Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

It was only that outbound trip leaving before 10 AM that was cut, and for the most part, service redistrubuted throughout the rest of the rush hour.

There have been talks to try to get extra QM24 service running, but that has almost always never left the planning stage. 

What are the average per-trip loads?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading a post on subchat, I see some organization (NYMTC) coming out with Q66's running from Flushing to Columbus Circle... That's not the first time I've heard this idea floating around either....

Hell, I don't think the Q66 should run to Queensboro Plaza, let alone Columbus Circle....

You want to quell problems on the Q66, cut it to Northern Blvd. subway, or run it down to the (7) via the Q104... SBS-ing the Q66 isn't going to cure much of anything along Northern Blvd.....

NYMTC is the planning organization that all the federal money for New York City gets funneled through. They're used to big capital projects, not bus routes.

The day a Columbus Circle-Queens route is a good idea is the day the QB has a bus lane, which is never going to happen.

Since that's the case, maybe they should stay in their "lane"....

Totally ignoring how long the route already is from Flushing to Columbus Circle, what would the routing even be in Manhattan?

probably via 2nd/3rd, to/from 57th.... terminate with the M10....

Edited by B35 via Church

Absolutely no demand for it...it's called the (7) to the (1)

....or the Q66 to the (R) [57th] and a walk!

Q66 to columbus circle....

See, the crowds that sometimes accumulate for the Q66 at QBP don't fool me; the majority of those people generally ride no further than Ravenswood on the strength of *it's just another bus*; these same people can take the Q69 - and in the reverse direction, that's exactly what's done... Don't know how many times I've gotten off at 21st (F) to see QBP bound Q66's carrying air, or less than a handful of ppl. from it....

So yeah, I'm not buying the necessity for Q66's to QBP as it is, and the Q66 to CC is simply plain damn crazy, for the reason you stated (no demand)..... The folks along/around Northern Blvd aren't tryna get to the west side of Manhattan, to have Q66's swinging out there... So it's like, what's the point of such an extension.... Who is this supposed to benefit? Riders that really want the Q32, but can't get to it feasibly because it runs too far east (in Manhattan) :lol: ...

....or the Q66 to the (R) [57th] and a walk!

Q66 to columbus circle....

See, the crowds that sometimes accumulate for the Q66 at QBP don't fool me; the majority of those people generally ride no further than Ravenswood on the strength of *it's just another bus*; these same people can take the Q69 - and in the reverse direction, that's exactly what's done... Don't know how many times I've gotten off at 21st (F) to see QBP bound Q66's carrying air, or less than a handful of ppl. from it....

So yeah, I'm not buying the necessity for Q66's to QBP as it is, and the Q66 to CC is simply plain damn crazy, for the reason you stated (no demand)..... The folks along/around Northern Blvd aren't tryna get to the west side of Manhattan, to have Q66's swinging out there... So it's like, what's the point of such an extension.... Who is this supposed to benefit? Riders that really want the Q32, but can't get to it feasibly because it runs too far east (in Manhattan) :lol: ...

You could add the Q100 to that equation too...

You could add the Q100 to that equation too...

Nah, the Q100 gets usage north of Ravenswood at QBP & at the (F) as well....

What I'm getting at with the Q66, the usage at QBP tends to die at Ravenswood - Then a new set of riders (new/different riderbase) gets on at the mall @ 48th, towards flushing.... I'm attacking the (inconsistent) usage west of the mall on 48th as a hindrance to the Q66 route as a whole... Extending the Q66 past where I think service shouldn't really be running anyway, is the absolute icing on the cake for me.....

Nah, the Q100 gets usage north of Ravenswood at QBP & at the (F) as well....

What I'm getting at with the Q66, the usage at QBP tends to die at Ravenswood - Then a new set of riders (new/different riderbase) gets on at the mall @ 48th, towards flushing.... I'm attacking the (inconsistent) usage west of the mall on 48th as a hindrance to the Q66 route as a whole... Extending the Q66 past where I think service shouldn't really be running anyway, is the absolute icing on the cake for me.....

I could only imagine your reaction in 1989 when the Q66 was extended westward to Queensbridge...

Since that's the case, maybe they should stay in their "lane"....

probably via 2nd/3rd, to/from 57th.... terminate with the M10....

They're probably bored (and the MTA almost never listens to other planning organizations anyways.) They have to do something, and they have to exist due to federal law, but given that no one has heard of this agency and all our money is tied up in SAS and East Side Access for the time being, they don't have anything to do.

I agree though, they should stick to publishing that Hub-Bound traffic report they put out every year.

I could only imagine your reaction in 1989 when the Q66 was extended westward to Queensbridge...

I was only 7 or 8 when that happened, but I do understand it was extended, due to the 63rd st connector opening.....

While I don't know how well that extension was received or utilized then, I've come to the conclusion that it's no longer needed now...

Q66 to Columbus Circle? Are they high?

nah they are strung out on something not meant for this world.  

Totally ignoring how long the route already is from Flushing to Columbus Circle, what would the routing even be in Manhattan?

none as more local buses in queens do not need Manhattan period. Q66 needs a truncation as does Q101.

none as more local buses in queens do not need Manhattan period. Q66 needs a truncation as does Q101.

Yeah, I'd take the 101 out of Manhattan also.... I find that some of those people take 101's because they don't want to deal with the crowds on the 60.....

Edited by B35 via Church

True. If anything, I would keep the Q66 as is, shorten the Q101 to Queens Plaza, and shorten the Q32 to Columbus Circle.

There is no demand for a Queens route to go to Columbus circle if anything the (7) to the (E) and walking is much faster than a bus that gets caught in traffic on the bridge. The Q32 goes to Penn Station not even go pass Columbus Circle.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

• 2 weeks later...

X63 Midday Service

Last bus to Manhattan from Rosedale will be at 2:00 PM instead of 8:09 AM. 

First bus to Rosedale from Manhattan will leave at 11:00 AM instead of 3:49 PM.

Buses will run on hourly headways starting from the 9 AM hour, and ending at 3 PM.

However, there is a difference in routing:

Buses will utilize the LIE, then get off on Exit 16, utilize Hunters Point Avenue, then right on Van Dam Street, utilize Queens Blvd bridge ramp, then get off the bridge, down 2 Avenue, right on 57 Street, and regular route

The route will bypass 3 Avenue because of the increased runtime that it would cause, compared to the routing around LIC.

Another proposal is to make the official routing of all the QM's on the LIE towards Queens , with the QM3 being the exception

X63 Midday Service

Buses will run on hourly headways starting from the 9 AM hour, and ending at 3 PM.

Buses will utilize the LIE, then get off on Exit 16, utilize Hunters Point Avenue, then right on Van Dam Street, utilize Queens Blvd bridge ramp, then get off the bridge, down 2 Avenue, right on 57 Street, and regular route

The route will bypass 3 Avenue because of the increased runtime that it would cause, compared to the routing around LIC.

Another proposal is to make the official routing of all the QM's on the LIE towards Queens , with the QM3 being the exception

Why are you having the X63 use the Queensboro Bridge? Van Dam Street and Queens Blvd around the bridge are usually congested at certain hours.

X63 Midday Service

Why does the X63 need midday service when ridership continues to decrease on the line?

....However, there is a difference in routing:

Trying to serve the industry with an express route again?

This diversion sticks out to me more than the addition of midday service....

Edited by B35 via Church