Fare, or are you being taken for a ride? New taxi rates go into effect.

CPBO

I realized this happened after they took the rates off of the door. I was like, "oh yeah, the price went up". I took one last night, the initial fare is lower by 50 cents but instead of being charged 40 cents for every 1/3 or whatever it is of a mile they charge 50 cents now. So with a tip I ended up paying about a dollar more...not too bad but I wouldn't do it everyday.

Cabs are a necessary part of the city and a vital part in the transportation network. Not only are they used in places where public transportation isn't available, but also in places where public transportation service is just awful and a cab will make the trip much quicker.

Just the other day at night I was tired and had to go about 3/4 of a mile along York Avenue, and because the M31 has such awful service and because I wasn't gonna wait 5 minutes I just hopped in a cab and got there in 3 minutes. Even if an M31 was right there I still would've taken a cab because I don't want to be bothered with the many stops and long travel time.

Yes, they drive like complete morons, but they get me where I need to go fast for a reasonable amount. Often times if I come out of the subway and miss the crosstown bus I'll just hop in a cab also. $7 from the subway to my house in 5 minutes when the bus would take over 10 minutes plus waiting and I'd still have to walk a bit is definitely worth it.

If you buy something fancy like a TV from Target or Best Buy, and you dont have a car, whos going to want to lug an expensive Flat Screen TV on the Subway or Bus, someone will most defenately steal it from you, therefore you need to get a cab to drive you back.

The stories about the shit some taxi drivers (and dollar van operators) do makes me sick but I haven't taken a cab in the city since the Auto Show at Javits in 2002. Still, if worse came to worse, I'd much rather hover towards a yellow cab...

...... but a metered yellow taxi... Different story. As I said before, I pick and choose when I use yellow taxis. The last time I used one it was sweltering outside and I didn't feel like using the bus since it was so hot out, so I took a taxi to and from my office in Midtown to a restaurant over in the Meat Packing District, as I was taking a long lunch. Round trip was $30.30 w/tip... $12.40 going and $17.90 coming back because we were stuck in traffic...

Same place, yet a difference of almost $6.00... Also you do have yellow taxi drivers still ripping off customers...

http://www.myfoxny.c...s-taking-a-toll

I always use my charge card, which lists all of my purchases going back to almost two years so I can see what I was charged with a quick search and can dispute any charges up to 90 days. I always check my receipts too and look at the meter to ensure I'm not getting ripped off.

lol... Doesn't sound too luxurious to me; having to worry about getting ripped off, checkin receipts & what not.....

Your story/scenario is part of what I'm getting at..... how, or why in the world should you have to pay 5.50 extra for the return trip to the same point you emanated from...... I'd love for someone to try to justify that to me.....

Cabs are a necessary part of the city and a vital part in the transportation network. Not only are they used in places where public transportation isn't available, but also in places where public transportation service is just awful and a cab will make the trip much quicker.

Just the other day at night I was tired and had to go about 3/4 of a mile along York Avenue, and because the M31 has such awful service and because I wasn't gonna wait 5 minutes I just hopped in a cab and got there in 3 minutes. Even if an M31 was right there I still would've taken a cab because I don't want to be bothered with the many stops and long travel time.

Yes, they drive like complete morons, but they get me where I need to go fast for a reasonable amount. Often times if I come out of the subway and miss the crosstown bus I'll just hop in a cab also. $7 from the subway to my house in 5 minutes when the bus would take over 10 minutes plus waiting and I'd still have to walk a bit is definitely worth it.

Wait a second.... I'm not implicating cabs aren't useful & aren't necessary, for the record.....

I'm calling out how crooked their operations are......

None of that has anything to do with the MTA; this is the second time someone has resorted to bringing up public transportation to buttress their point about cabs in this thread.....

If you buy something fancy like a TV from Target or Best Buy, and you dont have a car, whos going to want to lug an expensive Flat Screen TV on the Subway or Bus, someone will most defenately steal it from you, therefore you need to get a cab to drive you back.

right.... "and you don't have a car"....

People in general want their own personal vehicle.... they can't afford one, the next best thing is a cab....

For someone to convey to me that a taxi is a freakin luxury is asinine.....

Put it to you another way..... since you wanna bring up a hypothetical; alright, using your own example.....

