NICE meetings for Feb. 2012 on major service adjustments/cuts

Marctalky1

If the N81 isn't extended there, I'd just create a new route to do Syosset-Oyster Bay.

Not a good idea. Way too little turnover, would have really high operating costs. Plus Oyster Bay is wealthy which leads to not that much ridership. Think of a short version of the W14, that's what it'll become. Or the SEPTA 132 Telford, which exists during the off peak soley due to county external operating subsidy.

Oyster Bay doesn't need service. The only real untapped service market I see in Nassau is Jericho Tpk from Mineola to Hicksville, which should be served either by an N24 extension or a new route. Syosset should also see something, maybe a Mineola-Syosset route via Jericho Tpk would work.

N81 via Woodbury Rd, as much as it would be a benefit for me, just won't garner enough ridership to warrant the relatively long mid-route diversion (and the shopping center is diagonally across the relatively busy intersection)

Not a good idea. Way too little turnover, would have really high operating costs. Plus Oyster Bay is wealthy which leads to not that much ridership. Think of a short version of the W14, that's what it'll become. Or the SEPTA 132 Telford, which exists during the off peak soley due to county external operating subsidy.

Oyster Bay doesn't need service. The only real untapped service market I see in Nassau is Jericho Tpk from Mineola to Hicksville, which should be served either by an N24 extension or a new route. Syosset should also see something, maybe a Mineola-Syosset route via Jericho Tpk would work.

N81 via Woodbury Rd, as much as it would be a benefit for me, just won't garner enough ridership to warrant the relatively long mid-route diversion (and the shopping center is diagonally across the relatively busy intersection)

Oyster Bay isn't that wealthy: Oyster Bay, New York (NY 11771) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news

Median household income: $79,802

Per capita income: $45,529

By contrast, here's Plainview: Plainview, New York (NY 11803) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders

Median household income: $115,253

Per capita income: $45,418

And here's Syosset: Syosset, New York (NY 11773, 11791) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders

Median household income: $126,252

Per capita income: $48,653

But it all depends if you can get to the portion of the area where you're likely to get riders. In the case of Oyster Bay, the more middle class area appears to be around the LIRR station, so there is potential for ridership there. In Syosset, you have shopping centers along Jackson Avenue, and in Plainview, you have the hospital (and the N78/79 pass through there on their way to other traffic generators).

As for serving Woodbury Road, I forgot to take that out. If Woodbury Road gets its service back, it should either be through the restoration of the N94, or the extension of a route from Hicksville, but it shouldn't get a mid-route diversion.

1) Wait. Would you eliminate Sunday service on the N27? :confused:

No, I'd eliminate the N27 south of Roosevelt Field since most of that route is already served by the N16, which would run on Sundays.

The N27 would still run to Glen Cove 7 days a week, but straight down Glen Cove Rd, most passengers board at RF, Greenvale, and Glen Cove/School St.

Ending the N40/41 at HTC may not be a bad idea, and having the N23 run to HTC instead, which preserves direct HTC-Roslyn Rail service with N27 on Glen Cove Rd. Only problem is there's ALOT of people that use the N40/41 between Mineola and HTC during rush hours, so I still think one of them should run to Mineola. Either that or have the N15 serve Mineola Transit Center and run down the former N40/41 route to HTC.

Not all of Oyster Bay is wealthy, there's actually a poor area of town by the train station I believe. Even Bayville isnt that wealthy. I bet some people would use the bus service there. THere's certainly wealthier areas like Great Neck and Kings Point which already get bus service.

Not all of Oyster Bay is wealthy, there's actually a poor area of town by the train station I believe. Even Bayville isnt that wealthy. I bet some people would use the bus service there. THere's certainly wealthier areas like Great Neck and Kings Point which already get bus service.

There's a pretty good chance Kings Pt loses service north of the Academy in April.

I'm not saying Oyster Bay has no ridership potential, I'm saying that the ridership potential does not justify, IMO, running bus service through relatively low-density areas to get there. If it were only a short extension of an existing route, I would certainly support it (just like how I support N27 to Locust Valley). Just look at the N20 nonstop segment in Brookville and how expensive it is even though its busy.

No, I'd eliminate the N27 south of Roosevelt Field since most of that route is already served by the N16, which would run on Sundays.

The N27 would still run to Glen Cove 7 days a week, but straight down Glen Cove Rd, most passengers board at RF, Greenvale, and Glen Cove/School St.

