Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

Anyways how about eliminate the Q21. It has no purpose since that the Q52 was started and it was truncated to Lindenwood. Because of this, the Q21 is nothing more than a redundant route now. The Q11 covers like 90% of it and eliminating it would also help boost the ridership of the Q41 on Cross Bay since it doesn't get good usage there because the Q21. Also I have heard people say that the Q41 should be truncated to the Rockaway Boulevard (A) station which I think is a bad idea and a better idea is to lay the axe on the Q21.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyways how about eliminate the Q21. It has no purpose since that the Q52 was started and it was truncated to Lindenwood. Because of this, the Q21 is nothing more than a redundant route now. The Q11 covers like 90% of it and eliminating it would also help boost the ridership of the Q41 on Cross Bay since it doesn't get good usage there because the Q21. Also I have heard people say that the Q41 should be truncated to the Rockaway Boulevard (A) station which I think is a bad idea and a better idea is to lay the axe on the Q21.

It's been proposed many times. While I'm sure the resources could go to use on the Q11 there are a fair amount of passengers on the Q21 that isn't duplicated.

What's been suggested before to decrease passenger confusion was lettered branches, Q11 A, B, etc. It might work out, but I'd say the current setup is good for now.

It's been proposed many times. While I'm sure the resources could go to use on the Q11 there are a fair amount of passengers on the Q21 that isn't duplicated.

What's been suggested before to decrease passenger confusion was lettered branches, Q11 A, B, etc. It might work out, but I'd say the current setup is good for now.

Well the people that use the Q21 on the non-shared Q11 parts could use the Q52/53. The Q21 is unnecessary and also kills ridership on the Q41.

Well the people that use the Q21 on the non-shared Q11 parts could use the Q52/53. The Q21 is unnecessary and also kills ridership on the Q41.

I suppose that's true to an extent, but I find that the overlapping of routes in benefiting the riders on the main corridor. One thing for sure is that I'm not a local to the area, so you may have a greater point if you are in fact noting lower ridership on the Q21.

Weekend 11/21/52/53/QM15/BM5 riders want to talk to you...

The Q21 is most definety needed, have you ridden the route any time of the week?

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Bad idea. The Q21 is the most frequent of the branches today---Old Howard Beach and Hamilton Beach, outside of the rush hour, get service hourly (and sometimes less). That is also why in my earlier post, I believe that the Q52 should get more stops to provide more travel options (but not the Q53); I would keep the Q52 at a shorter distance with the Q53 operating much more frequently now. (The Q52 is now every 20 minutes during the day instead of every 30 as it was before.)

Edited by aemoreira81

Weekend 11/21/52/53/QM15/BM5 riders want to talk to you...

The Q21 is most definety needed, have you ridden the route any time of the week?

Sometimes I do walk down Woodhaven Boulevard and see a Q21 and there are few enough passengers to discontinue it. Again have them use the Q52/53 which share the Q21's routing and make limited stops.

Sometimes I do walk down Woodhaven Boulevard and see a Q21 and there are few enough passengers to discontinue it. Again have them use the Q52/53 which share the Q21's routing and make limited stops.

The operative words here are sometimes and walk down... You don't actually ride the route, so who are you to say to discontinue it?

The operative words here are sometimes and walk down... You don't actually ride the route, so who are you to say to discontinue it?

You don't need to ride a route in order to know about it's ridership. The Q21's annual ridership is 1,147,774. Usually that's good ridership but since those people could use the Q11/Q41/Q52/Q53 (depending where you are) then it isn't needed.

You don't need to ride a route in order to know about it's ridership. The Q21's annual ridership is 1,147,774. Usually that's good ridership but since those people could use the Q11/Q41/Q52/Q53 (depending where you are) then it isn't needed.

Do you just like picking a random route and spinning a wheel to see what happens to them? The Woodhaven corridor is one of the busiest bus corridors in the city - at 6400 weekday riders/mile, that's more ridership than every light rail system in the nation except the Boston Green Line. If no one's using the Q41, it's because the Q21 is so much more useful than the Q41! People use routes that they need, and don't use the ones they don't.

Do you just like picking a random route and spinning a wheel to see what happens to them? The Woodhaven corridor is one of the busiest bus corridors in the city - at 6400 weekday riders/mile, that's more ridership than every light rail system in the nation except the Boston Green Line. If no one's using the Q41, it's because the Q21 is so much more useful than the Q41! People use routes that they need, and don't use the ones they don't.

Do you really think I just pick out routes because that would be a stupid thing to do. Eliminating the Q21 would actually help increase ridership on the Q11, Q52/53 and the Q41. It doesn't matter how busy the Woodhaven/Cross Bay corridor is. The Q21 is now useless ever since the Q52 was started. So if the Q21 got eliminated no one would care.

Do you really think I just pick out routes because that would be a stupid thing to do. Eliminating the Q21 would actually help increase ridership on the Q11, Q52/53 and the Q41. It doesn't matter how busy the Woodhaven/Cross Bay corridor is. The Q21 is now useless ever since the Q52 was started. So if the Q21 got eliminated no one would care.

