Gas Prices rising again in 2012

Shortline Bus

I pay $1100 for the year (2x 6-month premium) for car insurance. I pretty much do my own maintenance on the car myself or with some friends. I fill up gas maybe every 2 weeks or so (costing me maybe $35-45 to fill up.)

If I bought a monthly every month for the year, it'll cost me $1250 for the year, already exceeding my insurance.

I much rather drive to work then take the MTA at this point. Yeah, the gas money and routine oil changes and such costs will add on to the $1100 but I'll pay those extra fees rather way ridiculous delays and unexpected events that the MTA usually gives me.

But this is all based that I drive in Brooklyn/Queens as well, I rarely drive out into Manhattan because 90% of the time...it's suicide.

I just want to do a cost analysis of ALL of the expenses you would normally have for the year when having a car, including maintenance, as there is no way in hell that I'm bothering with fixing the car. There are other fees that I believe you're leaving out... I mean if I did have a car it would have to be something high end like an Audi or something. I see some people driving around in real clunkers and I say to myself if I had to drive that I'd rather walk. LMAO.

Anywho, I pay about $2,600.00 a year for my Express Bus Plus cards (52 weeks X $50.00/wk) and realistically if I had a car it would only be used maybe on weekends seeing that over 90% of my trips are to and from the city with occasional trips to Brooklyn, which is also served by the express bus. So I want to see how much more it would cost me a year just to have a car to drive around "occasionally" even though the express buses run 7 days a week where I'm at in Riverdale and are just a few short blocks away...

I pay $1100 for the year (2x 6-month premium) for car insurance. I pretty much do my own maintenance on the car myself or with some friends. I fill up gas maybe every 2 weeks or so (costing me maybe $35-45 to fill up.)

If I bought a monthly every month for the year, it'll cost me $1250 for the year, already exceeding my insurance.

I much rather drive to work then take the MTA at this point. Yeah, the gas money and routine oil changes and such costs will add on to the $1100 but I'll pay those extra fees rather way ridiculous delays and unexpected events that the MTA usually gives me.

But this is all based that I drive in Brooklyn/Queens as well, I rarely drive out into Manhattan because 90% of the time...it's suicide.

That a big issue the (MTA) and NYC/NYS and the surronding outerboros and counties of LI, North Jersey and Fairfield County, CT fail to address. Not everyone is using a Subway/Regional rail i.e (NJT) LIRR or Metro North or Commutter Bus lines to Manhattan.

Thussomeone like Peace living in the outerboros of NYC is almost forced if they can afford it use their car. With gas price now more unpredictable than the weather, this is where improved mass transit would be helpful.

(PS QJtrainmaster please hold off on your ideas lol)

Even with one of the best transit network on the planet, NYC is like the rest of America in which 85-90% of the public must use a car. Again it does matter if the gas prices (if you don't live near a train line)goes up or not as it could be the difference between ending this recession that started in 2007, or going back to 10%-plus national unemployment rates.:confused:

Even with one of the best transit network on the planet, NYC is like the rest of America in which 85-90% of the public must use a car. Again it does matter if the gas prices (if you don't live near a train line)goes up or not as it could be the difference between ending this recession that started in 2007, or going back to 10%-plus national unemployment rates.:confused:

Actually that's not quite right. I believe more than half of New Yorkers don't own a car.

Yea I don't think the 2nd ave Subway wouldn't benefit anyone other then the people living in the upper east side.:)

Actually that's not quite right. I believe more than half of New Yorkers don't own a car.

Why would They ? when you got the best transportation system in the world, better or worse.

Just calculated my daily self-maintenance costs and gas, my grand total came out to nearly $1900-2000. So right now it's better off for me to drive to work and not MTA. As Shortline noted as well, if I do take the MTA to work, I would have to transfer 4 times to get to work rather a 45 minute drive to work. (After driving the same route for a bit, you'll find faster roads to bypass traffic conditions.)

Another note on the "I see some people driving around in real clunkers and I say to myself if I had to drive that I'd rather walk." comment, depending on your taste and classification of "clunker," that's pure opinion. For example, to regular people, my 240sx with the SR motor; people would say it looks like shit. But to car enthusiast, they would know that the motor itself is worthy already.

Jokingly, take your Audi, my fellow mechanics love them. They always come in with electrical problems. More money in their pockets. =]

He's correct, 75% of New Yorkers lease their cars, so technically they don't own them.

Just calculated my daily self-maintenance costs and gas, my grand total came out to nearly $1900-2000. So right now it's better off for me to drive to work and not MTA. As Shortline noted as well, if I do take the MTA to work, I would have to transfer 4 times to get to work rather a 45 minute drive to work. (After driving the same route for a bit, you'll find faster roads to bypass traffic conditions.)

