NYC Subway proposals and "real world" expansion ( i.e light rail) 2012-'13

sunsetparker

Okay, I have some questions to ask guys and I am looking for some answers.

1. Why increase (R) service for its riders during the AM and PM Rush Hours when the MTA is suppose to have ANY spare cars just in case the ones in service break down and needs to be replaced by the other?

2. Why increase both (N) and (R) service? Wouldn't this jammed the 60th Street Tunnel, Lexington Avenue, and 5th Avenue stations WHERE the Broadway Line is only two-tracked?

3. Doesn't the (N) need a supplement during weekdays in Astoria so that it can run fully express when undergound and cross the Manhattan Bridge south tracks?

4. Is waiting only ten minutes even THAT long when all trains (except the (1) and (6) daytime hours only and the (7) and (L)) share tracks?

5. Instead of adding more (R) services, isn't it better to add a supplement for the Broadway and Fourth Avenue local riders so that why they have two services arriving within ten minutes AT LEAST between Lexington Avenue in Manhattan and 36th Street in Brooklyn?!...

Please answer to all my five questions because then people are going to start complaining and threaten locks if any debates are brought up...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My replies in red:

Okay, I have some questions to ask guys and I am looking for some answers.

1. Why increase (R) service for its riders during the AM and PM Rush Hours when the MTA is suppose to have ANY spare cars just in case the ones in service break down and needs to be replaced by the other? I think part of the idea is to cut the (Q) back to 57 St/7 Av, thus freeing up some cars (similar to the (W) plan).

2. Why increase both (N) and (R) service? Wouldn't this jammed the 60th Street Tunnel, Lexington Avenue, and 5th Avenue stations WHERE the Broadway Line is only two-tracked? Once again, I think the idea is to cut back the (Q).

3. Doesn't the (N) need a supplement during weekdays in Astoria so that it can run fully express when undergound and cross the Manhattan Bridge south tracks? The idea is that increased (N) service can handle Astoria ridership. The (N) is local in Manhattan currently, and while it's not perfect, it works.

4. Is waiting only ten minutes even THAT long when all trains (except the (1) and (6) daytime hours only and the (7) and (L)) share tracks? Not really, in my opinion...Often, it seems like people just want to increase service on the line that they use the most.

5. Instead of adding more (R) services, isn't it better to add a supplement for the Broadway and Fourth Avenue local riders so that why they have two services arriving within ten minutes AT LEAST between Lexington Avenue in Manhattan and 36th Street in Brooklyn?!... Yes, in my opinion, but I REALLY don't want to have the (W) versus (J) Brooklyn debate.

Please answer to all my five questions because then people are going to start complaining and threaten locks if any debates are brought up...

Here is what I think, as a frequent rider of the (N) and (R) lines. (My school is near the Astoria-Ditmars station)

The (R) can't handle extra service, well in Queens during the weekdays it can't.. The (M) and the (R) are scheduled very closely and sometimes get delayed (not uncommon) b/c they are so close to each other... Extra (R) trains may cause definite delays, and it will affect everyone else down the line as well... Weekends, not so bad...

The (N) CAN handle the Astoria Line by itself IF it gets increased service of course. The (N) and (Q) run good now, other than the erratic scheduling. If the (N) got more service, it would be easier to prevent the erratic scheduling and trains can be spaced out better so there isn't like 3 or 4 trains (Ditmars bound) in the AM rush waiting at 30th Av and Astoria Blvd for trains to come down from Ditmars...

If the (N) gets extra service, every other train can go local along Broadway, and every other one can go express, just to even out service levels...

Just my two cents tho....

If the (N) gets extra service, every other train can go local along Broadway, and every other one can go express, just to even out service levels...
I think that would confuse riders. With some exceptions (like the (A) and (5) with multiple branches), I think that each subway line should have a constant route, to make the system easier for people to understand.

