What is your least favourite LIRR/MNRR station?

Vistausss

ENY station is the poster child for urban decay, without a doubt!!!

Honorable mention should go to Penn Station, just because of the huge (at times unsafe) crowds.

Penn is one of if not the safest station in the system ,coming and going to work at all times of the day when I was at WSY there was always a huge police presence there. Despite the locals down there who know to keep moving.

Penn station. How do they put the platform departure for trains 5 min before their scheduled departures causing people to run for their trains. Atlantic Terminal has trains shown well before their departure times, why can't penn?

Penn station. How do they put the platform departure for trains 5 min before their scheduled departures causing people to run for their trains. Atlantic Terminal has trains shown well before their departure times, why can't penn?

The trains themselves don't originate in NYP, they originate in West Side Yard where's Atlantic Terminal they leave the train in the station between trips.

The amount of traffic coming into Penn and leaving Penn is enormous. Station masters have very little time to decide where the trains coming in Penn and leaving Penn plus the trains originating from WSY what track to station at. Plus the fact not every train leaving the yard stops at Penn.

Massapequa/Wantagh/Kew Gardens because they are falling apart

I have to agree with you there. Wantagh, Massapequa, Massapequa Park, Lindenhurst, they look really bad.

• 3 months later...

LIRR: Hmm...

I think I'm gonna go with Mets-Willets Point. The Mets fans got a shiny new stadium. Why not a shiny new station, too? That thing is an eyesore. Hell, at least some benches for the Mets fans to sit while blowing off some steam after seeing their favorite team lose. Thankfully, it's all a blur during the offseason.

*Side Note* I think the situation at NYP could be alleviated if the station masters assigned a platform to each branch so they're not scrambling to assign it a track at the last moment and thus eliminating the passenger scramble when they finally do announce the platform since everyone knows where their train will be.

Now for the MNRR... (I don't ride the MNRR much these days so I'm kinda reaching here)

Ossining. Another eyesore.

As much as I hate to say it, it would have to be New York Penn Station....it's an operational nightmare...and an underground catacomb. There is NO REASON why the BUSIEST TRAIN STATION in North America, should be sitting in the basement of Madison Square Garden with no sort of significant above ground Landmark, open-air concourse and station building. The fact that it has one track in and one track out on the Hudson (NJT/Amtrak Side) irks the hell out of me and the fact that the slightest switching problem can destroy the on-time performance of all three railroads is another pet peeve of mine. To me, New York Penn Station is a poster boy of how little we value public transportation and rail infrastructure in this country.

As for Metro-North, I don't think I have a least favorite station for them, I've rode all of their line except the New Haven Branches and haven't seen anything that looks unacceptable. Spring Valley on the PVL looks like it could use a little sprucing up but thats about it. I also may be slightly bias because in my opinion, their one of the best, if not the best commuter railroad operating in North America right now.

As much as I hate to say it, it would have to be New York Penn Station....it's an operational nightmare...and an underground catacomb. There is NO REASON why the BUSIEST TRAIN STATION in North America, should be sitting in the basement of Madison Square Garden with no sort of significant above ground Landmark, open-air concourse and station building. The fact that it has one track in and one track out on the Hudson (NJT/Amtrak Side) irks the hell out of me and the fact that the slightest switching problem can destroy the on-time performance of all three railroads is another pet peeve of mine. To me, New York Penn Station is a poster boy of how little we value public transportation and rail infrastructure in this country.

As for Metro-North, I don't think I have a least favorite station for them, I've rode all of their line except the New Haven Branches and haven't seen anything that looks unacceptable. Spring Valley on the PVL looks like it could use a little sprucing up but thats about it. I also may be slightly bias because in my opinion, their one of the best, if not the best commuter railroad operating in North America right now.

Of course it's frequent that's why it's the best.

The Spring Valley , Nanuet , and Pearl River Stations will be high level platformed along with the Suffern , Hillburn , Sloatsburg , Tuxedo , Harrimen , Middletown and Port Jervis these station upgrades come with development plans....

thats new, I know Port Jervis yard has plans for being upgraded, but I didnt know they were redoing all those west of hudson stations.

if you like serious urban decay then i guess its a perfect station lol

as for Metro North, I forget what Williams Bridge looked like, is that the one with the mystery ramp to nowhere? I know Melrose looks pretty bad.

Wouldnt be so bad if there was a lighting.

What is the prupose of that station anyway? Do Long Islanders really commute to East NY?

What is the prupose of that station anyway? Do Long Islanders really commute to East NY?

yes a few from nassau. It is a transfer point for the (J)(C) & (L) so it could at least look well less shitty that would be nice. Mostly the (J) and (L) I can see LIers switching to at ENY cause the fulton street line does parallel it. If it's next to the jct it needs a doover it looks unacceptable.

thats new, I know Port Jervis yard has plans for being upgraded, but I didnt know they were redoing all those west of hudson stations.

HUH those stations outside rush hour have dismal ridership except the 3 spring valley line stations. The port jervis line it goes through areas so empty you literally don't even see cars at many intersections for hours during the day.

there are some industrial areas in the area, also people who work in Brooklyn theres a transfer to the Subway there.

As for improving that station, they really need better lighting and transit cops there 24/7

HUH those stations outside rush hour have dismal ridership except the 3 spring valley line stations. The port jervis line it goes through areas so empty you literally don't even see cars at many intersections for hours during the day.

When i was in Campbell Hall station on a Sunday last August, there was a decent amount of people getting on and off, I expected it to be totally deserted.

there are some industrial areas in the area, also people who work in Brooklyn theres a transfer to the Subway there.

As for improving that station, they really need better lighting and transit cops there 24/7

When i was in Campbell Hall station on a Sunday last August, there was a decent amount of people getting on and off, I expected it to be totally deserted.

Off-peak? Many parts of orange are so empty you don't even see cars

Archived