Q23 going to LaGuardia Airport?

JOrion3741

As I was running along Astoria Blvd and 102nd St. today, I saw a Q23 HEV headed toward "LaGuardia Airport-Central Term", that is what the sign said, bright as day! I was so surprised! I saw a pic showing a Q23 bus stop sign that said that it goes there. What the story behind this? I didn't see any postings or new schedules in regards to this change. Does anybody know for sure whether or not the 23 now serves LGA. I know that the (MTA) wants to extend it to LGA, but I didn't know that it was going to happen so soon!

Well, I saw the MTA Bus Committee Agenda for July and it didn't state a service change for the Q23, only a service change for the Q21 going to Queens Center. And I believe that the board is off in August, so the next agenda will be out September. We'll just have to wait and see if it is mentioned there. But as of now, the Q23 doesn't isn't going to LGA.

Maybe those tiimes that we saw the 23 going to LGA, it was probably just a temporary run and maybe there was some type of construction that was going on that forced it to go into LGA!....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Charles

Hey guys, I'm new to this site.

I've seen Orion VII #3730 with the LaGuardia Airport Central Terminal sign in Forest Hills a couple of times. I don't know if it actually went there, though.

I've heard they are proposing changes to the Q23 but on the opposite end. They want the line serve the Atlas Mall. How will the routing turn out? I have no idea. The last stop will continue to be as is but the question is how will it serve the mall? I've also heard that the Q45 will be extended from Eliot Ave to Atlas Mall.

IMO, the Q29 Q45 and the Q54 are more than enough lines to serve this little mall. They don't need the Q23 going there too. If the Q23 customers want to go to the Mall, get off at Woodhaven and take the Q54. Traffic in that area is already a mess as it is. Plus, there's no room over there for all of these bus lines to go through. 3 lines for Atlas Mall is more than plenty.

As far as the Q23 serving La Guardia Airport, if it is to be, then it will follow the same route as the Q48 for the exception of the exit. Instead of exiting via 82 Street/Ditmars Blvd (which is the way it should be IMO), it will exit via 94 Street. I've also been hearing that if the Q23 does indeed enters La Guardia Airport, then the Q72 will be discontinued from entering the Airport thus meaning the original destination would be in place. Talk about confusion.

Aagin, there are so many bus lines serving this small airport. I think if they want another line to serve La Guardia Airport, they should extend the Q47 to serve all parts of the Airport thus should enter and exit via Ditmars Blvd/82 Street. If they want to be creative, end the Q23 where the Q72 used to terminate on 95 Street.

In LGA Airport Currently: M60 Q33 Q47 (Marine Terminal Only) Q48 Q72

Proposed: Q23

I've seen bus and street signs with the Q23 signed up for La Guardia Airport.

Question is will they do it?

I'm guessing that the BX50 and Q94 plans to serve La Guardia Airport were scrapped?

• 4 weeks later...

the q23 does not go to laguardia airport. alot of rts buses at laguardia airport are having problems with the luminator destination signs. there have been two(2) gentlemen from mta bus trying to correct this issue for weeks to no avail.

there is also an issue with alot of 8000's rts buses still showing q19a, q19b routes, & the q19 terminating at 102st, when it actually goes up to main street flushing.

• 4 weeks later...
As I was running along Astoria Blvd and 102nd St. today, I saw a Q23 HEV headed toward "LaGuardia Airport-Central Term", that is what the sign said, bright as day! I was so surprised! I saw a pic showing a Q23 bus stop sign that said that it goes there. What the story behind this? I didn't see any postings or new schedules in regards to this change. Does anybody know for sure whether or not the 23 now serves LGA. I know that the (MTA) wants to extend it to LGA, but I didn't know that it was going to happen so soon!

Not only that, Central Terminal B's airport bus stop indicates "Q23", but it doesn't stop there.

famous, there is a code in the hybrid farebox that does say central terminal. the drivers have been issued wrong destination codes. by monday this should be corrected.there is no official word on the q23 going into the airport. if it does i will let everyone know.

Archived