How many people are going to want to worry about hailing for & shelling out money to a cabbie after they just purchased an expensive flat screen TV, when they can drive their personal vehicle to wherever they're buying the TV from back to their house at their leisure.... Come on now BlueFoxie, with the personal vehicle advocate you are, you are last person I'd believe if you were to sit up here & say you'd rather hop in a cab over your own car......

lol... Doesn't sound too luxurious to me; having to worry about getting ripped off, checkin receipts & what not.....

Your story/scenario is part of what I'm getting at..... how, or why in the world should you have to pay 5.50 extra for the return trip to the same point you emanated from...... I'd love for someone to try to justify that to me....

Actually some folks do view cabs as a luxury in the city though... it's their way of using "public transportation" if you will be sheltering themselves... There are some folks that jump in yellow taxis but would never grace a local bus or the subway as they see it as being beneath them. My mom knew a lady that always used cabs to go everywhere. It does solve the having to look for parking nonsense and you are getting chauffeured around if you will.

B.S. I have brought the weirdest shit on the bus, from 2 TV's(one flat & conventional), game systems, boxed furniture, guitars, and other random electronics. I take my computer to repair when needed on the bus. Before anyone calls me out, I am usually fast and trvel off-peak.

B.S. I have brought the weirdest shit on the bus, from 2 TV's(one flat & conventional), game systems, boxed furniture, guitars, and other random electronics. I take my computer to repair when needed on the bus. Before anyone calls me out, I am usually fast and trvel off-peak.

LOL... Wow... I don't know how things work in California, but in New York that usually isn't the case. Quite frankly I can't believe anyone would even bother schlepping a TV on a bus or even in a cab. Most places offer delivery these days.

Actually some folks do view cabs as a luxury in the city though... it's their way of using "public transportation" if you will be sheltering themselves... There are some folks that jump in yellow taxis but would never grace a local bus or the subway as they see it as being beneath them. My mom knew a lady that always used cabs to go everywhere. It does solve the having to look for parking nonsense and you are getting chauffeured around if you will.

Oh I know ppl. view them as a luxury.... I'm sayin cabs aren't luxuries....

You mention the word chauffeur; yes there are similarities.....

However, I have yet to hear anyone refer to a limousine as a "stinkin limo"..... (I) can't say the same for a cab....

Nothin to call you out on because that's not the first time I've heard of (hell, even personally seen) anyone doing that.....

Contrary to belief, it isn't all that rare an occurrence either..... I will say though that usually, these are the people that end up gettin cursed out.....

LOL... Wow... I don't know how things work in California, but in New York that usually isn't the case. Quite frankly I can't believe anyone would even bother schlepping a TV on a bus or even in a cab. Most places offer delivery these days.

Some people do this because they have no other option. Others do it to be showy. Others (such as myself) do it to prove a point that we are not reliant on personal vehicles.

Regarding delivery, a few local businesses will deliver anything you buy if you hit thier price point, which could range from $100-500), but most chains will offer free delivery on bulky items. Bulkiest item I have brought was a boxed coffee table that one of my friends gave my when he was moving.

Oh I know ppl. view them as a luxury.... I'm sayin cabs aren't luxuries....

You mention the word chauffeur; yes there are similarities.....

However, I have yet to hear anyone refer to a limousine as a "stinkin limo"..... (I) can't say the same for a cab....

No comment other than in the private cabs, the elite will go on a triad on how they had to use

public transit. Are you Fing kidding me.

Nothin to call you out on because that's not the first time I've heard of (hell, even personally seen) anyone doing that.....

Contrary to belief, it isn't all that rare an occurrence either..... I will say though that usually, these are the people that end up gettin cursed out.....

No, it's cool. I should clarify that everything I buy needs to fit in my crappy 10x9 room, so I'm not bringing a fridge or a 52' flat or anything of the such.

You must be kidding right?? cause these people bring it on everyday....Christmas tree's....you name it they take it home by bus!!

You must be kidding right?? cause these people bring it on everyday....Christmas tree's....you name it they take it home by bus!!

Who in their right mind is going to schlep expensive items like a flat screen TV or a brand new iMac from the Apple Store down into the Subway or onto a local bus, making themselves an easy target for theft.

Who in their right mind is going to schlep expensive items like a flat screen TV or a brand new iMac from the Apple Store down into the Subway or onto a local bus, making themselves an easy target for theft.

