When will the (MTA) start adding more weekend service to other lines?

Damn is there one person on here who agrees that the (R) needs severe help? It's bad enough people have to wait 10-15 minutes for another train to arrive.

Nah, the (R)'s problem isn't headways, it's bunching & reliability. Fix those two problems, and I will bet all my money things will be better.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and for every 7-8 trains/hour during the heavy segments/time periods on the (1), how many of them aren't packed to the point that riders almost can't get on? Matter fact, how many of em can easily be boarded by riders? Don't tell me none, because I know that is just flat out false.... To suggest that 2 extra TPH or w/e during those segments on the weekends should be added on the 1, would have one think that each & every one of those trains are packed.....

....since you say it's not a headway issue.

Well let me ask you this then... You say you believe that ridership has increased on the weekends, yet on the same token you seem to refute the idea that at certain points of the afternoon on Saturdays that trains could be as crowded as rush hour trains, which quite frankly doesn't make sense. Seeing that there are college students going to 137th street on Saturdays, tourists by Times Square that are traveling about and all of the folks moving further up in Manhattan, it should make perfect sense that in the afternoons these trains would be crowded at this time of the year. Why do you find that so hard to believe?? My point is that trains should not be crowded as if it was the rush hour on the weekends, which is what I often find on the (1) train, especially in the afternoon. Of course the trains are empty when I get on at 191st street, but they become crowded quickly once you get to say 157th or 145th. Hell you don't even need all of those (1) trains to run to 242nd street, but perhaps there is a way to run some of them so far up and have them turn around. I would primarily focus on the hours between 15:00 - 18:00 on Saturdays when I feel that more service should be added on the (1).

Nah, the (R)'s problem isn't headways, it's bunching & reliability. Fix those two problems, and I will bet all my money things will be better.

I would disagree with that. For one thing, the (R)'s don't seem to link up with anything. In addition to that they are slow and seem to take forever to come. I mean the perfect example is the (R) in Bay Ridge. You can get off of an (N) train and wait a good 15 minutes while two or 3 (N)s come before one measily (R) comes. I would also put different cars on that line. The doors seem to take forever to close too.

This is why I initially said that Via Garibaldi 8 should ask the MTA why they don't add more service. Yes, people here have provided valuable information, but it's hard for someone without insider info from the MTA to explain why they don't add service to lines. I mean, anybody can say, "I waited a long time to get to "x" location," or "My "y" train was packed so many times," but the MTA seems to think that the current service is adequate. Any service increases are theoretically possible if the MTA is willing to spend the money, but I don't think anybody here can convince them to do so.

I'm not trying to shut down this discussion, but basically what is happening is that people are saying, "Why isn't there more service?" and others are trying to explain it to the best of their knowledge, e.g. bunching, G.Os. Then, VG8 replies and says, "No, we just need more service." Nobody here can explain why the MTA won't fork over the $$$ needed to increase subway service. Even though less crowding is obviously better, I don't buy the argument that increasing (1) service will make more people take the subway. People ride the train because they have a destination to go to IMO, not because they know that it'll be a pleasant experience. Increasing (1) service won't be profitable, IMO.

Well let me ask you this then... You say you believe that ridership has increased on the weekends, yet on the same token you seem to refute the idea that at certain points of the afternoon on Saturdays that trains could be as crowded as rush hour trains, which quite frankly doesn't make sense. Seeing that there are college students going to 137th street on Saturdays, tourists by Times Square that are traveling about and all of the folks moving further up in Manhattan, it should make perfect sense that in the afternoons these trains would be crowded at this time of the year. Why do you find that so hard to believe??

My point is that trains should not be crowded as if it was the rush hour on the weekends, which is what I often find on the (1) train, especially in the afternoon. Of course the trains are empty when I get on at 191st street, but they become crowded quickly once you to say 157th or 145th. Hell you don't even need all of those (1) trains to run to 242nd street, but perhaps there is a way to run some of them so far up and have them turn around.

Hard to believe what?

I said I'm not doubting the ridership increases.....I just don't think service should be increased because of said ridership increase.....

