Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

- I personally wouldn't drive to the express bus, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's silly.....

For me, it's feasible to just walk to the B46 & xfer to one of the BM's (1 or 2, whichever I feel like taking) in the morning & that's that...

....Although I still get a bit of a kick out of the SI-ers that drive to brooklyn & park along shore rd that do so (for the x27/37)...

IMO, what would more fall under the category of silliness is driving to catch the subway....

Wait, what? WHY? Staten Island is full of express bus routes. Why would they add the cost of the bridge toll to ride the 27/27?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question for other members: so this whole BM10/BM15 thing, viable at all? As I mentioned a page ago, there were posts on here and on BusChat a while back about the (MTA) considering the routes again before the 2010 cuts. Any reason why? Is there a market for those routes I'm not aware of?

Are drop-offs at the subway counted in this category of silliness? :unsure:

Drop offs? Nah, I'm talking about motorists that park their cars somewhere around some subway station, to catch the subway at that station....

I have an idea. Since the B71 was so bad east of GAP, how about this. It could operate between GAP and South Ferry.

I had an old idea that had the 71 starting at prospect park, running to South Ferry.....

Ending buses at Grand Army Plaza itself wouldn't do much of anyone justice.....

Edited by B35 via Church

Quick question for other members: so this whole BM10/BM15 thing, viable at all? As I mentioned a page ago, there were posts on here and on BusChat a while back about the (MTA) considering the routes again before the 2010 cuts. Any reason why? Is there a market for those routes I'm not aware of?

There is a market for the BM15 but the BM10 forget about it it was too close to the X27 and wasn't that much faster than even the (N) now with new B70 routing no chance. BM15 however served an area far from the subway and with horrid local bus service B4. I do see a need for BM15. That along with BM1 should run all day the other BMs can be just rush hour and evenings only.

Wait, what? WHY? Staten Island is full of express bus routes. Why would they add the cost of the bridge toll to ride the 27/27?

Cause they are financially inept. No sane person would even consider such a foolish decision it's safe to say they are MORONS.

You know I've been giving that driving from Staten Island to Brooklyn thing some thought and there's probably a good reason for that.  I'm starting to believe that some people drive over to our Riverdale express buses.  During the St. Patrick's Day Parade I heard some folks on the BxM1 talking about how they had drove down to Riverdale (from Westchester) to take the express bus into the city and then I said to myself I could see why they do that... There's decent parking in Riverdale for free, it's safe and you're on the expressway in a short amount of time even if you park in Northern Riverdale.  

Those people driving into Bay Ridge must see some advantage... The X27/X37's run fairly well and there's probably decent amount of seats open and if they're right over the bridge there then it's not a terrible idea... I could see X18 riders doing that, similar to how X16 riders would drive to the X12... They would also have later service in comparison to say the X18.  I just wonder about the parking situation because Shore Rd is generally not good for parking.

Thinking about it further, some folks have a thing about time and comfort... I can see people driving to the subway too, esp. if they feel like the bus is either crowded or a schlepp... Think about it... You do have some lines that are a PITA to deal with when trying to take the subway... The B36 comes to mind... You could drive to the (Q) much quicker than taking that bus esp. since it's local.

There are some folks that I would use the express bus with that absolutely HATED the idea of having to transfer after they got to Staten Island so they would drive rather than wait for a local bus, not to mention the so called stigma. I heard a lady talking about that.  She was like yeah I'll just take the X12 this way I can get in my car because I'm not taking no local bus. LOL

Are you kidding it's a RETARDED IDEA dumbasses can simply take local bus to X14 or use X1 variants at fingerboard utter fools have no right to complain about prices if they are dumb enough to pay high TOLLS AND EXPRESS BUS fare.

I had an old idea that had the 71 starting at prospect park, running to South Ferry.....

I saw it. it's a pretty good idea. Is there anyway that they could the B57/67 similar to what they do with the M79/86? That is have some 57's come from JG and some 67's come from GA should it extended to Williamsburg

People actually do it sad but true look at the P&R at the grant ave (A) station SMH WOW yes people actually do drive to the subway. Heck SI fools driving to X27 getting raped with tolls just for X27/37 the stupidity in that can't be described with mere words cause it's on a scale that man can't even calculate. EPIC FACEPALM!!!!!!!! AT LEAST TAKE THE X1!!!!! CMON MAN!!!