The ghetto types... :lol: I remember last year I went to one of my Italian spots down in Chelsea forThanksgiving dinner. Took car service over to the X1... Got off at 23rd and 6th and started heading towards the restaurant over by Park Avenue South, and I see all of these idiots lined up outside of Best Buy... Apparently some sort of cheap tv was on sale. I was kind of dressed up so I'm looking at these folks like they were crazy since it was a bit chilly out and one black guy looked at me with an angry face I guess because I was looking at them like they were aliens out of space. :lol:

I just don't get it. You can shop online for great deals for TVs and such all of the time and yet here they are sitting outside in the cold for a tv that they surely will be schlepping on the subway or bus. <_<

Your story/scenario is part of what I'm getting at..... how, or why in the world should you have to pay 5.50 extra for the return trip to the same point you emanated from...... I'd love for someone to try to justify that to me.....

Wait a second.... I'm not implicating cabs aren't useful & aren't necessary, for the record.....

I'm calling out how crooked their operations are......

None of that has anything to do with the MTA; this is the second time someone has resorted to bringing up public transportation to buttress their point about cabs in this thread.....

right.... "and you don't have a car"....

People in general want their own personal vehicle.... they can't afford one, the next best thing is a cab....

For someone to convey to me that a taxi is a freakin luxury is asinine.....

Put it to you another way..... since you wanna bring up a hypothetical; alright, using your own example.....

How many people are going to want to worry about hailing for & shelling out money to a cabbie after they just purchased an expensive flat screen TV, when they can drive their personal vehicle to wherever they're buying the TV from back to their house at their leisure.... Come on now BlueFoxie, with the personal vehicle advocate you are, you are last person I'd believe if you were to sit up here & say you'd rather hop in a cab over your own car......

You have alot of anger towards NYC taxis. Look at how you are replying to everone. You sound like you got raped by a taxi driver and he overcharged you for it. You must be mad broke son. Seeing how you love the B 35 to Flatbush I would guess you live a pretty meager existence. Thats really where all of this anger is coming from isnt it?

Nah YOU must be kidding. If someone is bringing that stuff on the bus or subway that means they spent all of their money on these items and didnt think ahead about having a little extra to get a cab and take them home safely. Why would anyone in their right mind want to carry any heavy bulky items on a bus or subway if they could afford to take a cab? They wouldnt! Its way easier and less stressful to drive it home.

You have alot of anger towards NYC taxis. Look at how you are replying to everone. You sound like you got raped by a taxi driver and he overcharged you for it. You must be mad broke son. Seeing how you love the B 35 to Flatbush I would guess you live a pretty meager existence. Thats really where all of this anger is coming from isnt it?

More baseless, meaningless insults.... That's all you got.... That's all you're about.

What you think of me doesn't matter as it pertains to this discussion....

You still have yet to refute what I'm saying about the taxi cab industry..... Because you can't.

And as a former livery cab driver, that shit is eating you up & you know it.... Too damn bad.

More baseless, meaningless insults.... That's all you got.... That's all you're about.

What you think of me doesn't matter as it pertains to this discussion....

You still have yet to refute what I'm saying about the taxi cab industry..... Because you can't.

And as a former livery cab driver, that shit is eating you up & you know it.... Too damn bad.

You're a joke kid, I only drive a cab for extra cash on the side. I didnt do it for a living and theres nothing eating me up. I just see how you are replying to everyones posts like someone who is a very bitter and angry person.

You're a joke kid, I only drive a cab for extra cash on the side. I didnt do it for a living and theres nothing eating me up. I just see how you are replying to everyones posts like someone who is a very bitter and angry person.

....and you're replying to my posts like someone who's feelings are hurt because I have something unfavorable to say about the taxi industry.... You can say there's nothin eatin you up if you want...... Furthermore, it doesn't matter if you didn't do it for a living, you still did it - Your sympathy is showing here.... The problem is the corny ass insults that's fueling your emotions..... The fact that the taxi industry is crooked is not my fault nor my problem.... I'm not gonna pretend shit is all good when it isn't & that cab drivers are freakin saints when they aren't - and definitely not to appease the likes of you because you drove a cab.....