Seems to me that you're exaggerating the increase - To the point you wanna suggest that 2 extra trains should run during those times..... That is just flat out crazy.... Ridership on the 1 on the weekends during its peak usage aint skyrocket that damn much..... That is just fallacious to sit up here & portray......

Even though less crowding is obviously better, I don't buy the argument that increasing (1) service will make more people take the subway. People ride the train because they have a destination to go to IMO, not because they know that it'll be a pleasant experience.

Exactly, it's not a necessity right now..... Like I said in the last post, all the trains during the weekend hour(s) where the 1 sees its heaviest usage, isn't to the point that almost no one can get on the things.... If that were the case, then THAT would suffice adding another train......

I should also be clear in saying that I'm not advocating for tons of service on all lines. There are just a handful of lines that need more weekend service at certain times and the (1) would be one of them. I would also run the (B) to Brighton Beach on weekends to give folks 6th Avenue access and terminate the (B) at 145th street. The (F) should have more weekend service, as it seems to take FOREVER to get a train that goes to 2nd Avenue if you're at say 34th street particularly since there is no (V) train now and of course the (M) doesn't serve 2nd Avenue. I kept thinking that maybe it was because I was hammered, having just left one bar to go get more booze, but I've been sober going to get booze down by the Bowery and it's been the same thing.

The (V) never ran on weekends. As for the (B), access to 6th Avenue isn't direly needed. I mean, for the most part, the 6th Avenue stops are within walking distance of the Broadway stops, and if worse comes to worse, you just transfer at Atlantic Avenue or 34th Street.

Hard to believe what?

I said I'm not doubting the ridership increases.....I just don't think service should be increased because of said ridership increase.....

Seems to me that you're exaggerating the increase - To the point you wanna suggest that 2 extra trains should run during those times..... That is just flat out crazy.... Ridership on the 1 on the weekends during its peak usage aint skyrocket that damn much..... That is just fallacious to sit up here & portray......

Well I never said how many extra trains would be running. I simply stated 6 minutes instead 8 or 9, since I didn't sit down and calculate how many trains that would add up to. I supposed you've worked it out to being two extra trains, so okay fine, and I would agree that no two extra trains aren't needed, but certainly you could add one extra train per hour from say 3 - 6 pm. I don't think that would break the bank nor would do they have to run all the way to 242nd street since the ridership dips north of 137th street and they most certainly are needed to deal with the overcrowding. Again, this would not be year around either, just on Saturdays from 3 - 6pm or whenever they were needed. I don't understand why I would have "exaggerate" about ridership for 3 hours on a Saturday afternoon during the summertime on the (1) line.

It seems to me though that you're saying that ridership has increased on the weekends, even though you're not sure by how much, but yet you refute the idea of more being needed because of the increased ridership. Do you disagree with the added service on the (L) during the weekends as well?? Was the need for more trains during the weekends a figment of my imagination on that line too?

The (V) never ran on weekends. As for the (B), access to 6th Avenue isn't direly needed. I mean, for the most part, the 6th Avenue stops are within walking distance of the Broadway stops, and if worse comes to worse, you just transfer at Atlantic Avenue or 34th Street.

Whether it ran or not makes no difference to me. The (F) takes forever on weekends. That's all I know and I'm not sure why either because the trains aren't packed when they arrive. Don't most trains run about every 10 minutes on weekends??

As for the (B) forget about 6th Avenue. I'm just thinking about the commute itself. It would be great to have express service for folks in Southern Brooklyn on the weekends. The (Q) isn't the slowest in the world, but I think the (B) would be used. You could even cut back on the (Q) a bit to provide some (B) service. Not all of proposals are for service that is direly needed.

Well I never said how many extra trains would be running. I simply stated 6 minutes instead 8 or 9, since I didn't sit down an calculate how many trains that would add up to. I supposed you've worked it out to being two extra trains, so okay fine, and I would agree that no two extra trains aren't needed, but certainly you could add one extra train per hour from say 3 - 6 pm. I don't think that would break the bank nor would do they have to run all the way to 242nd street since the ridership dips north of 137th street and they most certainly are needed to deal with the overcrowding. Again, this would not be year around either, just on Saturdays from 3 - 6pm or whenever they were needed.