With the X27/37, they probably figure they'll be guaranteed a seat. There are obviously plenty of express routes that stop in Arrochar, but many of them are full from picking up people from other parts of SI.

The SI resident rate is about $6 I believe. (It's even cheaper if you're a carpool, but I doubt many of them are carpooling). So that means it's $18 rather than $12 (plus the marginal cost of gas and wear-and-tear), but some people might find it worth it.

With the (A), I could see why some people might do it. I remember on city-data, somebody mentioned that they were moving to the area by Dumont & Eldert, and it's not too easy to get to the (A) from there. The B13 stops near there, but it's infrequent and you have to cross Linden Blvd, the B14 doesn't stop directly at Euclid Avenue, and the B15 & B20 don't help if you want the (A). And they weren't too fond of walking all the way to the (A), so they decided to drive. In Canarsie, if you're not along the B42 or the B6/82 (or the B17 Paerdegat branch during rush hour), there's no direct way to get to the (L), so it's a similar situation (not to mention you might get back at an odd hour when the buses don't run frequently).

Are drop-offs at the subway counted in this category of silliness? :unsure:

People in Queens would drive to LIRR (if it weren't so expensive) but most people in Queens, if they're being driven to the train, just drop-off on the way. Most Queens residents drive intra-borough, especially if you're headed for or coming from somewhere east of the Van Wyck.

No... I think it makes perfect sense... I know of an interpeter that lives far out in Queens out in Queens Village and hated the commute so much that he would only accept jobs if they were for a certain amount of hours, other he would spend more time traveling than he did actually earning money.

Simple... COMFORT...  Staten Island has tons of express buses, but you'd be surprised at how overcrowded some of them can be on certain lines.. The X5 was infamous for having several MIA buses... Then one bus would come and people would be packed on the bus standing for the entire commute to Midtown in those little aisles... Imagine having to deal with that before you've started your day at work...

Drop offs? Nah, I'm talking about motorists that park their cars somewhere around some subway station, to catch the subway at that station....

Actually drop-offs are also very common, either to the express bus, local bus or the subway, or you may have people call their loved ones to meet them from the train station... I used to think the same way... That it was foolish... But as you get older and you've doing that grind every day, I can see why they do it... Having did the bus to the ferry to the subway when I first started working, I can't tell you how stressful and tiring that commute was, not only the constant transfers, but having to stress out constantly about whether the bus was coming on time and if I'd make the ferry on time.  It almost became like another job which is insane.  Believe it or not I have heard of Staten Islanders being fired because they had issues getting to work on time, mainly caused by the whole ferry set up.

Cause they are financially inept. No sane person would even consider such a foolish decision it's safe to say they are MORONS.

Are you kidding it's a RETARDED IDEA dumbasses can simply take local bus to X14 or use X1 variants at fingerboard utter fools have no right to complain about prices if they are dumb enough to pay high TOLLS AND EXPRESS BUS fare.

Well you should speak for yourself... When you have a family to raise, it's a whole different ball game and that's why many people pay more for their transportation because they want to get home to spend time with their kids... If they live in an area where transportation isn't that great or where they're forced to make multiple transfers but they like everything else about the area, well they have to be creative in how they get and from work and if it means spending more money then so be it.  

There's a lot that goes into traveling that I don't think you understand since you don't work a full-time job yet, but when you've worked 10+ hours a day five days a week, the last thing you want to deal with is a painful commute, so it may seem foolish to drive to the subway but it may allow those folks to sleep later, spend more time with their kids or what have you.  

In my case, I don't even have kids and sometimes I am exhausted from working, so I'll spend the extra money to pay for MetroNorth even though I may have an Express Bus Plus Card because I can sleep later or maybe I need to take care of something.

Either way, commuting is a very stressful part of the every day grind and it can be extremely tiring.  

---

What I'm curious about is the idea of making some B36 runs LIMITED STOP during the rush hours...

Here's what I would do:

In the morning, I would have a limited stop bus every say 6 - 8 minutes and have them make just 4 stops to Sheepshead Bay train station:

-Avenue U & Nostrand

-Avenue Z & Nostrand

-Avenue Z & Bedford Avenue

-Avenue Z & Ocean Avenue

Then Sheepshead Bay Train station...

Maybe you could even run those buses as shuttles and short turn them and have them do the same thing in the other direction...

