NHL 2012-2013 season & News Thread

Shortline Bus

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, yes they'd screw themselves in that deal, but wouldn't it be better to get paid for this year than to get nothing over 7%? How about make it a 1 yr deal and work on the new agreement next year? Just get something done and get on the ice Asap!

I sure as heck wouldn't take that deal. The NHL is trying to make them look greedy by saying that they're only asking for "50/50" when in reality the players would be giving up far more than that. They made quite a bit of concessions last time and now the owners are asking for more concessions. Next time around they won't accept 50/50... The owners will want an even higher stake. It's about more than just 50/50 because the players' capabilities to earn would be reduced significantly in comparison to their ability now. They already are capped in their first three years into the league as to what they can earn (which quite frankly is peanuts in comparison to the other major sports, as these guys get paid under a 1 million dollars (regardless of their talent) for 3 years straight). The highest salaries in the league are around 7-8 million a year currently, which when you compare it to other leagues in quite reasonable. You have a guy in A-Rod making 25 million a year. It would take 3 Sidney Crosbys roughly to get that same salary.

You also have to consider that some of these guys could be getting paid for more playing in other hockey leagues like the KHL. The NHL is supposed to be the premiere hockey league so it's a disgrace that they want the top talent at bargain prices. Rumor has it that some of these guys just may not come back to the NHL if they have to reduce their salaries even further since they could earn more in other leagues.

The problem is they had a strike a few years ago, can they survive the backlash from the fans' disgust when they do resume? Stuff like this is a good way of killing off interest. I can't see some of the smaller teams surviving unless there were contractions. It's fine to stand your ground, but who wins if no one gives a f*ck after it's over? The sides may get their money now, but what about down the road when people decides not to renew/buy their season passes or merchandise?

Well the fan base is another issue... I think the die hards will come back, especially if they understand the situation at hand... I know I am sick of watching re-runs on NHL network and there is nothing but the same crappola on TV so I have been rather bored with what has been on. I usually like to either go out and drink when it is cold and have some fun or stay home and watch the games so I've been getting my drinking groove back... Beer and wine how I've missed thee... :lol:

Now what am I gonna watch when the NFL's season's over? Don't even suggest streetball NBA either.... I'm one of the few Brooklynites that's NOT amped about the Nets.....

Hockey fans are going nowhere; hardcore hockey fans more often than not, do not watch/follow the other 3 major sports.... I wouldn't worry about a dying fanbase.....

Another big "loser" if this lockout cancels the season besides NBC Sports Net is Canada's CBC. The NHL is now their only "major" sports broadcasting left for that country government owned channel. The CFL(Canada Football League on TSN)Blue Jays/MLB Baseball(Rogers Sportsnet) Raptors/NBA Basketball (TSN/RSN) and the Olympics/Canada TV rights to the NFL (Rival "CTV")once staples as recently as a decade ago are no longer on their network.

Right now "Hockey Night in Canada" North of the border's answer to Sunday Night/Monday NFL "game of the week" is showing re-runs of some of the best games in NHL. And starting in Dec. if lockout continues in plans to showing "Minor League and Junior League" hockey games instead.

Another big "loser" if this lockout cancels the season besides NBC Sports Net is Canada's CBC. The NHL is now their only "major" sports broadcasting left for that country government owned channel. The CFL(Canada Football League on TSN)Blue Jays/MLB Baseball(Rogers Sportsnet) Raptors/NBA Basketball (TSN/RSN) and the Olympics/Canada TV rights to the NFL (Rival "CTV")once staples as recently as a decade ago are no longer on their network.

Right now "Hockey Night in Canada" North of the border's answer to Sunday Night/Monday NFL "game of the week" is showing re-runs of some of the best games in NHL. And starting in Dec. if lockout continues in plans to showing "Minor League and Junior League" hockey games instead.

No replies from someone like Tokemon?

To be frank I'd rather be associated with Canada than the Ununited States of Amurrica.

LOL... So noted... So what have you been doing with no NHL games?? I've been watching the OHL here and there... Nice to see the next up and coming potential stars of the league, whenever we have games again.

LOL... So noted... So what have you been doing with no NHL games?? I've been watching the OHL here and there... Nice to see the next up and coming potential stars of the league, whenever we have games again.

Also I think ESPN2 (at least during a day off on Columbus Day aka Canada's Thanksgiving lol)has also shown some "edited" highlights of pro hockey games from Europe and also Russia's KHL league on tape delay.

That what the NHL Network and even CBC should be shown instead. Pro hockey games from Europe and also Minor league/Jr Leagues closer to home in Canada & the US. After the NFL season, if lockout is still in effect and want to watch hockey as a NHL fan dont want to see the 10,000 showing of say the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals lol.

Islanders moving to Brooklyn, in 2015:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islander-announce-move-brooklyn-barclays-center-article-1.1190943

This makes a lot of sense: Nassau doesn't want to build a new arena and the Nets alone isn't going to be enough. Hell of a lot better than the Islanders packing up and going to Canada or something. Heh, I called it :)

Islanders moving to Brooklyn, in 2015:

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1190943

This makes a lot of sense: Nassau doesn't want to build a new arena and the Nets alone isn't going to be enough. Hell of a lot better than the Islanders packing up and going to Canada or something. Heh, I called it :)

So buddy (Concourse)will they be renamed the "Brooklyn Islanders?

I don't see the need to change the name as Brooklyn is part of Long Island.

I gotta give you props concourse for that proposal. So in sense it's a remarriage of the Islanders and then Long Island Nets (aka Dr. J afro lol)playing in same buliding in the 1970's.

Off Topic Question. Why can't the Islanders get off MSG2 and sign on with Yankees which also features the Nets in the winter?

The thing is though this will be the smallest venue for NHL hockey so if they can't sell tickets there to get the place sold out, they may very well leave New York altogether as Wang will argue that he isn't bringing in enough revenue, so this is a really big deal. Wang is going to have to get his **** together and get Garth Snow to make some logical deals or fire him and hire someone who can get the job done AND finally spend some damn money. They can't live off of draft picks and dreams. They need to start building a team there that will make folks want to come out and watch otherwise they're going to be spending ridiculous amounts of money just to lure folks to the team, overpaying them as a result with bloated contracts.

Until the team improves, I don't see any justification for a larger arena. Plus depending how long they want to stay, I'm sure they can chose to leave after the lease is up. *If I were a die hard fan, I'd want the team to stay close to where they formerly played than to root for the Rangers or Devils.

It's pretty simple... Larger arenas allow for more revenue... Luxury suites and ticket sales is what generates revenue for the teams so in order to compete with other teams the more folks you can seat and the more luxury suites the arena has the better.

Archived