Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

While at the Rosa Parks Hempstead Transit Center, I was taking pics of buses. As I reviewed them, a security guard asked if I was taking pictures inside. When I said, "Yes? What's the matter?", he told me that it's illegal to take pictures inside the terminal because the third-party owners disallowed it sometime ago. But he did say I could take pictures outside the facility, which I did.

Once I finished taking pictures, I noticed the Hempstead Transit Center guidelines posted on the back outside wall (by the doors, the side closest to the station); and I've seen those regulations many times before. There were plenty of regulations, but nothing about not being allowed to take photographs in the facility, and I've been there about a dozen times. Is photography illegal in the Rosa Parks Transit Center?

I don't even know why they care, the terminal is a POS anyway. They should be concerned about those nasty bathrooms.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While at the Rosa Parks Hempstead Transit Center, I was taking pics of buses. As I reviewed them, a security guard asked if I was taking pictures inside. When I said, "Yes? What's the matter?", he told me that it's illegal to take pictures inside the terminal because the third-party owners disallowed it sometime ago. But he did say I could take pictures outside the facility, which I did.

Once I finished taking pictures, I noticed the Hempstead Transit Center guidelines posted on the back outside wall (by the doors, the side closest to the station); and I've seen those regulations many times before. There were plenty of regulations, but nothing about not being allowed to take photographs in the facility, and I've been there about a dozen times. Is photography illegal in the Rosa Parks Transit Center?

I've had the same problem. I suggest taking videos outside the fenced area, like when pulling in and out the driveways.

I'm friend with security there, so security and dispatchers they don't disturb me when I take pic.

I remember taking an LIB trip with you and security said something about us taking photos. They didn't want them.

I don't even know why they care, the terminal is a POS anyway. They should be concerned about those nasty bathrooms.

True, it is a public area. LOL @ the bathroom joke.

The same thing happened a few years ago, I was waiting at Franklin Ave after work on my way home, the driver passes the bus stop to just in front of Taco Bell to let people off, ran behind the bus, and caught the back door and hopped on. At least 5 people got off the bus. The driver then says I have to pay. WHAT?! REALLY!? You should have STOPPED AT THE BUS STOP instead of playing games. I had an unlimited metrocard anyway it really made no difference. He saw me all of the time. So I went up and dipped my card, SURPRISE!!! A premium TransitChek Metrocard,(at that time) Happy now? SMH.

Ugh. I hate when that happens. I remember once a bus flagged me with plenty of room to spare (the front wasn't even filled). So I chase after the bus and the next light is red, and then when it turns green it pulls into the stop, and by that time I'm able to catch up. So I don't think the B/O is going to hold the front door (considering he flagged me for no reason), so I go in the back. The B/O then shouts out "To the kid who came in the back, come in through the front". So I run up there as fast as I can and the B/O has the nerve to say "What's the problem?" I shout out "The problem is you just passed me!", and then he says "Oh, well there was another bus behind me" (like I was supposed to know, especially considering the fact that I didn't even see the bus behind us while this whole thing was going on). And then he says "Welcome to the real word". And I'm shaking my head thinking "In the real world, you would've flagged a passenger because the bus was 100% full and then they would've come up to you and beat you to a pulp". If you want to talk about the "real world". SMH.

If you're talking about the ones that date way back (they still read "MSBA" and looked as if they were typewritten)....

When were you there? I was there from around 3:45 to 4:00. Everyone always comes late...

Ugh. I hate when that happens. I remember once a bus flagged me with plenty of room to spare (the front wasn't even filled). So I chase after the bus and the next light is red, and then when it turns green it pulls into the stop, and by that time I'm able to catch up. So I don't think the B/O is going to hold the front door (considering he flagged me for no reason), so I go in the back. The B/O then shouts out "To the kid who came in the back, come in through the front". So I run up there as fast as I can and the B/O has the nerve to say "What's the problem?" I shout out "The problem is you just passed me!", and then he says "Oh, well there was another bus behind me" (like I was supposed to know, especially considering the fact that I didn't even see the bus behind us while this whole thing was going on). And then he says "Welcome to the real word". And I'm shaking my head thinking "In the real world, you would've flagged a passenger because the bus was 100% full and then they would've come up to you and beat you to a pulp". If you want to talk about the "real world". SMH.

The real world lol. Someone didn't feel like being at work that day.

Well, the (MTA) owns HTC so carry your NYCT Rules with you, and state to them that the (MTA) allows you to take photos of their property as long as you're on a public area.

Yup, Section 1050.9, Rule #3

LINK: http://www.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm

Photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors or tripods may not be used. Members of the press holding valid identification issued by the New York City Police Department are hereby authorized to use necessary ancillary equipment. All photographic activity must be conducted in accordance with the provisions of this Part.

I can totally see NICE personnel retorting with the fact that the (MTA) doesn't run anything out there any longer, so their rules are no longer valid.

Other than half the NGs.

And the MVMs at Hempstead.

And the fareboxes.

And the data readers needed for the fareboxes to read MetroCards.

Edited by Joel Up Front

I can totally see NICE personnel retorting with the fact that the (MTA) doesn't run anything out there any longer, so their rules are no longer valid.

Other than half the NGs.

And the MVMs at Hempstead.

And the fareboxes.

And the data readers needed for the fareboxes to read MetroCards.

Well, Hempstead Transit Center in general is owned by the (MTA) except the streets out of the gates. Mitchel Field Bus Depot and the half of the Orion VII's, as well as the miscellany equipment that makes MetroCard usage possible. So the (MTA) Rules apply to all the facilities mentioned as well as LIRR Stations and 165th St. Bus Term.

Remember back in April when NICE said they saved money to lessen the cuts by purchasing a new fuel contract. Now, I don't know much about fuel, but does a cheaper fuel contract mean the CNG fuel quality could be less? Like less clean or less efficient?

Is there a need for a JFK Flyer?

Not really, It's hard to create a successful bus for that long a distance to the airport from Nassau County. Flights are taking off at all different times of the day and night, and that means bus service would have run 24 hrs/day to work. But that's too expensive and ridership wasn't that high back when the Flyer still ran. And many people would rather take the faster way of the LIRR to Jamaica to the Airtrain.

Not only that, look at any city, and all routes that go to the airport. How much ridership is there as you get closer to the airport? Usually pretty empty.

That's somewhat true. I was actually surprised at how few people stayed on the Q33 when it got to the airport. But then again, the M60 gets a lot of people going to the airport.

Cool find: An old 1968 schedule for Mid-Island Transit, one of the old LIPBLS:

http://www.hempstead...om/miditran.htm

The text claims that the route no longer exists, but the N45 does follow the route's path from RF all the way down. Duplicate services, perhaps?

Did they use typewriters to create bus schedules back then?