I was even wondering if it would be possible to make some buses artics or would the turns be too tight? I mean they've got buses running every 4-6 minutes or 3-5 minutes in some cases...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

...Actually drop-offs are also very common, either to the express bus, local bus or the subway, or you may have people call their loved ones to meet them from the train station...

He's asking if I meant that drop offs to the subway were silly....

Drop offs had nothing to do with that original comment he's asking about, with which I replied in answering accordingly....

I'm well aware of the commonality of that practice.....

He's asking if I meant that drop offs to the subway were silly....

Drop offs had nothing to do with that original comment he's asking about, with which I replied in answering accordingly....

I'm well aware of the commonality of that practice.....

I know and I can see why he's asking... You're still being driven to the subway. The only difference is someone is dropping you off, so what's your take on that? lol

I know and I can see why he's asking... You're still being driven to the subway. The only difference is someone is dropping you off, so what's your take on that? lol

You can attempt to bottomline it like that, but it's hardly the same thing.... If you drove, you'd realize how different a concept the two are....

The driving around to look for a parking spot, just to embark on the subway.... Again, damn all that....

What's my take on someone being dropped off at the subway? It's no different from that person riding on some other means/mode (like the bus, for example), that's what.... Only real difference is that that person isn't coming out of pocket..... You're not the person worrying about finding parking just to get on the subway..... There's no reason for me to see someone being driven to the subway as being more on the silly side.....

Edited by B35 via Church

You can attempt to bottomline it like that, but it's hardly the same thing.... If you drove, you'd realize how different a concept the two are....

The driving around to look for a parking spot, just to embark on the subway.... Again, damn all that....

What's my take on dropping someone off at the subway? It's no different from taking a bus to the subway, that's what....

You're not the person worrying about finding parking just to get on the subway..... There's no reason for me to see that as being more on the silly side.....

lol... Well I follow what you're saying but if parking isn't an issue then it isn't a big deal at all... Me personally I'd just park on a residential street and walk to the station from there.

lol... Well I follow what you're saying but if parking isn't an issue then it isn't a big deal at all... Me personally I'd just park on a residential street and walk to the station from there.

It's not about being a big deal..... it's about tackiness (for lack of a better word)....

It's like paying for limo service to be dropped off in the hood or in some industrial area.... It's on some extra shit.....

Like I said earlier, if I'm going to drive to access public transportation, it's going to be to the express bus or to the RR (esp. if I'm in the suburbs)....

Edited by B35 via Church

It's not about being a big deal..... it's about tackiness (for lack of a better word)....

It's like paying for limo service to be dropped off in the hood or in some industrial area.... It's on some extra shit.....

Like I said earlier, if I'm going to drive to access public transportation, it's going to be to the express bus or to the RR (esp. if I'm in the suburbs)....

LOL@tackiness... 

In the Queens bus thread, B35 brought up 2 new routes.

A Park Slope-Williamsburg route and a Park Slope-Clinton Hill route. I'm thinking of starting them at 7 Av (F)(G).

Nah.... Bit of a misunderstanding here, fam.....

Back in that thread, all I was saying with that, is that there's demand for/between those areas' in question.....

With Williamsburg, it's something the B69 can accomplish if the MTA removes the route from Jay/Sands

(clinton hill - park slope is already done w/ the B69)

BM1: Sunday Service

It warrants it. It should start on the BM1, then the BM2, then the other three BM routes (if needed).

With the way saturday service has been slashed on the BM's, it's safe to say that we can forget about adding sunday service....

I happen to agree though that there is a bit of a demand for sunday service on the BM1...

Nah.... Bit of a misunderstanding here, fam.....

Back in that thread, all I was saying with that, is that there's demand for/between those areas' in question.....

With Williamsburg, it's something the B69 can accomplish if the MTA removes the route from Jay/Sands

(clinton hill - park slope is already done w/ the B69)[/i ]

Gotcha. Thanks

BM1: Sunday Service

It warrants it. It should start on the BM1, then the BM2, then the other three BM routes (if needed).

The only route that warrants that is BM1 others not even  close. FYI those with unlimited cards non express plus pay $3.50 for express bus if their trip started via local bus or subway. BM1 could use better saturday service the others are not needed on weekends. For BM2  the duplication card would thwart any attempt at BM2 sunday service. BM1 is very unique and the only bus on ave K one block from ave J. BM3 has no reason to run on saturday let alone sunday forget BM5 not likely.