....and I'm saying the 8 mins is fine... No need to increase the service to every 6 mins. (or 5, as per your OP).....

I'm not arguing (increased) costs as to why I don't think service should be increased.....

It seems to me though that you're saying that ridership has increased on the weekends, even though you're not sure by how much, but yet you refute the idea of more being needed because of the increased ridership. Do you disagree with the added service on the (L) during the weekends as well?? Is the need for more trains a figment of my imagination on that line too?

Yeah, I'm questioning the amount of the increased ridership.... To be more specific, I'm questioning your exaggeration of the increased ridership, to the point where you think more service should be added to the line......

Yes, even though I'm not sure by how much (although I can honestly say it's not enough that more service should be added).....

But I suppose you know how much it's increased huh..... If that's the case, then spit out the numbers for us.....

Regarding the (L), your little snippy remark there was all for naught, b/c on the weekends, yeah I actually do disagree.... it runs like every 5-6 mins on saturday (not the every 8 mins, like on the 1)..... Not that bringing up the L has anything to do with what you want to do with the (1) though.....

Now how much more service you wanna put on that line (the L) on the weekends ?

Are you saying that if the service frequencies are adequate then that means that service shouldn't be further enhanced if needed?

I mean on the one hand you say that you don't doubt that ridership has increased on the weekends, but on the other hand you say that you don't have a problem with the frequencies. Overall, I would agree with that in that I feel the frequencies are generally fine, but even so if the trains are crushloaded particularly during the afternoons on Saturdays, then more service should be added during those times.

just picked up on this edit.....

No, that's not what I'm saying..... And I don't understand how you're telling me that you don't have a problem with the frequencies/headways, but you still think more service should be added..... That is a mathematical impossibility.... That makes far less sense than not having a problem w/ the frequencies (which I don't) & not doubting ridership increases......

I certainly see 1 trains that pass by during the early-to-mid afternoon hours on saturdays where there aren't even standing passengers, let alone pax that gotta fight to get on (yes, those trains do exist, not denying that).....and I'm talking about b/w 14th & 59th streets too....

All these trains during peak usage hours are not that packed.... they just aren't.....

Not enough to warrant boosting service..... IMO anyway....

....and I'm saying the 8 mins is fine... No need to increase the service to every 6 mins. (or 5, as per your OP).....

I'm not arguing (increased) costs as to why I don't think service should be increased.....

Yeah, I'm questioning the amount of the increased ridership.... To be more specific, I'm questioning your exaggeration of the increased ridership, to the point where you think more service should be added to the line......

Yes, even though I'm not sure by how much (although I can honestly say it's not enough that more service should be added).....

But I suppose you know how much it's increased huh..... If that's the case, then spit out the numbers for us.....

Regarding the (L), your little snippy remark there was all for naught, b/c on the weekends, yeah I actually do disagree.... it runs like every 5-6 mins on saturday (not the every 8 mins, like on the 1)..... Not that bringing up the L has anything to do with what you want to do with the (1) though.....

Now how much more service you wanna put on that line (the L) on the weekends ?

just picked up on this edit.....

No, that's not what I'm saying..... And I don't understand how you're telling me that you don't have a problem with the frequencies/headways, but you still think more service should be added..... That is a mathematical impossibility.... That makes far less sense than not having a problem w/ the frequencies (which I don't) & not doubting ridership increases......

I certainly see 1 trains that pass by during the early-to-mid afternoon hours on saturdays where there aren't even standing passengers, let alone pax that gotta fight to get on (yes, those trains do exist, not denying that).....and I'm talking about b/w 14th & 59th streets too....

All these trains during peak usage hours are not that packed.... they just aren't.....

Not enough to warrant boosting service..... IMO anyway....

Well then I'd be curious to hear when you're using the (1) train on Saturday and from where to where because I generally use it from 59th or 66th street to 191st street on Saturdays from 11:00 until 4pm. I think the issue here is where we use the (1) train and when. Now in the afternoons, I would agree that trains aren't packed below say 34th street, but ridership does pick up between 34th st & 137th. I'm also curious about some trains arriving crowded and others being empty. Where is this happening at on the (1) because I don't see it? Now I'm not saying all trains are packed, but as I said before, at certain times on weekends from certain locations, the trains are pretty packed, so it could be an issue of simply readjusting the schedule to have more even loading.

