Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Today, after I took 6:42 n20 Roslyn with Cindy to Searingtown for n23 Hempstead to Clock Tower, then waited for Cindy driving 8:35 n21 Flushing, on n21 Flushing had good amount of people coming from affected area. About 20 people were onboard. There was one female passenger who remember me and she was seating near front seat facing toward clock tower.

She lives off n21 route and she and n21 riders really want n21 back. She told me she's tired of walking all the way to downtown from her house on n21 strecht in Glen Clove-Greenvale area to take n27 to n20. Spanish-riders don't like Veolia either.

Well, its too bad she lives on the n21 route. You could tell her to either 1) get a car or 2) find more people to ride the n21 daily. About 20 people on a bus doesn't mean much when the bus can fit more than 40 people. Especially considering past Roslyn, during the day (here I go repeating myself again), the n21 ran empty. I see no reason to restore it. Her complaining isn't going to fix the situation.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, its too bad she lives on the n21 route. You could tell her to either 1) get a car or 2) find more people to ride the n21 daily. About 20 people on a bus doesn't mean much when the bus can fit more than 40 people. Especially considering past Roslyn, during the day (here I go repeating myself again), the n21 ran empty. I see no reason to restore it. Her complaining isn't going to fix the situation.

I heard Glen Clove has lots of poor people. I think she might be one of them.

If I could be bothered to get my SD card out of my phone, I'd upload a picture of the N20 shelter by Hicksville station... literally none of the sidewalks around there were cleaned and people either had to walk through 5' high snow drifts or stand dangerously close to traffic (like I did) just to wait for a bus.  It's amazing how people look down on non-drivers here.

If I could be bothered to get my SD card out of my phone, I'd upload a picture of the N20 shelter by Hicksville station... literally none of the sidewalks around there were cleaned and people either had to walk through 5' high snow drifts or stand dangerously close to traffic (like I did) just to wait for a bus.  It's amazing how people look down on non-drivers here.

Well the n20 shelter at Hicksville is in front of a dirty parking lot and isn't on LIRR property, so I guess nobody sees the need to clear it.

I slip triple going down Roslyn from Clock Tower bus stop to deli store on sidewalk due to downhill. Then after Cindy's n21 bus coming soon, I walk oncoming lane on Old Northern Blvd back uphill to Clock Tower and all the drivers moved to their left unlike Suffolk drivers.

My reply here http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/38065-shovel-your-sidewalks/

What is going to happen in the nice world if Tom Suozzi gets back into office?

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2013/02/13/former-nassau-county-executive-suozzi-running-again/

It would be good for bus service if the County gets a Democrat in office, but its gonna be hard to get him voted into office again given the rich like Mango.

It would be good for bus service if the County gets a Democrat in office, but its gonna be hard to get him voted into office again given the rich like Mango.

I do remember MTA having budget problems under Suozzi as well. But Mangano took it to an all new low, cutting that bus subsidy to the measley 2.6 million, just a fraction of what it was, and privatization. I want to see Suozzi take on Mangano with this issue, especially being that he's from Glen Cove. Which makes me wonder if those April 8th cuts were political in the 1st place, as Mangano wanted to hit Glen Cove hard. The (MTA) never would've screwed Glen Cove like that.

It's disgraceful. Many sidewalks on busy roads are covered in mounds of snow. Isn't there a fine for not clearing the sidewalk? If there isnt then there should be, and it should be enforced. Considering how the county and towns are hurtingh for revenue, you'd think they'd enforce it. But then again, if you don't own a car you're looked at as less desirable than a pile of fresh dog crap. :(

I do remember MTA having budget problems under Suozzi as well. But Mangano took it to an all new low, cutting that bus subsidy to the measley 2.6 million, just a fraction of what it was, and privatization. I want to see Suozzi take on Mangano with this issue, especially being that he's from Glen Cove. Which makes me wonder if those April 8th cuts were political in the 1st place, as Mangano wanted to hit Glen Cove hard. The (MTA) never would've screwed Glen Cove like that.

Well for starters, NICE will have to spend $$ to change the County Executive's name on every single bus.

It would be good for bus service if the County gets a Democrat in

office, but its gonna be hard to get him voted into office again given

the rich like Mango.

It's interesting, I've been doing some googling and interesting reading tonight.  Google Suozzi's name, look at who he associates with and then google them.  Yes PinePower, you are right there was some "funding issues" from the County's end, starting with Suozzi decreasing the County's funding to the MTA (hmm maybe it was a common theme, even a friend of the MTA seems to have gotten sick of the MTA's greed and bloated budget).

Under Suozzi Helena Williams was the Deputy County Executive..  Williams began working with the MTA in 1985, she served as "labor counsel" and "chief of staff" at MTA Long Island Bus before becoming President od Long Island Bus in 1993.

Helena Williams is President of the Long Island Rail Road (since 2006).

