Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

East River Ferry shuttle bus IS NOT TEMPERALITY.

It's permant rush hour bus that connects arriving and departing East River Ferry at 34th St.

There is no shuttle bus in Brooklyn-Queens, so Q103 bus makes sense to serve Hunters Point/Long Island City Pier.

No. I was referring to the spelling, not the service. The words are TEMPORARY and PROBABLY

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tryna catch up here...

The part on bold: On the nail.

I don't see why the 67, or the 39 have to be involved with the 102 at all. I mean, there's really no other way for a bus to serve Roosevelt besides the 102. The island even has their own FREE bus to the (F). That's one additional transfer saved. Therefore, tbh, I don't see the need for the 102 to even serve both legs of Roosevelt Island. Just have the 102 run down to the (F) and that's it, barely anyone rides the bus on the northern leg.

They're suggesting extending these routes, not knowing (I'd go as far as to say, not caring) about the current riders of those routes.... As far as the Q102 being the only bus route (feasibly) being able to run to RI, IDK about that.... Two things:

- One could always extend the Q104 to RI...... I've thought of that, and..

- ....Having the Q103 loop around RI before running up to the Astoria PJ's (although this would be part of a major reconfiguration of bus service in LIC).... I mentioned this in an older post, so it should be somewhere on here.....

Your inquiry of (not) having the Q102 serve certain portions of Bird Coler, I have mixed opinions about....

However, having the Q102 end at the (F), I don't agree with at all.... For one, it picks up at Goldwater Hosp. (more than you might think)... Also, wait until Cornell finishes with construction out there - there'll be plenty of those students riding 102's to LIC (which I believe is the main reason NYC Planning are sending two routes to RI).....

Majority of Roosevelt Islanders usually get  along 31st St. If Q102 was eliminated, Q102 riders will be furious because they'll loose their direct bus service from 31st St corridor to Roosevelt Island.

Majority of Roosevelt Islanders that utilize the Q102 get on at Queensboro plaza....

Majority of Roosevelt Islanders that get on along 31st st, are usually off the bus by time it hits Queensbridge projects

(which is also where some of those folks that get on the 102 at QBP get off at)....

No way are the majority of Roosevelt Islanders (that utilize the Q102) ride from somewhere along 31st st, to Roosevelt Island.... Whatever outcries from riders along 31st st that ride out to Roosevelt Island, would be minimal.... A better argument would be, they (and by "they", I'm referring to the [notable] elderly ridership along 31st) would be furious if the Q102 were to be eliminated, because it would mean they'd either have to a] walk to get to, b] hike up steps to catch the astoria line at the station nearest to them, c] catch the Q66 or Q101 to QBP, or some combination of { a & b }, or { a & c }....

If the red bus ran over to Queensboro Plaza, the Q102 would cease to exist & the Q103 would gain that many more riders due to it.... The fact that it's the only MTA route that serves Roosevelt Island, is keeping that route alive IMO.....

This so-called "study" in general is plain junk, I mean, it's useless and only trying to mess things up for commuters

Yes, and I'll be more specific too....

Messing things up for the non-yuppie & non-hipster crowd that currently utilize the routes they'd f*ck up with their bright ideas to have more hipsters & yuppies utilize the affected routes in question.... 

....I think Q103 need to be coordinate with arriving/departing ferry similar to SI Buses or SIRT waiting for SIF.

....I think the MTA should start a rush hour pilot to the ferry rush hours.

I don't.... At all.

This isn't something the MTA shouldn't be delving into.... Let NY Waterway run buses in Queens, looping around whatever areas of LIC & Hunterspoint they deem fit, to bring the maximal amount of patrons of those two areas, to/from the ferry.....

I thought the extension of the Q103 had less to do with the Ferry and more to do with the Gentrification of Vernon Blvd.

.....of which said area's patrons want the ferry.

----

(FTR, I get the demand exists... My problem is having MTA routes run down to that ferry (in the case of the 103, run down there again))

There was the old Q69, but we all know what happened with that.

The Q103 serve more areas though, so I think a trial should be done.

The Q103 also ran to the ferry (when the first use of the "Q69" existed)....

I personally don't think it's worth extending the 103 there again - Even if Hunterspoint significantly grew in [yuppie] population since then....

As for the old 69 (to be fair), it was structured so that riders coming off the (7), the (G), and the LIRR had access to the ferry.... Which is why (I believe) it was free...

It's better than combing it with the B32 or 62 as some have suggested

Maybe I'm missing something here, but in context of what's being talked about, I can't fathom anyone using the B32 or the B62 to get to the ferry.....

I might combine it with the Q19.

The Q19 got enough of an extension... It would have no business running to Hunterspoint... None whatsoever.

----

It's bad enough you have these characters in this proposal in question extending it from the Astoria PJ's to Roosevelt Island, in an attempt to justify eliminating the Q102.... Those riders out there tend to not ride any further than 31st/Broadway anyway, so to provide that connection for Astoria PJ's riders would be nothing short of wasteful....

