SCT Proposals 2012-2013 Thread

One question: In this report, on page 40, it mentions that they want to shorten the route slightly so its terminal is in Patchogue. Where did it run to before then?

I think one of the routes ending at Patchogue should be extended a little bit further south within Patchogue. The path would be via Ocean Avenue & Smith Street, ending at Grove Avenue.

I think the S57 should be streamlined, by having the 6A extended to the Colony Park Apartments. It would travel via Johnson-Lakeland-Peconic-13th Avenue-Veterans Memorial Highway, and then terminate at the Suffolk County Department of Social Services building. Then it would go back up 5th Avenue and then take Peconic-Lakeland-Johnson back to the Ronkonkoma station. This would benefit riders going from the apartments to the train station by having them take a more direct route (they wouldn't have to go through the airport), and would also benefit S57 riders because they wouldn't have to go through the apartments.

If riders on the Bellport branch of the 7B aren't really going to Patchogue, I think that portion should be renamed something else (maybe 7C), and go straight up Bellport Avenue, go through Gordon Heights, and then end at Coram Plaza, providing Gordon Heights with north-south service.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One question: In this report, on page 40, it mentions that they want to shorten the route slightly so its terminal is in Patchogue. Where did it run to before then?

I think one of the routes ending at Patchogue should be extended a little bit further south within Patchogue. The path would be via Ocean Avenue & Smith Street, ending at Grove Avenue.

I think the S57 should be streamlined, by having the 6A extended to the Colony Park Apartments. It would travel via Johnson-Lakeland-Peconic-13th Avenue-Veterans Memorial Highway, and then terminate at the Suffolk County Department of Social Services building. Then it would go back up 5th Avenue and then take Peconic-Lakeland-Johnson back to the Ronkonkoma station. This would benefit riders going from the apartments to the train station by having them take a more direct route (they wouldn't have to go through the airport), and would also benefit S57 riders because they wouldn't have to go through the apartments.

If riders on the Bellport branch of the 7B aren't really going to Patchogue, I think that portion should be renamed something else (maybe 7C), and go straight up Bellport Avenue, go through Gordon Heights, and then end at Coram Plaza, providing Gordon Heights with north-south service.

Good want me to show you my notes about those lines? I made similar ones but Haven't yet sent it to SCT.

About the S63, the current southern terminus is at Patchogue LIRR. I know what they want to do, and it's not a good move on their part. There is a bus terminal north of the station that is practically hidden. It's near some building, but thats where the buses terminate. SCT probably wants to shorten the route because it's usage south of the bus terminal is not the best, leaving riders with the S54 and S61 as the only option from the bus terminal to the LIRR station. Instead of cutting bus routes to that bus terminal, they should extend more Routes to the LIRR Station, because there is yet another bus terminal at the Patchogue RR Station (which is where the S54, S61, 7A, and 7B terminate). That time I was going to take the 10:30AM S66 when I was going to fan SCT, I missed it because I couldnt find where the S66 stopped, even though there is a terminal at the Patchogue RR. Not to Mention the train was delayed, so connecting in 10 minutes wasnt easy. I found a second bus terminal, and by that time I didnt see any bus, meaning the S66 left. To sum it up , there should be ONE BUS TERMINAL, NOT TWO BUS TERMINALS in Patchogue.

Another idea I have would be to have the S62 serve SUNY Stony Brook. It would follow the S60 route but stop at the LIRR station, then down Nicholl's back to 347. The section in Port Jeff would be eliminated and the S62 would go straight on 347, PJ riders can transfer from the 60,61, and even the 5A (in Rocky Pt). This would provide another bus for the busy SUNY-Smith Haven corridor, and give SUNY students another easier option for shopping trips in Riverhead. All 62's would run to Smith Haven, no more runs that end in Port Jeff as the route will skip this area.

A big plus since now I could take the LIRR to Stony Brook and get the S62 there, avoiding the ghetto area Port Jeff now is (and most ppl are starting to avoid).

Pros-new options, no port jeff

Cons-traffic at SUNY could prove to cause significant delays to 62 service

According to drivers the 60s are getting hammered between the mall and Stony Brook so there needs to be another bus in that corridor besides just the 3D.