Regarding the frequencies, just because a train runs frequently doesn't mean that more service isn't needed. I mean the (4) and (5) trains run pretty frequently and the service still could be better due to the high ridership and overcrowding. I don't see how you can think that high frequencies automatically means that a line doesn't need more service and the (L) trains always get usage. Hell I've been on the (L) at 02:30 in the morning and there are plenty of folks on it, not crushloaded of course (in fact not even anyone really standing), but certainly a decent load. The (L) got more service on weekends because the communities which the (L) served pushed for it and it certainly was needed too. I've been on some of those (L) trains and they can be packed.

Well then I'd be curious to hear when you're using the (1) train on Saturday and from where to where because I generally use it from 59th or 66th street to 191st street on Saturdays from 11:00 until 4pm. I think the issue here is where we use the (1) train and when. Now in the afternoons, I would agree that trains aren't packed below say 34th street, but ridership does pick up between 34th st & 137th. I'm also curious about some trains arriving crowded and others being empty. Where is this happening at on the (1) because I don't see it? Now I'm not saying all trains are packed, but as I said before, at certain times on weekends from certain locations, the trains are pretty packed, so it could be an issue of simply readjusting the schedule to have more even loading.

Regarding the frequencies, just because a train runs frequently doesn't mean that more service isn't needed. I mean the (4) and (5) trains run pretty frequently and the service still could be better due to the high ridership and overcrowding.

I don't see how you can think that high frequencies automatically means that a line doesn't need more service and the (L) trains always get usage. Hell I've been on the (L) at 02:30 in the morning and there are plenty of folks on it, not crushloaded of course (in fact not even anyone really standing), but certainly a decent load. The (L) got more service on weekends because the communities which the (L) served pushed for it and it certainly was needed too. I've been on some of those (L) trains and they can be packed.

Via, who said anything about being empty? I said there are trains that don't have standing passengers... How you equate that to being empty is beyond me.....

You are continuing to reinforce to me that ridership has increased on the 1..... You are still not illustrating to what extent; you are the one asking when will the MTA start adding (weekend) service.... That is what I'm questioning; the extent of the increased ridership, not that ridership hasn't increased.....

And I'm not saying high frequencies automatically means anything..... You can spin it that way if it makes making your point easier for you if you like..... What I do think though is frequencies should be based on distributed usage..... As far as stating that all 1's shouldn't go to 242nd on the weekend, fine, that's another issue.....

As far as when I use the 1 on the weekend, it varies (esp. whenever I'm comin back from NJ via 34th/penn by way of the train or at PABT by way of the bus - and making my way to the 7th av line from there)..... but I'll tell you this much, when I'm anywhere around midtown (for shopping, after fanning, w/e), I make my way right over to the 7th av line.... When I'm waiting for 2's back to brooklyn @ 42nd or 34th (for the sake of discussion, it's usually around 5,6,7PM), I notice the 1 trains that pass by (either direction).... yeh, NB direction sees heavier usage than SB, not disputing that.... Hell, if I'm at 42nd, I take what comes first (it's usually the 1, then I get off at 14th [or S. Ferry itself if I feel like taking the express bus back home]) b/c I don't like waiting on that particular platform.... if I'm at 34th, I just walk over to the front of the SB 2 train.....

When I'm coming from Westchester & take the bee line bus to 242nd (this is usually around 4-5pm) for the 1, yeah, I'd agree that ridership picks up at 145th... it's max load I'd say is at 59th, then pax start to dissipate from there (although you have another set that boards at 34th & 42nd)...... What I will say is during the early afternoon hours is when the 1 sees heavy usage b/w 34th & points south......

In any case, I'm seeing nothing that warrants a service increase on the line during its peak periods.... I'm just not.

As for the L, again with proving to me that trains are packed..... again, that much is obvious & is not being disputed.

The L is one of those lines that no matter how much service is put on it, riders will never be satisfied.... Know why?

Because the crowds are going Nowhere.....

Via, who said anything about being empty? I said there are trains that don't have standing passengers... How you equate that to being empty is beyond me.....

