SCT Proposals 2012-2013 Thread

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.0004c02de03265f0ca60a&msa=0&ll=40.751418,-72.864847&spn=0.04545,0.104628

Some New Additions

S59: Discontinued and replaced by S57 and 7A (S57 new routing south of Sunrise is in the new map update, 7A to be released in the feeder's update, sometime soon)

8A: Discontinued and replace entirely by S58 and S62 (see update for routings), giving Calverton Residents a direct ride to Coram, Port Jeff, Lake Grove, Happaugue, and Commack instead of Backtracking to Riverhead.

S62: Wading River Branch Elminated as well as Miller Place branch to make way for diversion to Calverton

S63: Serves Gateway Mall, Route path modified in that intermediate area as well (see update)

S66: Closed door in Mastic and Shirley ( no intra Mastic Service or Shirley Service between Smith Road/ Montauk Hwy and Mastic Road/Montauk Hwy, use the 7E instead), and Route path modified in Mastic Beach to reduce redundant segments of the Route

S68: Extended to Hampton Bays, Replacing S90, 10D, and 10E. A schedule will follow.

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.0004c02de03265f0ca60a&msa=0&ll=40.751418,-72.864847&spn=0.04545,0.104628

Some New Additions

S59: Discontinued and replaced by S57 and 7A (S57 new routing south of Sunrise is in the new map update, 7A to be released in the feeder's update, sometime soon)

8A: Discontinued and replace entirely by S58 and S62 (see update for routings), giving Calverton Residents a direct ride to Coram, Port Jeff, Lake Grove, Happaugue, and Commack instead of Backtracking to Riverhead.

S62: Wading River Branch Elminated as well as Miller Place branch to make way for diversion to Calverton

S63: Serves Gateway Mall, Route path modified in that intermediate area as well (see update)

S66: Closed door in Mastic and Shirley ( no intra Mastic Service or Shirley Service between Smith Road/ Montauk Hwy and Mastic Road/Montauk Hwy, use the 7E instead), and Route path modified in Mastic Beach to reduce redundant segments of the Route

S68: Extended to Hampton Bays, Replacing S90, 10D, and 10E. A schedule will follow.

About the S68 Extention: There would need an extra bus for this proposal. The bus used on the S68, 10D/10E, and the S90 are three, but if you see the schedule, a round trip is 4 hours, and if each bus operates every hour, there would need one extra bus

Schedule: http://scaped.net/bus/S68

S66 service towards Patchogue will run 5 minutes later than all the times listed on the current schedule to maintain a 30 minute gap between buses

This proposal was also as part of the 2009 study

Thus it would kill 5 birds with one stone (S68, S90, 10D/10E, improvements from 2009 study, and more frequent and later service in the evening)

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.0004c02de03265f0ca60a&msa=0&ll=40.806533,-72.963638&spn=0.175411,0.41851

S71: Service extended to Smith Point County Park. The first two buses from Stony Brook as well as well as the 6:50 AM trip from SCC will bypass Research Way, LI State Veterans Home, Brookhaven Town Hall, and the 6:50 SCC trip and the 7:45 AM from Stoney Brook will bypass Yaphank, and go straight down on Horseblock Road. The 9:15 AM trip from Stony Brook will not. In addition, the 3:45 PM trip from Stony Brook will stop at LI State Veterans Home .

Towards Stony Brook, the S71 will leave the beach at 2:15, 3:45, and at 5:45 PM. These three trips will bypass LI State Veterans Home, and Yaphank (The last two only), as well as Brookhaven Town Hall ( ALL). The Runtime would be nearly the same in this scenario.

7E: Service to Smith Point County Park begins at 11:20 on the clockwise loop, and ending time from Smith Point Park would stay the same on the counter clockwise. However service to Smith Point Park would terminate at 1:20 PM on the clockwise loop. Smith Point thereafter would be request only on the clockwise loop. Service to smith point park begins at 10:50 on the counter-clockwise 7E loop (use the S71 for earlier trips)

About the S68 Extention: There would need an extra bus for this proposal. The bus used on the S68, 10D/10E, and the S90 are three, but if you see the schedule, a round trip is 4 hours, and if each bus operates every hour, there would need one extra bus

Schedule: http://scaped.net/bus/S68

S66 service towards Patchogue will run 5 minutes later than all the times listed on the current schedule to maintain a 30 minute gap between buses

Thus it would kill 5 birds with one stone (S68, S90, 10D/10E, improvements from 2009 study, and more frequent and later service in the evening)

closed door does not work well in rural areas kid the 7E is better off eliminated.