Edited by PinePower

About the S63, the current southern terminus is at Patchogue LIRR. I know what they want to do, and it's not a good move on their part. There is a bus terminal north of the station that is practically hidden. It's near some building, but thats where the buses terminate. SCT probably wants to shorten the route because it's usage south of the bus terminal is not the best, leaving riders with the S54 and S61 as the only option from the bus terminal to the LIRR station. Instead of cutting bus routes to that bus terminal, they should extend more Routes to the LIRR Station, because there is yet another bus terminal at the Patchogue RR Station (which is where the S54, S61, 7A, and 7B terminate). That time I was going to take the 10:30AM S66 when I was going to fan SCT, I missed it because I couldnt find where the S66 stopped, even though there is a terminal at the Patchogue RR. Not to Mention the train was delayed, so connecting in 10 minutes wasnt easy. I found a second bus terminal, and by that time I didnt see any bus, meaning the S66 left. To sum it up , there should be ONE BUS TERMINAL, NOT TWO BUS TERMINALS in Patchogue.

I agree. I remember looking for the S66 when I needed to transfer from the 7A and had some trouble finding it and almost missed it! All buses in Patchogue should serve the LIRR station.

You don't have a bus bypass an area just because it's ghetto (I highly doubt PJS is ghetto anyway). If you live too far west of Terryville Road, then you don't have the option of the S60. So you'd be leaving 347 between Terryville Road & Wireless Road without any service, and west of Wireless Road, you have to deal with the infrequent S71 and backtrack to Stony Brook if you need S62 service.

Aside from that, you slow down the trip for riders traveling between Smith Haven/Hauppauge & areas east of PJS because they'd have to take a roundabout route through Stony Brook instead of a straight route down 347.

If you want to provide extra service for Stony Brook students, you can just run more S60 service between PJS & Smith Haven. That way you reduce overcrowding between Stony Brook & Smith Haven, and provide extra service for riders wishing to connect to the S62 to Riverhead. Better yet, you can extend the 5A to Smith Haven (via the S60 route) to try and boost ridership a little bit and provide the extra service.

You don't have a bus bypass an area just because it's ghetto (I highly doubt PJS is ghetto anyway). If you live too far west of Terryville Road, then you don't have the option of the S60. So you'd be leaving 347 between Terryville Road & Wireless Road without any service, and west of Wireless Road, you have to deal with the infrequent S71 and backtrack to Stony Brook if you need S62 service.

Aside from that, you slow down the trip for riders traveling between Smith Haven/Hauppauge & areas east of PJS because they'd have to take a roundabout route through Stony Brook instead of a straight route down 347.

If you want to provide extra service for Stony Brook students, you can just run more S60 service between PJS & Smith Haven. That way you reduce overcrowding between Stony Brook & Smith Haven, and provide extra service for riders wishing to connect to the S62 to Riverhead. Better yet, you can extend the 5A to Smith Haven (via the S60 route) to try and boost ridership a little bit and provide the extra service.

Exactly, just because its ghetto doesn't mean you have to bypass it. Same argument can be made for the B8 and B35 that terminate in Brownsville and all the buses terminating in Bed-Stuy.

Well, I think the idea here issn't about terminating in the ghetto (or else you'd have to cut back every single route from Hempstead), but about bypassing it in the middle of the route. (The difference is that if the terminal is in the ghetto, somebody getting on in a "good" neighborhood can avoid it by not riding it out to the last stop, whereas if you're passing through in the middle of the route it's harder to avoid)

But either way, you get the point that the routings shouldn't be determined by which areas are "ghetto" or not.

Another idea I have would be to have the S62 serve SUNY Stony Brook. It would follow the S60 route but stop at the LIRR station, then down Nicholl's back to 347. The section in Port Jeff would be eliminated and the S62 would go straight on 347, PJ riders can transfer from the 60,61, and even the 5A (in Rocky Pt). This would provide another bus for the busy SUNY-Smith Haven corridor, and give SUNY students another easier option for shopping trips in Riverhead. All 62's would run to Smith Haven, no more runs that end in Port Jeff as the route will skip this area.

A big plus since now I could take the LIRR to Stony Brook and get the S62 there, avoiding the ghetto area Port Jeff now is (and most ppl are starting to avoid).

Pros-new options, no port jeff

Cons-traffic at SUNY could prove to cause significant delays to 62 service

According to drivers the 60s are getting hammered between the mall and Stony Brook so there needs to be another bus in that corridor besides just the 3D.

62 to stony brook? This is a joke, right......

