Why am I so damn fascinated with buses?

Transitfan007

Ever since I was a child I was fascinated riding the (B46) to Kings Plaza passing the depot on way looking at all those buses parked up wanting to be a bus driver some day. Loved to go on bus trips outa state ex: six flags, etc. Taking the Greyhound to Canada and back, fascinated with all the MCIs GMs, my favorite back in the day was the GMC new look, today its the MCI D4500.

Every time I pass through the Lincoln Tunnel during AM rush hour I feel like a kid watching all those buses make their run, Academy, (NJT) (MTA), Lakeland, CoachUSA, etc.

Does anybody have the same passion like I do or am I just crazy?

What I enjoy about the forum is to read all the information that is available from the wonderful members who participate here. You are not crazy at all as many of us have had this fascination with buses, (subways, railroads, trolleys etc) as well, no matter what is our age. By participating in the give and take of the forum, you are helping share information in developing a historical record of buses in the New York City Area from the riders, bus drivers, mechanics and enthusiasts and everyone else interested in transit history.

I hated city buses growing up (The (B41) to both Kings Plz and downtown, or connecting routes to grandma's; though the Kings Plz stretch wasn't as bad), but loved interstate coaches, because they took you someplace new, and the gates in the Port Authority were so interesting. I came to like the power and flow of the 8V-71/HT740 hookup. In the 80's, they began using the 6V's on interstate coaches, which made them sound a bit like "city" buses, and at the same time, I also noticed transit or suburban buses using 8V71's.

So I became interested in buses and Detroit Diesels in general. Still preferred a nice interstate trip, and the ride was just as good as the destination.

It was also interesting when ADB's were introduced, because growing up on almost 100% "new looks", that was what a "bus" WAS, and the ADB's were so different But over time, as they replaced new looks, I became more nostalgic about them.

Now, with even the Detroit 2 strokes gone, and everything being a more boxy "ADB" design, the only interest now is on cosmetic stuff like LED signs, lighting, or perhaps new design features in some models (like the rear of the LFS's resembles a new look, with the window and AC).

I hated city buses growing up (The (B41) to both Kings Plz and downtown, or connecting routes to grandma's; though the Kings Plz stretch wasn't as bad), but loved interstate coaches, because they took you someplace new, and the gates in the Port Authority were so interesting. I came to like the power and flow of the 8V-71/HT740 hookup. In the 80's, they began using the 6V's on interstate coaches, which made them sound a bit like "city" buses, and at the same time, I also noticed transit or suburban buses using 8V71's.

So I became interested in buses and Detroit Diesels in general. Still preferred a nice interstate trip, and the ride was just as good as the destination.

It was also interesting when ADB's were introduced, because growing up on almost 100% "new looks", that was what a "bus" WAS, and the ADB's were so different But over time, as they replaced new looks, I became more nostalgic about them.

Now, with even the Detroit 2 strokes gone, and everything being a more boxy "ADB" design, the only interest now is on cosmetic stuff like LED signs, lighting, or perhaps new design features in some models (like the rear of the LFS's resembles a new look, with the window and AC).

Man I used love riding the city buses especially when used skip empty stops and kick into 3rd gear: on the other hand yes OTR trips were the best for me:tup:

• 2 weeks later...
Every time I pass through the Lincoln Tunnel during AM rush hour I feel like a kid watching all those buses make their run, Academy, (NJT) (MTA), Lakeland, CoachUSA, etc.

Does anybody have the same passion like I do or am I just crazy?

Yes. I used to love seeing all those buses coming into the city from all over north Jersey, the times I'd be heading through the Lincoln Tunnel out of the city.

And now? What I wouldn't give for one more ride on one of the old Bee-Line 6V92TA Flxibles kicking into high gear up in northern Westchester. That ride on the 12 from Armonk to Mount Kisco (RIP) was seventh heaven on a Flx. :tup::tup::tup:

You know, I wonder why (NYCT) or (MTA) Bus doesn't have jakes installed on their MCIs, especially the ones the NJTPK? Can someone give me some feedback. Thanks...

I guess cuz they're to loud but then again I'm hearing from multiple places that 1861 (the first MCI we had) had jake brakes in it but they were turned down

• 2 weeks later...

Archived