The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

Question about my RDOs and the crew office.

I called yesterday and was told my RDOs for next week. I called today to find out my next job and a different person said my RDOs are on a different day from what I was told yesterday.  I am not complaining at all but want to know if this is common and if I should call more than once on different days from now on to confirm my RDOs ? 

Last thing I want is I go AWOL thinking my RDO is on a certain day but its not because it changed from the day I called to find out my RDOs, that's all.

Edited by Tommy John

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serious question here. I'm in school car now 1 week so far. How difficult are the exams? Especially signal exam? Because they have all of us paranoid right now with threats of being dismissed. I know passing is 100%. How often do people fail?

I called yesterday and was told my RDOs for next week. I called today to find out my next job and a different person said my RDOs are on a different day from what I was told yesterday. I am not complaining at all but want to know if this is common and if I should call more than once on different days from now on to confirm my RDOs ?

Last thing I want is I go AWOL thinking my RDO is on a certain day but its not because it changed from the day I called to find out my RDOs, that's all.

Serious question here. I'm in school car now 1 week so far. How difficult are the exams? Especially signal exam? Because they have all of us paranoid right now with threats of being dismissed. I know passing is 100%. How often do people fail?

Tommy John, the best thing I learned down here is to always try to have things in black & white on paper. Always follow the sheets!!!!! Whether the sheets are right or wrong, you won't get in trouble because it was on paper. Instead of getting the run around trying to explain so and so told you whatever at the crew office because they will try to pass the buck. So when it comes to jobs, ALWAYS FOLLOW WHAT THE SHEETS SAY AND ALWAYS CHECK THEM. RDOs can change last minute but it's rare. Always call to double check your RDOs on your Friday night, whatever day your Friday happens to be for the week, after 7pm. By then they should be locked in.

Mard, the exams aren't hard at all if you pay attention and apply yourself. Not hard at all. You will go over signals everyday. No reason you should fail. If you fail that means you weren't applying yourself and really didn't want the job or take the training seriously. Yes people have failed and been dismissed. 2 from my class alone were sent back to conductor for exam failures. A couple more from my class fired after school car while on probation for too many incidents. So yes they have no sympathy with letting you go. So pass those tests. And when you hit the road, don't hit signals, overrun stations and don't book off/call out a lot. Simple as that. It's not rocket science. Pretty simple once you put the notes and words into hands on action. Study those signals as often as possible. It was easy for me but may not be for others. The learning curve is huge between people. You will be fine. Your here in the forum so that says a lot. Shows you want the job.

Edited by Success7

Thanks Success7 for the feedback.  It must have been a rare occasion that my RDO changed from calling yesterday and calling again today.  When you say call on Friday after 7pm you mean that my RDO for next week should be set in stone (more or less) ?  There were a few occasion where some of my classmates have jobs scheduled for 6 out of 7 days for the week and had to call them to fix it. 

Sometimes though for some reason my name is not on the sheets, yet the IVR says I have a job and sure enough my name is on the payroll when I sign in... 

If your off on a certain day and want to find out your next job, do you call crew office/check IVR or do you take the time to go to a terminal and look on the sheets even on your day off ??

Na I'm not going in on my RDO to check the sheets lol. I just check IVR or call the crew office because sometimes I'll call the ivr and they won't have a job on there for me so I have no choice but to call the crew office. I say always check the sheets because they have been clutch for me since I hit the road over a year ago. I've called the crew office before and they told me the wrong job so I try to stick to the sheets. Always get the name of the dispatcher you speak to when you call the crew office for your job. I'm glad I finally got to pick. Don't have to deal with the crew office that much anymore. Your rdos may get shuffled around for a bit but by the time the next pick starts you will move waaaaaaaay up on the xtra xtra list so things should change for you. So many guys got to pick its ridiculous. A lot of people will move up on the xx list.

I called yesterday and was told my RDOs for next week. I called today to find out my next job and a different person said my RDOs are on a different day from what I was told yesterday.  I am not complaining at all but want to know if this is common and if I should call more than once on different days from now on to confirm my RDOs ? 

Make sure you Get a Name whom you are talking to... 

They try that stuff get a name so if another party gets involved you got a name to pin their screw up on...

Apply yourself and there shouldn't be any issues Really Study your signals as much as you can.

Yes they aren't playing they will boot you if you fail a practical as well.

Just don't get too nervous and relax. You want the Job bad enough you will be Ok.

Hey I tried to call the IVR just now and the automated response was "the pass number you entered does not match our records" wtf ?? I tried a couple more times and still the same... It worked a few hours ago though ? Anyone ever got this ? Thanks for any inputs

Yes it is we was extra extra for almost FIVE years you have no idea what it was like to have some sort of a life!

I heard about that...CRICKEY!!! Talk about pick guilt. 9 months for us. Then again, TA hired T/Os over the past 3 -4 years like they were going outta style.

Damn.. my hats off to you and everyone else who had it that long.  You guys definitely paid your dues and respect you for that !

Any tips on how to manage life as extra extra ? You ever had 10 or less hours between shifts ?

I have seen some people as extra extra they have bloodshot eyes and are walking zombies man. Its to a point where I would be afraid of them operating because they looked like they could fall asleep standing up.

