Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

SAS

What I think the MTA should do is make the (T) train, become a "loop train" that goes around all 5 boroughs, including Staten Island, I think it will connect people from one borough to another especially Staten Island quicker, instead of having to wait 20-35 minutes on a ferry ride, let alone waiting another 20-35 for it to arrive, meaning on average, people wait 40-70 minutes for one ferry, either way the west side of Staten Island needs a train, the SIR only serves the east side. In the matter of the Bronx, it needs another B Division train, only the (D) train, serves the Bronx full time, the (B) only comes around during weekday rush hours, also Throgs Neck is in desperate need for more service, it only has the Bx40/42 and BxM9, I first thought it should go to Co-Op City, like around Bartow Avenue, but Co-Op City already has enough connections, the (5) runs close by and there is the Bx12 +Select Bus Service+, Bx23, Bx26, Bx28, Bx29, Bx30, Bx38, Q50, and BxM7, the Bx12 +Select Bus Service+, Bx23, Bx29, and Q50 serve a connection to the (6) train at Pelham Bay Park and the BxM7 connects to Midtown Manhattan, so it doesn't need the (T) train, but in the Bronx, only the Q44 and Q50 bus goes to Queens, so I think the (T) train so go from Throgs Neck to Queens, the it should go through the middle of Queens, the continue to Brooklyn, back to Staten Island, the back to Manhattan, there should be trains headed southbound from Manhattan and northbound from Manhattan to reduce waiting times, and if an additional express service should be added during rush hours, it should be added, I think this will make the city move much faster, the only problem, is that it will cost a lot of $$$, so I dont know if it will happen, but it's just a suggestion.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SAS

What I think the MTA should do is make the (T) train, become a "loop train" that goes around all 5 boroughs, including Staten Island, I think it will connect people from one borough to another especially Staten Island quicker, instead of having to wait 20-35 minutes on a ferry ride, let alone waiting another 20-35 for it to arrive, meaning on average, people wait 40-70 minutes for one ferry, either way the west side of Staten Island needs a train, the SIR only serves the east side. In the matter of the Bronx, it needs another B Division train, only the (D) train, serves the Bronx full time, the (B) only comes around during weekday rush hours, also Throgs Neck is in desperate need for more service, it only has the Bx40/42 and BxM9, I first thought it should go to Co-Op City, like around Bartow Avenue, but Co-Op City already has enough connections, the (5) runs close by and there is the Bx12 +Select Bus Service+, Bx23, Bx26, Bx28, Bx29, Bx30, Bx38, Q50, and BxM7, the Bx12 +Select Bus Service+, Bx23, Bx29, and Q50 serve a connection to the (6) train at Pelham Bay Park and the BxM7 connects to Midtown Manhattan, so it doesn't need the (T) train, but in the Bronx, only the Q44 and Q50 bus goes to Queens, so I think the (T) train so go from Throgs Neck to Queens, the it should go through the middle of Queens, the continue to Brooklyn, back to Staten Island, the back to Manhattan, there should be trains headed southbound from Manhattan and northbound from Manhattan to reduce waiting times, and if an additional express service should be added during rush hours, it should be added, I think this will make the city move much faster, the only problem, is that it will cost a lot of $$$, so I dont know if it will happen, but it's just a suggestion.

Hold on, let me just...

OK, have my anger blocker on! :lol:

Novel idea, but a number of problems/uncertainties:

1. The Triboro RX to SI idea is similar. However, it has many roadblocks as it uses Amtrak rail.

2. A route going through all 5 boros would be too long and too unreliable as a local subway route.

3. Like you said, it's at the border of fantasy because of costs. Not to be a killjoy, but dream on.

4. The current (T) is fine as is. How would this route work using Second Avenue anyway? :huh:

There will be lay up tracks west of the 125th station, and north of the turn at 2nd Ave and 125th. If you go thru the documentation about sas on the mta website, they state what yards and lay ups trains will use.

The yard is basically going to be placed right below 129 Street on Second Avenue. Two tracks from that same yard will be extended to the Bronx.

I believe there will be a yard at 125th Street and the (T) will most likely by R179's or R211's.

As a grammar nazi master, I must correct the quoted post. Corrections follow:

"I believe there will be a yard at 125 Street, and the
(T)
will most likely feature R179 or R211 subway cars."

Hold on, let me just...