Wouldn't work, most of the S66 riders are from that stretch of the route, I should know I've actually ridden the S66.

Are you sure about that, I don't recall any such thing in the 2009 study?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.0004c02de03265f0ca60a&msa=0&ll=40.806533,-72.963638&spn=0.175411,0.41851

S71: Service extended to Smith Point County Park. The first two buses from Stony Brook as well as well as the 6:50 AM trip from SCC will bypass Research Way, LI State Veterans Home, Brookhaven Town Hall, and the 6:50 SCC trip and the 7:45 AM from Stoney Brook will bypass Yaphank, and go straight down on Horseblock Road. The 9:15 AM trip from Stony Brook will not. In addition, the 3:45 PM trip from Stony Brook will stop at LI State Veterans Home .

Towards Stony Brook, the S71 will leave the beach at 2:15, 3:45, and at 5:45 PM. These three trips will bypass LI State Veterans Home, and Yaphank (The last two only), as well as Brookhaven Town Hall ( ALL). The Runtime would be nearly the same in this scenario.

7E: Service to Smith Point County Park begins at 11:20 on the clockwise loop, and ending time from Smith Point Park would stay the same on the counter clockwise. However service to Smith Point Park would terminate at 1:20 PM on the clockwise loop. Smith Point thereafter would be request only on the clockwise loop. Service to smith point park begins at 10:50 on the counter-clockwise 7E loop (use the S71 for earlier trips)

You are aware that Suvice to Smith Point Park is only for the Summer right, and even then I doubt there is/ will be enough ridership to need another bus to go there. (I mean SCT did have another bus that ran to Smith Point but it was cut due to low ridership, and that route ran from the mall.)

3.Wouldn't work, most of the S66 riders are from that stretch of the route, I should know I've actually ridden the S66.

1.Are you sure about that, I don't recall any such thing in the 2009 study?

2.You are aware that Suvice to Smith Point Park is only for the Summer right, and even then I doubt there is/ will be enough ridership to need another bus to go there. (I mean SCT did have another bus that ran to Smith Point but it was cut due to low ridership, and that route ran from the mall.)

3. I'm saying that travels Within Mastic and Shirley only wouldn't be allowed. Those riders would use the 7E

1. It was towards the end of the book

2. I know its summers only. The thing is to eliminate unecessary trips on the 7E going from the beach to Mastic at around 6:30 AM, which isn't really used. Therefore the S71 would still service Shirley, saving the 7E time, and vice versa. The S71 would also connect to other buses, so technically it'll still serve the areas the S74 did, including Stoney Brook, the other ridership, etc.

In the very morning, the bus comes from Stoney Brook, and from about 9:30 to 1:00 PM, buses would go to/from the beach (7E), then back to Stony Brook.

3. I'm saying that travels Within Mastic and Shirley only wouldn't be allowed. Those riders would use the 7E

1. It was towards the end of the book

2. I know its summers only. The thing is to eliminate unecessary trips on the 7E going from the beach to Mastic at around 6:30 AM, which isn't really used. Therefore the S71 would still service Shirley, saving the 7E time, and vice versa. The S71 would also connect to other buses, so technically it'll still serve the areas the S74 did, including Stoney Brook, the other ridership, etc.

In the very morning, the bus comes from Stoney Brook, and from about 9:30 to 1:00 PM, buses would go to/from the beach (7E), then back to Stony Brook.