Dude, just be up front about it.... You want the 62 to serve LIRR Stony Brook instead of LIRR Pt. Jefferson so you won't have to wait around Pt. jefferson station due to the hispanics out there..... Yeah yeah, because the area around Stony Brook RR is *safer*..... I know the level of disdain you have for the area around Pt Jeff RR, and you've expressed it in quite a bit of posts & videos.... You are fooling nobody....

- SUNY Stony Brook students riding up to riverhead to shop, yeah okay.... Do you realize how many of those kids DRIVE?? Anyway, why do you think the 3d is weak b/w stony brook & smith haven.... and you want to send the 62 up to stony brook from smith haven.... good grief....

- 62 covers way too much territory.... and you wanna make matters worse by having that route endure the same areas the 60's getting "slammed" at.... having 62's continue on 347 from 25 (avoiding LIRR Pt. Jeff.) saves about what, 5-7 minutes..... Having 62's follow the 60 from smith haven, but running up to the RR station, then back down nicolls to 347 would take longer than that without a doubt - I'm willing to bet about 15 mins on the low end (from the time it leaves smith haven til it'd hit nicolls/347)... Basically you'd add about 10 mins of runtime to the 62, which is significant....

Disgusting how you want to prolong the 62 for your own selfish reasons....

Edited by B35 via Church

About the S63, the current southern terminus is at Patchogue LIRR. I know what they want to do, and it's not a good move on their part. There is a bus terminal north of the station that is practically hidden. It's near some building, but thats where the buses terminate. SCT probably wants to shorten the route because it's usage south of the bus terminal is not the best, leaving riders with the S54 and S61 as the only option from the bus terminal to the LIRR station. Instead of cutting bus routes to that bus terminal, they should extend more Routes to the LIRR Station, because there is yet another bus terminal at the Patchogue RR Station (which is where the S54, S61, 7A, and 7B terminate).....

.....To sum it up , there should be ONE BUS TERMINAL, NOT TWO BUS TERMINALS in Patchogue.

That "building" is the district courthouse, and it isn't exactly what I'd call "hidden"....

Personally, only routes I think should end at Patchogue RR itself is the 7a & 7b... That's it.

Riders from other routes all empty out at the district courthouse stop anyway to xfer to other routes.... I agree ideally that there should only be one terminal in the general vicinity (with it being the one behind the courthouse), but the problem is that parking lot aint big enough to have all the routes end inside there....

All buses in Patchogue should serve the LIRR station.

Eh, I don't agree that they all should.... The people on the buses coming from other areas are widely seeking to xfer to connecting buses, not trying to catch the RR.... Hate to say this, but there is a stark contrast to the folks that ride SCT & those that ride the RR.....

Dude, just be up front about it.... You want the 62 to serve LIRR Stony Brook instead of LIRR Pt. Jefferson so you won't have to wait around Pt. jefferson station due to the hispanics out there..... Yeah yeah, because the area around Stony Brook RR is *safer*..... I know the level of disdain you have for the area around Pt Jeff RR, and you've expressed it in quite a bit of posts & videos.... You are fooling nobody....

This.

- SUNY Stony Brook students riding up to riverhead to shop, yeah okay.... Do you realize how many of those kids DRIVE?? Anyway, why do you think the 3d is weak b/w stony brook & smith haven.... and you want to send the 62 up to stony brook from smith haven.... good grief....

How is S60 usage in that area then? (For that matter, how's usage in general for the Stony Brook routes)? I guess since I mentioned the 5A, do you think combining it with the S76 would boost the ridership in Rocky Point, since it would connect to Stony Brook & "Downtown" Port Jefferson?

- 62 covers way too much territory.... and you wanna make matters worse by having that route endure the same areas the 60's getting "slammed" at.... having 62's continue on 347 from 25 (avoiding LIRR Pt. Jeff.) saves about what, 7-10 minutes..... Having buses run between 347 & Stony Brook RR would take longer than that without a doubt.... I'm willing to bet at least 15-20 minutes.... basically you'd add about 10 mins of runtime to the 62....

I wasn't really getting the route it would take. Would buses take North Country Road to Main Street (in other words, if somebody wanted to transfer from the LIRR at Port Jefferson, they would only have to walk a couple of blocks to reach his "new" S62)?

Eh, I don't agree that they all should.... The people on the buses coming from other areas are widely seeking to xfer to connecting buses, not trying to catch the RR.... Hate to say this, but there is a stark contrast to the folks that ride SCT & those that ride the RR.....

