NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did the N27 driver attempt to wait for the N20, then leave, or it just dropped off and left?

I hope you all are sending complaints to NICE. If they're goiig to combine routes and have timed transfers they have to make sure connections are made, ESPECIALLY on one hour headways!!! They may need a dispatcher there telling drivers to wait.

Damn, how long until the 35 or 51 came?

I don't think it's worth having a dispatcher when the routes are that infrequent. It probably costs the same amount just to convert those N20 runs back to N21s and then everybody's happy.

I don't think it's worth having a dispatcher when the routes are that infrequent. It probably costs the same amount just to convert those N20 runs back to N21s and then everybody's happy.

I don't mean indefinitely, just for a few days or so, so that drivers know to wait. AFAIK this is an issue just on Sat and Sun.

Starting tomorrow, the n6x will pick up passengers at 169th st. They are distributing flyers but no update on the website. I actually like the 179th st pickup as its separate from the n6 local stop whereas 169th st doesn't have as much space but I assume NICE is hoping more people who use to pick up the Limited at 169th get on the express there.

As of now I don't think they should eliminate the n6x.. there is certainly demand but perhaps some express buses need to be converted to locals

I am noticing some expresses have built up ridership but folks are not going to get on a local and then transfer to an express at 179th....this isn't like transferring from an express train to the local train across the platform.

Elmont riders are frustrated but they are closest to the city so they can take a local, the problem I have heard is that during AM peak some locals are so packed that the former Limited Elmont riders cannot get on, and then an express passes them by.

Plus I am seeing so many new drivers, some of whom are clueless, what happened?

Starting tomorrow, the n6x will pick up passengers at 169th st. They are distributing flyers but no update on the website. I actually like the 179th st pickup as its separate from the n6 local stop whereas 169th st doesn't have as much space but I assume NICE is hoping more people who use to pick up the Limited at 169th get on the express there.

As of now I don't think they should eliminate the n6x.. there is certainly demand but perhaps some express buses need to be converted to locals

I am noticing some expresses have built up ridership but folks are not going to get on a local and then transfer to an express at 179th....this isn't like transferring from an express train to the local train across the platform.

Elmont riders are frustrated but they are closest to the city so they can take a local, the problem I have heard is that during AM peak some locals are so packed that the former Limited Elmont riders cannot get on, and then an express passes them by.

Some n6x's should be converted into LIMITEDs I think. Its too bad that was eliminated.

They should have kept the n6 limited. As far as the drivers, yes they have alot of new ones who seem clueless, better get used to it. We're not going to have the same quality of operators that the MTA gave us, it will be more like Suffolk Transit! The other day I took the n22L at Westbury, going west, he made a turn onto Cherry Lane instead of going straight, after I told him he backed up down a one way street to turn the bus around, then north on Cherry and a left onto Westbury Ave. I bet there's gonna be alot more accidents. Another guy opened the door before the RR crossing like school bus drivers do. Alot of the former LIB operators are leaving too, Veolia doesn't want to pay anymore than 7 hours each day. Who can survive on that?

I don't think they need to bring back all Limited stops, I am not seeing super light expresses like the first week but of course the locals are overloaded. Maybe add another stop in Nassau but continue to skip the former 2 Limited stops in Queens. The Limited during rush hour would sometimes take close to an hour to Hempstead depending on traffic and the driver's skills.

I don't think they need to scrap the Express. As NICE is a for profit organization I would assume their goal is to increase ridership, which sadly means more local buses for the captive Elmont riders as they try to get people from the LIRR (primarily at Hempstead) to use the Express. I am a former LIRR rider who likes the Express but I am not sure how many *converts* NICE can get. I am assuming that beancounters have presented this option to the powers that be at NICE.

The Express combined with NYC subway saves a lot of money and now timewise is about equal although the comfort of the LIRR will always trump the bus. It is $10 peak from Hempstead to Penn on the LIRR now and the N6 Express to the F (select few E) trains at 179th into Manhattan gets you there for $2.25. Monthly metrocard is $104 and monthly combined LIRR/Metrocard is around $330 from Hempstead.

I got screwed today by the N24 it came to Roosevelt field at 1128 instead of 11 12, I missed the 79 at 11 45 and had an adventure getting a cab. I called they said we cannot hold the 79 its not fair to the people that are in Hicksville that need to go to work.

Edited by Marctalky1

I got screwed today by the N24 it came to Roosevelt field at 1128 instead of 11 12, I missed the 79 at 11 45 and had an adventure getting a cab. I called they said we cannot hold the 79 its not fair to the people that are in Hicksville that need to go to work.

Taklng a closer look, the N24 is scheduled to arrive Hicksville at 11:34. Maintaining the same lateness (16 minutes) it would have arrived HIcksivlle at 11:50. N79 would leave 5 minutes late. I don't see the problem holding the N79 for 5 or 6 minutes compared to telling a N24 passener to wait 55 minutes for the next N79. The N79 is scheduled to arrive Walt Whitman at 12:21 and turnaround at 12:30, which can handle a 5 minute delay.

Taklng a closer look, the N24 is scheduled to arrive Hicksville at 11:34. Maintaining the same lateness (16 minutes) it would have arrived HIcksivlle at 11:50. N79 would leave 5 minutes late. I don't see the problem holding the N79 for 5 or 6 minutes compared to telling a N24 passener to wait 55 minutes for the next N79. The N79 is scheduled to arrive Walt Whitman at 12:21 and turnaround at 12:30, which can handle a 5 minute delay.

