R46 SIR retrofit Discussion

East New York

Okay then, so its the car length that I got wrong - 64 R179s and 64 R46s in four sets are not equal which means those said R46s can't be freed up for SIR. I see now...

Though by looking at GC's post, he mistaken me for saying the 4 car R179s should, would or could go to SIR...but I get the issue about said lengths now.....

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You weren't clear by what you said, and in case you meant R179s for the A line, then that's what my 2nd part of the post was about. I also addressed that the 4 car R179s would be shorter than the R46s you were intending to displace. So I wasn't mistaken on that point. A 5 75'-car train would be too long at 375' for a c/r to see (general max distance is 300' in either direction).

when those R46's go to SI, about close to 90-100 R32's will take their place unless an option order of the R179 is orderd, 64 75 footers is like having 80 60 footers, thats 8 trainsets, to be honest they are just better off sending R68's out there or give them modified R179's, BTW those R44's gotta go, they run good, their bodies are becoming shot

SIR will surely get R211s which hopefully be all 75 footers.

Because you have a magic ball telling you that the (MTA) won't change their mind on the R211s for SIR.

Don't mean to offend you, of course I also think the R211s will come to SIR but plans can change at anytime, especially since there is no award for the R211s yet and the (MTA) got themselves in more difficult financial situation because of the Sandy hits.

when those R46's go to SI, about close to 90-100 R32's will take their place unless an option order of the R179 is orderd, 64 75 footers is like having 80 60 footers, thats 8 trainsets, to be honest they are just better off sending R68's out there or give them modified R179's, BTW those R44's gotta go, they run good, their bodies are becoming shot

I doubt KNOW the 46s will go to SI anytime soon. Given the length of time for the contract awarding, the decent condition of SI's 44's and the fact that even IF the award goes thru, (note the IF) the refit isnt gonna happen overnight. Vendors must be found for the components to refit the cab signaling and such. If you think that this happens overnight, you need to research what goes into such projects. The 32's WILL NOT replace and moved 46s. The 44s looks like they will go thru one more SMS(body paneling can be replaced. If the frames are still good-which they seem to be- they will still be revenue). learn contract/project timetables, learn what goes into extensive work on railcars, Read MTA reports. The current 'Expected' contract award for the 46 refit is Jan 2014. It will take atleast a year for components  Then the work has to be done car by car. Look at the 188 conversion. didnt happen overnight right? By the time the 46s would be ready to hit SI (IF it still happens), the 179s will be here and the 32s will be out the door.

to sum this all up:

Theres a better chance of those 5-car 179s and a slight car shortage freeing up the 46s before what you post happens.

They dont have the 179 car order in the order to "modify" 179s. Its already a done deal. The 50-car option was merged with the initial order, and was all adjusted to total 300 cars with no options. All except 40 cars will be 4-car units. Check the MTA Dashboard if you dont believe me.

Please stop bringing up R68's going to SI. It aint happening. 46s are on the table. deal with it. and btw, those cars are heavy enough as it is. 93,000lbs each (guesstimate off the top of my head. but i do have the actual number here somewhere)-Heaviest in the fleet basically. Think about that. More equipment=more weight.  Certain cars are chosen for a reason.

And most important: Conversions of ANY kind dont happen overnight. Example-R188.

IF the plan goes thru, I assume R46 in SI starting 2017-2018. (my 'GUESSTIMATE')

and i stress all the 'IF's" because those here who say its aint happening could be right. I may have my views and feel the refit will happen, i, like anyone else here, could be wrong. But i do believe what i just stated given the "IF it happens..." scenario is the most logical.

SIR will surely get R211s which hopefully be all 75 footers.

See. the thing with 75'cars is less doors. Less doors equals more station times.

Now granted the SIR has been using 75'cars exclusively since the early 70's' Its very much common knowledge that, for the subways, the 75' car is pretty much off their option table for that reason, and the fact that 60' cars fit everywhere in the B division. And i Seriously can say that There is no chance in a blue hell that they will bring out two different car lengths on one contract. I see SI getting their first fleet of 60 footers.

Because you have a magic ball telling you that the (MTA) won't change their mind on the R211s for SIR.

Don't mean to offend you, of course I also think the R211s will come to SIR but plans can change at anytime, especially since there is no award for the R211s yet and the (MTA) got themselves in more difficult financial situation because of the Sandy hits.

This is overall the main thing. Theres no contract and to add on, as we saw with the 179 contract, Sh$t happens and plans change like underwear.

Now that i think about it, given the Sandy price tag, its a good possibility IMHO that the 46s will have their life stretched out in SI for this reason. I could be wrong, its a guess that just popped into my head, but it might be a doable option. 

See. the thing with 75'cars is less doors. Less doors equals more station times.

Now granted the SIR has been using 75'cars exclusively since the early 70's' Its very much common knowledge that, for the subways, the 75' car is pretty much off their option table for that reason, and the fact that 60' cars fit everywhere in the B division. And i Seriously can say that There is no chance in a blue hell that they will bring out two different car lengths on one contract. I see SI getting their first fleet of 60 footers.

Fair enough...I guess five-car trains of 60 footers wouldn't be bad as it is the same length as a 4-car 75 footer train. Though I wouldn't really be surprised if the next generation of the R211 order maybe 75 footers with ten doors per car....

• 2 months later...

Archived