The Official SPEED Thread

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A slight bend that obscures vision. And between Christopher St and 14st is the location in question, not the station itself.

I see. I still think it should be at least GT35...I'm pretty sure that those timers clear at 25-30 MPH. Are there a lot of visibility-related timers (I sadly think of W 4 St n/b on the (A) in our near future)?

The fastest under-water tunnels in the system: (B Division only...)

14th Street-North 7th, (L).

60th Street, (N), (Q), (R), (W)

Rutgers, (F)

53rd Street, (E), (M), (V)

63rd Street, (F)

I think that's right...

53rd street is in the Queens bound direction only. The Manhattan bound track is timered to GT35 due to the curvature of the track. After the train clears the timers, It'll max out at around 42-45 since it's already 2/3s of the way down the slope.

53rd street is in the Queens bound direction only. The Manhattan bound track is timered to GT35 due to the curvature of the track. After the train clears the timers, It'll max out at around 42-45 since it's already 2/3s of the way down the slope.

Queens-bound 53rd also has a timer, they just clear (barely) on the post because it is exactly at 35 and the train averages exactly 35 in the timed period (enters the block at 31, leaves the block at 39, average 35). You can't see the following signal at the end of the block quite yet, so really you're relying on experience in the area rather than sight that indeed the following signal cleared. Edited by TwoTimer

The fastest under-water tunnels in the system: (B Division only...)

14th Street-North 7th, (L).

60th Street, (N), (Q), (R), (W)

Rutgers, (F)

53rd Street, (E), (M), (V)

63rd Street, (F)

I think that's right...

I agree with the (L) that tunnel is FAST!

53rd Street only Queens direction as others stated

63rd Street is fast

I haven't been on Rutgers in about a month but I remember a fast ride

The 60 St tube is only fast if you are on an (N) or (Q) because the (R) has to make a turn to get to Queens Plaza, therefore it isn't very fast...

I'm referring to the express portion between Queens Plaza/21 St-Queensbridge and 71 Av, in either direction. Sorry for not making it clear.

I'm going to edit that to 36st - 71Av, as I'm sure you're probably not interested in what happens after an (E) or (F) leaves there (E going straight, F down the hill).

Northbound: couple of timers (32, 32) situated 2/3 thru the Northern Blvd cut. After Roosevelt, one after Elmhurst (33, 32).

Southbound: a string down the hill into 63rd Dr (28,28,32,40+), then again after Woodhaven (25, 35). A high-speed string after the high speed curve (32,32,32). Veterans +R160 equipment have this down pat, and often one may not even be aware they are going thru timed sections.

Edited by TwoTimer

Queens-bound 53rd also has a timer, they just clear (barely) on the post because it is exactly at 35 and the train averages exactly 35 in the timed period (enters the block at 31, leaves the block at 39, average 35). You can't see the following signal at the end of the block quite yet, so really you're relying on experience in the area rather than sight that indeed the following signal cleared.

Really? That's interesting since I don't recall seeing a timer on that section of track when I was railfanning the Arnine train back in December. But what you said makes sense

Edited by Fan Railer

I'm going to edit that to 36st - 71Av, as I'm sure you're probably not interested in what happens after an (E) or (F) leaves there (E going straight, F down the hill).

Northbound: couple of timers (32, 32) situated 2/3 thru the Northern Blvd cut. After Roosevelt, one after Elmhurst (33, 32).

Southbound: a string down the hill into 63rd Dr (28,28,32,40+), then again after Woodhaven (25, 35). A high-speed string after the high speed curve (32,32,32). Veterans +R160 equipment have this down pat, and often one may not even be aware they are going thru timed sections.

So, southbound means Manhattan bound and northbound means Jamaica-bound, right?