You are continuing to reinforce to me that ridership has increased on the 1..... You are still not illustrating to what extent; you are the one asking when will the MTA start adding (weekend) service.... That is what I'm questioning; the extent of the increased ridership, not that ridership hasn't increased.....

And I'm not saying high frequencies automatically means anything..... You can spin it that way if it makes making your point easier for you if you like..... What I do think though is frequencies should be based on distributed usage..... As far as stating that all 1's shouldn't go to 242nd on the weekend, fine, that's another issue.....

As far as when I use the 1 on the weekend, it varies (esp. whenever I'm comin back from NJ via 34th/penn by way of the train or at PABT by way of the bus - and making my way to the 7th av line from there)..... but I'll tell you this much, when I'm anywhere around midtown (for shopping, after fanning, w/e), I make my way right over to the 7th av line.... When I'm waiting for 2's back to brooklyn @ 42nd or 34th (for the sake of discussion, it's usually around 5,6,7PM), I notice the 1 trains that pass by (either direction).... yeh, NB direction sees heavier usage than SB, not disputing that.... Hell, if I'm at 42nd, I take what comes first (it's usually the 1, then I get off at 14th [or S. Ferry itself if I feel like taking the express bus back home]) b/c I don't like waiting on that particular platform.... if I'm at 34th, I just walk over to the front of the SB 2 train.....

When I'm coming from Westchester & take the bee line bus to 242nd (this is usually around 4-5pm) for the 1, yeah, I'd agree that ridership picks up at 145th... it's max load I'd say is at 59th, then pax start to dissipate from there (although you have another set that boards at 34th & 42nd)...... What I will say is during the early afternoon hours is when the 1 sees heavy usage b/w 34th & points south......

In any case, I'm seeing nothing that warrants a service increase on the line during its peak periods.... I'm just not.

As for the L, again with proving to me that trains are packed..... again, that much is obvious & is not being disputed.

The L is one of those lines that no matter how much service is put on it, riders will never be satisfied.... Know why?

Because the crowds are going Nowhere.....

LOL... I asked earlier for someone to post stats of weekend ridership and no one has yet... If I knew how much I would've posted it by now...

I am speaking from years of riding the subway and personal observation. It seems to me as if some more service is warranted on certain lines based on observations, but hey I could be wrong. You also never got back to me about my comment about perhaps adjusting the schedule on the (1) so that trains could be more even in terms of crowding. The way I see it they should short turn some of the (1)s then so that they can handle the crowds from 137th to 59st because that's where there is a problem at times.

As for the (L) train it isn't a question of being happy. It's a question of need... If the ridership is there, then so should the service. I get the feeling that you've got this sort of thinking that because it's the weekend that service is what it is. Is a train every 5 minutes good for the weekends?? Sure, in fact it's damn good, but if you still have crowding the fact that the train runs every 5 minutes should be immaterial. Times are changing and the (MTA) needs to change with the times.

I wonder if VG8 would have created this thread for more weekend subway service especially on the (1) if he still lived on SI? Again for now, there been some good arguments (i.e just limit Weekend GO's) and those who support 7-8 minute headways on the (1)(C) and (2) say between 4-9pm Saturdays. So this thread will be kept a little while. Guys you will know when this topic has jumped the "shark" lol.

I wonder if VG8 would have created this thread for more weekend subway service especially on the (1) if he still lived on SI? Again for now, there been some good arguments (i.e just limit Weekend GO's) and those who support 7-8 minute headways on the (1)(C) and (2) say between 4-9pm Saturdays. So this thread will be kept a little while. Guys you will know when this topic has jumped the "shark" lol.

What difference does it make that I live in Riverdale now? I will be using the (1) tonight for a tutoring session and that will be it for me going up there for a while. The express bus is my main form of transportation to and from the city. These observations on weekend subway service I've made months ago and it has nothing to do with me moving to Riverdale. Case in point is that I have yet to use any local Bronx bus to get to the (1) train and I doubt that I ever will either because the trip is too much of a schlepp for my taste. I use either MetroNorth or the express bus, so isn't like the (1) train has suddenly become my "primary" means of transportation or like I would benefit so much from the increased service. Same thing with my suggestion for the (B) train on the weekends. I just see these suggestions as good for riders overall.

