Brooklyn Bus 2006, 1981 & 1976

Harry

I thought it would be interesting to see and to compare the differences in service changes and additions between a current NYCT Brooklyn bus map and a NYCTA Brooklyn bus map.

The areas covered are Bath Beach, Bensonhurst, Coney Island, Gravesend, Brighton Beach, Manhattan Beach, Sheepshead Bay & Sea Gate.

2006 NYCT Brooklyn Bus Map

MTA_current_brooklyn_bus.jpg

1981 NYCTA Brooklyn Bus Map

MTA_1981_brooklyn_bus.jpg

1976 NYCTA Brooklyn Bus Map

MTA_1976_brooklyn_bus.jpg

The B5 is now the B82, the B3 doesn't terminate with the B6 anymore, the B2 and B31 terminate @ the same stop. The B50 is now the B7 part time, the B78 no longer terminates @ West End Avenue...now it terminates @ Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue station. The B4 in the 1991 bus map doesn't run long Shore Parkway but its does now. The (B) no longer runs via West End, (D) no longer runs via Brighton, (M) terminates @ Bay Parkway and QB is eliminated. Damn I would loveed ride the (M) and QB to Coney Island-Stillwell and also would love to see that subway they used on that train, but I was 1-1.5 yrs old back in 1981. (B) and (D) old routes....memories.

I like the old bus map format, but the Subway stations on that 1981 map aren't labeled.

Yes I like the older format too. Also, the card stock used on the old maps was better. It felt like at thicker heavier stock than todays flimsy maps. It would have been nice if they'd stuck with that.

Wow, looks amazing. The X29 used to run to Sea Gate...hmm, I see why they extended the X28 over there. The B31 really didn't need to run on Av U, so I see why they put it on Av R. And the B5-50 turned into the B82-7, nice. Some history there, before my time, thanks for posting.

Wow, looks amazing. The X29 used to run to Sea Gate...hmm, I see why they extended the X28 over there. The B31 really didn't need to run on Av U, so I see why they put it on Av R. And the B5-50 turned into the B82-7, nice. Some history there, before my time, thanks for posting.

Glad you liked it. I'm going to show some love to Bronx and post a comparison with two Bronx maps a little later.

Great maps, the best maps were the subway map in both sides during the Manhattan Bridge reconstruction of 1995.

Midday service

(D) terminated at 34 Street Herald Square from the 205 Street Bronx

(:D ran only between Atlantic Avenue and Coney Island via West End line.

(Q6) didn't run, was replaced by (Q) making all (D) stops via Brighton Local. (Q) ran to 21 Street Queensbridge via Broadway.

(N) was local in Brooklyn.

(S) Grand Street-Broadway Lafayette.

No service at 57th Street and 6 Avenue.

No service on Manhattan Bridge

Rush Hour service

(D)(Q6) via Brighton

(B) 168 Street Manhattan to Coney Island

(N) Express service via 4 Avenue

(B)(D) and (Q6) ran on the Manhattan Bridge

No (S) necessary at Grand Street.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?:confused:

This happened during 1995.

Makes perfect sense to me. The (:D(D)(Q6) ran over the bridge every time they ran between Brooklyn and Manhattan after 1995 until 2001. There was no (Q)(Qx) until after 2001. The (B)(D) ran to 34th during north side bridge work in the early 2000s and the Grand Street Shuttle ran from West 4th to Grand. Only things I didn't know were that the (Q) ran to Queensbridge and that on the Midday nothing used the bridge. So the (N) running to Broadway via tunnel I could see but did not know about the (Q) to Broadway via tunnel. It all fits.

Now lets take a look at the other side of Brooklyn in this comparison.

The areas covered are Bedford-Stuyvesant, Crown Heights, Broadway Junction, Brownsville, Bushwick and East New York.

2006 NYCT Brooklyn Bus Map

MTA_current_brooklyn_bus2.jpg

1981 NYCTA Brooklyn Bus Map

MTA_1981_brooklyn_bus2.jpg

the B10 & the B22... really stands out...

the B46... on "Reid" av.. lol...

the double L... the 2 to New Lots... damn... makes me feel old....

the old 18 turning off on cypress av...

the old B40, 47, and the 78... my how times changed...

thanks for sharing these screenshots of older bus maps w/ us, bro....

*awaits the old bronx one*

• 6 months later...

Archived