Drive to work if it takes less than half the time to get to your report location by public transportation. Otherwise, dark sunglasses, black jacket over the shirt, take off the cap and get some sleep until your stop. AND, black shades in your room 'cuz that sun will keep you up if you're pms or mids

really??? Is someone actually gonna snap a picture of you sleeping when they know damn well you're off duty???

Yes they will hey folks learn it quick lotta cell phone freaks out there... Who love to try to catch folks Iike us in compromising positions...

Hey I tried to call the IVR just now and the automated response was "the pass number you entered does not match our records" wtf ?? I tried a couple more times and still the same... It worked a few hours ago though ? Anyone ever got this ? Thanks for any inputs

They have been having issues with that did you use your cell phone? If you was using it is your carrier sprint?

I heard about that...CRICKEY!!! Talk about pick guilt. 9 months for us. Then again, TA hired T/Os over the past 3 -4 years like they were going outta style.

Yeah the funny thing is it made us really appreciate the job a lot more go figure...

RTOMan,  no my carrier is Verizon. I tried my cell and my house phone but still the same problem. With this kind of problem where do I or who do I turn to for this ?  Thanks man for your response at least I know its not just me having this issue. 

Kevinetics,  thanks for the tip man. I totally know what you mean by the sun keeping you up when you trying to get some shut eyes !

Edited by Tommy John

RTOMan,  no my carrier is Verizon. I tried my cell and my house phone but still the same problem. With this kind of problem where do I or who do I turn to for this ?  Thanks man for your response at least I know its not just me having this issue. 

Kevinetics,  thanks for the tip man. I totally know what you mean by the sun keeping you up when you trying to get some shut eyes !

The union has been made aware of the issue..

Question to you guys...

I have noticed since I started to fill out exception claim form that one guy shows me how to fill it out ( late clear, no lunch, board time etc), I hand it to the dispatcher, he says no you fill it out wrong, here do it this way.  Next time that I have to fill out the exception claim form, I do it the dispatcher's way that he showed me, I hand it to a different dispatcher at my job location, he says no you filled it out wrong, do it this way.  So its like literally 3 different people telling me how to fill out an exception claim form for the same type of OT.  Is there some sort of guide on how to properly fill this out for different kinds of OT ??  This is not even including what type of comments that I should put. 3 different people tell me 3 different things to write in the comment section.  I don't want to fill it out wrong then find out I never got paid and have to waste my time calling and getting this fixed.

Question to you guys...

I have noticed since I started to fill out exception claim form that one guy shows me how to fill it out ( late clear, no lunch, board time etc), I hand it to the dispatcher, he says no you fill it out wrong, here do it this way.  Next time that I have to fill out the exception claim form, I do it the dispatcher's way that he showed me, I hand it to a different dispatcher at my job location, he says no you filled it out wrong, do it this way.  So its like literally 3 different people telling me how to fill out an exception claim form for the same type of OT.  Is there some sort of guide on how to properly fill this out for different kinds of OT ??  This is not even including what type of comments that I should put. 3 different people tell me 3 different things to write in the comment section.  I don't want to fill it out wrong then find out I never got paid and have to waste my time calling and getting this fixed.

Just going to post this in general for anyone:

OVERTIME SLIP BASICS

Anything that is on the payroll already you do not have to fill out an overtime slip for.

-If your job starts at one location and ends at another, and deadhead is built in you do not need to fill out a slip (Tip: look at the clearing location and time, underneath the signout time will be the time you are actually paid until).

-If your job is a penalty job, you do not have to fill out a late clear for the penalty.

LATE CLEARS

Late clears are simple. Code 40 for the amount you worked extra, in the comments just indicate why - customer interference with doors, held by track gangs, flagging, rerouted via local track, congestion, track circuit, signal problems, switch problems, sick passenger, police investigation...there are a million reasons to be late, and in the comments write your reasons.

Other scenarios: If you stay late to do a layup (after your clearing time) just write extra layup, if you stay late to work switching, just write worked balance of switching job ###.

BEING ON THE BOARD

If you are on the board, and pick up a whole job - for purposes of the slip, your "job" is the job you picked up, and your start and end times should match the job you picked up. The time you signed onto the board until the time the job starts is your BOARD TIME (code 46).

Example: Report 1300 for extra board. Pick up job 3xx from 1400 to 2200. Your job on the slip is 3xx from 1400 to 2200. Code 46 for 1300-1400 (60 mins OT + 30 mins Bonus). Always leave night diff blank, timekeeping will do it. Comments: Reported 1300 for extra board & picked up job 3xx.

If you are on the board, and pick up part of a job - for purposes of the slip, your "job" is the board job, and your start and end times should match your board report, and your board report + 8 hours. Anything beyond that is a LATE CLEAR (code 40). If the part of the job you work finishes before 8 hours after your report time, you still have to stay at your board location to sign out.

Example #1: Report 1300 for extra board. Pick up the first trip of job 3xx which works 1745-0145. You finish your half of the job at 2130. Your job on the slip is your board job from 1300-2100. You're entitled to a late clear for 2100-2130.