What difference does it make that I live in Riverdale now? I will be using the (1) tonight for a tutoring session and that will be it for me going up there for a while. The express bus is my main form of transportation to and from the city. These observations on weekend subway service I've made months ago and it has nothing to do with me moving to Riverdale. Case in point is that I have yet to use any local Bronx bus to get to the (1) train and I doubt that I ever will either because the trip is too much of a schlepp for my taste. I use either MetroNorth or the express bus, so isn't like the (1) train has suddenly become my "primary" means of transportation or like I would benefit so much from the increased service. Same thing with my suggestion for the (B) train on the weekends. I just see these suggestions as good for riders overall.

And I admit i only use the (Q) on weekends when i visit the city maybe every month or 2 to see old friends/cousins in CI. With that said unless the (Q) is way late i.e over 20 minutes, I never seen rush hour crushloaded SRO on the weekends. Yes it's there standees but i more often see the (1) and (2) more crushloaded regularly on the weekends. And the (Q) usually Brooklyn-Bound gets seats almost all the time *past Church Avenue.* Not sure you want a seat on the (Q) but it's only busy between Union Sq. and Church Ave but not often crushloaded.

Again maybe the (MTA) needs to expand the fast track program overnights and even consider it in the outerboros, if their are suitable alternatives. i.e (D) when the (4) is closed and vice versa. That way they can limit weekend GO's. IMO i think just light increases and most important *INCREASE BATTERY EXPRESS RUNS especially on outerboro lines like the (Q)(F)(2) etc when it late and trains are right behind to prevent train bunching.

Just my takes.

LOL... I asked earlier for someone to post stats of weekend ridership and no one has yet... If I knew how much I would've posted it by now...

I am speaking from years of riding the subway and personal observation. It seems to me as if some more service is warranted on certain lines based on observations, but hey I could be wrong. You also never got back to me about my comment about perhaps adjusting the schedule on the (1) so that trains could be more even in terms of crowding. The way I see it they should short turn some of the (1)s then so that they can handle the crowds from 137th to 59st because that's where there is a problem at times.

As for the (L) train it isn't a question of being happy. It's a question of need... If the ridership is there, then so should the service. I get the feeling that you've got this sort of thinking that because it's the weekend that service is what it is. Is a train every 5 minutes good for the weekends?? Sure, in fact it's damn good, but if you still have crowding the fact that the train runs every 5 minutes should be immaterial. Times are changing and the (MTA) needs to change with the times.

I'm also speaking from personal experience & years of riding the subway.... I couldn't sit up here & say/believe ridership has increased on the weekends if I didn't......

See, a schedule adjustment I can agree with (I think it's a matter of when the trains are arriving, not inadequate service on the 1)....

Most of what you were directing to me is about increasing service though..... I mean we can all suggest service increases to try to ease crowding to make life easier.....

I get the feeling that you've got this sort of thinking that because it's the weekend that service is what it is.

No, I just don't believe that trains are as crowded as you're portraying they are (crowded, enough to increase service).....

There's a reason I asked you how much more service you want to put on the L.... Again, no matter how much service you put on the L, riders would not be satisfied.... You can increase the service to every 4, 3 mins or w/e & trains would still be crowded.... You say it's a question of need, I beg to differ & will tell you this much - You start increasing service on a subway line that already runs every 5 mins & that's when the complaints of delays start up.... Increasing service will only make that worse.....

I'd rather be on a crushloaded train that's moving, than to be on a lesser crowded train snailing its way from station to station......

And I admit i only use the (Q) on weekends when i visit the city maybe every month or 2 to see old friends/cousins in CI. With that said unless the (Q) is way late i.e over 20 minutes, I never seen rush hour crushloaded SRO on the weekends. Yes it's there standees but i more often see the (1) and (2) more crushloaded regularly on the weekends. And the (Q) usually Brooklyn-Bound gets seats almost all the time *past Church Avenue.* Not sure you want a seat on the (Q) but it's only busy between Union Sq. and Church Ave but not often crushloaded.