3. There is very little people that use the S66 for travel with in the Mastic-Mastic Beach- and Shirley, and those are mostly people who go to PathMark. But that is because the 7D/E time table isn't very stable, and it wouldn't be better if you combine the two routes (I tried making my own time table of a combine 7D/E and it didn't come out any better then how the routes are now. It's probably why they haven't attempted to combined them. That being said it is still not right to not allow people traveling with in the area to use the S66 when it would be stopping anyway to pick up or discharge people who are either going to or coming from either Patchouge or Riverhead.

1. I've read the whole 2009 study and I don't recall any combining of the S90 and S68. I remember them saying about extending the S68 to run more to Center Moriches, but that was it. There would be no need to combine those to routes since the study said about combining the 7D/E and then extending it to Riverhead. IIRC the 2009 suggested either to elimiante the S90 or combine it with the 10D/E and stop running it to Center Moriches.

2. The S74 didn't Serve Stony Brook, nor would the S71 be serving any part of the old S74 except for Smith Point. (The S74 ran up William Floyd Parkway to NYS 25 then to Coram Plaza and finally to Smith Haven Mall) First off its the 6:55 am 7E your talking about and that doesn't even go to Smith Point, so its not really unecessary.

3. There is very little people that use the S66 for travel with in the Mastic-Mastic Beach- and Shirley, and those are mostly people who go to PathMark. But that is because the 7D/E time table isn't very stable, and it wouldn't be better if you combine the two routes (I tried making my own time table of a combine 7D/E and it didn't come out any better then how the routes are now. It's probably why they haven't attempted to combined them. That being said it is still not right to not allow people traveling with in the area to use the S66 when it would be stopping anyway to pick up or discharge people who are either going to or coming from either Patchouge or Riverhead.

1. I've read the whole 2009 study and I don't recall any combining of the S90 and S68. I remember them saying about extending the S68 to run more to Center Moriches, but that was it. There would be no need to combine those to routes since the study said about combining the 7D/E and then extending it to Riverhead. IIRC the 2009 suggested either to elimiante the S90 or combine it with the 10D/E and stop running it to Center Moriches.

2. The S74 didn't Serve Stony Brook, nor would the S71 be serving any part of the old S74 except for Smith Point. (The S74 ran up William Floyd Parkway to NYS 25 then to Coram Plaza and finally to Smith Haven Mall) First off its the 6:55 am 7E your talking about and that doesn't even go to Smith Point, so its not really unecessary.

Just give the 7D/7E hourly headways on the combined routing. It would need 3 or 4 buses, compared from the 2 that currently do the 7D and 7E

The 2009 study mentioned "creating a new Patchogue to Hampton Bays Route", in which would be too costly, so the S68 would subsitute this place. I would also restructure the S66 schedule to make it every 30 minutes with the new S68 Schedule

Page 65 in the study mentions it : http://pdfcast.org/download/sct-bus-proposals-in-2009.pdf

Just give the 7D/7E hourly headways on the combined routing. It would need 3 or 4 buses, compared from the 2 that currently do the 7D and 7E

The 2009 study mentioned "creating a new Patchogue to Hampton Bays Route", in which would be too costly, so the S68 would subsitute this place. I would also restructure the S66 schedule to make it every 30 minutes with the new S68 Schedule

Just drop it 7D/E are a lost cause period they got to go bye bye like MTA bus corp's BXM4 and SEPTA's 19 Want to know what these lines have in common they are USELESS!!!!!!!!!!! Patchouge to hampton bays I have a way to go about it I will post it here soon when I find my book with all my written SCT proposals in complete form.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.0004c02de03265f0ca60a&msa=0&ll=40.852254,-73.117447&spn=0.344867,0.821915

Updates:

S61/S76 Combo

Discontinuation of S90

Extention of S56 to Coram via St.James

Close the 3 hour hour gap on route 347 between Port Jefferson and Smith Haven Mall by extending the two trips after the current last trip to Smith Haven Mall on the S62

Add a 4:30, and a 5:30 PM trip on the S92 from Greenport North To East Hamptons, then go back to Riverhead as 6:50, 7:50, and 8:50 trips from East Hampton, and back as 8:30, and 9:30 trips (one goes on deadhead towards the depot)

Restructure S92 route in Hampton Bays

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.0004c02de03265f0ca60a&msa=0&ll=41.139752,-72.324371&spn=0.085842,0.205479

Summer 1A extention to Jones Beach

Headways would increased from every 30 to every 70 minutes

The 1B , S33, and S1 will be alternatives.

