Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For some reason, I saw two 2011 NGs from MF on the 25.  I was on 1824 headed north and I can't remember the number of the other one.  I suppose that the arrival of the 3Gs is allowing MF to transfer some of those NGs to RVC.

Trading between depots is happening more often now, from what I've seen. I've seen 1800s in the high 30s that were originally sent to RVC on the n20. Those depot stickers mean nothing now.

I guess it's all about what depot is close enough to say #1624 on the deading from the N33?

It has nothing to do with that or (for example) every bus that originates or terminates in Freeport on any line would be a Rockville Centre bus.  Rockville Centre is a lot smaller than Mitchel Field and cannot handle a large capacity of buses or drivers.

Whenever I hear nice talk about Mitchel Field it seems the refer to it as the Norman J. Levy Transit Facility in news and press releases.

It really depends where you're looking and what you're talking about. The building itself and the older V CNGs recognize it as the Norman J. Levy Transit Facility because it was originally named after him. The NGs all had Mitchel Field stickers. When the (MTA) started to consolidate things in Regional Bus Operations, the depot needed a shorter nickname to recognize its location, so they decided to use Mitchel Field because of the air field close by.

Brett, do the buses get annoyed when someone calls it the Norman J. Levy Transit Facility?  Do the buses prefer Mitchel Field?  :P

It really depends where you're looking and what you're talking about. The building itself and the older V CNGs recognize it as the Norman J. Levy Transit Facility because it was originally named after him. The NGs all had Mitchel Field stickers. When the (MTA) started to consolidate things in Regional Bus Operations, the depot needed a shorter nickname to recognize its location, so they decided to use Mitchel Field because of the air field close by.

Brett, I know, I'm talking recently.  Have you noticed this as well?

Operations, the depot needed a shorter nickname to recognize its location, so they decided to use Mitchel Field because of the air field close by.

The odd thing is Levy is shorter and easier to say than Mitchel Field.  For many drivers it wll always be Michel Field...

Brett, do the buses get annoyed when someone calls it the Norman J. Levy Transit Facility?  Do the buses prefer Mitchel Field?  :P

Brett, I know, I'm talking recently.  Have you noticed this as well?

The odd thing is Levy is shorter and easier to say than Mitchel Field.  For many drivers it wll always be Michel Field...

I think the buses look better with a depot sticker on them. But NICE doesn't care what the buses want because they took away the depot stickers.. BAD PEOPLE! Yea, I've noticed that, especially with Newsday, they tend to switch between the names often. NICE at the community meetings has always called it Mitchel Field from what I've seen. For me too, it will always be Mitchel Field.

I think the buses look better with a depot sticker on them. But NICE doesn't care what the buses want because they took away the depot stickers.. BAD PEOPLE! Yea,

Do the buses like the depot stickers?  Have you asked them?  :P  lol

I personally like the depot stickers and would like to see them on the bus, but really who looks at the depot stickers?  Employees and bus fans,  Is a depot sticker really a nessasary expense, what else are they good for?  I could see back in the day where a depot sticker was needed to look at a bus and see where it belongs but now a days the people who need this information have it at thier fingertips.

I've noticed that, especially with Newsday, they tend to switch between the names often. NICE at the community meetings has always called it Mitchel Field from what I've seen. For me too, it will always be Mitchel Field.

This is interesting, I think this may be a case of who you talk to.  Someone might think the building is called one thing and another might think another.  I am leaning tihs way now that you mentioned Newsday, someone from around here may call it Mitch Field while someone out of state, let's say from a national PR office may call it another name.

Very interesting though, both good names and both men deserve having the honor.

Edited by Burrstone

It's getting harder and harder to see:

1. Orion Vs

2. NGs that are still in LIB livery

3. Destination signs with a capital "N"

You guys need to go fanning out at Sunrise Mall more often I see at least one of the three on the n19 everyday!

Trading between depots is happening more often now, from what I've seen. I've seen 1800s in the high 30s that were originally sent to RVC on the n20. Those depot stickers mean nothing now.

I was just thinking maybe the trading between depots has to do with the painting of the buses?  A bus is taken to Mitchel Field to be painted and they send whatever Mitchel Field has at the time to replace the bus that was taken ...???

I was just thinking maybe the trading between depots has to do with the painting of the buses?  A bus is taken to Mitchel Field to be painted and they send whatever Mitchel Field has at the time to replace the bus that was taken ...???

Could be, could be... there must be some sort of inconvenience of painting/wrapping the buses since they're all not in NICE livery after a year.

Edited by Brett