Why do you want ridership to go up on the Q11, Q52 and Q53? What would that accomplish?

You're taking people riding a bus route on Woodhaven Blvd.... and making them ride a different bus route on Woodhaven Blvd. In other words, the exact same thing.

Seriously, a lot of people seem to not understand that the Q21 is literally just a branch of the Q11 with a different number.

If the Q21 is useless, then why do people ride it? That's the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard about cutting the Q21.

All of your ideas so far have been thrown out with no consideration as to how they would affect existing bus riders and where demand is. If there are a lot of people who prefer the Q21 over the Q41 (and Q21 ridership is still rising even with overall bus ridership declining for several straight years), then there's probably a good reason for it.

Also, BM5 and QM15 riders have no Sunday service, so the Q21 is useful to get to the subway. If you discontinue the Q21, they're gonna go all Bed-Stuy on you (no offense Threxx).

Okay, since the Bx2 duplicates the Bx1 its useless, lets discontinue it, even though its high ridership, because sometimes I walk on the Grand Concourse and there aren't many riders on the Bx2. Have them use the (D) or Bx1. Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Not really kills the Q41 ridership because those ppl want to go to Jamaica. It killed the Q11 ridership which the Q53 also contributed to as well. Who knows maybe the (MTA) might change things around when the merger is complete. The (MTA) might get rid the the Q21 because they may feel that the Q41 and the Q11 is enough. The Q52 is not a bad idea but I was thinking some Q53's could stop at Queens Blvd and run similar to the Q11 with two branches.

Not really kills the Q41 ridership because those ppl want to go to Jamaica. It killed the Q11 ridership which the Q53 also contributed to as well. Who knows maybe the (MTA) might change things around when the merger is complete. The (MTA) might get rid the the Q21 because they may feel that the Q41 and the Q11 is enough. The Q52 is not a bad idea but I was thinking some Q53's could stop at Queens Blvd and run similar to the Q11 with two branches.

That's not gonna happen, the Q11/21 northbound come at the Same time northbound, both buses with no room by 63 Drive (its worse with the Q52/Q53).

Why do you want ridership to go up on the Q11, Q52 and Q53? What would that accomplish?

You're taking people riding a bus route on Woodhaven Blvd.... and making them ride a different bus route on Woodhaven Blvd. In other words, the exact same thing.

Seriously, a lot of people seem to not understand that the Q21 is literally just a branch of the Q11 with a different number.

I know that the Q21 is a branch of the Q11, it's just imo it should be cut as people could use the faster Q52/53 or Q41 now that it longer goes to Rockaway (no one used it there anyways).

This is the most bullshit statement about the Q21 yet.

If the Q21 is useless, what makes you think your old Q90 proposal is gonna do any better.

What the hell does my Q90 route have to do with the Q21. Don't bring up bullshit that isn't related. Anyways it's useless not because of bad ridership, it's because people could just use the Q52/53 if they want to go south of Pitkin Avenue.

I know that the Q21 is a branch of the Q11, it's just imo it should be cut as people could use the faster Q52/53 or Q41 now that it longer goes to Rockaway (no one used it there anyways).

What the hell does my Q90 route have to do with the Q21. Don't bring up bullshit that isn't related. Anyways it's useless not because of bad ridership, it's because people could just use the Q52/53 if they want to go south of Pitkin Avenue.

Uh, it is related, your Q90 would duplicate the Q11/21/53/104 and then you're here saying the Q21 needs to be eliminated, so then proposing the Q90 wasn't needed.

Have you even seen how crowded the Q11 gets? And that's not counting the fact that the Q21 gets its fair amount of riders. Cutting the Q21 would be incredibly hurtful for Woodhaven Blvd riders.

Well if you cut the Q21 without increasing headways on other routes then yes it's a bad thing. But the Q11 would have shorter headways. Also Q21s and Q11s always bunch as the Q21 makes that long layover at 92 Street/164 Avenue. Getting rid of the Q21 or at least eliminating that long layover fixes that problem.

Well if you cut the Q21 without increasing headways on other routes then yes it's a bad thing. But the Q11 would have shorter headways. Also Q21s and Q11s always bunch as the Q21 makes that long layover at 92 Street/164 Avenue. Getting rid of the Q21 or at least eliminating that long layover fixes that problem.

That is the schedule of the Q21, come before or after a Q11 northbound. That's a problem that's not gonna be fixed unless you modify both Q11 and Q21 run times.

Uh, it is related, your Q90 would duplicate the Q11/21/53/104 and then you're here saying the Q21 needs to be eliminated, so then proposing the Q90 wasn't needed.

The Q90 does not duplicate the Woodhaven corridor routes and the Q104 would've been eliminated in that proposal. If the Q11 doesn't duplicate the Q52/53 than neither does the Q90.