Gas Prices rising again in 2012

Shortline Bus

So here we go again. Anyone notice that across America, gas prices (despite most of the country having one of the warmest winters on record)are shooting up to their highest prices in 4 years? In my neck of the woods 'regular' unleaded is now almost Four bucks at around $3.89 a gallon and climbing. So if you don't think the gas prices on the climb again is not a big political issue, look at Wednesday Night's (2/22/12) ABC News World News with Diane Sawyer and a reporter actually witnessing at a Downtown LA gas prices regular unleaded rise to $5.00 a gallon. Is this related to the US presidential elections? other reasons? So guys i await your reactions?:mad:

It happens every year.

we got to $4.00 last year by the end of April then after memorial day it went back down, and back then all the so called 'analysts' were doing the same song and dance about it that they are doing now.

Still cheaper to drive, if school is about 3 miles away, and you have a car that gets 26mpg in city driving (cuz unless you're in far eastern Suffolk, you're not getting much highway mileage) a round trip is about 2/5th of a gallon, which roughly calculates to 88 cents at $4.09 a gallon. the alternative is two buses that take you far out of the way at $2.25 a ride, which is $4.50 round trip. When you factor in the cost of time for waiting for the buses which have hourly schedules and the time it takes driving out of the way for the other one to transfer to, its even more of a lower cost to just drive.

I happen to have a little Toyota, not a big vehicle.

4banger FTW, my nice little SR20DET makes 19mpg in city. Obviously not as good as other 4bangers or hybrids but I drive more highway so I'm content.

Still though... You have to pay for insurance, maintenance, etc. I just pay for my express bus. :cool:

Still though... You have to pay for insurance, maintenance, etc. I just pay for my express bus. :cool:

Dude NOT everybody has that option. In LA express buses are too infrequent to help the rail forcing ppl to drive against their will. LI has HORRIBLE rush hour bus service rendering bus to rail use unfeasible in eastern LI. NJ and philly have very INCOMPLETE networks that ignore many travel markets that have no transit option. In maryland the commuter bus service and outer bus service is too inflexible to cater to non traditional and travellers going through DC however MARC helps but only so much. The poor souls in northern NJ around the GWB don't have transit that reaches where they need to go in NYC they are forced to drive through HELL. outerborough commuters that is a HUGE travel market MTA IS IGNORING completely. That is why the gowanus and BQE are parking lots!!!! Don't even get me started on CT and upstate you sir are very insensitive. Not every body can just take a bus or 2 to get to their destination in a flash. Not everyone can simply bus to train or train to train everywhere. Think like one who has no choice then you will understand how they feel.

Shoreline, yes gas is going up, can we do something about? No; we just have to deal with it. You keep creating these threads like no one knows what's going on. It's on the damn news everyday.

553 so if you unhappy about it about threads that fine you don't have to comment it. Not meant to be rude 553 but what threads you want to create then here in the off topic thread?

This is a very important topic that could force our economy back into a deep recession. Not to mention having possible huge impact on the upcoming elections.

So if People are talking about it all the country so it does imo need to be mentioned. Also it relates to why 98% of us joined NYCTF in the first place and that to promote mass transit that makes common sense.

No offense but it's a more legit topic than say NYCTF bus/subway "Jeopardy" lol.

Gas prices go up and down like a roller coaster. it happens , it will go back to normal. I wouldn't be surprised if gas goes up to $6 and people will go out of control.

It not even about shortages or tensions in the middle east anymore, but just speculation from your good old friend at wall street. the ones got us into the 2008 mass.

Shoreline, yes gas is going up, can we do something about? No; we just have to deal with it. You keep creating these threads like no one knows what's going on. It's on the damn news everyday.

I don't have a TV (well more like I choose to not have a TV). He can post like this to high heaven for all I care. It's information I'm happy to come here and read. I'd rather read this forum than watch TV for the news anyway. There are a lot of people here that are willing to discuss these issues in a respectable manner and I've enjoyed reading their feedback and hearing their argue points.

I pay $1100 for the year (2x 6-month premium) for car insurance. I pretty much do my own maintenance on the car myself or with some friends. I fill up gas maybe every 2 weeks or so (costing me maybe $35-45 to fill up.)

If I bought a monthly every month for the year, it'll cost me $1250 for the year, already exceeding my insurance.

I much rather drive to work then take the MTA at this point. Yeah, the gas money and routine oil changes and such costs will add on to the $1100 but I'll pay those extra fees rather way ridiculous delays and unexpected events that the MTA usually gives me.

But this is all based that I drive in Brooklyn/Queens as well, I rarely drive out into Manhattan because 90% of the time...it's suicide.

Archived