I told them its not fair to wait an hour because you have bad drivers they said so what wait an hour!

I told them its not fair to wait an hour because you have bad drivers they said so what wait an hour!

That mentality is what's driving riders away from NICE. I'm sure there will be more than 20,000 lost by the end of this year. Could be a 50% reduction in ridership, which is what the county wants, less riders, less buses. They dont care about the n27 connections either. Cab business is booming, and remember cab companies sit on the NICE advisory board!

Anyone with standards will use the LIRR, get a car or a ride with friends or family, or walk. What's left will be those with no standards. Sadly some of the riders dont mind delays and dont complain about waiting another hour. That's what'll be left riding NICE.

That mentality is what's driving riders away from NICE. I'm sure there will be more than 20,000 lost by the end of this year. Could be a 50% reduction in ridership, which is what the county wants, less riders, less buses. They dont care about the n27 connections either. Cab business is booming, and remember cab companies sit on the NICE advisory board!

Anyone with standards will use the LIRR, get a car or a ride with friends or family, or walk. What's left will be those with no standards. Sadly some of the riders dont mind delays and dont complain about waiting another hour. That's what'll be left riding NICE.

But Veolia has to care because their profit is based on ridership. Yes, they have a guarantee. But if ridership falls, the death spiral of cutting routes to save money begins. I thought Veolia was hired because the MTA was on the death spiral route.

But Veolia has to care because their profit is based on ridership. Yes, they have a guarantee. But if ridership falls, the death spiral of cutting routes to save money begins. I thought Veolia was hired because the MTA was on the death spiral route.

What they are doing is minding ridership later, cuts first, for profit or not. Veolia is basically doing stuff worse than the (MTA), (MTA) just cut the routes that see low ridership, Veolia is trying to get ridership down across the County and what I am seeing is only the n4, n6, n20, n22, n24, n31 merged with n32 and n33 routes left after all settle if Veolia stays and Mangano stays. Basically as we know it and said it, only the routes with decent amounts of ridership connecting to the NYC Subway are here to stay. Perhaps NICE won't even need a new order of busses after the 1500's/1600's are gone.

What they are doing is minding ridership later, cuts first, for profit or not. Veolia is basically doing stuff worse than the (MTA), (MTA) just cut the routes that see low ridership, Veolia is trying to get ridership down across the County and what I am seeing is only the n4, n6, n20, n22, n24, n31 merged with n32 and n33 routes left after all settle if Veolia stays and Mangano stays. Basically as we know it and said it, only the routes with decent amounts of ridership connecting to the NYC Subway are here to stay. Perhaps NICE won't even need a new order of busses after the 1500's/1600's are gone.

And that is worse than the (MTA) cuts. If only the routes that go to the NYC subway remain, vast areas of the county will be left without any bus service at all. It'll make Suffolk Transit look NICE. The message Mangano is sending is simple, if you rely on the bus, get a car, walk, or take a cab, because the county doesn't give a damn about you. I've been noticing more cabs around the county, I wonder if Dollar Vans are next? At least they're cheaper than a cab.

And by the way I spoke with a bus operator today who was training someone, he drives the n6 and told me that the situation "could explode at any moment". He said he's been on the n6x and had to drive past HUNDREDS of people waiting at bus stops in Elmont and Franklin Square. And when he's stopped at a light people start yelling and banging on the bus door to get on. But he cant pick them up. Thats gotta be torture.

I gotta head down there myself and document the chaos. I'm sure eventually those pax will get fed up and discover the LIRR is only a mile or two walk north.

I took a 32 out of Hempstead at at 4:40, there was an n6x waiting to back up while my bus passed by. There were three people in it, not including the B/O, while a line of about 35 people for the local gave collective "What the f--k" looks and gestures. They've even had to label locals just so that people don't get confused.

And by the way I spoke with a bus operator today who was training someone, he drives the n6 and told me that the situation "could explode at any moment". He said he's been on the n6x and had to drive past HUNDREDS of people waiting at bus stops in Elmont and Franklin Square. And when he's stopped at a light people start yelling and banging on the bus door to get on. But he cant pick them up. Thats gotta be torture.

I gotta head down there myself and document the chaos. I'm sure eventually those pax will get fed up and discover the LIRR is only a mile or two walk north.

Please document the chaos, I haven't been able to. Maybe then you can show the LIB Riders Union so they can have something of substance to show. Some of those riders should attempty to back track east to the next Express stop . (Meacham Ave & Westminster Rd). If they can get bypassed by tons of local buses they can certainly backtrack to the next express stop.

I took a 32 out of Hempstead at at 4:40, there was an n6x waiting to back up while my bus passed by. There were three people in it, not including the B/O, while a line of about 35 people for the local gave collective "What the f--k" looks and gestures. They've even had to label locals just so that people don't get confused.

Total Fubar this change was. I still don't understand how they thought the majority of riders going to the subway were going to/from Hempstead.

The N22express is working out great - practically every seat is taken whenever I take it. The N22/N22A often took over an hour to go from Roosevelt Field to 179th St, and it often flagged passengers down the line since it was crush loaded. The new N22 express is a win-win, since 50+ people per bus get to 179th St much faster (helps express passengers) and since 50+ people are no longer on a local bus taking up space, the local passengers won't get flagged anymore (helps local passengers).

From feedback above, it looks like the N6express may need an additional stop or two in Nassau County.