QM24: Increase the headway in the morning before 7 AM from 15 minutes to 20 minutes on both branches:

Reason: Those buses, at every 15 minutes, are coming in like 2/3's or sometimes about 1/2 full. I can tolerate 20 minutes; I think 15 minutes is an excess in service. 

A slight change in schedule, to move the 6 Avenue bus start 3 minutes earlier at 6:07 AM (every bus until the 7 AM hour will start 3 minutes earlier).

As for the 8 AM hour, there's more riders, but the headways could also be increased (for 6 Avenue bus, the departures would be atfter the 7:55 AM trip at 8:10 AM, 8:30 AM, and 8:50 AM as it is; for 3 Avenue trips, after the 8:00 AM departure; at 8:15 AM, 8:35 AM, and 8:55 AM.

QM24: Increase the headway in the morning before 7 AM from 15 minutes to 20 minutes on both branches:

Reason: Those buses, at every 15 minutes, are coming in like 2/3's or sometimes about 1/2 full. I can tolerate 20 minutes; I think 15 minutes is an excess in service. 

A slight change in schedule, to move the 6 Avenue bus start 3 minutes earlier at 6:07 AM (every bus until the 7 AM hour will start 3 minutes earlier).

As for the 8 AM hour, there's more riders, but the headways could also be increased (for 6 Avenue bus, the departures would be atfter the 7:55 AM trip at 8:10 AM, 8:30 AM, and 8:50 AM as it is; for 3 Avenue trips, after the 8:00 AM departure; at 8:15 AM, 8:35 AM, and 8:55 AM.

lol... You sure do want to kill off what QM24 service is left don't you? 5 minutes may not seem like a lot but it makes a heck of a difference and if you're looking to entice riders and encourage ridership (which is what these service levels do), cutting peak service to 20 minutes is not a good idea.

lol... You sure do want to kill off what QM24 service is left don't you? 5 minutes may not seem like a lot but it makes a heck of a difference and if you're looking to entice riders and encourage ridership (which is what these service levels do), cutting peak service to 20 minutes is not a good idea.

Peak service is still every 10 minutes, and most of the ridership is from 7 AM to 8 AM. Granted, you still have people on during the AM hour at 8 AM, but I said the headways would be 20 minutes on each branch before 7 AM and after 8:10 AM. You have some decent loads on those buses, but before 7 AM, the headway is generous as it is, those buses are like midway to 2/3 full. I'm pretty sure they could take an extra load.

At 7 AM is when loads are much heavier, and that's where headways would remain the same. Not only that, but you do know that those headways in the morning were decreased from the previous headways of every 20 minutes. It's not one bus, but all of them are the same: half full, or slightly more than that.

This was the schedule back then , look at the service before 7 AM. More or less, with correlation to what I mentioned, as what should have stayed.

http://web.archive.org/web/20110627041122/http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm024cur.pdf

Furthermore, all the cuts to service between 7 AM and 8 AM from this schedule to the current went to the addition of adding these trips (for the 15 minute headways). If they wanted to entice riders to use the bus, boy did they mess around and add service to where it wasn't heavily needed. They would've added it elsewhere. The 20 minute headways from before were fine itself.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Is this Q105 really needed? Steinway is getting overserved IMO. Is the 101 that bad?

A large part of the problem that plagues the Q101 is that, for the current amount of service the route gets, it gets handcuffed (so to speak) in Manhattan....  Putting it another way, it gives off the illusion that the Q101 needs more service than what it does (especially if you're riding within Queens).... I would argue that every trip doesn't even need to run to Manhattan... Having x amount of Q101's during the day running intra-boroughally, I believe, would instantly solve that problem....

It's not like the q60, for example, that has a myriad of trips throughout the day.....

(of course we know that route bunches like crazy, but that's neither here nor there)

If Q101's are arriving in Manhattan in bunches, something is sorely wrong...

But yeah, Steinway (st) doesn't need a supplementary route... That implicates that ridership is bursting at the seams along it, which is hardly the case.....It has to be one or the other (a Q101 or a "Q105"), but it cannot be both... If there is a very high demand from patrons up around/along the 101 down towards court sq., hunters point, etc., then you revoke all Q101 service from Manhattan & have it ending at the hunterspoint ferry (via their proposed routing or w/e)....

just to be clear.... My problem isn't so much the 105 routing - It's the fact that the 101 & the 105 would run along Steinway st....

As we already mentioned, that is overkill.

Peak service is still every 10 minutes, and most of the ridership is from 7 AM to 8 AM. Granted, you still have people on during the AM hour at 8 AM, but I said the headways would be 20 minutes on each branch before 7 AM and after 8:10 AM. You have some decent loads on those buses, but before 7 AM, the headway is generous as it is, those buses are like midway to 2/3 full. I'm pretty sure they could take an extra load.

At 7 AM is when loads are much heavier, and that's where headways would remain the same. Not only that, but you do know that those headways in the morning were decreased from the previous headways of every 20 minutes. It's not one bus, but all of them are the same: half full, or slightly more than that.