Even for those traveling within LI (those not going to Manhattan)?

Port Jefferson station is far from ghetto.... Although I'm not going to lie & say that the area's safer than most parts of suffolk, b/c it isn't... It is somewhat shady, but nothing you'd have to be in fear for your life from.... I don't mind walking around & about the area.... Shit, New Cassel along the N22 is far more "seedy" than pt. jefferson station....

I take it that you checked the S71 schedule.... I can tell you from experience that route is unreliable... I had an assignment out in stony brook a couple years back... 3d's would arrive @ stony brook almost like clockwork; the 71 came when it wanted (lol).... Sometimes during the middle of the day, I would have to ride out to holtsville from the college (stony brook), and let me tell you, that was no fun waiting for that bus.... From end to end, there's simply too many turns & mid-route diversions on the 71; which delays it.... Sad too, b/c quite a bit of ppl. rely on that route @ the RR station & @ the hospital.....

He's one of these guys that takes the 62 b/w riverhead & smith haven when he goes out to them parks or whatever.... this is how I know his suggestion is agenda driven & not for the benefit of the riders overall.....

I read his suggestion & came to the same exact conclusion you did.... They DO neef to beef up S60 service (at least to the tune of an extra bus during peak times on the weekday & midday saturdays); he is right about how packed 60's get b/w pt. jefferson & smith haven.... Instead, he wants the 62 to run up there.... I thought it might have been a joke or something.... I mean, No routes need to be changed around in that area.....

I don't know what can be done to help the 5a though.... if you see 5 riders on that thing at any one point during the day, it did good...

That "building" is the district courthouse, and it isn't exactly what I'd call "hidden"....

Personally, only routes I think should end at Patchogue RR itself is the 7a & 7b... That's it.

Riders from other routes all empty out at the district courthouse stop anyway to xfer to other routes.... I agree ideally that there should only be one terminal in the general vicinity (with it being the one behind the courthouse), but the problem is that parking lot aint big enough to have all the routes end inside there....

You do have a Point. Barely anyone connects to the LIRR unless they are going to the city or for whatever reason.

Port Jefferson station is far from ghetto.... Although I'm not going to lie & say that the area's safer than most parts of suffolk, b/c it isn't... It is somewhat shady, but nothing you'd have to be in fear for your life from.... I don't mind walking around & about the area.... Shit, New Cassel along the N22 is far more "seedy" than pt. jefferson station....

I take it that you checked the S71 schedule.... I can tell you from experience that route is unreliable... I had an assignment out in stony brook a couple years back... 3d's would arrive @ stony brook almost like clockwork; the 71 came when it wanted (lol).... Sometimes during the middle of the day, I would have to ride out to holtsville from the college (stony brook), and let me tell you, that was no fun waiting for that bus.... From end to end, there's simply too many turns & mid-route diversions on the 71; which delays it.... Sad too, b/c quite a bit of ppl. rely on that route @ the RR station & @ the hospital.....

He's one of these guys that takes the 62 b/w riverhead & smith haven when he goes out to them parks or whatever.... this is how I know his suggestion is agenda driven & not for the benefit of the riders overall.....

I read his suggestion & came to the same exact conclusion you did.... They DO neef to beef up S60 service (at least to the tune of an extra bus during peak times on the weekday & midday saturdays); he is right about how packed 60's get b/w pt. jefferson & smith haven.... Instead, he wants the 62 to run up there.... I thought it might have been a joke or something.... I mean, No routes need to be changed around in that area.....

I don't know what can be done to help the 5a though.... if you see 5 riders on that thing at any one point during the day, it did good...

Actually, for the S71, the first thing I thought of was your post a while back when you said it was unreliable and came whenever it wants. I think you mentioned how at SCCC, you would usually see 6As & 6Bs before everything else (in that same post). I have the memory of an elephant. LOL.

I actually didn't look at the schedule, but from the way the route meanders and everything, and the way it doesn't serve any particularly major corridors, I figured it probably runs less than hourly.

And yeah, well he said it right in the post: "I could take the LIRR to Stony Brook and get the S62 there".

In any case, why does the the 3D see weak usage north of Smith Haven, while the S60 doesn't? Or is it just that the 3D starts out empty while the S60 has the crowds that came from Gordon Heights, Port Jefferson, etc?

You do have a Point. Barely anyone connects to the LIRR unless they are going to the city or for whatever reason.

