2012 MLB Thread

Shortline Bus

Just saw this. The rumored winner of MLB's new National TV contract rights in the United States is? Fox and TBS.

This info USA Today from couple of days ago, that Fox and TBS have agreed to a 8-year tv contract extension thru end of 2021. Thus this is a blow for Comcast's NBC-TV and NBC Sports Net who was in a serious challenge to take over from TBS/Turner to get a part of the TV contract i.e Thursday Night and World Series games for NBC.

http://www.freep.com...l|text|Sports|p

It also helps that Fox boss and former Dodgers Owner Rupert Mudrock is a close friend of Bud Selig.

However with the world series now on Fox until 2021, i almost a sure bet Tim McCarver will be retired as an Analyst. My pick would be Ron Darling to be Joe Buck's Partner for next partner. Reactions?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it should be Gio Gonzalez... its hard for me to pick a pitcher on a team playing for absolutely nothing at all.. over a pitcher who is trying to pitch Washington to their first playoff berth since 1933. Sorry, but that is the way I see it. I don't just look at stats.

Buddy if you read my posts before Washington just offical secured a playoff spot(not NL East yet)couple of days ago. So you mean make the world series since 1933. :D

FYI. O's also just lost a while ago to Red Sox.

I think it should be Gio Gonzalez... its hard for me to pick a pitcher on a team playing for absolutely nothing at all.. over a pitcher who is trying to pitch Washington to their first playoff berth since 1933. Sorry, but that is the way I see it. I don't just look at stats.

I don't remember 1996 as well as I used to, but Andy Pettitte lost the cy young to Pat Hetgen? of Toronto. That seemed like Andy's best chance to win it only for some guy on a team that didn't make it to the playoffs to get it instead. So I won't say Dickey is out of the running. I am leaning more for Dickey to win because the guy is having the year of his life after so long as a journeyman.

I don't remember 1996 as well as I used to, but Andy Pettitte lost the cy young to Pat Hetgen? of Toronto. That seemed like Andy's best chance to win it only for some guy on a team that didn't make it to the playoffs to get it instead. So I won't say Dickey is out of the running. I am leaning more for Dickey to win because the guy is having the year of his life after so long as a journeyman.

Dont forget more recent 'king felix" winning the AL Cy Young with only 13 wins in a full non-strike season. And on a 2nd division club as well.

Yes Pat Hentgen won the Cy Young in 1996 despite the Blue Jays finishing 4th and 14 games under .500. I'm going for Dickey to win it. Let Gonzalez win it next year

I agree, Dickey should win it. I mean, since when have you ever seen knuckleball pitchers have a great walk rate? Dickey has the strikeouts and innings pitched. Not to mention the ERA and the stupid wins stat that voters keep their eyes on.

Looks like a wrap! In one of the biggest sports tv contracts(outside of of course the NFL)in world history, MLB will approve a new 8-year contract extension with Fox, ESPN and TBS for $8.5 Billion for 8 years starting with the 2014 season for US TV rights. This is a blow for Comcast's NBC Sports Net who was hoping to take over either TBS Sunday afternoon and or at least get a share of the MLB Divisional playoffs.

In addition Speed TV (the NASCAR/Fomula One themed racing channel)will be renamed the Fox Sports Channel. So like it or not, Joe Buck will be calling Fox MLB games at least thru the 2021 world series. reactions?

Just saw this. The rumored winner of MLB's new National TV contract rights in the United States is? Fox and TBS.

This info USA Today from couple of days ago, that Fox and TBS have agreed to a 8-year tv contract extension thru end of 2021. Thus this is a blow for Comcast's NBC-TV and NBC Sports Net who was in a serious challenge to take over from TBS/Turner to get a part of the TV contract i.e Thursday Night and World Series games for NBC.

http://www.freep.com...l|text|Sports|p

It also helps that Fox boss and former Dodgers Owner Rupert Mudrock is a close friend of Bud Selig.

However with the world series now on Fox until 2021, i almost a sure bet Tim McCarver will be retired as an Analyst. My pick would be Ron Darling to be Joe Buck's Partner for next partner. Reactions?

Joe Buck is nothing compared to his father.

It also helped Joe Buck kissed Fox-TV Boss Rupert Mudrock's ring to get the #1 MLB play-play and late lead NFL announcing job as a 26-year old kid with limited experience then in 1995. :D That for another discussion though.

