N88 to Jones Beach still running for the summer.

There's no need to meet the LIRR at Wantagh. Beachgoers should get off Freeport.

The problem is riders connecting from other NICE bus routes. Yes there a number of bus routes going to Freeport. But it's not as easy to get to from most NICE routes such as Roosevelt Field. Which is why I'd like to see the N51 extended to serve Jones Beach in summer. As we know the N51 has low ridership, but that would surely change if it was extended to the beach. Similar results could be seen with an N74 extension as well. I will say not everybody is thrilled with the idea of Freeport. I loathe going there which is why when the N87 was discontinued I stopped going. There's few facilities in the area (the LIRR waiting room hours are much fewer than Hicksville) there's not many stores and the area is kinda ghetto. I would just can Freeport service altogether. People can take the LIRR to pick up the buses at Hicksville, Wantagh, or Merrick. This will make the service more appealing. I think when the (MTA) killed the N87 there was a significant loss of bus ridership, many of those kids that took the N87 from Hicksville and Wantagh just found other ways to the beach (family or friends) instead of taking the long and unpleasant trip via Freeport.

I think NICE is making (yet another) mistake by not restoring the n87 or creating another route to get to Jones Beach.

So this would be my setup for summer beach service:

N51 runs 7 days a week (summer-only) and serves Jones Beach, hourly service from RF.

N74 runs 7 days a week (summer-only) extended to Jones Beach, short runs from Wantagh LIRR to provide half hourly service.

Both service theater concerts

N88 eliminated, N51 stops near Freeport/Merrick border for those riders.

Extra buses would be on standby for overcrowding. I'd also make many trips fair weather only. On rainy days most beach trips won't operate since when weather is poor the buses are empty wasting $$.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The N88 should just be kept. Too Many People are used to going to freeport to get to JB. Hoever I support using the N51/74 as JB routrs, the 51 Just needs 30-min service.

The problem is riders connecting from other NICE bus routes. Yes there a number of bus routes going to Freeport. But it's not as easy to get to from most NICE routes such as Roosevelt Field. Which is why I'd like to see the N51 extended to serve Jones Beach in summer. As we know the N51 has low ridership, but that would surely change if it was extended to the beach. Similar results could be seen with an N74 extension as well. I will say not everybody is thrilled with the idea of Freeport. I loathe going there which is why when the N87 was discontinued I stopped going. There's few facilities in the area (the LIRR waiting room hours are much fewer than Hicksville) there's not many stores and the area is kinda ghetto. I would just can Freeport service altogether. People can take the LIRR to pick up the buses at Hicksville, Wantagh, or Merrick. This will make the service more appealing. I think when the (MTA) killed the N87 there was a significant loss of bus ridership, many of those kids that took the N87 from Hicksville and Wantagh just found other ways to the beach (family or friends) instead of taking the long and unpleasant trip via Freeport.

I think NICE is making (yet another) mistake by not restoring the n87 or creating another route to get to Jones Beach.

So this would be my setup for summer beach service:

N51 runs 7 days a week (summer-only) and serves Jones Beach, hourly service from RF.

N74 runs 7 days a week (summer-only) extended to Jones Beach, short runs from Wantagh LIRR to provide half hourly service.

Both service theater concerts

N88 eliminated, N51 stops near Freeport/Merrick border for those riders.

Extra buses would be on standby for overcrowding. I'd also make many trips fair weather only. On rainy days most beach trips won't operate since when weather is poor the buses are empty wasting $$.

Jerusalem Avenue ran service from the N51 and Massapequa Park to Jones Beach. Mid-Island ran service off the N80.

No need to interline the 79 with the 73. 79 should go back to Mineola, 73/74 extended to jones beach. Its not fair now that if I want to go to beach I have to pay 2 fares now from the 79. Im better off just going to tobay beach where its quiet and empty during the week. Hey maybe the town of oyster bay should run a shuttle or something that would be great.

Didn't the MTA charge another fare for the Jones Beach bus Regardless? IIRC, if you had an unlimited card you were fine, but if you had a PPR card, it always took a full fare, no transfers.

The N88 should just be kept. Too Many People are used to going to freeport to get to JB. Hoever I support using the N51/74 as JB routrs, the 51 Just needs 30-min service.

Aside from that, you have a bunch of transfers available at Freeport (N4/36/40/41/43/62) that aren't available at Merrick or Wantagh. I mean, the N43 sort of goes near the N51, but still.

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Freeport an express station?

Aside from that, you have a bunch of transfers available at Freeport (N4/36/40/41/43/62) that aren't available at Merrick or Wantagh. I mean, the N43 sort of goes near the N51, but still.

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Freeport an express station?

