Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll be nice if the (MTA) and the rest of the country had good, then it wouldn't be a problem building subway expansion projects like this #justsayin. After Houston St, (T) for a start should go to Lower Manhattan as a sole east side line to relieve the Lexington completely and along 3rd Av to Concourse Yard. So far as Culver express, that's an whole another issue.

It'll be nice if the (MTA) and the rest of the country had good, then it wouldn't be a problem building subway expansion projects like this #justsayin. After Houston St, (T) for a start should go to Lower Manhattan as a sole east side line to relieve the Lexington completely and along 3rd Av to Concourse Yard. So far as Culver express, that's an whole another issue.

I agree here. I really don't see any need for the (T) to go to Brooklyn.

On that note however does anyone know if the connection they made from the (M) to the (F) is new? Or was it just unused?

Archer Av and the 63 St tunnel are the newest (except new South Ferry) segments of track now in service.

Secondly, who said the (T) will only be 8-10 tph? It could be as much as 20 without causing significant problems with the (Q).

Finally, IMHO if they can get the (T) to go to Brooklyn relatively cheaply, they should. Brooklyn is a huge market for the (4)(5).

Archer Av and the 63 St tunnel are the newest (except new South Ferry) segments of track now in service.

Secondly, who said the (T) will only be 8-10 tph? It could be as much as 20 without causing significant problems with the (Q).

Finally, IMHO if they can get the (T) to go to Brooklyn relatively cheaply, they should. Brooklyn is a huge market for the (4)(5).

Agreed. If a connection to Rutgers costs less than Phase 4 (which it should) then by all means, do it! It gives the (T) direct access to a yard & gives the SAS a second Brooklyn connection.

I wouldn't be talkin if I were you...

Don't start.

(God, we are now like VG8 & Checkmate of the subway forums, smh...)

Everything happens for a reason

Actually a (T) running to Brooklyn will most certainly take at least half of the loads of the Lexington Avenue Line. At least half of the current Lexington Avenue riders come from Brooklyn. Now if we can do the same thing with the Bronx.

When I said and done SAS should have two services. The Bronx-Coney Island (T) and the other SAS route from Queens to Lower Manhattan (for the other SAS route to happen, Queens Blvd needs to increase it's capacity super-express or not) almost complimenting the (E).

SAS doesn't really need two services (not counting the (Q) ). I don't see the need for the (T) or the other SAS line go down Water St when annexing the Nassau line would allow for: cheaper costs by using an underused line and allow for a direct connection to Brooklyn. I think the (T) via 4th av would be very useful especially to help take off some riders on the (4)(5) by providing a parallel service. As for what part of the Nassau line to connect at, that's up to everyone here. I still say it should be b/w Canal and Chambers, but others have said around Bowery, so eh.

OK, one whole post for that?!

<_<

He's been doing that (one word stuff) for a bunch of posts recently. Edited by Grand Concourse

But if you were to connect it at Canal/Chambers wouldn't you need to do tunneling across lower manhattan which no one wants? Connect it at Bowery, it's easier. Put some use to the abandoned platform there and at Chambers St also. If an extension along 4th Av somewhere were to be thought of, have the (T) run like the the (W). Local, with a connection to the (F) at 9th Street and to Kings Highway where it can turn.

@ThrexxBus and Grand Concourse

Problem?

SAS doesn't really need two services (not counting the (Q) ). I don't see the need for the (T) or the other SAS line go down Water St when annexing the Nassau line would allow for: cheaper costs by using an underused line and allow for a direct connection to Brooklyn. I think the (T) via 4th av would be very useful especially to help take off some riders on the (4)(5) by providing a parallel service. As for what part of the Nassau line to connect at, that's up to everyone here. I still say it should be b/w Canal and Chambers, but others have said around Bowery, so eh.

The deep soil around that area isn't stable enough for a connection, but Rutgers is, so that connection would be more feasible.

@ThrexxBus and Grand Concourse

Problem?

Yes. We have a problem. ;)

That's true, but being further inland increases the likeliness of any such connection.

Not nessessarily. The original shoreline came up to between water and madison sts. so it doesnt really increase the chances. During original construcion of E. Broadway Station, a provision was made for the proposed canal st crosstown to meet the houston st crosstown to merge at S 4th St mega station in Williamsburg Its alignment was to travel north on east broadway to Bk, south of east broadway to canal. This provision made decades ago, plus the state of the ground after all these decades (housing complexes, foundation shifting/settling, ground shifting over the decades) may actually make this idea even less likely.

But if you were to connect it at Canal/Chambers wouldn't you need to do tunneling across lower manhattan which no one wants? Connect it at Bowery, it's easier. Put some use to the abandoned platform there and at Chambers St also. If an extension along 4th Av somewhere were to be thought of, have the run like the the . Local, with a connection to the at 9th Street and to Kings Highway where it can turn.

The line would require more tunneling if it had to go further down via Water st. I think an inconvenience in one area will be better in the long term.

See isn't this better than 1 word posts that does nothing?

The deep soil around that area isn't stable enough for a connection, but Rutgers is, so that connection would be more feasible.

Around which area? Centre St/Bowery?