Example #2: Report 1300 for extra board. Pick up job 2xx halfway through which works from 1000-1800. Your job is your board job (let's call it 601) from 1300-2100. You're not entitled to any pay (unless you got a no lunch) because from 1800-2100 you still have boost time.

DEADHEAD (TRAVEL TIME)

If you clear somewhere other than where you started, you are entitled to deadhead. Add deadhead at the very end of the job, when you sign out, after any late clears.

Example #1: Report 1300 for extra board. Pick up job 3xx at a different location from 1400 to 2200. Your job on the slip is 3xx from 1400 to 2200. Code 46 for 1300-1400 (60 mins OT + 30 mins Bonus). If travel time is 24 minutes between where you reported for board and where the job actually clears, add Deadhead (Code 49) for 2200 to 2224 (24 minutes OT + 12 minutes Bonus). Again leave night diff blank, timekeeping will do it. Comments: Reported 1300 at Location #1 for extra board & picked up job 3xx which clears at Location #2, added travel time.

Example #2: Report 1300 for extra board. Pick up job 3xx at a different location from 1400 to 2200 and arrived late on last trip due to flagging at 2206. Your job on the slip is 3xx from 1400 to 2200. Code 46 (Extra Board) for 1300-1400 (60 mins OT + 30 mins Bonus). Late clear (Code 40) for 2200-2206 (6 mins OT + 3 mins Bonus). If travel time is 24 minutes between where you reported for board and where the job actually clears, add Deadhead (Code 49) for 2206 to 2230 (24 minutes OT + 12 minutes Bonus). Again leave night diff blank, timekeeping will do it. Comments: Reported 1300 at Location #1 for extra board & picked up job 3xx. Made xxxx interval out of Opposite Terminal and arrived at Location #2 at 2206 due to flagging at Station. Added travel time.

I made up the numbers above. Always use the deadhead charts to figure out what your travel time is.

BACKING OUT BOOST TIME

If your job works less than 8 hours and has boost time (IE no WAA on the schedule card), you must deduct the boost time from your overtime slip since you cannot be double paid.

Example: Work job 3xx, which works from 1500-2257. Arrive late on last trip at 2305. Your job on the slip is the job, start time 1500, end time 2257. You get a code 40 for late clear, from 2257-2305 but your overtime is 5 minutes + 3 minutes bonus since you are only eligible to be paid overtime for any time after 2300, since 2300 is 8 hours from the start of your day.

NO LUNCH

You are entitled to a no lunch if your scheduled lunch is cut to 19 minutes or less. Code 39, and use the times of your lunch in the From / To boxes. Pay is 30 minutes BONUS only (no overtime). In the comments, write the reason and note the times for your no lunch - IE: made 1551 Flatbush -> 241 and arrived at 1758 with scheduled lunch until 1816 (18 minutes for lunch).

On a yard or station switching job, if you were on a move between your 3rd and 6th hour, hours 3-6 are your lunch hours, still 30 minutes BONUS only pay, and in the comments note that you were on a move for the entirety of that window. IE Comments: Washed train at 239th St. Yard and brought back to Livonia Yard, was on the train between 3rd and 6th hour.

BREAKING IN STUDENT

Two hours pay (Bonus) for the day. Be sure to write the student's name and pass in the comments. Time From / To is the whole job.

WORKING AN RDO

Always 8 hours OT plus 4 hours Bonus. Time From / To is the whole job (even if it's a penalty job since you will automatically get time a half for anything over 8 hours, so this is why you are only putting 8 plus 4...the rest of your overtime is already built into the job!). Do your slip for working an RDO when you sign IN, not when you sign out...it is OK to submit multiple overtime slips throughout the day.

EXTRA TRIP

If you make an extra trip - an extra trip has to begin after your clearing time, otherwise if you are on WAA it is NOT an extra trip! - you are entitled to 4 hours pay (bonus). The difference between your clearing time and the extra trip is "waiting time" - make sure you add this in first also as it is part of continuous time.

If you are posting:

If you are referring to posting, what the dispatcher SHOULD do is put your time from the time it says on your posting paper. So if it says report to E180 at 1310 hrs., he should sign you in as REPORT E180 1310 RELIEF E180 2110.

Now when you fill out your slip, your overtime will be a late clear for anything after 2110. So if you post on a job that clears at 2130, you get 20+10 late clear (code 40). If you post on a job that clears at 2130 and incurs a late clear to 2140, you get 30+15 late clear (still code 40). When posting, ALWAYS put in any deadhead, even if the job you are posting on has it built in as it will be built in for your trainer, NOT YOU! Remember, deadhead goes after any late clears. So if you post on a job that clears somewhere else at 2130 and incurs a late clear to 2140, you still get a 30+15 late clear (code 40) from 2110 to 2140, and (making up 24 minutes travel time again) 24+12 deadhead (code 49) from 2140 to 2204.

If you handle posting this way (and most good dispatchers will do it this way), you should have no problems getting paid. For comments always note that the time you signed on was as instructed on the posting papers, that you posted on job # xxx, and that the job clears at such and such time.

Hope this helps!

Edited by SubwayGuy