When will the (MTA) start adding more weekend service to other lines?

I see. I guess the difference is that the (4)(5)(6) haven't received service cuts in 2010. Do you think that the MTA is following its 125% loading guidelines? Do you think that they improperly calculated ridership? What I'd really like to know is why there are crowding problems when the MTA says that they're providing enough service.

And once again, the (2)(3) not "running well" IMO is about bunching, a separate problem.

Yes and no. I think the (2)(3) could use a bit more service, but yes bunching certainly magnifies the crowding.

As for their calculations, I wouldn't be surprised if they did. The (MTA) is good at making the stats work for them whether it be for increasing ridership or cutting it.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there any independent sources for ridership data?

Good question... This is one thing that the (MTA) may be forced to change. I forget which politician it is (James Vacca I believe) is drafting legislation which would force the (MTA) to justify their numbers as to how they come up with their statistics. Right now they don't really have to answer to anyone on their numbers.

I don't specifically distrust their numbers, but that sounds like a really good idea. We'll never have definitive answers about weekend ridership until everyone can have confidence in the data...

Exactly and the other issue is that even if they're not trying anything devious, they do make mistakes quite often.

You're starting to remind me of a certain someone on this forum. Makes me wonder if you're so "new" after all... In any event, since you don't have any problems with weekend service, why don't we just close this thread and we can wait for you to create a thread and see what you have to add. You don't have anything to add so therefore automatically no one else should and the thread should be closed. Extremely arrogant. It's always about what post you don't like, what thread someone creates which you don't like. It seems to me that you've got a problem with everything others do, as you've done this with others too, so long as it isn't you. Last I checked you aren't a mod, but if I didn't know any better I would think that you were.

Hey, a certain someone got promoted to mod after he acted like one long enough (Hint: He likes to enforce language violations. ;) )

In any case, I don't see who you're referring to. :wacko: I don't automatically ask for threads to be shut down unless they've really been beaten to death.

Well I was thinking Jesus, there are only 4 cars for this train... You think they would run service a bit more frequently... Suffice it to say that the train arrived packed... It was pretty hot that day too so maybe the heat had something to do with the delays.

Like you said, they could just as easily be missing runs the way they do with buses.

In fact, I think it would be easier to pull it off with trains because relatively few people look at the schedule. On the bus, if it's infrequent enough, people know the schedule in advance, and if it's a relatively frequent route, people look at the schedule posted at the stop. When you've been standing at the stop since 3:35 and see buses scheduled at 3:36, 3:48, 4:00, and 4:12, and the only one to show up is the 4:12 run, that means at least 2 if not 3 of those runs went missing. On the train, very few people know the schedule, so it's easier to pull off.

Hey, a certain someone got promoted to mod after he acted like one long enough (Hint: He likes to enforce language violations. ;) )

In any case, I don't see who you're referring to. :wacko: I don't automatically ask for threads to be shut down unless they've really been beaten to death.

Don't worry it isn't you.

Like you said, they could just as easily be missing runs the way they do with buses.

In fact, I think it would be easier to pull it off with trains because relatively few people look at the schedule. On the bus, if it's infrequent enough, people know the schedule in advance, and if it's a relatively frequent route, people look at the schedule posted at the stop. When you've been standing at the stop since 3:35 and see buses scheduled at 3:36, 3:48, 4:00, and 4:12, and the only one to show up is the 4:12 run, that means at least 2 if not 3 of those runs went missing. On the train, very few people know the schedule, so it's easier to pull off.

That is true depending on the time of day because ridership may be light... Like I said before I never even knew there were subway schedules until recently. :blush:

Herman Denny Farrell could help weekend (2)(3) service, he did get the MTA to run the (3) late night, which 'eased congestion' on the Bronx bound (2) late night.

http://www.mta.info/...=080724-NYCT109

So what's the story?? Apparently they haven't been keeping up with the growth in Harlem because those (2) trains on the weekends come in to 96th street crushloaded in the afternoons.