Back to on the field. Yanks beat the Twinkies 6-3 as Andy looked really good in his next to last start of the regular season,

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-andy-pettitte-beat-minnesota-twins-6-3-opener-three-game-set-target-field-article-1.1167558

A shame too, this could've been the chance to pad that slim lead. It looks like a neck and neck race for first to the end. Yankees win/O's win and vice versa.

If this was last year both the Yanks and orioles would have just relaxed with both making the divisional playoff round. Now winning the ALEAST and getting the #2 seed (home field in that series as Texas will probably be the #1 seed)so this will alot of fun this last week.

Well my vote for Manager of the Year in MLB has to be Buck Showwalter IMO. Even though Davey Johnson deserves some mention, Showwalter has done the best coaching job of his career. At best most analysts and oddsmakers had Baltimore finishing at best in 4th place. Now they in good shape to host the AL Wild card game.

For Wed 9/26/12 the Yankees beat up on the Twins. While at Camden Yards behind 7 home runs, the Birds crush the Blue Jays. And in AL Central, the Tigers took over sole lead of AL Central as the Chisox lost. And the AL west is getting tight with Rangers losing and the A's and Angels winning.

This is going to be a wild final week of the 2012 regular season.

This Big Apple MLB update presented by Ben Bradson Hyundai in South Brunswick, NJ. Home of the stupid Brad Benson WFAN radio commericals and 30-minute to get your approved for a new or used Hyunadi.

Well mixed big for local NYC baseball clubs today 9/27/12. Yankees on final road trip in Toronto lose to the Jays 6-0. While the Birds closed the gap in AL East.

Meanwhile RA Dickey finished the storybook season of his career winning his 20th game as Mets beat the Pirates in 2012 Citifield Finale. Reactions?

Buddy (YankeesPwnmets) I know my Mets friends like Goji and Subway station may hate me for saying it. I am pulling for RA but I think Gio will win the Cy Young. Gio and not Strasburg has been DC "ace" starter this year. Dickey is hurt mostly by fact Gonzalez has almost the same numbers. And most important the Nats are a playoff team.

It took a while, but no-hitter number seven has arrived! Homer Bailey threw the seventh no-no this season, shutting out A.J. Burnett and the Pittsburgh Pirates, 1-0. It's the first no-hitter by a Red since Tom Browning's perfect game in 1988 against Los Angeles. It's also the first time Pittsburgh has been no-hit since St. Louis's Bob Gibson in 1971.

It took a while, but no-hitter number seven has arrived! Homer Bailey threw the seventh no-no this season, shutting out A.J. Burnett and the Pittsburgh Pirates, 1-0. It's the first no-hitter by a Red since Tom Browning's perfect game in 1988 against Los Angeles. It's also the first time Pittsburgh has been no-hit since St. Louis's Bob Gibson in 1971.

It's subject to change but my pre playoff guess is that the Reds and Texas Rangers will meet in the 2012 world series.

Regarding seven no-hitters... I remember B35's comment about no-hitters.... I very much agree with him... Too many no-hitters... It's starting to loose that excitement to see one... 2012 has definitely been the year for pitchers...

LOL at the Boston fail sox being currently last with 21.5 games behind...

Tough loss for the Yanks today though... Still with that same issue that's been plaguing the team: Not scoring with RISP... It was something like 2-10 with RISP today....

Buddy (YankeesPwnmets) I know my Mets friends like Goji and Subway station may hate me for saying it. I am pulling for RA but I think Gio will win the Cy Young. Gio and not Strasburg has been DC "ace" starter this year. Dickey is hurt mostly by fact Gonzalez has almost the same numbers. And most important the Nats are a playoff team.

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THE NATIONALS ARE A PLAYOFF TEAM OR NOT.

Robert Allan Dickey is clearly the better pitcher, the Cy Young Award is for the best pitcher in the league. I really don't mean to be mean SB but I disagree with your concept. Remember Zack Greinke when he won the Cy Young in 2009 with the Royals? Felix Hernandez in 2010 with an awful Mariners team who couldn't win but had a 13-12 record.

I get that there are people advocating for Gio, since he's having a great year, but what about Johnny Cueto? Dickey has more strikeouts, more innings pitched, and a lower ERA than Gonzalez. I'm pulling for the Nats but I think Dickey deserves the Cy Young award, he has been that good and since Win Loss records are meaningless (Felix proved it in 2010), Dickey has won 20 games as a Met for the first time since Frank Viola. And the Mets are not a good team, not yet.

Archived