Suozzi unsuccesfully  ran for Govenor of NY in 2006 and wikipedia says "Suozzi's campaign was funded largely by big business, in the form of Home Depot co-founder Kenneth Langone, former NYSE CEO Richard Grasso, David Mack of the MTA, and many individuals on Wall Street who had been investigated and prosecuted by Eliot Spitzer."

David Mack was a Vice Chair of the MTA from 1993 before resigning in 2009.

Now we see Suozzi's "associates."  Is anyone thinking what I'm thinking?  I can't wait to see where the election funds come from!

Either A)  Suozzi is not influenced by his "associates" with MTA backgrounds and (after already being frustrated with the MTA) Suozzi will see the value in NICE and fund NICE adequately and the county will have a nice transit system ran with proper funding.

Or B) (the more likely option)  Money talks and the MTA wants MTA Long Island bus back (or at least big wigs tied to the MTA).  Lets face it without the MTA LIB there are a few less high ranking MTA jobs out there that there "associates" could be holding!

Suozzi's "associates" figured they should get an MTA LIB guy  in office and get the MTA back in Nassau.  If Suozzi were to win, he'd be in office until 2018 and the first 5 year term of the Nassau County contract with Veolia ends 12/31/2016...HMMM...

We'll have to wait a little longer and follow the bouncing ball to see what is going on.

Edited by Burrstone

See, good thing you did the research because I hate looking up politics.

I found it interesting but I'm a big dork. lol  It's interesting to see all the "connected" people get nice good high paying jobs.  ;)   I think it'll be interesting to see where the funding for Suozzi's campaign comes from.  ...and even more interesting if he wins to see if he see's the value in nice and funds a nice transit system.  Suozzi did start reducing the county's share in the MTA then again he balanced a huge deficit so he did cut a lot from multiple places. 

Suozzi also has millionaire friends connected to the MTA.  So it will be interestig to see what happens to the contract with Veolia at the end of the 5 year term if Suozzi is in office.  You'd have to assume giving the people he associates with there are a few less high ranking, high paying MTA jobs.

Stay tuned..  B-)

856422_10151425690199578_1203564895_o.jp

NICE!!

btw can you spot what's wrong?

They removed the black vinyl sticker that covered the depot decal. The depot decal probably says "MTA" somewhere on it. I don't see why they don't just remove the decal instead of covering it up. They did the same thing to 1808

I heard Glen Clove has lots of poor people. I think she might be one of them.

Ohh well if you don't use your bus you lose your bus plain and simple.

Preaching to the choir much. I had to run across hempstead tpk I meant deathtrap to catch a bus that traffic is well it makes queens blvd look safe!!! when I had to take N70/72/71

It's disgraceful. Many sidewalks on busy roads are covered in mounds of snow. Isn't there a fine for not clearing the sidewalk? If there isnt then there should be, and it should be enforced. Considering how the county and towns are hurtingh for revenue, you'd think they'd enforce it. But then again, if you don't own a car you're looked at as less desirable than a pile of fresh dog crap. :(

You do realize N27's weekday service to roosevelt field has been restored full-time right? It's on weekends that it is still well useless.

Flagged by a N6 yesterday, N1 came and saved the day. Still waitied 30 mins to get picked up though...

I think they need to either make N1 go to jamacia full-time or at least into queens Or bring back the LTD. If people wanted faster service to hempstead they would use the LIRR anyway. N6 has a completely different purpose. So what did you think about trailways getting you to WP directly from SE queens? On a side note.

Speaking of snow, when I went to NCTC Meeting on Wed night, after my lunch at Bellmore Arby's, I had to walk oncoming lane of traffic on Death street of Sunrise Highway because of snow and ice when I was heading to Bellmore Library, then Bellmore Station bus stop.

In that case, some drivers moved over for me and some moved over in last minute.

Parked truck that was starting to move waited until I was out of driver's way.

Ohh well if you don't use your bus you lose your bus plain and simple.

Preaching to the choir much. I had to run across hempstead tpk I meant deathtrap to catch a bus that traffic is well it makes queens blvd look safe!!! when I had to take N70/72/71

You do realize N27's weekday service to roosevelt field has been restored full-time right? It's on weekends that it is still well useless.

I think they need to either make N1 go to jamacia full-time or at least into queens Or bring back the LTD. If people wanted faster service to hempstead they would use the LIRR anyway. N6 has a completely different purpose. So what did you think about trailways getting you to WP directly from SE queens? On a side note.

I think it's more a matter of complaining. Glen Cove riders just dont complain, because they dont care. Yes I realize the n27 runs to RF weekdays but they need to have the service pattern that runs middays extended to weekends too. The n23s are jammed and riders are still missing connections in Roslyn. But they dont complain, so I guess they deserve it? And here's a new rumor from a bus operator I know, the n35 may not run past NCC to Westbury anymore. The n22 is crowded enough, if that happens it game over for me in Westbury and time to pack my bags since the n35 is the bus I take and am not gonna jam on the n22 and walk past a bunch of drunks downtown in summer.

Edited by PinePower