What do you guys think about the (E) getting more weekend service? I take it from 14th Street to Jamaica Center in the evenings and nights and it gets packed. I can never get a seat until Union Tpke smh...

And about the (R), idk why its so slow. Sometimes there are delays or a problem w/the Queens Blvd line tho.. Last week, an (R) broke down Manhattan-bound at Steinway St, and other ®s went via the express track between Roosevelt and Queens Plaza, and on my way to school on Tuesday, there was a signal problem at Queens Plaza, and the (E) was delayed on the express track, with the (M) delayed on the local tracks right before the station and an (R) train that was forced to wait at 36th Street... There is sometimes an issue on the Broadway line (all those trains are bunched, there would be an N, then 2 mins later, a Q comes, then 2 mins later, an R comes, then 7 minutes passes and the cycle starts again)

What do you guys think about the (E) getting more weekend service? I take it from 14th Street to Jamaica Center in the evenings and nights and it gets packed. I can never get a seat until Union Tpke smh...

And about the (R), idk why its so slow. Sometimes there are delays or a problem w/the Queens Blvd line tho.. Last week, an (R) broke down Manhattan-bound at Steinway St, and other ®s went via the express track between Roosevelt and Queens Plaza, and on my way to school on Tuesday, there was a signal problem at Queens Plaza, and the (E) was delayed on the express track, with the (M) delayed on the local tracks right before the station and an (R) train that was forced to wait at 36th Street... There is sometimes an issue on the Broadway line (all those trains are bunched, there would be an N, then 2 mins later, a Q comes, then 2 mins later, an R comes, then 7 minutes passes and the cycle starts again)

I've used it here and there from say West 4th to maybe 53rd and 5th and service seems to be good and the trains aren't packed but crowded. The thing is on weekends the crowds start to empty out in the city, but those trains can be pretty crowded in Queens. I would agree that a few more trains could be added to ease the crowding. They're not as packed as (E) rush hour trains, but they're not too far off.

The thing with the (2) is that it shares most of it's route and tracks with the (3) and the (5), so if service were to be increased on that line, then service would also have to be increased on the (3) and (5) to maintain even headways.

Are even headways required in the subway? I never thought of that. There are definitely some areas without them; e.g. (C)(E) on the 8 Av local tracks.

Guest Lance

It doesn't have to be even headways across the board for each trunk. It just has match the ridership demands if that makes any sense. You don't want to have, for instance, two (3) trains for every (2) train at Franklin Av when more riders are heading towards Flatbush rather than New Lots.

As for the two (or more) (E) trains for every (C) train, that's because the (E) gets a boatload more riders than the (C).

It doesn't have to be even headways across the board for each trunk. It just has match the ridership demands if that makes any sense. You don't want to have, for instance, two (3) trains for every (2) train at Franklin Av when more riders are heading towards Flatbush rather than New Lots.

As for the two (or more) (E) trains for every (C) train, that's because the (E) gets a boatload more riders than the (C).

Gotcha. That's what I thought, that it was about ridership, but just checking.

Yep, very true about the (E)... Used to always annoy me waiting at 34th street... (E) trains would run like water and you'd wait forever for an (A) or (C) train.

Yep, very true about the (E)... Used to always annoy me waiting at 34th street... (E) trains would run like water and you'd wait forever for an (A) or (C) train.

Yeah, the headways are pretty bad on the (C). The (A) has good rush hour frequencies, but not middays. And, the (A) is one of the more bunching-prone lines as I think you expressed before...

I don't think it would've saved much money anyway. It costs more to run a train local than it does to run it express because of longer runtimes. I think it had more to do with GOs. (Remember: Frequency costs, speed saves)

Oh is that why QB has 2 expresses and One local on the weekends?

Oh is that why QB has 2 expresses and One local on the weekends?

It probably has something to do with that, though I doubt that's the sole reason. Part of it might have to do with switching and the other part might have to do with a lot of riders at Jamaica having to transfer to bus lines and everything, so they figure they should try and make the trip as fast as possible.

Archived