The buses wouldn't arrive back in time for hourly headways and that is when they are both combined. I had the first 'new 7D leave at 7:00 and it didn't arrive back until an hour and five minutes later, and that is without stopping at Smith Point or the East Yaphank Industrial Park.

No offence but if creating a new route would have been to costly, then combining the S68 and S90 would cost nearly the same amount of money. Maybe not directly from the route but from all the changes you would have to make.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.0004c02de03265f0ca60a&msa=0&ll=40.852254,-73.117447&spn=0.344867,0.821915

Updates:

S61/S76 Combo

Discontinuation of S90

Extention of S56 to Coram via St.James

Close the 3 hour hour gap on route 347 between Port Jefferson and Smith Haven Mall by extending the two trips after the current last trip to Smith Haven Mall on the S62

Add a 4:30, and a 5:30 PM trip on the S92 from Greenport North To East Hamptons, then go back to Riverhead as 6:50, 7:50, and 8:50 trips from East Hampton, and back as 8:30, and 9:30 trips (one goes on deadhead towards the depot)

Restructure S92 route in Hampton Bays

There would never be a S76 and S61 combo, in fact that makes no sence. Heck I'd be more agreeable with extending the S57 to Port Jefferson Via Saint James and Stony Brook, like the 2009 study suggested and eliminate the S76 then to combine the S61 and S76.

Extention of the S56 to Coarm, what are you nuts, very little people ride the S56 as it is. Your beeter off running extra buses on the S58 and having them end in Coram or create a whole new route to run betwwen Coarm and Smith Haven Mall.

Have you ever seen 347 during Rush Hour, those buses would never bee on time.

How many times are you gonna bump your map in this thread?

....and wtf @ having 1a's go to Jones Beach of all places....

He's going to do it until everyone believes what all he is saying is right. While some of his ideas make sence, most of them make totally no snece at all.

Suffolk would never ever run any of their buses to Jones Beach.

1.The buses wouldn't arrive back in time for hourly headways and that is when they are both combined. I had the first 'new 7D leave at 7:00 and it didn't arrive back until an hour and five minutes later, and that is without stopping at Smith Point or the East Yaphank Industrial Park.

2.No offence but if creating a new route would have been to costly, then combining the S68 and S90 would cost nearly the same amount of money. Maybe not directly from the route but from all the changes you would have to make.

3. There would never be a S76 and S61 combo, in fact that makes no sence. Heck I'd be more agreeable with extending the S57 to Port Jefferson Via Saint James and Stony Brook, like the 2009 study suggested and eliminate the S76 then to combine the S61 and S76.

4.Extention of the S56 to Coarm, what are you nuts, very little people ride the S56 as it is. Your beeter off running extra buses on the S58 and having them end in Coram or create a whole new route to run betwwen Coarm and Smith Haven Mall.

5.Have you ever seen 347 during Rush Hour, those buses would never bee on time.

6.He's going to do it until everyone believes what all he is saying is right. While some of his ideas make sence, most of them make totally no snece at all.

7.Suffolk would never ever run any of their buses to Jones Beach.

1. The first two buses on the 7D to Yaphank, that won't be too troubling. Well in the case of them not arriving by the hour, make the frequencues every 90 minutes (45 in the morning and PM weekdays only) like the 7E does now. The Smith Point Variant would about 11 minutes to the trip, but it'll still be less than 90 minutes total trip time.

2. The study said create a new route from Parchogue to Hampton Bays, on top of existing S66, S68, S90, and 10D/10E service. That route would at least need 4 buses, which is the amount of buses my S68 uses, but would eliminate the S90, and the 10D/10E in the process. The bus currently used on the S90 would be one and the bus used on the 10D/10E is another. The S68 uses one bus, so another will have to be found. So in reality, one extra bus will be needed. The discontinuation of the S90 and 10D/E portions and the creation of this route would cost, because three extra resources would be needed (fuel, bus, and an extra operator) compared to 4 times of the same thing.