Again maybe the (MTA) needs to expand the fast track program overnights and even consider it in the outerboros, if their are suitable alternatives. i.e (D) when the (4) is closed and vice versa. That way they can limit weekend GO's. IMO i think just light increases and most important *INCREASE BATTERY EXPRESS RUNS especially on outerboro lines like the (Q)(F)(2) etc when it late and trains are right behind to prevent train bunching.

Just my takes.

For the Brighton Line I would have the (B) running so that folks have quicker service. I mean some folks do work on Saturdays so it would be appreciated. I would at least have it run on Saturdays and see how usage was and then go from there. The (Q) isn't terrible in terms of crowding, but having the (B) running would help and it would give folks more options. Oh, and get rid of those bloody G.O.'s on the weekends on the (Q). Extremely annoying!! It takes long enough as it is to get from Sheepshead Bay to the city. They don't want to run the express buses on the weekends, but then they don't want folks to have decent subway service either. <_<

I'm also speaking from personal experience & years of riding the subway.... I couldn't sit up here & say/believe ridership has increased on the weekends if I didn't......

See, a schedule adjustment I can agree with (I think it's a matter of when the trains are arriving, not inadequate service on the 1)....

Most of what you were directing to me is about increasing service though..... I mean we can all suggest service increases to try to ease crowding to make life easier.....

There's a reason I asked you how much more service you want to put on the L....... Again, no matter how much service you put on the L, riders would not be satisfied.... You can increase the service to every 4, 3 mins or w/e & trains would still be crowded.... You say it's a question of need.... I beg to differ & will tell you this much - You start increasing service on a subway line that already runs every 5 mins & that's when the complaints of delays start up.... Increasing service will only make that worse.....

Okay, on the (1) fair enough then, though personally I believe some trains should be short turned to deal with the crowding from 34th to 137th street.

As for the (L), so then the crowds I see on the (L) is just my imagination? You seem to be dismissing the overcrowding on the line because it has high frequencies, which doesn't make sense. I mean it isn't an issue of them wanting more frequent service. The issue is the trains being packed and the line needing relief, so of course you provide more service by increasing the frequencies. What other suggestions would you have then to relieve overcrowding on the (L) during the weekends because the people are going to keep coming.

I take the (1) just about every day....the main reason why it's "crowded" is because everyone wants to ride in either the first, fifth or sixth car...I always go to the last car and alas there is always a seat (several actually lol)

Is that what it is?? I purposely try to just pick a car (any car) that isn't crowded and I don't have such luck. Where do you use it to and from if I may ask?

As for the (L), so then the crowds I see on the (L) is just my imagination? You seem to be dismissing the overcrowding on the line because it has high frequencies, which doesn't make sense. I mean it isn't an issue of them wanting more frequent service. The issue is the trains being packed and the line needing relief, so of course you provide more service by increasing the frequencies. What other suggestions would you have then to relieve overcrowding on the (L) during the weekends because the people are going to keep coming.

That's your incorrect interpretation of it; I'm not dismissing the overcrowding.... I just don't agree that weekend service should be increased because of it... You still haven't answered how much more service you want to run on the L to relieve overcrowding or w/e.....

To be honest, on the weekends during peak usage on the L, I don't think that overcrowding can be relieved.... And you're absolutely right, the people are gonna keep coming..... You increase service to every 3 or 4 mins. and overcrowding would still occur.... It's not a dismissal of anything..... Said people are just gonna have to make their way onto the train anyway they can.... You can't keep increasing service just because ridership increases - especially the lower the headways get.... You end up compromising service on a subway line when you resort to that, especially on a line like the L that has no middle track or express counterpart or w/e... Are we really gonna sacrifice less crowded trains for a decrease in free-flowing service.....

That's your incorrect interpretation of it; I'm not dismissing the overcrowding.... I just don't agree that weekend service should be increased because of it... You still haven't answered how much more service you want to run on the L to relieve overcrowding or w/e.....

To be honest, on the weekends during peak usage on the L, I don't think that overcrowding can be relieved.... And you're absolutely right, the people are gonna keep coming...... Said people are just gonna have to make their way onto the train anyway they can.... You can't keep increasing service just because ridership increases - especially the lower the headways are.... You end up compromising service on a subway line when you resort to that.....