This was the schedule back then , look at the service before 7 AM. More or less, with correlation to what I mentioned, as what should have stayed.

http://web.archive.org/web/20110627041122/http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm024cur.pdf

Furthermore, all the cuts to service between 7 AM and 8 AM from this schedule to the current went to the addition of adding these trips (for the 15 minute headways). If they wanted to entice riders to use the bus, boy did they mess around and add service to where it wasn't heavily needed. They would've added it elsewhere. The 20 minute headways from before were fine itself.

I think you're making a much to do about nothing.  If they're 2/3rd's full then that's good enough.  Don't screw with people's commutes and make it more difficult for them to get to work.

A large part of the problem that plagues the Q101 is that, for the current amount of service the route gets, it gets handcuffed (so to speak) in Manhattan....  Putting it another way, it gives off the illusion that the Q101 needs more service than what it does (especially if you're riding within Queens).... I would argue that every trip doesn't even need to run to Manhattan... Having x amount of Q101's during the day running intra-boroughally, I believe, would instantly solve that problem....

It's not like the q60, for example, that has a myriad of trips throughout the day.....

(of course we know that route bunches like crazy, but that's neither here nor there)

If Q101's are arriving in Manhattan in bunches, something is sorely wrong...

But yeah, Steinway (st) doesn't need a supplementary route... That implicates that ridership is bursting at the seams along it, which is hardly the case.....It has to be one or the other (a Q101 or a "Q105"), but it cannot be both... If there is a very high demand from patrons up around/along the 101 down towards court sq., hunters point, etc., then you revoke all Q101 service from Manhattan & have it ending at the hunterspoint ferry (via their proposed routing or w/e)....

just to be clear.... My problem isn't so much the 105 routing - It's the fact that the 101 & the 105 would run along Steinway st....

As we already mentioned, that is overkill.

Look at the odd NB terminal they had it...Astoria Blvd. 

I think you're making a much to do about nothing.  If they're 2/3rd's full then that's good enough.  Don't screw with people's commutes and make it more difficult for them to get to work.

Yeah, but 2/3 full is the maximum, almost always, the loads are less during that time period.

Bottom line is, the original change did nothing but even further split up the current ridership on those trips up. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

For a BK to LGA purposes I'd much rather restore the (G) back to QB Full-time, send some (R) s or (M) s to 179th during the rush if 71st would be too overwhelmed.... Much more efficient and faster travel for any would be BK-LGA patrons  (G) to Q70 over any direct 'prone to delays' bus route would be. 

For a BK to LGA purposes I'd much rather restore the (G) back to QB Full-time, send some (R) s or (M) s to 179th during the rush if 71st would be too overwhelmed.... Much more efficient and faster travel for any would be BK-LGA patrons   (G) to Q70 over any direct 'prone to delays' bus route would be. 

Whether or not there's enough demand for Bklyn-LGA for a bus is debatable, but what's definitely not debatable is that there isn't nearly enough demand to justify three locals on the QBL local, and that Hillside local riders will not stand for a QBL local stopping at their stops instead of an express (F).

Is it possible to build an off street bus terminal in Long Island City? I don't understand why some routes have to serve both Court Square and terminate at "Queens Plaza".

I would've proposed the area along Jackson Avenue from 42 Rd to Queens Plaza North (but that's private property). Unless the MTA buys it and remodels it, I do not see it happening at all.

It would've been much more possible ten years ago, when the area was not nearly as booming as it is now.

To be perfectly honest, the way the MTA does bus terminals is not best practice; what they should do is build off-street terminals integrated with subway entrances and sell off the air rights, in a similar fashion to the ones in Hong Kong, like so:

Tsz_Wan_Shan_(Central)_Bus_Terminus_(Hon

It would've been much more possible ten years ago, when the area was not nearly as booming as it is now.

To be perfectly honest, the way the MTA does bus terminals is not best practice; what they should do is build off-street terminals integrated with subway entrances and sell off the air rights, in a similar fashion to the ones in Hong Kong, like so:

When the Main Street (7) Station was being rehabbed, the initial design concept actually included an underground passageway to a bus terminal on the site of the former Municipal Parking Field #1. Both the local politicians and Community Board #7 bitterly opposed that concept because passengers would have been able to move directly between trains and buses without walking past (and thus seeing) any street-level stores. Of course, the owners of those stores also oppose the use of curb space for bus stops.

When the Main Street (7) Station was being rehabbed, the initial design concept actually included an underground passageway to a bus terminal on the site of the former Municipal Parking Field #1. Both the local politicians and Community Board #7 bitterly opposed that concept because passengers would have been able to move directly between trains and buses without walking past (and thus seeing) any street-level stores. Of course, the owners of those stores also oppose the use of curb space for bus stops.

To be perfectly honest, that location wasn't exactly the best anyways; there's no good way to get from Kissena or Main to Union from the south.