Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lance

I have to agree here. It would be an operations nightmare to say the least. Entering Brooklyn, the (D) would have to switch over to the local tracks and the (R) would have to cut over to the express tracks between DeKalb Av and Pacific St, thus causing unnecessary delays. The (R) would then have to cross back over to the local tracks before 36 St/4 Av southbound to serve the local stations through 95 St while the (D) would still be on the same local tracks until it diverges over to the West End line. If you think the (R) is slow now, just try and implement that cockamamie plan of yours and see how slow it could get. I can tell you for a fact that the 4th Avenue line needs less weaving and merging, not more.

In mine, the (R) does go back to Astoria (and 24/7), but is also swapped with the (D) on the Brooklyn end with the (R) taking over the West End and the (D) going to 95th Street.

The (N) still goes to Astoria weekdays from 5:30 AM-10:00 PM and at other times goes to 96th-2nd Avenue with the (Q).

The (G) goes back to 71st-Continental at all times while the (M) is also at least a 19/7 train there. To avoid rush-hour congestion, during those times and as needed otherwise, they are extended to 179th.

Why would you want three lines (All Three Lines) from Broadway ending at Coney Island?

I doubt that the (Q) and the (T) would need help from the (N) at night. I know some say the (Q) is going to 57 St in the night and on weekends, but I think that it is going to 72 St or 125 St.

If you sent the (G) to Continental again, you might as well just make the (M) brown. If the Crosstown Local went back out there, just put the (M) back to Chambers or Broad all times, just like back in the day.

And BROTHER, the (G) and (M) to 179 St? I think the (E) and (F) do a pretty good job already.

When the SAS is opened, i'd just bring back the (W), Bay Parkway-Astoria. I'd help out the (R) on 4th & replace the (Q) in Astoria.

If they brought back the (W), and put it from Bay Pkwy to Astoria Ditmars Blvd, they could surely run the (D) as Express all times in the peak direction.

If they brought back the (W), and put it from Bay Pkwy to Astoria Ditmars Blvd, they could surely run the (D) as Express all times in the peak direction.

I think they'd be a sudden drop in (D) ridership and a equally sudden spike in (W) ridership if they did that...

There won't be any express on West End: most of the riders are on the local stops and you'd just have empty express trains. I don't think the West End line needs another line. West End's 9th av stop would be useful to turn back the extra 4th av locals.

So you are basically saying that the (W) should go to 9 Av.

I think the (W) should go to Whitehall and the <W> should just be an extension to Bay Parkway. No weekend service.

What about keeping things simple?:

Rush Hours and Midday:

(N) Astoria - Coney Island via Sea Beach, Broadway Express, via Bridge, 4 Av. Express

(Q) 96 St. - Coney Island via Brighton, Broadway Express, via Bridge, Brighton Local

(R) 71 Av. - 95 Street, Broadway Local, via Whitehall, 4 Av. Local

(W) Astoria - Bay Pkwy Rush Hour/9 Av. Midday, via West End, Broadway Local, via Whitehall, 4 Av. Local

Evenings and Late Nights:

(N) Astoria - Coney Island via Sea Beach, Broadway Local, via Bridge, 4 Av. Express

(Q) 96 St. - Coney Island via Brighton, Broadway Express, via Bridge, Brighton Local

(R) 71 Av. Evenings/36 St. Late Nights - 95 Street, Broadway Local, via Whitehall, 4 Av. Local

(W) Astoria - Whitehall St. (perhaps Canal St.) Evenings, Broadway Local, via Whitehall(No service after 12:00)

Weekend:

(N) Astoria - Coney Island via Sea Beach, Broadway Local, via Bridge, 4 Av. Express

(W) Astoria - 9 Av. via West End, Broadway Local, via Whitehall, 4 Av. Local

That's a good plan but, just one problem: The (W) won't access have to a yard if you make it run between Astoria and 95th just like how the (R) didn't when it ran from Astoria to 95th.

I like the idea of restoring the (W) though.

People here are making the yard issue much bigger than it should be. It's not like the yard is in another borough and some rush hour trains has to run thru Sea Beach anyway. The only need for a yard is if the trains are prone to breakdowns and need an immediate replacement.

