2012 MLB Thread

Shortline Bus

In their opener of their NLDS series, between 2 world series contenders, the Reds beats the Giants in the Bay area, 5-2. This despite Cincy starter Joey Cueto. leaving early in the game due to back problems. Game ended little after 1am Eastern (NY) time which is a disgrace since it's involves an East Coast team in the Reds. No wonder MLB has a hard time getting young kids to watch with games ending so late. With the early playoff round games on TBS, thought games could be scheduled at a better hour. That what i say for now.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Totally agreed. I know it's petty or taking the easy way out, but I hope the Yankees intentionally walks some of the O's batters. Why let them beat you if there's an open base? Walk the guy, don't give him a chance to beat you like with 2004 and Ortiz.

I too would've prefered Texas as they limped into the playoffs. Baltimore is still hot and dangerous. I don't understand why everyone was so worried about Texas, the Yankees were able to go toe to toe with them and could've done better if they had better run support in the Darvish v Kuroda game. People were also over blowing the travel issue.

Depends on the pitcher who'd be doing the intentional walks.... In other words, you don't want someone like say, Nova, putting men on base freely - Because ya can't like his chances in getting big outs, especially with men on base....

Anyway, thank you (about the Texas' offense).... guess they're worried about what texas has done to the yanks in the past or something (much like the fear some yankees fans have of facing the tigers or the angels in a playoff series).....

Word..... Any traveling issue w/i sports in general, I don't even wanna hear about....

Well Josh Hamilton goes out in a bust. I wonder what team will shell out $200 million at him. As for the Orioles, I think they have a shot to beat the Yankees. Something tells me the Cardinals are gonna win it all again. Take that Albert!

Yep, the orioles have a legitimate shot to beat the yankees.... I think the yanks will just squeeze out of the ALDS & end up losing to whoever comes out of the other ALDS series, in the ALCS....

About the Cardinals.... So it's not just me....

I have that feeling too, to tell the truth - especially after that WC game....

I think the Reds are going to win it all. They have enough offense to get clutch hits when they need it and more than enough middle relief to get the job done.

In the playoffs, I don't count on the reds for anything; would not be surprised if they got beat by the giants in this series.....

I just tuned in to the game. If it's not my team, I don't care who's pitching.

heh.... If it aint the yankees, I don't care who's playing, to be perfectly honest ;)

(hell, I totally forgot about the Tigers/A's series)

So B35 (Bro) what is your MLB division series picks? And regarding Josh Hamilton, I say it's 50/50 at best he stays in Texas. With his personal issues i.e recovering drug addict and acoholic, not too many places he be a fit at. Taking away his personal issues, Hamilton would be a great fit in Fenway with the Red Sox as say a DH to replace Ortiz. However the New England media would shread him alive.

IMO if Hamilton left the Rangers, he better off signing with say the Cardinals or Reds. Two midwest teams with not as intense media atttention as NY, Boston, LA or even Texas(Dallas area). And most important not an intense markets where he can get into trouble with nightlife/clubs and booze.

I wasn't a baseball fan then, but I know very well about Maier's (not called) interference.

Also, moving to a different course, if you look closely at the A's right sleeve, there's a black circular patch to honor Pat Neshek's son, who died one day after birth. Here's a story from the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.c...bys-death.html?

The A's-Tigers match is going on right now on MLB Network.

Anyone remember Jeffrey Maier? He played a huge factor the last time the Yankees and Orioles faced each other in the playoffs. Not saying it will happen now of course

Maier? Who is he lol? :o Oh yes I remember now. Well lets go to the videotape lol. In the 1996 ALCS. Even 15-plus years later, O's fans are bitter about this.

And briefly on this Tigers/A's game on MLB network. This is why all playoff game should be on the local teams 'free tv stations' (following NFL when games are on ESPN and NFL Network)since MLB Network is not on basic cable in most of America.

This MLB update is presented by McDonalds. In game (2) of their series, Tigers beat the A's 5-4 to take 2 games to none lead.

I really dislike this 2-3 games format in the division series. It favors the lower seeds alot and chances for upsets. Another reason it(the extra wild card round) should been started next year in 2013 IMO.

This MLB update is presented by McDonalds. In game (2) of their series, Tigers beat the A's 5-4 to take 2 games to none lead.

I really dislike this 2-3 games format in the division series. It favors the lower seeds alot and chances for upsets. Another reason it(the extra wild card round) should been started next year in 2013 IMO.

