The Official Vertical Transportation Thread

TheSubwayStation

Interesting thread.

I wished more places have spiral escalators (just look it up on youtube). They are interesting and pretty neat.

Macy's (34th-HS) wooden escalators are pretty cool as well.

Garden State Mall's JCPenny's has the shortest pair of escalators in North America. Makes me wonder why they bothered building it in the first place.

The moving sidewalks (like the one at Court Sq), they are just so fun to walk in the wrong direction on. It's almost like a public treadmill lol.

My school has this very old elevator. It is hand operated, and always needs someone in it when it is called. The doors are hand opened, and the elevator is moved by hand as well.

LOL. You mean like with a pulley system or what? :o

My school's elevators require a key to get in them. There's always the idiots who go rushing into them when they see somebody get out (they're supposed to be if you're injured or something). I had to use it last year, and one of the idiots almost knocked me over. I'm thinking "Take the stairs. Your fat ass could sure use the excercise". And if she had knocked me over, then what? :angry:

My school's elevators require a key to get in them. There's always the idiots who go rushing into them when they see somebody get out (they're supposed to be if you're injured or something). I had to use it last year, and one of the idiots almost knocked me over. I'm thinking "Take the stairs. Your fat ass could sure use the excercise". And if she had knocked me over, then what? :angry:

Levers are in the elevator to operate it, and the doors have handles to open them. It has to be at least 70 years old...

Levers are in the elevator to operate it, and the doors have handles to open them. It has to be at least 70 years old...

Damn, that's old. My school also requires keys to get into the elevators. Your also supposed to have ID or something to use them.

This thread is likely gonna get a LOT of hate. But, who cares, I'm one of the few here into elevators, so of course I'm posting in it!

Interesting thread.

I wished more places have spiral escalators (just look it up on youtube). They are interesting and pretty neat.

Macy's (34th-HS) wooden escalators are pretty cool as well.

Garden State Mall's JCPenny's has the shortest pair of escalators in North America. Makes me wonder why they bothered building it in the first place.

The moving sidewalks (like the one at Court Sq), they are just so fun to walk in the wrong direction on. It's almost like a public treadmill lol.

I got detained in Macy*s Herald Square for filming their elevator, but those escalators sure are interesting. As far as Garden State Plaza goes, those escalators are outside JCP, not inside the store, and I managed to film them when I was there on Black Friday.

Moving walks are awesome, I never tried walking the opposite direction on them but I really should lol. And I was just at JFK the other day too, got to ride quite a few of those and there weren't that many people on most of those moving walks so I probably could have walked the opposite direction on them.

FOAMFOAMFOAMFOAM. I want to ride that!

Speaking of those, I've managed to operate them a few times. Quite the experience.

I got detained in Macy*s Herald Square for filming their elevator, but those escalators sure are interesting. As far as Garden State Plaza goes, those escalators are outside JCP, not inside the store, and I managed to film them when I was there on Black Friday.

Moving walks are awesome, I never tried walking the opposite direction on them but I really should lol. And I was just at JFK the other day too, got to ride quite a few of those and there weren't that many people on most of those moving walks so I probably could have walked the opposite direction on them.

FOAMFOAMFOAMFOAM. I want to ride that!

Speaking of those, I've managed to operate them a few times. Quite the experience.

You got arrested?? Serious security...

I've ridden it a couple times, the ride is so fast I didn't get a good look at the operations...

@O7: Detained for filming at Macy's? Damn, well I usually film the escalators when there's almost no one around or one of the more isolated areas. Usually I just take pics though.

Ah yes, but regardless, it is still pointless though for the GSM.

I used to walk the opposite way on the moving sidewalks (when no one was on), but that was the past.

Same here.

You got arrested?? Serious security...

I've ridden it a couple times, the ride is so fast I didn't get a good look at the operations...

Detained then kicked out, not arrested. I got some complaints for not asking them why I was being detained and if I could leave or telling them they're illegally detaining me or whatever, but at the time I really didn't think about that stuff except that I refused to delete my videos, which they were trying to get me to do. For anyone who gets asked to delete videos, any videos you take are your intellectual property and you can't be forced to delete that.

Otis. That is all.

Not anymore. They make a lot of their stuff in China now, which is rather ironic since they're the only major American elevator company today and the rest of the major companies (which are all foreign-based) make most/all of their stuff for American installations in America.

lmao.... that's a freight elevator !

Not necessarily. Old passenger elevators had the manual control crank. But, if it is a freight elevator used to carry passengers, that's a violation of NYC code. The Syms on Trinity Place used to carry passengers on their freight elevator and freight on their passenger one, and as far as I'm aware they did that until they closed and didn't appear to get in trouble for it. Their freight elevator wasn't your typical freight at all, it didn't have bi-parting doors or anything like that. Both were old OTIS controlled by the manual crank too, I got to ride and operate the passenger one which they used for freight, and got to ride the freight which was used for passengers too, and I got videos of both.

But, if it is a freight elevator used to carry passengers, that's a violation of NYC code.

Yeah, I know...... It happens at the bldg. I work at, when the regular elevator in the back entrance isn't working....

For certain floors, you can only gain access through the elevators from the back entrance.... and the bldg owner for some reason is very anal about people using the stairs for non-emergency purposes......

Yeah, I know...... It happens at the bldg. I work at, when the regular elevator in the back entrance isn't working....

For certain floors, you can only gain access through the elevators from the back entrance.... and the bldg owner for some reason is very anal about people using the stairs for non-emergency purposes......

The elevator at my school is a passenger elevator (Otis, by the way), just really old.

Archived