Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Does anyone know what font(s) NICE uses for their signs, brochures, schedules, and maps?

I remember asking that question. Amtrak7 answered this:

From the letters on top of an n17 schedule:

"n": Gotham Medium Italic 61pt

"17": Gotham Black Italic 61pt

The "nice Nassau Inter-County Express" logotype isn't a font, it's actually outlined.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember asking that question. Amtrak7 answered this:

From the letters on top of an n17 schedule:

"n": Gotham Medium Italic 61pt

"17": Gotham Black Italic 61pt

The "nice Nassau Inter-County Express" logotype isn't a font, it's actually outlined.

Thanks. :)

I have the font, but for some reason, it won't install into my Font Book on my iMac.

Edited by RTS CNG Command

I think I found out the problem. The files are postscript fonts that don't have a bitmap variation, and I have to create a suitcase for each font in order to properly install it.

At least I have Myriad Pro (the main sans serif font for MTA maps).

:huh: Macs... :huh:

I think the routes that have converted to the "n" lettering are the routes NICE are keeping

What sense does that make? Several routes have multiple programs with both the lowercase and uppercase "n". You can't justify that statement. I've seen some N6s with the uppercase "n." Does that mean the N6 is getting cut?

What sense does that make? Several routes have multiple programs with both the lowercase and uppercase "n". You can't justify that statement. I've seen some N6s with the uppercase "n." Does that mean the N6 is getting cut?

Well, I guess it takes a while to program it, but the n73 has it and the n74, n51, and n45 do not...

Maybe it's just me personally, but the fact that some buses like the N17, N73, and N74 each have headways for more than one hour during the middle of the day's just disgraceful, disgusting, and despicable. If I lived in an area where the lines have headways that long, I'd rather either pass my driver's test and buy myself a car or call for a taxi.

Maybe it's just me personally, but the fact that some buses like the N17, N73, and N74 each have headways for more than one hour during the middle of the day's just disgraceful, disgusting, and despicable. If I lived in an area where the lines have headways that long, I'd rather either pass my driver's test and buy myself a car or call for a taxi.

...and if you couldn't afford to do that?

I love how people assume that if they were in Nassau or Suffolk they'd buy a car because the service is so shitty.

That's great that you'd buy a car but what about the people who can't afford it? As strange as it may sound some people take the bus because they can't afford a car.

Also, as disgraceful as it is a transportation system's money only goes so far just as a broke person's paycheck only goes so far. ;)

I can name about four people off the bat who adhere to that "live on LI = car" thing. I just stop dead in my tracks whenever I read it.

Just noticed that the N4 doesn't stop at that King Kullen behind RVC depot any more... I thought they just removed the sign by the lot because they were repaving the sidewalk... I learned that the hard way back in March and I had to walk about 3 and a half miles home from RVC to VS before I ran out of energy in Lynbrook and my parents had to get me. I already ran out of energy cramming myself onto an N16 after staying well beyond the end of my last class at 3:15 PM until about 5:30 doing work, going to my professor's office on the old side of campus (this is bordering on what's left of the government's claim of Mitchel Field closer to Quentin Roosevelt Boulevard) then getting food. That was hell.

Must be a hell of a ride on that overpass above Sunrise Highway

I can name about four people off the bat who adhere to that "live on LI = car" thing. I just stop dead in my tracks whenever I read it.

Just noticed that the N4 doesn't stop at that King Kullen behind RVC depot any more... I thought they just removed the sign by the lot because they were repaving the sidewalk...

That is very interesting, when I used to ride the N4 that was a very "popular" stop. I wonder the reason for the change? Maybe Veolia thought it was dangerous, from memory didn't the bus have to take the left the cross about 3 lanes of traffic almost immediately before making the stop.

Side note, I was up there a couple of weeks ago and those condo's nest to the RVC are beautiful. I wonder if any NICE employees live there? I also wonder what people think of paying the money for place like that and having a bus dept as a neighbor? lol

Long Beach branch service is temporarily suspended in both directions between Valley Stream and Long Beach due to a disabled NICE bus at the east end of Island Park Station. Efforts to remove the bus are continuing.

Sent at 7PM, caused 30-60min delays, service has since been restored.

I think the n16x should operate to 5 PM IMO and to RF on the Way. The would actually work. Non Stop between Hempstead and RF, with One Stop at NCC

NCC students will just get off at the Student Union stop, and the N16x will be either empty, or have a few riders if it's extended to Roosevelt Field.

Long Beach branch service is temporarily suspended in both directions between Valley Stream and Long Beach due to a disabled NICE bus at the east end of Island Park Station. Efforts to remove the bus are continuing.

Sent at 7PM, caused 30-60min delays, service has since been restored.

How did the bus block train traffic? Did the bus break down on the tracks?