The only route that warrants that is BM1 others not even  close. FYI those with unlimited cards non express plus pay $3.50 for express bus if their trip started via local bus or subway. BM1 could use better saturday service the others are not needed on weekends. For BM2  the duplication card would thwart any attempt at BM2 sunday service. BM1 is very unique and the only bus on ave K one block from ave J. BM3 has no reason to run on saturday let alone sunday forget BM5 not likely.

Is this a fact, or are you saying how it should be?

Is this a fact, or are you saying how it should be?

yup it is actually fact. I know I did it before this is actually recent. It was not like that before. Now that unlimited cards and PPR can share the same card new transfer policies and incentives were added as well. I was able to dip my monthly $112 card into an express bus the express only took $3.50 but it said transfer then deducted that from my PPR value balance since I have both unlimited and PPR value on my card. However if I take express bus back as a drawback I am constantly paying $3.50 per ride without transfer to other expresses anymore as a result unless my first bus is an express in which it deducts $6 BUT you gain a transfer to any other express bus. You don't get that if your first trip is not the express bus. So casual express bus riders who mostly use the subway now pay $2 less than they did before when they had to buy a separate metrocard no more are those days.

yup it is actually fact. I know I did it before this is actually recent. It was not like that before. Now that unlimited cards and PPR can share the same card new transfer policies and incentives were added as well. I was able to dip my monthly $112 card into an express bus the express only took $3.50 but it said transfer then deducted that from my PPR value balance since I have both unlimited and PPR value on my card. However if I take express bus back as a drawback I am constantly paying $3.50 per ride without transfer to other expresses anymore as a result unless my first bus is an express in which it deducts $6 BUT you gain a transfer to any other express bus. You don't get that if your first trip is not the express bus. So casual express bus riders who mostly use the subway now pay $2 less than they did before when they had to buy a separate metrocard no more are those days.

If you take the express bus first, you can just use a seperate PPR MetroCard.

If you're doing local-express-express, that means you pay $3.50 for the first express and $6 for the second, if you use the same MetroCard.

But if you use a seperate PPR MetroCard for the express, you get a free ride on the local (with the unlimited), and then with the PPR, it just deducts $6.

But yeah, that it a good deal for the casual express riders. The catch is that they have to use the subway/local bus first (Which, I guess if you really wanted to, you could go into a subway or local bus, swipe, and then go back out and take your express bus).

So let's say I have a card that holds both an Unlimited $112 monthly Metrocard that's already been activated, plus $20 value.  I swipe on the B70 local bus (which is covered by my Unlimited Metrocard).  Then when I swipe on the X27 express bus 20 minutes later, it will deduct $3.50 from the $20 value (even though the B70 was covered by my Unlimited Metrocard)?  But had I *not* taken the B70 local bus and I only took the X27, then I would have been charged the full $6.00 fare on the X27?  So in essence it's cheaper for me to take the B70 local bus (or subway) before I swipe on an express bus?

Edited by RtrainBlues

So let's say I have a card that holds both an Unlimited $112 monthly Metrocard that's already been activated, plus $20 value.  I swipe on the B70 local bus (which is covered by my Unlimited Metrocard).  Then when I swipe on the X27 express bus 20 minutes later, it will deduct $3.50 from the $20 value (even though the B70 was covered by my Unlimited Metrocard)?  But had I *not* taken the B70 local bus and I only took the X27, then I would have been charged the full $6.00 fare on the X27?  So in essence it's cheaper for me to take the B70 local bus (or subway) before I swipe on an express bus?

yes pretty much that is the case. It's cheaper if you have both unlimited and PPR than to use separate cards.

If you take the express bus first, you can just use a seperate PPR MetroCard.

If you're doing local-express-express, that means you pay $3.50 for the first express and $6 for the second, if you use the same MetroCard.

But if you use a seperate PPR MetroCard for the express, you get a free ride on the local (with the unlimited), and then with the PPR, it just deducts $6.

But yeah, that it a good deal for the casual express riders. The catch is that they have to use the subway/local bus first (Which, I guess if you really wanted to, you could go into a subway or local bus, swipe, and then go back out and take your express bus).

Yeah you get free ride on 2nd express bus if done with separate PPR but with merged unlimited /PPR you do pay $6 for 2nd express bus if your first mode was local bus/subway.