WRONG that move would only hurt ridership and make the stigma worse. ALL patchouge lines should be at LIRR AND TIMED with LIRR too. That bus terminal should simply be at LIRR. That logic made me miss S58 @ smithtown RR suffolk needs all the LIRR connections it can get. THERE IS ZERO excuse for SCT's embarrasing ridership especially when their county is served by the largest commuter rail in the nation by ridership the buses shoild focus on attracting LIRR riders or continue with embarrasingly low ridership.

I like your questions... you make me think a little...

How is S60 usage in that area then? (For that matter, how's usage in general for the Stony Brook routes)?

I guess since I mentioned the 5A, do you think combining it with the S76 would boost the ridership in Rocky Point, since it would connect to Stony Brook & "Downtown" Port Jefferson?

- S60 is pretty much a horse from end to end.... it gets good (well, good for SCT standards, of course) usage in gordon hgts, coram, pt jefferson station, so-so usage in see-tauket & w/i stony brook it gets good usage from the college kids & hospital goers.... FWIW though, when it hits stony brook rd, it's pretty much a straight run to the mall (smith haven)..... not too much usage along stony brook rd. itself.... Heading back towards gordon hgts (depending on time of day), S60's can get to the point where it's SRO; with everyone sitting and at least 5 ppl. or so standing..... I remember a few times that happened on the 60's I took out of smith haven....

- S76 is a little "neighborhoody" type route.... Haven't really seen it much, so I don't know how well it's used towards the village (stony brook village)... I've only seen it about 2 or 3 times total while waiting for other buses (at different instances/on different fantrips) @ the shopping plaza (last stop of the 76)... Even when I had to head out to stony brook years ago, I wouldn't see the 76....

- don't know about the ridership levels of the night loop (69) at all...

- already told you about the 71& the 3D in the area, in my last post in this thread....

- combining the 5a & the 76, haven't really thought about that...

I already know what the 5a is (in terms of usage); I have to ride the 76 more to see if that would be a viable idea.... I don't have a clue as to what rocky pt. & sound beach ppl. want (in terms of demand).....

I wasn't really getting the route it would take. Would buses take North Country Road to Main Street (in other words, if somebody wanted to transfer from the LIRR at Port Jefferson, they would only have to walk a couple of blocks to reach his "new" S62)?

From smith haven, etc..... I'm assuming stony brook (rd), south dr, marborough, circle rd to the RR station... and then down circle rd to one of the entrance roads that spills back onto nicolls rd.... the S71 & 3d travels along south dr coming from the east, to use marburger & circle rd to get to the RR station.... his 62 would be traveling along south dr coming from the west.....

Having buses use stony brook rd to north country rd would be even more stupid, as it would eat up mileage w/o picking up much of anyone..... Only the 76 runs along north country rd up there (on the other side of the RR tracks).....

- Yup... You don't see anyone coming off the S40 or the S66/68 walking down towards the RR station.... Those 3 routes end right inside the parking lot & do not travel south towards the RR station....

- People coming off the 54 from the north, get off on the corner of west/south (buses let ppl. off after it turns on south st)... they cross south st to get to connecting buses (which is nothing short of filthy over there by those bus shelters; the ones opposite south st or the ones inside the parking lot of the courthouse)..... You'd be hard pressed to see one person riding out to the RR on the 54...... What I will say though is, you do see maybe a handful of ppl. waiting for 54's over there along division st.... How many of those folks are ppl. coming off the RR, I can't say w/ certainty (if you want my opinion, I think it's none), but I personally think those are residents of the area.....

- 61 over there by the RR is similar to the 54... you'll see a handful of ppl waiting for that bus by the RR station too....

I don't know how many ppl. actually ride out to the rr (patchogue) on the 61 coming from the north though.....

- From what I gather, 63 usage to/within patchogue is rather weak.... you'll actually see more ppl waiting for 7a's/7b's by the RR station over the amt. of folks waiting for the 63....

I have yet to see anyone walking/running from the platform to catch the bus (whether it's for the 54, 61, 63, or the 7a/b)....

WRONG that move would only hurt ridership and make the stigma worse. ALL patchouge lines should be at LIRR AND TIMED with LIRR too. That bus terminal should simply be at LIRR. That logic made me miss S58 @ smithtown RR suffolk needs all the LIRR connections it can get. THERE IS ZERO excuse for SCT's embarrasing ridership especially when their county is served by the largest commuter rail in the nation by ridership the buses shoild focus on attracting LIRR riders or continue with embarrasingly low ridership.