When you guys say "just increase service" meaning that the (N) and (R) would have to arrive twice or triple times every ten minutes during the rush hours of AM and PM, kinda similar to the (6)(7)(L) lines. This would completely jammed the 60th Street Tunnel, Lexington Avenue, and 5th Avenue stations! IMO a supplement is the best decision. That way, Broadway and Fourth Avenue local riders WON'T have to wait for another local train to arrives in the next ten minutes. And yes TheSubwayStation, the (Q) will be rerouted to the Second Avenue Subway.

MTAFanBoy512, having one (N) local and the other express in Manhattan wouldn't be good! Why?!?! This would lead to confusion and delay! You'll overcrowd the (N) express at 57th, 42nd, 34th, 14th, and even Canal Streets!

Two different train routes along the local stops of Broadway and Fourth Avenue lines (at least north of 36th Street in Brooklyn) would be better, both have a ten minute interval (including the (N)). It's not like waiting for a train for the ten minutes is THAT long right?...I mean come on, we have to THINK like Daniel the Cool from yesterday said. Yes we have to wait and see but you guys keep on saying "oh just increase (N)(R) service". This would jammed the two-track section of the BMT Broadway Line 60th Street Tube. Don't forget the (Q) will go up to SAS and the (N) NEEDS a different train route in Astoria for help during weekdays as well as the (R) between 57th and 36th Streets, to say the least.

P.S. I know if I bring up the (W) debate, people will spaz me out and threaten locks, and then next time BOOM! The moderators close the thread.....And from there on, I thought threads in forum sites are suppose to be fun and thoughtful.

P.S. I know if I bring up the (W) debate, people will spaz me out and threaten locks, and then next time BOOM! The moderators close the thread.....And from there on, I thought threads in forum sites are suppose to be fun and thoughtful.

The only thing I can say to people who complain like this is that this is the internet. You have to learn to deal with it.

P.S. I know if I bring up the (W) debate, people will spaz me out and threaten locks, and then next time BOOM! The moderators close the thread.....
Nah, if people talk about NEW ideas related to the (W), which is what I think is going on, then no locks should be threatened...If people repeat their same ideas again and again, then it's lock time.

Here is what I think, as a frequent rider of the (N) and (R) lines. (My school is near the Astoria-Ditmars station)

The (R) can't handle extra service, well in Queens during the weekdays it can't.. The (M) and the (R) are scheduled very closely and sometimes get delayed (not uncommon) b/c they are so close to each other... Extra (R) trains may cause definite delays, and it will affect everyone else down the line as well... Weekends, not so bad...

The (N) CAN handle the Astoria Line by itself IF it gets increased service of course. The (N) and (Q) run good now, other than the erratic scheduling. If the (N) got more service, it would be easier to prevent the erratic scheduling and trains can be spaced out better so there isn't like 3 or 4 trains (Ditmars bound) in the AM rush waiting at 30th Av and Astoria Blvd for trains to come down from Ditmars...

Just my two cents tho....

If you did the old plan of the (N) going local downtown, AM, and uptown, PM, then you might not need the (R) increased. Again, Astoria riders would have their local service, and peak direction local stations would have their two services.

Nah, if people talk about NEW ideas related to the (W), which is what I think is going on, then no locks should be threatened...If people repeat their same ideas again and again, then it's lock time.

Damn! I was going to like this but...

"

"I have reached my quota of positive votes for the day"

What if the (W) ran on the IND Queens Boulevard Line and the (R) was moved back up to the Astoria Line? Would that decrease the time it takes for an (R) train to arrive?

23280008.jpg

The (R) would have no yard access then, that's not possible.

What if the (W) ran on the IND Queens Boulevard Line and the (R) was moved back up to the Astoria Line? Would that decrease the time it takes for an (R) train to arrive?

Why are you SO crazy about increasing (R) service? Look. The (R) runs every 6 minutes during rush hours, every 10 minutes on middays, and every 10 minutes on weekends. That's not so bad. There are other lines with considerably less service than that. I still would like to hear WHY exactly the (R) needs more service...I doubt that it's a crowding issue on 4 Av. You love to call other people foamers, but when it comes to the 4 Av line, you seem to be willing to do anything for more service, in spite of all obstacles. This (R) discussion is getting practically like the (J) versus (W) debate...