Though not clear, I think your question is Freeport a LIRR express station? No. The LIRR doesn't have expres stations like the subway. During the rush, some trains make limited stops, like Rockville Centre to Freeport with Freeport the last stop. Some trains may make Amityville the first stop and then local to Bablyon. HOWEVER, Freeport does have a yard for trains to layover. So, during the rush, some trains originate at Freeport in the AM and terminate at Freeport in the PM.

Didn't the MTA charge another fare for the Jones Beach bus Regardless? IIRC, if you had an unlimited card you were fine, but if you had a PPR card, it always took a full fare, no transfers.

No only if you came from a queens bus then you don't get two transfer only for the N88. EX if you went q43 to n22 to n79 thats one fare. city to n4 to N88 is two. If you live off the 79 you must take 4 buses now.

Which is why the n24 should be cut back and the n79 re-extended to RF.

No, it shouldn't. The 24 should be extended to S. Huntington. Think about it. A lot of ridership on Long Island Bus comes from Jamaica and with the 24 extended to Hicksville, this brings more ridership to Old Country Rd because people don't have to worry about a transfer. I know there are problems with the 24 connection to the 79 at Hicksville, so just consolidate the routes. It only makes the 24 a little longer than the length of the N22, so I see it working out if timed correctly.

How's the n24's OTP been with the extension to Hicksville?

I don't like the idea of N24 Jamaica-Huntington. WAY too long, and too much congested streets. If its that much of a benefit, swap them:

N24 Hillside Av-Old Country Road

N22 Jericho Tpk-Westbury Ave

Extend either to Huntington.

How many people realistically are going from the N79 to Jones Beach?

Hey I don't know if I'm going to do it I probably haven't been to Jones in over 10 years. I think its the only route where thats the problem no other route does. I annoyed the hell out of Kumar to change his thought about that. Next meeting I will bust his balls again because maybe then they will extend the 79 to somewhere.

If you live off the 79 you must take 4 buses now.

That's how it was for me to get to the beach last year. Had to be 4 buses.I had to start on the N20 and end on the N88. To connect those two routes, there has to be two routes in between. All because there isn't an N87 anymore.

How's the n24's OTP been with the extension to Hicksville?

I don't like the idea of N24 Jamaica-Huntington. WAY too long, and too much congested streets. If its that much of a benefit, swap them:

N24 Hillside Av-Old Country Road

N22 Jericho Tpk-Westbury Ave

Extend either to Huntington.

Really gotta look at the ridership patterns and see where the most transfers at Hicksville happen, then decide on that.

Combine the N79 with the N73 for all I car, They interline anyway, There will just be be weekend service to S. Huntington. You can combine the N74/78 as well, they are both peak hours only...

Combine the N79 with the N73 for all I car, They interline anyway, There will just be be weekend service to S. Huntington. You can combine the N74/78 as well, they are both peak hours only...

No because the one leaving S.huntington after 2 30 becomes a 74 at 315 and not a 73.

That's how it was for me to get to the beach last year. Had to be 4 buses.I had to start on the N20 and end on the N88. To connect those two routes, there has to be two routes in between. All because there isn't an N87 anymore.

Really gotta look at the ridership patterns and see where the most transfers at Hicksville happen, then decide on that.

No offense I don't think they look at that ridership I think they look at just NICE bus transfers for something of that nature.

No offense I don't think they look at that ridership I think they look at just NICE bus transfers for something of that nature.

They're suppose to look at everything and take EVERYTHING into consideration.

No because the one leaving S.huntington after 2 30 becomes a 74 at 315 and not a 73.

Okay, that can be worked out, , like the 230/315 trips being short turns

They're suppose to look at everything and take EVERYTHING into consideration.

Let's be reasonable. Veolia took over in January and had to make schedule adjustments in April. They didn't have any Jones Beach ridership figures unless (MTA) gave them ridership figures from last year.

They made the right move with reducing the N15 frequencies. It seems like they took the ridership data for everything else and threw darts at a bulletin board... *coughN6Xcough*

LOL. How is the N6x doing these days? So what in your opinion, made the reduction on the N15 the right move?

The N15 bunched up plenty over the years, to the point where a bus would arrive literally seconds after one backed out of the bay, which meant that one would leave empty.

The N16x would be more useful if it arrived when students were at the stop, i.e. about 10-20 minutes after classes end. I can't email Veolia for some reason through the NICE site to tell them about it, though. How much faster it is even though it swings all the way around the middle of Hempstead is surprising, though.

The purpose of "MASS transit" is to make a profit at moving the MASSes of people, most of which will be taking the LIRR from Manhattan/Brooklyn to Freeport, and then transferring to a bus at Freeport to get to Jones Beach. I highly doubt they are thinking of people who are going to take 4 buses to get from another part of Nassau to Jones Beach. They would quickly go out of business if they are worried about those 1 or 2 people, at the expense of the hundreds of others coming via the LIRR from the city.

Archived