3. Fine, then the S57'll do it. I guess that can boost ridership up on the S57 more.

4. The original study mentioned creating a whole new route as a supplement to the S56 but it was to go to WWM. The S58 would've terminated at Smith Haven Mall. However Im connecting St James, and Smithtown with bus service, and there will be no new route. Probably then the S58 can be shortened to Smithtown Railroad, while the S56 runs to Commack or South Huntington, instead of creating a new route.

5. The thing is those last few buses are deadheads to KO, so Running those buses to Smith Haven can give extra ridership oppurtunities compared to buses deadheading at Mid Route.

6. When have I ever done that. I've never convinced anyone that my proposals are "the proposals". And if someone doesn't like my proposals, well be on with it.

7. That's new to me. I was just wondering if ST buses could go to Jones Beach as a trip generator. If they won't extend it, I won't get mad.

Okay maybe it wasn't the best idea.

My fault if I came off too harsh....

There's nothin wrong with tryna maximize ridership of existing routes - as long as it doesn't inconvenience the current riders of the route too too much.... However, in saying that, you should give a little more consideration to where exactly you'd send these routes.... Yes the jones beach idea was a summer only type of thing (I get that), but how many ppl. in suffolk do you really think would even take a bus to JB to begin with... It's almost like having NICE running buses out to Robert Moses or something.....

My fault if I came off too harsh....

There's nothin wrong with tryna maximize ridership of existing routes - as long as it doesn't inconvenience the current riders of the route too too much.... However, in saying that, you should give a little more consideration to where exactly you'd send these routes.... Yes the jones beach idea was a summer only type of thing (I get that), but how many ppl. in suffolk do you really think would even take a bus to JB to begin with... It's almost like having NICE running buses out to Robert Moses or something.....

I understand.

Well I guess that riders on the current ST system can be surveyed, and then other people.

The buses wouldn't arrive back in time for hourly headways and that is when they are both combined. I had the first 'new 7D leave at 7:00 and it didn't arrive back until an hour and five minutes later, and that is without stopping at Smith Point or the East Yaphank Industrial Park.

No offence but if creating a new route would have been to costly, then combining the S68 and S90 would cost nearly the same amount of money. Maybe not directly from the route but from all the changes you would have to make.

There would never be a S76 and S61 combo, in fact that makes no sence. Heck I'd be more agreeable with extending the S57 to Port Jefferson Via Saint James and Stony Brook, like the 2009 study suggested and eliminate the S76 then to combine the S61 and S76.

Extention of the S56 to Coarm, what are you nuts, very little people ride the S56 as it is. Your beeter off running extra buses on the S58 and having them end in Coram or create a whole new route to run betwwen Coarm and Smith Haven Mall.

Have you ever seen 347 during Rush Hour, those buses would never bee on time.

He's going to do it until everyone believes what all he is saying is right. While some of his ideas make sence, most of them make totally no snece at all.

Suffolk would never ever run any of their buses to Jones Beach.

One of the reasons for 347 traffic is that there is barely any usable bus service on it at allyou don't run like complete shit and complain about lack of ridership expecting people to use said inconvenient service. S56 is lightly used huh I had a feeling that was the case. It may be better to have S57 via smithtown blvd and via LIRR replace S56 to kings point then go to that VA center. Let S59 deal with smith haven. Better links to S58 and LIRR sort of then you can kill off S56.

Okay maybe it wasn't the best idea.

I give you credit there aren't many places to send 1A I'd turn it into  LIRR shuttle and kill off offpeak service while boosting rush hour service to meet peak trains it will become a deviated flex service then merge with 1B. It will become the LIRR amittyville trainlink.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

One of the reasons for 347 traffic is that there is barely any usable bus service on it at allyou don't run like complete shit and complain about lack of ridership expecting people to use said inconvenient service. S56 is lightly used huh I had a feeling that was the case. It may be better to have S57 via smithtown blvd and via LIRR replace S56 to kings point then go to that VA center. Let S59 deal with smith haven. Better links to S58 and LIRR sort of then you can kill off S56.