Another note on the "I see some people driving around in real clunkers and I say to myself if I had to drive that I'd rather walk." comment, depending on your taste and classification of "clunker," that's pure opinion. For example, to regular people, my 240sx with the SR motor; people would say it looks like shit. But to car enthusiast, they would know that the motor itself is worthy already.

Jokingly, take your Audi, my fellow mechanics love them. They always come in with electrical problems. More money in their pockets. =]

He's correct, 75% of New Yorkers lease their cars, so technically they don't own them.

My dad pays he's friend to Carpool, Win-Win.

Yea I don't think the 2nd ave Subway wouldn't benefit anyone other then the people living in the upper east side.:)

Why would They ? when you got the best transportation system in the world, better or worse.

Not saying they would... Just making a correction.

Well yes, much like the newer Mercedes Benz, but I still love looking at an Audi A6... Such a classy European car... I think though for gas purposes though I would have to look at other options, but yeah I would probably lease too. I mean everybody wants a new car every 3 years or so. Less aggravation too, esp. with the pothole filled streets here in the city. B)

Getting back to the cost factor though, so with insurance, gas and maintenance you're saying it would cost about $3,100.00??

Not saying they would... Just making a correction.

Well yes, much like the newer Mercedes Benz, but I still love looking at an Audi A6... Such a classy European car... I think though for gas purposes though I would have to look at other options, but yeah I would probably lease too. I mean everybody wants a new car every 3 years or so. Less aggravation too, esp. with the pothole filled streets here in the city. B)

Getting back to the cost factor though, so with insurance, gas and maintenance you're saying it would cost about $3,100.00??

Hey VG8 and his 'upper east side' taste for cars lol. Personally a nice Lexus, Volvo or a high end Buick or Caddy for American cars and i am good to go.:)

No, the $1900-2000 estimate price was with the insurance included. As young as I am, my insurance was surprisingly low and once I hit that 25 years old mark, I hope it will drop a bit more.

I tend to not drive much on the weekends well because it's a coupe and me and some of my friends just bring out a jeep to carpool and such.

Also, basically the only reason I haven't upgrade my car yet was because of the gas prices. I actually had a budget to pick up a new E350 from Mercedes but I don't want to go out of my way and fill up with Premium every week.

No, the $1900-2000 estimate price was with the insurance included. As young as I am, my insurance was surprisingly low and once I hit that 25 years old mark, I hope it will drop a bit more.

I tend to not drive much on the weekends well because it's a coupe and me and some of my friends just bring out a jeep to carpool and such.

Also, basically the only reason I haven't upgrade my car yet was because of the gas prices. I actually had a budget to pick up a new E350 from Mercedes but I don't want to go out of my way and fill up with Premium every week.

Of course your $1,900 - 2,000 a year excludes a monthly car payment (which most folks have), maintenance (which you do yourself) and then gas... Way more than $2,000 when you look at it from that perspective...

VG8 i meant 85-90% of Americans in the entire country have or need access to a car. That true that 55% of NYC residents (mainly in Manhattan) dont own a car.

I believe the national autoless rate is 8% of all households. IIRC, the rate is the following for each borough:

* Manhattan: 75%

* Brooklyn: 60%

* Bronx: 60%

* Queens: 40%

* Staten Island: 18%

I'm too lazy to double check, but you can do it here: Index of /reports/cpsheets (look for "Brooklyn factsheet", "Bronx factsheet", etc)

Half of all NYC households don't own a car. That makes a difference because single people are more likely to be autoless than families.

So the number of people who have access to cars is greater than 45%. If a husband and wife own a car, it's listed as one household having access to a car, but 2 people are able to use that car. If they have 3 children, it's 5 people who are able to use that car.

Because the transportation system may not serve their needs. Yeah, if you work in Manhattan, the transit system probably works well for you (or at least, it's not worth owning a car for the trip). But if you're traveling reverse-peak out of Manhattan, or if you're traveling within the outer boroughs or out to the suburbs, a car often makes the trip easier. How much easier varies based on the specific trip. If you're traveling from say, Bay Ridge to Greenpoint, the difference in time might not be enough to justify getting a car, but if you're traveling out to JFK Airport, then it's probably worth getting a car because even though the trip is doable, it takes much longer by public transportation.

1) Just calculated my daily self-maintenance costs and gas, my grand total came out to nearly $1900-2000. So right now it's better off for me to drive to work and not MTA.

2) He's correct, 75% of New Yorkers lease their cars, so technically they don't own them.

