LIRR Mystery Tracks

nostalgia

I was driving south on the Cross Island Parkway and passed under three LIRR bridges. The first is the Port Washington Branch. I'm unsure of the next two which are very close to each other. An old railroad atlas shows an abandoned line that ran from Flushing to and joined the main line at Floral Park. That would explain one of the bridges, but what about the other. All I can think of is the branch has separate east and westbound tracks.

Does anybody know for sure?

The Creedmoor Branch seperated from the Port Washington Line after what is now the Mets-Willets Point station, and headed southwest. It joined the Main Line at Floral Park. So yes, that bridge there was part of the abandoned line. It also depends where you got off the Parkway. If you stayed only on the Cross Island Parkway the entire way, you would not have encountered the Creedmore bridge at Floral Park, but rather the Main Line bridge and the Belmont Park bridge. If you look carefully, the CI Parkway crosses the Port Washington Line, the former Creedmoor Branch, the Main Line, and the Belmont Park Branch.

This is something I just drew right now on Paint:

CreedmoreBranch.png

FloralParkCreedmoreBridge.png

the only bridges over the cross island are port washington, the mainline and the belmont park spur.

joe

The only bridges carrying revenue rail traffic is what you mentioned, the Creedmoor Branch's Abandoned Bridge is pictured above in the screenshots posted by GojiMet86. There are also road and footbridges which is not applicable in this thread's context.

The only bridges carrying revenue rail traffic is what you mentioned, the Creedmoor Branch's Abandoned Bridge is pictured above in the screenshots posted by GojiMet86. There are also road and footbridges which is not applicable in this thread's context.

I should have been clearer. I got on the Cross Island from the Throgs Neck Bridge, going as far as the LIE. The atlas shows the Creedmoor Branch. Are there two Creedmoor Branch bridges, one in each direction?

there is no bridge anymore, it was torn down so he couldnt be picturing an abandoned bridge or driven under it.

joe

I should have been clearer. I got on the Cross Island from the Throgs Neck Bridge, going as far as the LIE. The atlas shows the Creedmoor Branch. Are there two Creedmoor Branch bridges, one in each direction?

If you got on the Cross Island at the bridge and got off at the LIE, then you would have passed under only one rail bridge, the Port Washington.

You only passed the Port Washington Branch, the others you saw nostalgia are probably road or pedestrian bridges.

there is no bridge anymore, it was torn down so he couldnt be picturing an abandoned bridge or driven under it.

joe

My bad, I mistook the bridge as the Superior one...

You only passed the Port Washington Branch, the others you saw nostalgia are probably road or pedestrian bridges.

My bad, I mistook the bridge as the Superior one...

I see I caused confusion to the list. Sometimes I drive the Cross Island from the Throgs Neck to either 1) LIE, 2) Grand Central or 3) Belt Parkway at the very end. I remember that every bridge I'm referencing has a "Long Island Railroad" sign attached to it.

I have to watch my Railroad Video Cab Ride of the Main Line to see where it crosses the Cross Island.

Based on the responses, the two main line bridges carry two tracks each because there are four tracks out of Jamaica on the Main Line.

Thanks for everybody's help.

Not a problem, and try taking a vid or two on what bridge are you trying to refer too and link us to the video, (just dock the cam on the dashboard of you car), ;-)!

I see I caused confusion to the list. Sometimes I drive the Cross Island from the Throgs Neck to either 1) LIE, 2) Grand Central or 3) Belt Parkway at the very end. I remember that every bridge I'm referencing has a "Long Island Railroad" sign attached to it.

I have to watch my Railroad Video Cab Ride of the Main Line to see where it crosses the Cross Island.

Based on the responses, the two main line bridges carry two tracks each because there are four tracks out of Jamaica on the Main Line.

Thanks for everybody's help.

I looked at Google maps which show the Belmont Park spur crossing the Cross Island. I'm starting to think these are the mystery tracks I questioned.

An undated LIRR track chart shows two tracks coming off the Main Line near Queens tower. There's an eastbound controlled switch. The westbound switch has

an electric lock.

Since I was driving, I had to pay more attention to the road than the tracks.

Kamen rider the purpose it would serve today is well allow super express trains to bypass the mess at jamacia. Meaning a faster ride plus faster access to flushing and LGA I rest my case. Wow sorry guys I should never have got nexis started sorry for even bringing it up. Ohh the wading river area is well NOTHING!!!! The S62 with better connecting service will do just fine. Sag harbor you can forget about that that will never happen better S92 service would take care of that the central well maybe for reverse peak service to finally come to LIRR

The only rail bridges over the Cross Island Parkway currently are the Port Washington Branch, Main Line and Belmont Park Spur.

As for the Creedmore Branch , I don't believe there was a bridge over the Cross Island Parkway because at that point the Cross Island goes on an embankment in the air. I used to wonder why the Cross Island had a grade change for no apparent reason.

So I believe that the Cross Island used to go OVER the Creedmore Branch Tracks, and the row under the parkway has replaced with a pedestrian underpass.

Kamen rider the purpose it would serve today is well allow super express trains to bypass the mess at jamacia. Meaning a faster ride plus faster access to flushing and LGA I rest my case. Wow sorry guys I should never have got nexis started sorry for even bringing it up. Ohh the wading river area is well NOTHING!!!! The S62 with better connecting service will do just fine. Sag harbor you can forget about that that will never happen better S92 service would take care of that the central well maybe for reverse peak service to finally come to LIRR

As much as it would seem a good idea as a bypass (I foam at the thought of service being restored), it can't be done, unless you want to bulldoze at least a good hundred homes or so. The Creedmoor branch was sold off, and the buyers built houses on the ROW.

though most of the branch is now the Kissena park corridor, this idea is just one more of qjt's under though ideas. You're sending trains around the long way onto the Port Washington, which is already running close to capcity. Given the track capcity of the network, staying on the main line is probibly going to be better for an express train, since the mainline has express tracks, instead of ramrodding them onto the two track PW.

• 2 weeks later...

Port Washington really isn't close to capacity since the service cuts from last year.

I do think that a line to Whitestone is needed. It doesn't have to be on exisiting tracks. But I'd rather see the (7) go up there than the LIRR. Not sure about Central or Sag Harbor. Wading River should be restored. It is possible since the route isn't that long and serves the town of Wading River. Also, the entire line (except for the former station location in WR) is now a bicycle route so nothing has to be torn down for it (except that WR needs a new station location). That makes it interesting to restore. But not now, on the long term when there is some money again, of course.

Archived