I give you credit there aren't many places to send 1A I'd turn it into LIRR shuttle and kill off offpeak service while boosting rush hour service to meet peak trains it will become a deviated flex service then merge with 1B. It will become the LIRR amittyville trainlink.

Well I had the 1B go to Amityville and combined with the S35 (the routing is on the first page if my map) except for the Tanner Park Trips where they serve the senior citizen center (those would still go down via Great Neck Road). As for the 1A, if you schedule it to the train at ALL Times, then you can have potential ridership, as long as you advertise it correctly. You can then run later trips if possible on the 1A.

1. The first two buses on the 7D to Yaphank, that won't be too troubling. Well in the case of them not arriving by the hour, make the frequencues every 90 minutes (45 in the morning and PM weekdays only) like the 7E does now. The Smith Point Variant would about 11 minutes to the trip, but it'll still be less than 90 minutes total trip time.

2. The study said create a new route from Parchogue to Hampton Bays, on top of existing S66, S68, S90, and 10D/10E service. That route would at least need 4 buses, which is the amount of buses my S68 uses, but would eliminate the S90, and the 10D/10E in the process. The bus currently used on the S90 would be one and the bus used on the 10D/10E is another. The S68 uses one bus, so another will have to be found. So in reality, one extra bus will be needed. The discontinuation of the S90 and 10D/E portions and the creation of this route would cost, because three extra resources would be needed (fuel, bus, and an extra operator) compared to 4 times of the same thing.

3. Fine, then the S57'll do it. I guess that can boost ridership up on the S57 more.

4. The original study mentioned creating a whole new route as a supplement to the S56 but it was to go to WWM. The S58 would've terminated at Smith Haven Mall. However Im connecting St James, and Smithtown with bus service, and there will be no new route. Probably then the S58 can be shortened to Smithtown Railroad, while the S56 runs to Commack or South Huntington, instead of creating a new route.

5. The thing is those last few buses are deadheads to KO, so Running those buses to Smith Haven can give extra ridership oppurtunities compared to buses deadheading at Mid Route.

6. When have I ever done that. I've never convinced anyone that my proposals are "the proposals". And if someone doesn't like my proposals, well be on with it.

7. That's new to me. I was just wondering if ST buses could go to Jones Beach as a trip generator. If they won't extend it, I won't get mad.

2. Well however that route would be written, the route wouldn't be created. Even your way the route wouldn't be created because you would need an extra bus or two, something that Suffolk doesn't have nor can presently afford, but because you would be combining routes that or operated by two diffrent companies and as the companies showed in the past, they are very territail of their routes. (The current assignment of routes only came about partly because of a sttelment of a lawsuit all the operators, including two that are no longer operators, filed against the county in the late 90's which had to do with the ownership of the routes). The 2009 Study wouldn't be made because it would be sending two many routes over nearly the same strtch of area. The S66, Extended 7D, and the combine route.

4. The study called for the new route to take over the Smith Haven Mall to East Northport section of the S58 and then continue on to Walt Whitman Mall, it wasn't meant to supplement the S56.

5. You are aware that the S62 schudule was created back when the company that ran it was in Coram, you can't change a routes schudule just because where it is based out of changed. By that logic the first two S62 runs shouldstart out of the mall instead of Port Jefferson Station.

7. I never said you would get mad about that, I just said that Suffolk wouldn't do it.

I give you credit there aren't many places to send 1A I'd turn it into  LIRR shuttle and kill off offpeak service while boosting rush hour service to meet peak trains it will become a deviated flex service then merge with 1B. It will become the LIRR amittyville trainlink.

The reason that 347 is horrible has nothing to do with a lack of usable bus service. 347 is horrible because there are two few lanes, a problem that they are only now rectifing. As proof all buses are banned from stopping west of Nichol's road on Westbound trips.

The S56 has always had low ridership, which is why they had, until the buses got to old to be used everyday, they assigned 30 foot Gilligs to the route. The S56 can't be cut happily because it does serve some type of complex (I'm not sure if it is a senior complex or not.) that doesn't have any other way to get to at least the Commack Shopping Center.

Edited by mac5689