1. The Triboro RX to SI idea is similar. However, it has many roadblocks as it uses Amtrak rail.

2. A route going through all 5 boros would be too long and too unreliable as a local subway route.

3. Like you said, it's at the border of fantasy because of costs. Not to be a killjoy, but dream on.

4. The current (T) is fine as is. How would this route work using Second Avenue anyway? :huh:

Well I was just making a suggestion, but I do think at least the (T) should serve Throgs Neck of the Bronx, it was proposed and still debated, Im not saying that the route serving Second Avenue solely wouldnt be good enough, I mean the (4)(5) and (6) lines are already over crowded, and you dont have to get angry at me, it was just a thought. :(

Any loop line in general would probably avoid Manhattan since all loop lines in other cities avoid running through the city center which is in this case Manhattan. So such a line would run from New Jersey and through the four other Boroughs but not Manhattan, but such a line is impossible since it is so long, and construction cost would be in the billions. Not to mention the long wait time for construction and the problem between the (MTA) and the PA.

Well I was just making a suggestion, but I do think at least the (T) should serve Throgs Neck of the Bronx, it was proposed and still debated, Im not saying that the route serving Second Avenue solely wouldnt be good enough, I mean the (4)(5) and (6) lines are already over crowded, and you dont have to get angry at me, it was just a thought. :(

I wasn't angry...

Throgs Neck residents don't want service, it isn't realistic to build that much new track. I proposed connecting the (T) to Culver and sending it to Avenue X, which would provide a second connection to Brooklyn.

New York City will never have a loop line *until* a unified subway system is built through New Jersey. Otherwise you're just looping around half of the city. Of course, because of all the ridiculous red tape, that won't happen.

Hold on, let me just...

The Triboro RX is more likely to happen than a loop of a (T) line. At least most of the tracks are already in place with the Triboro RX. You can't say the same for the the loop of a (T).

However, I am not convinced that the current (T) is fine as is. It has no express tracks and no services in outer boroughs.

I wasn't angry...

Throgs Neck residents don't want service, it isn't realistic to build that much new track. I proposed connecting the (T) to Culver and sending it to Avenue X, which would provide a second connection to Brooklyn.

It's hard to say that an entire neighborhood doesn't want service when it's usually the vocal minority. The rich Upper East Siders with their private transportation clearly aren't too happy about getting subway service, yet the many people who live and work there will use it once built.

London, Moscow, Chicago, Tokyo, Sydney, Singapore, Beijing, Madrid, Berlin, Seoul, Shanghai seem to do just fine.

For more info: http://mic-ro.com/me...metrorings.html

Chicago's loop is only less than 2 square miles. That, and all five routes either loop around and leave, or are through-routed, making it as efficient as it can get (aside from other problems).

In the case of the proposal...it would be way too much, too inefficient, and way too costly (although I'm one for extending it through the Bronx if it ever gets north of 125th).

If a loop is what we want, why not just extend the (M) along the current LIRR freight tracks to Jackson Heights? It's not likely to happen, but it would be much more cost effective than a (T) loop.

Noh

I don't understand. If you're saying the (T) should go to Montague, it makes sense, but we're not sure if the SAS can be connected to that tunnel.

If you connect the SAS to the Nassau Street line, then the (T) can access the Montauge Tunnel (as I would do it, after Houston going directly to Canal/Centre Street with the abandoned eastbound tracks re-activated with the (J) using the "local" tracks and the (T) using the "express" tracks at Canal Street with the merger being south of Canal Street towards Chambers).

Good idea. I'm afraid the (MTA) might have to clean up Chambers though. You could run the (T) down into Brooklyn via the Montague. Then you could have the (T) run via the (R) and then have it branch off to terminate at 8th Avenue. The (T) should be connected to more lines because now, we are part of a unified subway system. Oh, where is the yard for the (T)?

Edited by jimmy7train

Bad idea, IMO. The (T) could be as much as 18 TPH, we need to keep it out of Dekalb Junction. I say drop Phase 4 and connect it to Rutgers instead and send it to Avenue X. It could only be 15 TPH, but it is enough to service 2nd Avenue for now.

Good idea. I'm afraid the (MTA) might have to clean up Chambers though. I was also thinking about express farther down on the (T). Maybe a three-track line. But if you connect the (T) to the (R) it might become the (T ). You could send the (T) to Coney. But that would be useless. You could run the (T) down into Brooklyn via the Montague. Then you could have the (T) run via the (R) and then have it branch off to terminate at 8th Avenue. The (T) should be connected to more lines because now, we are part of a unified subway system.

Please organize this post.

Oh, where is the yard for the (T)?

Possibly 125 Street.

Bad idea, IMO. The (T) could be as much as 18 TPH, we need to keep it out of Dekalb Junction. I say drop Phase 4 and connect it to Rutgers instead and send it to Avenue X. It could only be 15 TPH, but it is enough to service 2nd Avenue for now.

Your right about DeKalb. The (F) could be Culver Express. Then the (T) could be Culver Local. This should only happen during rush though.

Edited by jimmy7train