Having the (R) to Astoria again wouldn't change its current interval. I mean, all lines NEEDS to have acess to yards and increasing more (R) service is something that can prevent Astoria from having two services (one express and the other local when in Manhattan). So yeah I have to agree with TheSubwayStation that this is turning a little into another debate...

Guest MTA Bus

That's why the MTA switched the northern terminals of the (N) and ®trains. The (R) didn't have yard access when it was running to Astoria. Switching the terminals will not help the (R)

If you did the old plan of the (N) going local downtown, AM, and uptown, PM, then you might not need the (R) increased. Again, Astoria riders would have their local service, and peak direction local stations would have their two services.

THIS^ That's actually what I was thinking about.. And it could work as we aren't sure that the (W) is going to come back ever... But service levels need to be maintained in Manhattan, and increased in Astoria, this seems to be a realistic option...

When it comes to service improvements, I think the (M) should run its full route on weekends. (J) riders are often irritated by the amount of transfers it takes to get anywhere, and the (R) is already associated with being slow, inefficient, and overcrowded. (M) service would prove to be quite popular since it would provide a one-seat ride to many neighborhoods frequented by weekenders (e.g. Williamsburg, LES, NoLIta, the Village, Chelsea, Turtle Bay, etc.) as well as better access to the West Side of Manhattan.

On a side note, I was thinking of more cost-effective ways to alleviate the (N)(Q)(R) bottlenecks in Manhattan (other than reinstating a whole subway line). I was thinking that having the (Q) skip 49th Street at all times would help. It would give the (Q) enough clearance to pass the (N) and reduce overall congestion between 57th/7th and Herald Square. This would also free up Canal Street, similar to how the (N) and (Q) run on weekends. However, I am also aware that 49th Street is a busy station in Midtown that would lead to increased crowding on the (N) and (R) if this were implemented. I'm not sure if the pros outweigh the cons. Thoughts?

When it comes to service improvements, I think the (M) should run its full route on weekends. (J) riders are often irritated by the amount of transfers it takes to get anywhere, and the (R) is already associated with being slow, inefficient, and overcrowded. (M) service would prove to be quite popular since it would provide a one-seat ride to many neighborhoods frequented by weekenders (e.g. Williamsburg, LES, NoLIta, the Village, Chelsea, Turtle Bay, etc.) as well as better access to the West Side of Manhattan.

On a side note, I was thinking of more cost-effective ways to alleviate the (N)(Q)(R) bottlenecks in Manhattan (other than reinstating a whole subway line). I was thinking that having the (Q) skip 49th Street at all times would help. It would give the (Q) enough clearance to pass the (N) and reduce overall congestion between 57th/7th and Herald Square. This would also free up Canal Street, similar to how the (N) and (Q) run on weekends. However, I am also aware that 49th Street is a busy station in Midtown that would lead to increased crowding on the (N) and (R) if this were implemented. I'm not sure if the pros outweigh the cons. Thoughts?

I think you're right, pros do outweigh the cons simply because the (Q) skipping 49th St would alleviate the delays between 34th and 57th Sts.

Let's just wait until the SAS Phase I opens for the (Q) to be rerouted to 96th Street there...I mean shouldn't the (Q) be the only one that arrives twice every ten minutes while all other trains arrive ONCE on the Broadway Line during weekday rush hours? That's why I'd rather have the (W) back and take about 120 R68s for its 2004-2010 repeatable at least and be a supplement for (N) in Queens and the (R) in Manhattan and/or AT LEAST Brooklyn north of 36th Street. Increasing intervals and/or just toying with them would just back up all trains.

Besides, isn't it possible for the (N) and (W) trains to arrive at the same time at 14th Street-Union Square in both directions as scheduled and the (R) to get ahead all the way? You guys should know how the Broadway Line was design, see trackmap at nycsubway.org. We can't just say "Oh just increase all (N)(Q)(R) services without bringing back the (W)!" You can't just have all trains there bunched and arriving within every minute and second. You wouldn't even expect to see that on the (1)(6)(7)(L). Two-Three services within ten minutes is enough.

Archived