The Official SPEED Thread

I've got (another) question, if anyone knows the answer:

Back when the express/local (field shunting) switch was enabled, did T/O's use the "express" setting for express runs and the "local" setting for local runs? Or did they just always keep it on "express" to make the train faster?

And I'm correct in assuming that the "local" setting meant "field shunting off" (as it always is set today), right?

Edited by TheSubwayStation

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back when the express/local (field shunting) switch was enabled, did T/O's use the "express" setting for express runs and the "local" setting for local runs? Or did they just always keep it on "express" to make the train faster?

And I'm correct in assuming that the "local" setting meant "field shunting off" (as it always is set today), right?

Damn I never knew that would affect the speed of the train. No wonder they removed it in the R32, R38, and R40 overhauls.

I'll admit the 4th ave line in it's entirty, for the enginnering know how for it's time as it was built in the early 1910's as part of the dual contracts by the city was brilliantly built in my opinion. That line was intended to be as part of the IRT system until a change of plans made the BMT/BRT the operator, since there was disagreements between the IRT and the City of NY I think.

I'm understanding from what I've read that trains can hit (almost) 50 miles an hr if it was an R160. Proof in itself.

I'm not sure what this local/express switch is. IIRC on SMEE equipment your propulsion (speed) is controlled by the master controller which has 4 positions OFF,SWITCHING,SERIES, PARALLEL. The easy way to look at it is to imagine a 3 speed auto transmission.Back in the day we callled it taking points of power. From a stop take 1 point and hold it for a moment. Take a 2nd point and pick up speed. When you're moving at about 18-20 mph take that last point of power AKA "wrap it" and you're good to go. Your only constraints at that point are signals and track conditions, including grades. Field shunting, or the lack of it, basically affected the rate of acceleration and not overall speed so mich. Signals, grades, and train spacing have a greater effect IMO.The removal of shunting is like an auto tranny slipping a little in first gear is the analogy that comes closest to what happens.

Trains at Columbus Circle arent going anywhere near as fast as those at Woodhaven

Figured so. Express trains are like *screaming* through this section on the QBL when it is not conjested at rush hour. Seems like 50 MPH speeds. Is it because of the fact that (it seems that the roadbead) may be going on a downgrade, timers giving T/Os clearance for high speeds in that section or both?

I've noticed that the trains also are going very, very fast travelling Manhattan bound after Rossevelt Ave particularly at the 65th St area....... same reason? It's interesting how the trains can go very fast through that sharp curve after 65th where the express roadbed splits from the local. Those IND architects were brilliant. (For the technology available at that time)

I'm sure if it was'nt for the timers everywhere, the entire portion of the QBL would accomidate for continuous runs at very high speeds. I'm realizing the IND was purposefully built for speed learning from how the IRT was designed I'm presuming.

I'm not sure what this local/express switch is.

I thought people said that there was a switch, that is now used to control the express/local LED signs on the (7)'s R62A, that was once used to control field shunting. Maybe I'm wrong; you know best.

It seems like while the IND has some of the longest, fastest, sections of track, its signals aren't designed for high-speed operation in some areas (like CPW).

Oh yes it is, those signals are so far apart you can easily stop a train going at 50mph at the next signal. But really now, its getting old, can we finally stop with this field shunting bit, its becoming annoying to keep answering something that's no longer there.

I thought people said that there was a switch, that is now used to control the express/local LED signs on the (7)'s R62A, that was once used to control field shunting. Maybe I'm wrong; you know best.

Yes, that is correct. There is a switch up on the panel that was no longer used, and they told us what they were, and the circuti breakers for them usually said "EnerCon" or something like that (they were for energy conservation), but we did not have to do anythign with them, yet on the 62A's it came in handy for these new LED displays

That the express runs on the Jamaica line (Nassau St route) between Marcy and Myrtle Avenues are very fast particularly as trains approach Lorimer St on the express track. I can remember when the line was exclusively R42's (and R40M's? Can't remember) and even then it was a fast run. Seems a faster run now with the NTT's for obvious reasons.

What speed? Not sure, guessing around 40 MPH in some sections with a veteran T/O behind the wheels but not faster then that since this is an elevated line. But it is fast that much I can say.

Even the express runs between Myrtle and B'way Junction when there are weekend service diversions with trains on the third middle track it seems to be a quick run.

The express runs on CPW and on Queens Bl were hailed as the best subway express runs in the world when they opened. The IND architects had spunk...

They still are as many subway systems outside of NYC don't have express tracks in the first place lol.

Septa Broad Street line, One of the EL's in Chi Town.... that's about it. And Philly & Chicago only have one line each that has express tracks.