1) 12 monthly passes would be $1,248 per year, so using transit would still be cheaper. (But if you have to make a bunch of transfers and it takes much longer, then obviously it's worth the extra money)

2) Where'd you get that figure? In any case, the 55% includes people who are leasing it for a long period of time (I think it was 3 months)

Of course your $1,900 - 2,000 a year excludes a monthly car payment (which most folks have), maintenance (which you do yourself) and then gas... Way more than $2,000 when you look at it from that perspective...

To be fair, you can get back a portion of the monthly payment when you sell the car.

Half of all NYC households don't own a car. That makes a difference because single people are more likely to be autoless than families.

So the number of people who have access to cars is greater than 45%. If a husband and wife own a car, it's listed as one household having access to a car, but 2 people are able to use that car. If they have 3 children, it's 5 people who are able to use that car.

Okay and what exactly are you arguing??? :confused:

Because the transportation system may not serve their needs. Yeah, if you work in Manhattan, the transit system probably works well for you (or at least, it's not worth owning a car for the trip). But if you're traveling reverse-peak out of Manhattan, or if you're traveling within the outer boroughs or out to the suburbs, a car often makes the trip easier. How much easier varies based on the specific trip. If you're traveling from say, Bay Ridge to Greenpoint, the difference in time might not be enough to justify getting a car, but if you're traveling out to JFK Airport, then it's probably worth getting a car because even though the trip is doable, it takes much longer by public transportation.

That's obvious. You're taking his comment wayyy too literal as usual.

To be fair, you can get back a portion of the monthly payment when you sell the car.

Assuming you actually sell the car. If you're leasing the car then you could trade it in.

@VG8, I don't make payments. I currently paid cash for the car I drive.

@checkmatechamp13, I know how much 12 unlimited monthly's are. If you read the previous posts on page 2 til 3 you'd understand why I still chose the car over MTA. Secondly the 75% thing, I've based it over 2 dealerships I've worked at (Nissan and Ford.) Based on their sales, they've sold leases over buying. Obviously is wasn't a perfect number crunch that you were probably aiming for.

1) Okay and what exactly are you arguing??? :confused:

2) That's obvious. You're taking his comment wayyy too literal as usual.

3) Assuming you actually sell the car. If you're leasing the car then you could trade it in.

1) I'm arguing that the transit system isn't extensive enough for 55% of the population to be car free. That a certain percentage of people still feel they need a car, but it doesn't have to be all to themselves, but it's not the same as being completely car-free.

2) It seemed to me as though he was advocating for everybody in the city to be car-free when he said "You've got the best public transportation system in the world".

3) True...

@VG8, I don't make payments. I currently paid cash for the car I drive.

@checkmatechamp13, I know how much 12 unlimited monthly's are. If you read the previous posts on page 2 til 3 you'd understand why I still chose the car over MTA. Secondly the 75% thing, I've based it over 2 dealerships I've worked at (Nissan and Ford.) Based on their sales, they've sold leases over buying. Obviously is wasn't a perfect number crunch that you were probably aiming for.

Yeah, I know. You have to make 4 transfers to get to work, but I'm just saying that transit would still be cheaper, though not worth the savings.

Yeah, I know. You have to make 4 transfers to get to work, but I'm just saying that transit would still be cheaper, though not worth the savings.

Transit would be cheaper, but for the time it takes to actually get to work, I minus'd out routine maintenance fees and gas, and only counted insurance which is $1100 for me. So in a way car is cheaper. But I know what you are trying to say.

1) I'm arguing that the transit system isn't extensive enough for 55% of the population to be car free. That a certain percentage of people still feel they need a car, but it doesn't have to be all to themselves, but it's not the same as being completely car-free.

Well that's fine... Suit yourself since I made no such argument. lol

2) It seemed to me as though he was advocating for everybody in the city to be car-free when he said "You've got the best public transportation system in the world".

Not really... You left out the entire quote in which he said "Why would [th]ey when you got the best transportation system in the world, better or worse."

"For better or worse" clearly implies that he knows that the system isn't perfect and may not meet everyone's needs, but it's a damn good one nonetheless, so like I said, pointless to argue that one too.

Try on 4.99 a gallon at Horace Harding and Springfield Blvd.....some one should call 311 and tell em about the price gouging, and that's for regular!

Ouch:mad:. $4.99 a gallon? And in worse case it really could be $5 a gallon by summer. Here last night (2/26/12) ABC World News weekend report.

Even if you don't drive the high gas prices can affect all of us. Everything from higher milk and food prices being a great example.

Gas Prices on Daily Rise 2012; Americans Start to Feel Economic Impact - YouTube

I catch the bus to work. No way in hell I'm driving my car. My gf the school bus company she works at they let them take the bus home, so my car only moves when it needs to and when we go out.

You lucky bro(553)you can get to work for 'free' as a (NJT) driver. However most other people are not that lucky.B)

Archived