The Official SPEED Thread

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope. Let me make this clear: 65 MPH is NOT possible anywhere in the system. Let alone the southbound CPW express, which really isn't THAT fast, even without timers. I'm guessing 40-45 max without the timers. 50-55 may be possible northbound with no timers, but not southbound. Maybe 60 MPH would be possible in the 60 St tube with no timers, but that area has a HUGE downhill, which the southbound CPW express lacks...

He was talking about OpenBVE, calm the hell down!

woah , no need to yell at me. Im just stating that the current openbve routes aren't the most accurate as they don't contain any timers on the A line. since 168 to 145 doesn't have timers in the route, is mostly Downhill and if you get a un-tuned train in the simulator then yea you can hit 60+ in that section . Im not talking about real life. Of course you can't hit 70 in the subway, maybe like you stated, in the 60 street tube you can hit a high speed.

Again this is about the simulator not real life . Now back to the speed thread . B)

He was talking about OpenBVE, calm the hell down!

Sorry, you're right...I thought you were trying to say that those speeds were possible in real life (which it sounded like at first). I wasn't very upset, really, but in any case, I should have calmed down...

Well, here's the speed in the 60 St tube, taken by FanRailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcPDbC_tO2Q&feature=relmfu

45 MPH coming in the station. 65 MPH was the max for my stretch. I had the R44 BETA at 75 MPH coming into the Express on Carrol St. And I took the R42 and hit 80 MPH from 168 St to 145 St.

TwoTimer have you ever had anything Express on the (A)(F)(G) past Smith St on the Viaduct? This is not really to see the speed but I was just curious.

The current alignment (unless they changed it again) puts everything on the express after Carroll. The timer that's on the express track is outside of 4Av station so the timer could be ignored. I had a R160 at 43 entering 4Av, but of course I ignored a GT30 in the process.

Really? Drag OpenBVE into this? Ok, so here are my 2 cents on the matter:

OpenBVE physics are only as accurate as you yourself make them. It is quite easy to edit the train physics if you know the coding correctly, and I have accordingly modified all my personal NYCT rolling stock so that propulsion cuts out at 50, and the accel curve falls below 0.5 - 1 mphps after 25-30 mph. That makes for much more realistic speed pickup in the higher ranges.

On another note, how many times has my video been posted here again? 0_o lol

Didn't know the 44s were capable of screaming like that. Thought it was only a 60-footer thing, especially prevalent in the 32s.

the 44s had similar motors to the 32s and 42s... damn I miss the 44's on the A, it's just not the same with a 46..

Didn't know the 44s were capable of screaming like that. Thought it was only a 60-footer thing, especially prevalent in the 32s.

I've never riden an (A) SB into 42nd (only an (E) ) but I always knew that was a fast entrance..

I love the sound of the train screaming :P

I've never riden an (A) SB into 42nd (only an (E) ) but I always knew that was a fast entrance..

I love the sound of the train screaming :P

Same here. Once I remember waiting on the n/b platform to watch an (A) fly in, but was only disappointed by a slow operator... Another thing I dislike too, boarding an (A) with an operator you'd think is fast at any station north of Nostrand, only to be disappointed by him braking at the timers by Franklin.

The (A) has some slow patches and fast patches, more extreme than the IRT I'm pretty sure. It's not just the timers; there are a lot of steep upgrade and downgrade sections of the route. The (A) from 14 St to 59 St is noticeably slower because of the timers passing 23 St and 50 St, but I don't think it could exceed 35 MPH even without them, because of the upgrade. Passing 50 St was only 30 MPH before the timers were installed. CPW northbound is downgrade as has been discussed, and could be 50 MPH northbound without timers. 59 St - W 4 St is a pretty good stretch, and 45-50 MPH is possible coming southbound into 42 St.

In Brooklyn, there are a lot of steep upgrade sections, and all of the steep downgrade sections are timed. That's my judgement. Yes, the timers into Broadway Junction and Utica Av are annoying, but aside from that, it's reasonably fast (30-35 MPH generally).

If I'm correct, the IND was designed with steeper grades because the newer IND equipment in the 1930s could handle them better than IRT or BMT equipment. Thus, the IND could be built closer to the surface even if there are hills and such. Problem is, with the braking issues raised after the big crash, timers have been installed on many steep downgrades...

Well, that's what I've got to say about the (A) line.

Had me an R42 on the fictional (Q) to Perth Amboy. Hit 65 from Atlantic Av to 36 St, and 45 from 34 St to 14 St. Yet to try the R46 out and see how that works.

The R46 is uber slow compared to this, only hitting 50...

Guest Lance

Alright guys. Let's keep this thing strictly to the real subway system and not various train simulators. I think Fan Railer said it best.

OpenBVE physics are only as accurate as you yourself make them.

If you want to discuss how fast you got your openBVE train up to, make a thread in the Simulators sub-section of the Model Bus & Railroading section. Thanks for your compliance.

Guest Lance

Why do you guys always assume I'm about an inch away from locking a particular thread simply because I made a post in it? I just don't think we should be comparing real-world physics with that of openBVE or other train sims. Especially since some of the routes and trains' physics don't even come close to realism. Then there's the option (at least in BVE) to shut off derailments, so you could theoretically take a train up to 100 MPH (maybe not the new 46 or 160) without any kind of repercussions besides a lot of screeching.