The Official SPEED Thread

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the Subway Random Thoughts thread:

How fast do N trains travel between 36st and Atlantic ave...i swear it feels like 60mph

Manhattan-bound R160s can reach up to 50 MPH in that section. Coney Island-bound is slower; it's 43 MPH. With R68s, 47 MPH is the maximum Manhattan-bound, and 40 MPH Coney Island-bound.

Manhattan-bound R160s can reach up to 50 MPH in that section. Coney Island-bound is slower; it's 43 MPH. With R68s, 47 MPH is the maximum Manhattan-bound, and 40 MPH Coney Island-bound.

oohh i didnt know there was a speed thread lol..srry for putting in in wrong one

oohh i didnt know there was a speed thread lol..srry for putting in in wrong one

That's fine. It's perfectly okay to put it in the random thoughts thread, but since I created the speed thread, I decided to use it. Speaking of the 4 Av express, it's one of the fastest runs in the system when there are no trains ahead of you, but the (D) and (N) seem to bunch a lot, so it can get slowed down.

WHOA. R68s can hit 47? Wow I must have really underestimated them all these years. Still think the R46 is faster though.

WHOA. R68s can hit 47? Wow I must have really underestimated them all these years. Still think the R46 is faster though.

For that number, he just quoted me the other day when I stated I get up to 47 in a R68. It was one of the better ones I operated, as generally the (D) line train are crap (the ones on the (B) and maintained by CI are better). Actual speed down here is different from perceived speed.

As a response, I'm pretty sure I've posted this here before, but once again, please start at 6:55. It will show you what it looks like from the front of that train going down that express run. Seems pretty fast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=591Kn6z_SpM

As a certain person would say, "All you can say is word."

:lol:

• 1 month later...

Coasting up the hill keeps the train at the speed that clears the timer at Franklin. Any kind of wrap after that will bring it up to just a hair over 40.

Had me a (B) at 51 at Newkirk today, going up to the yard had it at 54 in the tube coming up into 161.

54, huh...requires just the right timing (wrap-wise) around the timed curve before skipping 155, I assume? The few times I've been lucky enough to ride Concourse Express trains with T/Os that "knew their timers" there were GREAT (if only they all went that fast)! Speaking of that, I have a question: how "fast" do trains typically go bypassing 167 N/B? That, to me, is the slowest stretch of the Conc Exp run (excluding the Yankee game double-switch)...

Yes, I only do it lite (slightly more conservative in service on the (D) ) and need a good train (see: 68A). Take the first timer at 20-22, as soon as it clears (and it will about 1/2 a car away), wrap. You will hit the south end of 155 in the upper 30s and the north end in the lower 40s. Its an adrenaline rush as one WON'T see the 2nd timer clear to green before you past the S, and you have NO VIEW of the associated signal about a carlength into the tube north of 155 until you're about halfway into 155, the best you can see is the light bouncing off the steel dust, with a green hue (meaning the signal cleared). No hue, full service with a halfway decent shot at stopping (I've had to do that when I took the first timer at 25, and I stopped at the entrance to the tube, about a carlength from hitting the signal).

As far as 167, I had a good train after touching the mid 50s so I actually climbed the hill down to 30, which was the first time I've done that too (not drop into the 20s). Usually its down in the mid 20's between 22-25 pending on how good the train is.

Edited by TwoTimer

Yes, I only do it lite (slightly more conservative in service on the (D) ) and need a good train (see: 68A). Take the first timer at 20-22, as soon as it clears (and it will about 1/2 a car away), wrap. You will hit the south end of 155 in the upper 30s and the north end in the lower 40s. Its an adrenaline rush as one WON'T see the 2nd timer clear to green before you past the S, and you have NO VIEW of the associated signal about a carlength into the tube north of 155 until you're about halfway into 155, the best you can see is the light bouncing off the steel dust, with a green hue (meaning the signal cleared). No hue, full service with a halfway decent shot at stopping (I've had to do that when I took the first timer at 25, and I stopped at the entrance to the tube, about a carlength from hitting the signal).

As far as 167, I had a good train after touching the mid 50s so I actually climbed the hill down to 30, which was the first time I've done that too (not drop into the 20s). Usually its down in the mid 20's between 22-25 pending on how good the train is.

I see! Thanks for the info!