Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone tried to get on the N79 with an invalid transfer. The driver read it aloud and said it came from the "Q315M". What is that?

Also, I heard Clever Devices say "Route N24 Jamaica via Jericho Turnpike" without stuttering/tonal irregularities, so I would assume its a NICE-made recording.

Male or Female?

rode the n51 from RF home today (3:05 trip) and i tallied ridership(not including me):

total ridership: 9

stops: 8 (not including my stop, including RF)

transfers to/from other lines: 2

farebeaters: 1 (handicapped person claiming transfer, did not dip card, and appareently this has happened before because the b/o told him to not do it again)

people getting off in Merrrick: 5

Edited by VWM

So why were they turned off on routes with meager inclines, like the N43?

The bus would still crawl or the engine would overheat and lead to a breakdown. Of course with hills its a lot worse but the maintenance has gotten so bad that even on flat routes the bus can't go normal speed.

The bus would still crawl or the engine would overheat and lead to a breakdown. Of course with hills its a lot worse but the maintenance has gotten so bad that even on flat routes the bus can't go normal speed.

I took a 1600 coming back on the n23 and the bus (which had no a/c) was crawling up that big hill after the clock tower and everyone was passing us by while we were snailing.

Not all of them are broken, some of them are turned off simply because the bus loses so much power with it on that it would be terribly slow and die on hills.

I didn't even try and ride NICE today. Tomorrow I will have no choice. I dont understand how these drivers could even think about shutting off the a/c in this weather, I'd rather breakdown and get another bus. Things aren't much better at Suffolk Bus Corp, a driver I know says there's loads of breakdowns on their ST routes, and that he has to shut off the a/c to keep the buses from overheating.

The 1500s are finished and really shouldn't be used at all on the north shore where it's hilly and hotter as well. Of course since Nassau has had the Orion V CNGs drivers have had to shut off the a/c on hills because you couldn't make it up. As much as I like those buses, I think their time is done.

Edited by PinePower

The NGs seem to be faring a bit better because the ISL's are handling the HVAC just fine. Then again, the worst I've had with the NGs was on the N24 one day the rear door wouldn't close. The B/O just restarted the engine and we were off. I want to see something happen on a bus I'm actually on..

even though it will never happen, i'd love to see an Orion VI on Long Island.

EDIT: When I ride NICE, I only seem to get O7s on the n51, but there are massive amounts of O5 on the n45.

Edited by VWM

The situation with the Orion V CNG's is getting dire. They are so many dropping, runs are going missing. Had one break down on me on the n22L right at the corner of Roslyn and Jericho (video coming later). Got on the n23, waited for the 4:30pm n27 in Roslyn, never showed up (breakdown #2). This meant there was no leader for the 5:35pm n27 out of Glen Cove. Then the bus that was supposed to pass thru Greenvale around 5:30pm to Glen Cove (4:40pm out of HTC) never showed up (breakdown #3).

Today was like LIB's final days, so many missing runs. How much worse are things going to have to get before the (MTA) sends us some of those Orion V CNG's sitting idle in a yard not doing anything??

The Orion VII's seem to be fine, but the V's must be getting no maintanance, perhaps Veolia is running them into the ground on purpose. I dont see how we're even gonna make it to September at the rate we're going.

All the ones with the green signs, the 2000 models are 12 years old and should all be retired at this point.

We need some of the MTA V's just to make score until we get more buses.

The situation with the Orion V CNG's is getting dire. They are so many dropping, runs are going missing. Had one break down on me on the n22L right at the corner of Roslyn and Jericho (video coming later). Got on the n23, waited for the 4:30pm n27 in Roslyn, never showed up (breakdown #2). This meant there was no leader for the 5:35pm n27 out of Glen Cove. Then the bus that was supposed to pass thru Greenvale around 5:30pm to Glen Cove (4:40pm out of HTC) never showed up (breakdown #3).

Today was like LIB's final days, so many missing runs. How much worse are things going to have to get before the (MTA) sends us some of those Orion V CNG's sitting idle in a yard not doing anything??

The Orion VII's seem to be fine, but the V's must be getting no maintanance, perhaps Veolia is running them into the ground on purpose. I dont see how we're even gonna make it to September at the rate we're going.

All the ones with the green signs, the 2000 models are 12 years old and should all be retired at this point.

We need some of the MTA V's just to make score until we get more buses.

Today I had some errands to run in Jamaica so I took the q17 to the bus terminal around 11:00am and I saw a crowd of people waiting by the n22 stop, every bay had a bus in it so I was thinking it was just a crowded time.

I asked someone standing around and they told me they had been 40 mins for an n6 and that all 3 buses sitting there were not starting up. All of them were orion 7s, I didn't take their numbers as I rushed over to catch the q6 but wow, NICE job!!! I have yet to have a decent experience with their service.

I took the n22 a few weeks back, we left on time but we got to Roosevelt mall 45 mins late, no traffic, not sure how that happened but I did notice they cut the travel time on it so maybe but it was bad, the n22 that was suppose to follow us broke down that day, thankfully though I got a ride back home. Anyway, just reporting my observations.

Look, Nassau County invested in CNG buses and a CNG system. They should have known, when they made their investment, that there is a very likely chance for the buses to overheat in weather like this.

Two things from today...

a) Saw about 25 people board the first southbound n81 (on time). Hands down the largest number of people I've ever see on that route. Perhaps they need to add an extra bus an hour earlier and reduce/eliminate midday service.

B) The N78/79, which interlines with the N73, appears to be overly punctual. The first PM eastbound N78 left half a minute early (by my watch) and had to wait two minutes for time at South Oyster Bay Road.

Edited by Amtrak7