Ending the N40/41 at HTC may not be a bad idea, and having the N23 run to HTC instead, which preserves direct HTC-Roslyn Rail service with N27 on Glen Cove Rd. Only problem is there's ALOT of people that use the N40/41 between Mineola and HTC during rush hours, so I still think one of them should run to Mineola. Either that or have the N15 serve Mineola Transit Center and run down the former N40/41 route to HTC.

I see. Well, the N16 does see decent ridership on Saturdays, and the cost is reasonably low (I believe it was $2.84 per passenger), but I don't know if Veolia would really want to expand the hours.

On a side note, why are the Hempstead-RFM short-turns unevenly spaced? You have a 20 minute gap, and then the short-turn leaves 10 minutes before the regular run. I guess it's to prevent overcrowding (so the short-turns get most of the Hempstead-NCC/RFM passengers, and the regular runs get the riders going south of Hempstead)

As for cutting the N40/41 back to Hempstead, I think it's best to just keep them as is. The HTC might get a lot of turnover, but I'd imagine it still sees a lot of through-ridership. Now that I think about it, if you want to keep Roslyn-Hempstead access, you're better off leaving the N27 as is.

Man, you're just like Via Garibaldi. If the houses aren't pristine, the area is "poor". There's a difference between poor, working class and middle class. Most of the areas that LIers consider poor are either working class or lower middle class.

There's a pretty good chance Kings Pt loses service north of the Academy in April.

I'm not saying Oyster Bay has no ridership potential, I'm saying that the ridership potential does not justify, IMO, running bus service through relatively low-density areas to get there. If it were only a short extension of an existing route, I would certainly support it (just like how I support N27 to Locust Valley). Just look at the N20 nonstop segment in Brookville and how expensive it is even though its busy.

But the thing is that it's not really that long of a trip. Google Transit says it's about a 10 minute car ride between the Syosset and Oyster Bay LIRR stations.

I wish they restore N93 and add every 90 minutes service.

Minibus then? I think they should propose a lot of routes minibuses including N73/4 N80/1 have the n43 run more during midday and have 45 go from Uniondale to bellmore via minibus. Even n16 short turns should have minibus when they don't line us with the class schedule. N51 also should have minibus.

From reading the previous several posts, for the towns of Oyster Bay and Syosset. This route alignment would probably work, lets just say the route originate from Hicksville:

-Run along Woodbury Road.

-Left on S. Oyster Bay Road.

-Continue on Jackson Ave.

-Bear Left on Split Rock Road.

-Merge onto Route 106.

-Left on Main St.

[Layover]

-Left on Lexington Ave.

-Right on Route 106.

~follow North/Bound Route by going South and convert Left to Rights~

^This alignment assumes that there are sufficient commuter traffic and go thru areas where there are more dense street population and shopping areas.^

Rush hour only? Minibus?

Those were like the para buses but configured as shuttle buses instead of configured for para use, right?

Would it be cheaper to operate these buses on the route as opposed to the Orion buses they have?

Could they configure para buses to do this?

If not where would the money come from to buy/lease these buses?

Wouldn't it just be better to use the resources to buy buses that can be used on all routes?

Those were like the para buses but configured as shuttle buses instead of configured for para use, right?

Would it be cheaper to operate these buses on the route as opposed to the Orion buses they have?

Could they configure para buses to do this?

If not where would the money come from to buy/lease these buses?

Wouldn't it just be better to use the resources to buy buses that can be used on all routes?

I thought it would be cheaper to use both and just to retrofit all of the para transit buses with fare boxes.

What he meant was to eliminate N81 hicksville service and have it stay on oyster bay road en route to oyster bay which means no diversion and since it will time with soysset and bethpage LIRR trains that alone eliminates the need to even bother with hicksville anymore. ohh the SEPTA 132 was formerly part of the 96 and if extended as a ztreet road crosstown its ridership WILL increase. it's routing not making enough connections hinders ridership. Last I was on it it was CRUSHED!!!! after the train riders got on it damn

Question who's going to the Marriott meeting. I would like to meet up with a few people before the meeting maybe someone could make a poster with our presence at the meeting and group us together I would like to meet at Roosevelt Field.

I will go to Uniondale Meeting for short time and go to Great Neck one for 5-8pm.

Question who's going to the Marriott meeting. I would like to meet up with a few people before the meeting maybe someone could make a poster with our presence at the meeting and group us together I would like to meet at Roosevelt Field.

I will tell u my name in person at the meeting you will hear my wrath ha ha ha

Archived