Easy Pay Xpress questions

N6 Limited

Does anyone here use Easy Pay Xpress to refill your metrocard? I was thinking of getting one so I don't have to worry about refilling when I want to use the bus or subway, or perchance decide to hop on an express bus.

If I have a balance on an existing metrocard can I transfer the balance to the Easy Pay Card?

I have the Easypay PPR version, the monthly one just isn't needed for me. You cannot transfer the balance from an existing metrocard to the Easypay card, unless it is from another Easypay account in which you just call Customer Service. You also can't refill the Easypay card at a metrocard machine, it goes by automatic debit from your bank account once your balance drops below a certain amount.

Out of curiosity, can you get a refund if you decide to stop using it? Or will the MTA always have the $20 initial balance you put on?

I have never had the issue, but I think you do get a refund when you want to stop using it and close the account.

I use the PPR one. Here's the basics:

You register online with a credit or debit card.

They take $30 out of the account and you receive a card in a few weeks.

All transactions receive a bonus of 7% for $10 or more

You can refill the card online by doing one time payments or when the balance is under $20 it's automatically refilled with either $30 or $45 plus bonus. (not sure what the refill amount is, I always do it before dropping below $20) Do NOT refill it at any machine or agent because that damages the card.

It's accepted on Subway, Local and Express Bus, and SIR (I think it's good on Roosevelt Island Tram and Airtrain, but I'm not sure) and transfers work just like a regular card

Personally I never had a problem with the card, and the site is easy to use and mobile friendly. You can check your balance and activity anytime, and you can also report it lost or stolen and they will issue you a new card and block the old one to protect your balance. I think that's it.

Oh and PS I won't get a monthly version, I buy one from the machine if I need it. This way it's more flexible and I'm not stuck with something I won't use.

Out of curiosity, can you get a refund if you decide to stop using it? Or will the MTA always have the $20 initial balance you put on?

I would assume it's like EZ-Pass for cars/trucks. I remember when I closed my EZ-Pass account, I had $25 left on the tag. They never sent me a check or anything.

Yes it does...

http://www.mta.info/metrocard/EasyPayXpress.htm

https://www.easypaymetrocard.com/vector/static/faq/XpressFaq.shtml

"EasyPayXpress Pay-Per-Ride can be used for express bus, local bus and subway fares."

Maybe express buses, but I'm still sure it can't be used on PATH or the AirTrain.

Maybe express buses, but I'm still sure it can't be used on PATH or the AirTrain.

Well why wouldn't it be?

The AirTrain fare is the same as the express bus fare, so that isn't an issue. Technically it is a PPR, the only difference is that it refills automatically, and if PATH can accept MetroCards, there is no reason that they wouldn't accept this one, because the only difference is that it refills automatically.

Do you get where i'm going with this?

Well why wouldn't it be?

The AirTrain fare is the same as the express bus fare, so that isn't an issue. Technically it is a PPR, the only difference is that it refills automatically, and if PATH can accept MetroCards, there is no reason that they wouldn't accept this one, because the only difference is that it refills automatically.

Actually, it's $0.50 less. ;)

http://www.mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm

Yup, $5 :)

On weekends it's even cheaper when you come from LI :P

"On weekends, you can use CityTicket to save money and speed your trip to or from JFK Airport. Use the $3.75 CityTicket for Long Island Rail Road travel to or from Jamaica Station for travel within New York City for your AirTrain connection."

As for PPR:

"You pay the fare with Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard at either the Sutphin Boulevard or Howard Beach station (unlimited ride cards are not accepted for AirTrain).

Be sure you add additional money to your Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard to cover the cost for the subway and AirTrain."

And lastly, PATH does accept PPR:

http://www.panynj.gov/path/fares.html

"Fare Option Price Price Per Ride

1-Trip SmartLink* /PATH SingleRide Ticket* /

Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard* $2.00 $2.00"

Well why wouldn't it be?

Not all pay-per-ride cards are valid on AirTrain or on PATH - a standard PPR Reduced Fare MetroCard certainly won't work on AirTrain or PATH.

I wouldn't assume that this card works on AirTrain or PATH either. The FAQ only says that "EasyPayXpress Pay-Per-Ride can be used for express bus, local bus and subway fares." If you have one, by all means try it out on AirTrain or PATH, but if you don't have one yet and it's important to you that it work on AirTrain and PATH, you may want to hold off.

Not all pay-per-ride cards are valid on AirTrain or on PATH - a standard PPR Reduced Fare MetroCard certainly won't work on AirTrain or PATH.

I wouldn't assume that this card works on AirTrain or PATH either. The FAQ only says that "EasyPayXpress Pay-Per-Ride can be used for express bus, local bus and subway fares." If you have one, by all means try it out on AirTrain or PATH, but if you don't have one yet and it's important to you that it work on AirTrain and PATH, you may want to hold off.

You know, i'm sure you could just head over there and ask...

• 5 years later...

Amazing how much misinformation is present in this thread.

First off PPR ExpressPay MetroCards work perfectly fine on AirTrain JFK. I've used them many times. The only issue is that the turnstiles there go bonkers when showing you the remaining balance, so they show something like $488.

PPR ExpressPay cards are not accepted on PATH, which is pretty ridiculous to me given that they are on AirTrain and both are run by the PA.

14 hours ago, lensovet said:

First off PPR ExpressPay MetroCards work perfectly fine on AirTrain JFK. I've used them many times. The only issue is that the turnstiles there go bonkers when showing you the remaining balance, so they show something like $488.

PPR ExpressPay cards are not accepted on PATH, which is pretty ridiculous to me given that they are on AirTrain and both are run by the PA.

I always thought that ExpressPay was internally an MTA Employee Pass aka "Unlimited" with no 7/30 day expiration period, and once a month the MTA pulls out all swipes of the card from AFC and calculates your bill. The turnstyle or farebox doesn't know you have a balance or it is PPR. So you are saying there really is a balance on Expresspay MCs and it is the largest number that can be stores on the card? If that is so, then I wonder, when and where is the balance on the stripe "bumped" back to the max?

17 hours ago, lensovet said:

You're right, but this thread is also six years dead, so maybe better to discuss elsewhere/when relevant. 

10 hours ago, bulk88 said:

I always thought that ExpressPay was internally an MTA Employee Pass aka "Unlimited" with no 7/30 day expiration period, and once a month the MTA pulls out all swipes of the card from AFC and calculates your bill. The turnstyle or farebox doesn't know you have a balance or it is PPR. So you are saying there really is a balance on Expresspay MCs and it is the largest number that can be stores on the card? If that is so, then I wonder, when and where is the balance on the stripe "bumped" back to the max?

I can’t speak to how  it works on the backend but conceptually it’s just like E-ZPass. There is indeed a balance and you can check it online. They don’t calculate a bill once a month, they simply charge your card once the balance falls below the threshold amount. Just as with E-ZPass, the replenishment amount is based on past usage automatically. It can charge your card three or four times if needed in the same month. The issue seems to be that the balance isn’t encoded on the card and the AirTrain turnstiles haven’t been coded to deal with it properly. OTOH subway turnstiles just say “GO” – presumably since the card is run by the MTA and the turnstiles are owned by the MTA they have a vested interest in making it look remotely sane. 

7 hours ago, RR503 said:

You're right, but this thread is also six years dead, so maybe better to discuss elsewhere/when relevant. 

Sadly this thread is the number 6 google result for “MTA easypay path”, which is why I came in here to correct the information in case anyone else comes looking for it. 

Archived