For someone that drove a cab (in any capacity), you should EASILY come on here & debunk everything I've said one-by-one..... and don't give me that "I aint got time" shit because you sure as hell have time to call me broke, a hater, bitter, angry, etc.....

Damn all that - Why is it that you can't formulate a counter-argument against what's being said, Warduke..... What the hell is so hard about that? Instead, you wanna continue with ad-hominems and shit....

In short, dude grow up.

I think you are a joke and I dont get angry at people on the internet. Its just text from an anonymous keyboard typist. And I dont need to debunk or argue anything, especially with someone like you who is biased and closed minded. You cant win an argument with a dumb person. This is about you replying to everyone hating on the taxi cab industry with no real validity to what you say. You know nothing about the taxi industry and its not as crooked as you say it is. Just because your limited experience with it was negative doesnt make it the truth about cabs. If you never take cabs then you really are talking out of your butt. I really dont care what you think if I drove for a short time or long time. Its not my career and I wouldnt take offense even if it was, there is no sypathy here. Some of these cab drivers are idiots but not all of them.

And what crawled up yours? If someone (such as myself) would choose to save money by not using a G-Damn taxi, that does not directly reflect their social status.

Nah YOU must be kidding. If someone is bringing that stuff on the bus or subway that means they spent all of their money on these items and didnt think ahead about having a little extra to get a cab and take them home safely. Why would anyone in their right mind want to carry any heavy bulky items on a bus or subway if they could afford to take a cab? They wouldnt! Its way easier and less stressful to drive it home.

No, but I could see why one wouldn't bother using a crappy livery cab or such when they have their Metrocard on them.

I think you are a joke and I dont get angry at people on the internet. Its just text from an anonymous keyboard typist. And I dont need to debunk or argue anything, especially with someone like you who is biased and closed minded. You cant win an argument with a dumb person. This is about you replying to everyone hating on the taxi cab industry with no real validity to what you say. You know nothing about the taxi industry and its not as crooked as you say it is. Just because your limited experience with it was negative doesnt make it the truth about cabs. If you never take cabs then you really are talking out of your butt. I really dont care what you think if I drove for a short time or long time. Its not my career and I wouldnt take offense even if it was, there is no sypathy here. Some of these cab drivers are idiots but not all of them.

You, yourself have proven you have an attitude, go on triades over petty arguements, hold a strong bias toward private transport, and lash out at anyone who doesn't agree with you. Yes, sounds like a sterotypical cab driver to me.

I think you are a joke and I dont get angry at people on the internet. Its just text from an anonymous keyboard typist. And I dont need to debunk or argue anything, especially with someone like you who is biased and closed minded. You cant win an argument with a dumb person.

Right, because you can't & you know it.... All the namecalling by you & shit is proof that you can't.

Figured you'd play that angle......

This is about you replying to everyone hating on the taxi cab industry with no real validity to what you say. You know nothing about the taxi industry and its not as crooked as you say it is. Just because your limited experience with it was negative doesnt make it the truth about cabs. If you never take cabs then you really are talking out of your butt. I really dont care what you think if I drove for a short time or long time. Its not my career and I wouldnt take offense even if it was, there is no sypathy here. Some of these cab drivers are idiots but not all of them.

No, that's what you're making it into..... Because it makes you even responding to my posts the way you have within this thread much easier for you..... I could give a hot f*ck as to how long you drove a cab or it not being your career - it doesn't change anything..... Do whatever it is you do....

Come on mr. former cab driver, don't give me general statements.... Tell me & everyone else on this board how not so crooked the taxi industry is.....

See, that's the thing with you..... What I've said thus far isn't a lie either..... You can say it's not as crooked, but it IS crooked......

You can come with that "some, but not all" argument about cab drivers, but there ARE cab drivers that are shady & underhanded....

....and as far as my limited experience.... By no means am I basing my comments off just my experiences......

And what crawled up yours? If someone (such as myself) would choose to save money by not using a G-Damn taxi, that does not directly reflect their social status.

You'd think that would be a simple concept.....

That's where this started; I said something about taxi's being a waste of money, and here comes this guy swooping through with the ridiculous assumption of someone being broke & taxi's being this luxury we can't afford.....

Not wanting to blow money on a cab doesn't mean you don't have the money TO blow on a cab (which is what the state of being broke implicates).....

Archived