Yes, they should be timed, but only at major places. The Problem with Patchogue Is that there is one stop with a bus shelter for the 7A and 7B, as well for the S54 (usually drivers just drive into the parking lot) and the S61/S63 dont have an official bus stop at the Patchgue LIRR for drop-off, so hence it just drops them off at the station entrance and relay at the parking lot. Making the rest of the buses go there means the bus stops would have to be more spread out and have a pick-up and drop-off area, not inside the Parking Lot. Besides Car Owners would be pissed if there is less parking space at the Patchogue LIRR Station just to make way for a bus terminal, but there is a part of the parking lot that no one really parks there.

Actually, for the S71, the first thing I thought of was your post a while back when you said it was unreliable and came whenever it wants. I think you mentioned how at SCCC, you would usually see 6As & 6Bs before everything else (in that same post). I have the memory of an elephant. LOL......

...In any case, why does the the 3D see weak usage north of Smith Haven, while the S60 doesn't?

Or is it just that the 3D starts out empty while the S60 has the crowds that came from Gordon Heights, Port Jefferson, etc?

- You just answered your own question, regarding the 3D.... no one's really tryna get to stony brook RR from smith haven like that... whereas many people live along the 60 as you're heading towards pt. jefferson & points south... past smith haven & 347, the 3d runs up nicolls rd (which is basically a hwy; CR 97)... it goes on to serve the hospital & parts of the college before ending at the rr station.... That, and nicolls rd is farther away from smith haven than stony brook rd is..... You'd think usage would be interchangable up there b/w the 60 & 3d b/w the hospital & smith haven, but it really isn't....

- Ok, so you remembered what I said about bus service @ suffolk county cc....

It should encourage ppl. taking the rail to the bus, but it won't....

Having all the patchogue routes end by the RR station won't boost ridership on the buses.....

You can rant & post in caps as much as you'd like.....

Yes, they should be timed, but only at major places. The Problem with Patchogue Is that there is one stop with a bus shelter for the 7A and 7B, as well for the S54 (usually drivers just drive into the parking lot) and the S61/S63 dont have an official bus stop at the Patchgue LIRR for drop-off, so hence it just drops them off at the station entrance and relay at the parking lot.

Making the rest of the buses go there means the bus stops would have to be more spread out and have a pick-up and drop-off area, not inside the Parking Lot. Besides Car Owners would be pissed if there is less parking space at the Patchogue LIRR Station just to make way for a bus terminal, but there is a part of the parking lot that no one really parks there.

Yeah, exactly.... Forget about having all those buses enter patchogue RR... it isn't like, say, babylon RR where the space exists to have all those buses enter the RR parking lot.... lol, Most ppl. don't park on the more western side of the lot @ patchogue.....

The 63 stops where the 7a/b does (in front the shelter).... the 54 & the 61 picks-up a few feet in front of it....

Edited by B35 via Church

62 to stony brook? This is a joke, right......

- 62 covers way too much territory.... and you wanna make matters worse by having that route endure the same areas the 60's getting "slammed" at.... having 62's continue on 347 from 25 (avoiding LIRR Pt. Jeff.) saves about what, 5-7 minutes..... Having 62's follow the 60 from smith haven, but running up to the RR station, then back down nicolls to 347 would take longer than that without a doubt - I'm willing to bet about 15 mins on the low end (from the time it leaves smith haven til it'd hit nicolls/347)... Basically you'd add about 10 mins of runtime to the 62, which is significant....

Disgusting how you want to prolong the 62 for your own selfish reasons....

Problem is the 60 needs help. If so many SUNY students have cars, why are 60s getting crush loaded between the mall and Stony Brook? Many dont have cars and use the bus to get to the mall. I've been told the 60s get crush loaded and Suffolk Bus often has to call up anyone running off to pick up those left behind!

Having the 62 serve Stony Brook would help out the 60 and give SUNY students more options. It would get more riders on the S62. I took away Port Jeff because its already served by 4 other routes, the S60,S61,S76,and 5A. And having the 62 go to both Port Jeff and Stony Brook would cause too many delays.

OK so lets scratch changing the 62, how would you help out the situation on the S60? Should the S56 go down 25a instead of 25 and serve ST James, Stony Brook, and then Smith Haven?