Yeah, but that isn't the answer either. An alternative must be created. I personally think that some sort of bus service could be run. Charge a premium fare for it for those who don't want to put up with the overcrowding on the subway. As for the headways, as I said before the headways aren't the issue. The crowding is.

For the Brighton Line I would have the (B) running so that folks have quicker service. I mean some folks do work on Saturdays so it would be appreciated. I would at least have it run on Saturdays and see how usage was and then go from there.

The (B) is one of the least crowded lines in the system on weekdays, as far as I know. IMO, this is another example of how service increases on just about any line would make a few people happy. Do you really think that weekend (B) ridership would justify the cost of running it? Do you really think it will attract new subway riders? Because if it only attracts current (Q) riders, then it will be a 100% loss for the MTA.

Oh, and get rid of those bloody G.O.'s on the weekends on the (Q). Extremely annoying!! It takes long enough as it is to get from Sheepshead Bay to the city.

Every subway rider wishes that they could get rid of every single G.O. Night G.O.s would be be better, but the system's full of weekend G.O.s. The only reason why this one seems especially bad to you is because it's on a line that you ride frequently.

They don't want to run the express buses on the weekends, but then they don't want folks to have decent subway service either. <_<

What? The MTA might make dumb decisions, but they don't deliberately make your commute miserable. Unfortunately, if they got rid of weekend G.O.s, then you'd have one fewer thing to complain about, and that would be the end of the world...

The (B) is one of the least crowded lines in the system on weekdays, as far as I know. IMO, this is another example of how service increases on just about any line would make a few people happy. Do you really think that weekend (B) ridership would justify the cost of running it? Do you really think it will attract new subway riders? Because if it only attracts current (Q) riders, then it will be a 100% loss for the MTA.Every subway rider wishes that they could get rid of every single G.O. Night G.O.s would be be better, but the system's full of weekend G.O.s. The only reason why this one seems especially bad to you is because it's on a line that you ride frequently. What? The MTA might make dumb decisions, but they don't deliberately make your commute miserable. Unfortunately, if they got rid of weekend G.O.s, then you'd have one fewer thing to complain about, and that would be the end of the world...

That's why I said run it on Saturdays as a test to see how it works and I also suggested cutting back (Q) service slightly too. I mean they increased the (B) to run longer during the week so why not try it out on Saturdays? If the casino plan goes through in Coney Island, then certainly it could get attract new riders.

As for the G.O.'s with the amount of service disruptions that the Brighton riders have had they should do everything possible to get the G.O.'s done on that line as quickly as possible.

That's why I said run it on Saturdays as a test to see how it works and I also suggested cutting back (Q) service slightly too.

Okay, that sounds like a good idea to test it out. But I'm not mad at the MTA for not doing it yet, because I don't think that it would be successful.

If the casino plan goes through in Coney Island, then certainly it could get attract new riders.

Really? I think that 6 Av riders would rather take the (D) directly to Coney Island than to take the (B) to Brighton Beach and then switch to the (Q). And we already discussed the problems with extending the (B) to Coney Island.

Yeah, but that isn't the answer either. An alternative must be created. I personally think that some sort of bus service could be run. Charge a premium fare for it for those who don't want to put up with the overcrowding on the subway. As for the headways, as I said before the headways aren't the issue. The crowding is.

It doesn't matter if you're not outright saying the headways are the issue... fact of the matter is, you are advocating that service be increased on the L to relieve the overcrowding, are you not?..... and I'm asking you how much more service do you plan on adding on that line to relieve crowding.... headways don't have to be the issue to answer/opinionate on that......

Anyway, If there was a bridge connecting Brooklyn & Manhattan at 14th st w/ bus service running along it from 14th/8th to somewhere in Williamsburg or Greenpoint, yes, I think that would relieve overcrowding on the L train to an extent...... Of course, you still would have those that are already "in the system" (so to speak) that are xferring to the L from other lines..... these riders aren't/wouldn't leave the system to take a bus.....

Guest Lance

Just interjecting here, don't expect any tests of weekend Brighton express service any time soon. Not with the ongoing track work along the line which, if I recall correctly, will last until the end of the year.

Archived