What about Keeping Things Simple?:

Rush Hours and Midday:

(W) Astoria - Bay Pkwy Rush Hour/9 Av. Midday, via West End, Broadway Local, via Whitehall, 4 Av. Local

(W) Astoria - Whitehall St. (perhaps Canal St.) Evenings, Broadway Local, via Whitehall(No service after 12:00)

Weekend:

Why not have the (W) go to 9 Av/Bay Pkwy during normal service, and rush hours with some peak directional (D) Express trains?

On weekends and late nights, cut it to Whitehall St?

Why not have the (W) go to 9 Av/Bay Pkwy during normal service, and rush hours with some peak directional (D) Express trains?

On weekends and late nights, cut it to Whitehall St?

I agree about the (W), not the (D) peak service.

Rush Hours and Midday:

(N) Astoria - Coney Island via Sea Beach, Broadway Express, via Bridge, 4 Av. Express

(R) 71 Av. Evenings/36 St. Late Nights - 95 Street, Broadway Local, via Whitehall, 4 Av. Local

Weekend:

The (W) should go to at least 9th Avenue all times. Plus, if the (W) comes back, the (N) should be full-time express.

Meant for the (N) to run express in Manhattan all times except late nights if there is no (W) service.

As for the (W) going to Brooklyn full time, well, I'm not sure what and how the demand is for an extra line on 4th Avenue or the West End.

Guest Lance

There probably isn't.

After giving it some thought, all these supplemental service ideas could easily be solved by increased service on the primary lines (the (D)(N)(Q) and (R)). There's nothing (besides the current lack of available cars and money) limiting those line from running 15 TPH, thus solving the Astoria problem, the 4th Avenue local problem, the West End problem and the Second Avenue problem. Simple, straight-forward and without the use of the (W).

Remember, the express/local portion of the Broadway line isn't that long. There's only five local stops between 57 St-7 Av and Canal St and if the (N)(Q) and (R) lines were streamlined (the (Q) as the full express [skips 49 St all times] to 57 St-7 Av [later to 96 St/2 Av] and the (N) and (R) as the locals to their current terminals) the trains would move much faster and you could fit more trains on the line.

There probably isn't.

After giving it some thought, all these supplemental service ideas could easily be solved by increased service on the primary lines (the (D)(N)(Q) and (R)). There's nothing (besides the current lack of available cars and money) limiting those line from running 15 TPH, thus solving the Astoria problem, the 4th Avenue local problem, the West End problem and the Second Avenue problem. Simple, straight-forward and without the use of the (W).

Remember, the express/local portion of the Broadway line isn't that long. There's only five local stops between 57 St-7 Av and Canal St and if the (N)(Q) and (R) lines were streamlined (the (Q) as the full express [skips 49 St all times] to 57 St-7 Av [later to 96 St/2 Av] and the (N) and (R) as the locals to their current terminals) the trains would move much faster and you could fit more trains on the line.

Were talking about the need for the (W) to come back when the (Q) goes to 96 Street. That can't be solved just with extra trains.

The Prince St switches slows down the (N) and the other 2 lines as opposed to switching over at 34th. What should've happened was either the (N) ran via tunnel and then 4th av express or they leave only the (R) as the local south of 34th. (W) was perfect for the rush hours, it should've only been used for that as opposed to the outright elimination.

Weekend:

Does Astoria really need both the N and the W on weekends? Does Broadway really need three locals on weekends? If anything, shouldn't 2nd Ave get more service. Maybe send the N to 96th with the Q and eliminate the needless switching at 34th or Prince Streets.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

Coexisting with the A on CPW is most likely what prevents the D from running 15 tph. As for the N, Q and R, running 15 tph apiece is excessive, especially if you 're going to run both the N and R local all the way through Manhattan and Brooklyn. Do the Broadway and 4th Ave Local stations really need 30 tph? Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

Guest Lance

When I said that the (N) and (R) would run local, I didn't mean they would duplicate each other between the two 59th Streets. Both lines would run their current routes, just with increased TPHs.