I was also going to mention if the S62 went to Stony Brook it would no longer serve Happaugue and I would extend the S33 to Smith Haven Mall via 347, so one bus would connect the hubs at Sunrise Mall and Smith Haven Mall. I'm just saying everybody seems to underestimate just how many SUNY Stony Brook students dont own cars. There needs to be more bus lines that serve the campus, and that connect it to hubs in Lake Grove and Riverhead. If some of my suggestions seem too complicated, then here's a simple idea, extend the S57 or S59 to SUNY Stony Brook.

This.

How is S60 usage in that area then? (For that matter, how's usage in general for the Stony Brook routes)? I guess since I mentioned the 5A, do you think combining it with the S76 would boost the ridership in Rocky Point, since it would connect to Stony Brook & "Downtown" Port Jefferson?

S60 usage between Stony Brook and the mall is very heavy. Its lighter (but not empty) toward Port Jefferson. S62 usage is heaviest between Smith Haven and Rocky Point. The 5A carries air. The 5A and S76 being combined may not be a bad idea, but it needs to go to the mall to help out the 60. It can loop in Stony Brook village like it normally does but then send it down Stony Brook Rd. SUNY students could use it from 25a which runs right by the college (which is on the other side of the tracks). This would get more people on the 5A/S76 (renamed to just S76) since it goes to the mall and Stony Brook. Scheduling should connect with the S62 so ppl can get between SUNY Stony Brook and Riverhead more easily. Definately better than my S62 Stony Brook idea... :wacko:

I know my original idea was crazy. :wacko:

Yes the S71 is probably the least on time of all ST routes after the S92. Many diversions. I often hear them running 45 minutes late. But the main thing is the 60 needs help and the 76 doesn't really do much to help since it only runs between SB Village and Port Jeff.

Problem is the 60 needs help. If so many SUNY students have cars, why are 60s getting crush loaded between the mall and Stony Brook? Many dont have cars and use the bus to get to the mall. I've been told the 60s get crush loaded and Suffolk Bus often has to call up anyone running off to pick up those left behind!

Having the 62 serve Stony Brook would help out the 60 and give SUNY students more options. It would get more riders on the S62. I took away Port Jeff because its already served by 4 other routes, the S60,S61,S76,and 5A. And having the 62 go to both Port Jeff and Stony Brook would cause too many delays.

OK so lets scratch changing the 62, how would you help out the situation on the S60?

Should the S56 go down 25a instead of 25 and serve ST James, Stony Brook, and then Smith Haven?

I was also going to mention if the S62 went to Stony Brook it would no longer serve Happaugue and I would extend the S33 to Smith Haven Mall via 347, so one bus would connect the hubs at Sunrise Mall and Smith Haven Mall. I'm just saying everybody seems to underestimate just how many SUNY Stony Brook students dont own cars. There needs to be more bus lines that serve the campus, and that connect it to hubs in Lake Grove and Riverhead. If some of my suggestions seem too complicated, then here's a simple idea, extend the S57 or S59 to SUNY Stony Brook.

Because they opt to take the 60 instead of the 3D!

You are not gonna sit here & try to convey that the bulk of the crowding on the 60 is due to Stony Brook kids - That is a crock....

You do not need a 3rd bus route running b/w the college & smith haven.... You help out the 60 by putting more buses on the 60....

Who said anything about having the 62 serving both pt jeff & stony brook... That's not a concern of mine b/c I'm not the one suggesting 62's go to stony brook to begin with.... I'm not saying the 62 to stony brook wouldn't be useful; I'm saying it would be a detriment to make the 62 any longer than it is.... Damn thing runs all the way out to riverhead from smith haven, and you want to divert that up to stony brook.... You of all people that actually take the 62 should know better.... It has nothin to do with the suggestion being complicated......

Of the suggestions you made in this particular post, yeah, extending the 56 to help out the 60 is the better bet... I would still throw more buses on the 60 before doing that though.... I would not bother extending the 57 or the 59; leave that ending at smith haven....

The amount of students that attend stony brook that drive (or have someone drive them to/from there), I'm not gonna argue with you about.... There is no underestimation of the students that don't own cars on my end.... But on the same token, I'm not gonna sit here & make like SUNY Stony Brook is this major ridership generator for the buses that serve it... More bus lines to serve the campus, you can go somewhere with that.... You're always gonna have a certain number of folks that take public transportation to get to the college.....