Regardless of what's happening in any particular series so far, it looks to me like the MLB is trying to be different - and IMO it's hurting the sport.... First this new wildcard format & now opening 1st round playoff series' @ the home field of the team with the lower seed.... They did this nonsense to account for the extra game that now has to be played in the WC round....

Sacrifice opening the 1st round series @ the higher seeded team's facility, in exchange for more "exciting" wildcard races...

You can't draw this stupid shit up....

What's good w/ the yankee game right now.... don't tell me it's under rain delay....

I'm on TBS right now, and it's showing the 9th inning of that cards/gnats game....

What next, the playoffs ending in November? Hell, let's put in 2 more wild card teams

I'm sayin though....

What next, the playoffs ending in November? Hell, let's put in 2 more wild card teams

Yup. Way things are going since all sports leagues including baseball are SLAVES to TV your statement, Q43 is not that far fetched. I am sure Bud Selig and his MLB Owners would be stupid enough to pimp in the near future of having the world series ending on Thanksgiving. Right now in some recent years, Game (7) of the world series has ended around Nov. 1-2.

FYI. Still a rain delay in Baltimore as of this writing. Even with a rain out tonight, the O's and Yankees are so close it's not a big deal to play 4-5 days in a row since they been doing it all season. Only negative is the pitching rotation for both teams could be shot for the ALCS round.

@ ShortlineBus: It's Johnny Cueto, not Joey Cueto (not to be confused with Joey Votto).

So the Tigers won, now they're up 2-0.

Yankee game started late, now they're up 1-0 against the Orioles on top of the third as I write this.

Also Nationals came back against the Cardinals to win the game 3-2.

@ ShortlineBus: It's Johnny Cueto, not Joey Cueto (not to be confused with Joey Votto).

So the Tigers won, now they're up 2-0.

Yankee game started late, now they're up 1-0 against the Orioles on top of the third as I write this.

Also Nationals came back against the Cardinals to win the game 3-2.

woops my bad. :o

And did not know Yankee game was on (still thought it was in rain delay). Was watching Saints/Bolts NFL game. Thanks for update buddy.

Great win by the Yankees. Now, about Game 2: What genius at MLB decided to schedule the Yankees ALDS game at the same time as the Jets' Monday Night Football?

My guess is because Monday Night Football is on ESPN, a cable station, it's not as big of a ratings threat as it would have been if MNF was still on network television.

My guess is because Monday Night Football is on ESPN, a cable station, it's not as big of a ratings threat as it would have been if MNF was still on network television.

Even so, MNF on ESPN is still beating in ratings even LCS games on Fox and TNT. Not to mention Sunday Night Football on NBC beating in ratings in some recent years (depending on matchup) the World Series as well. Thus the NFL is king at least in TV ratings the most popular sports league in US by a long mile.

Now can they please shut up about Jim Johnson....

I think Jim Johnson snooped in the NYCTF earlier this morning and read your comment. :P

Baltimore evens up the series with a 3-2 win. Jim Johnson records a 1-2-3 inning to seal it. A-Rod struck out to end it, one of the few times Johnson struck out a batter this season.

I think Jim Johnson snooped in the NYCTF earlier this morning and read your comment. :P

Baltimore evens up the series with a 3-2 win. Jim Johnson records a 1-2-3 inning to seal it. A-Rod struck out to end it, one of the few times Johnson struck out a batter this season.

lol.... prolly should've kept my mouth shut....

But it's rare that you see closers blow back to back games anyway.....

I caught the game from the bottom of the 8th on.... looking @ the line score, both teams had two errors, so I'm guessing it was one of those sloppy, grind it out games..... The winning formula to beat the yankees as of late is to keep them close.... Orioles actually did that in the first game too, but johnson imploded in the 9th..... He did his job today though to close it out.....

lol.... prolly should've kept my mouth shut....

But it's rare that you see closers blow back to back games anyway.....

I caught the game from the bottom of the 8th on.... looking @ the line score, both teams had two errors, so I'm guessing it was one of those sloppy, grind it out games..... The winning formula to beat the yankees as of late is to keep them close.... Orioles actually did that in the first game too, but johnson imploded in the 9th..... He did his job today though to close it out.....

Bro Yankees are lucky they not down 0-2 heading back to NYC. That what i say for now.

Archived