MTA: Numbered Subway Lines Late More Often Than Lettered Lines

6 Lexington Ave

The Brooklyn-bound D train often has major gaps in service after 10pm weekdays and there are never any announcements made regarding the delay at a MAJOR transfer station like West 4th, even though the tower operators are right there. There was a 20 minute wait for a D train today at West 4th, at which time two D trains came right after each other at 10:25 and 10:27pm. No announcements were made at West 4th alerting passengers of the delay in service, so that they could have used alternate trains. The tower at West 4th needs to make announcements on the lower level.

The Brooklyn-bound D train often has major gaps in service after 10pm weekdays and there are never any announcements made regarding the delay at a MAJOR transfer station like West 4th, even though the tower operators are right there. There was a 20 minute wait for a D train today at West 4th, at which time two D trains came right after each other at 10:25 and 10:27pm. No announcements were made at West 4th alerting passengers of the delay in service, so that they could have used alternate trains. The tower at West 4th needs to make announcements on the lower level.

The model board at West 4th only goes up to 34th or so, I believe. And like every other B Division model board, it lights up to show that the track is occupied but can't distinguish a B from a D. Unless somebody upstream informs them, there's no way for the tower operators to have any idea that D service is delayed.

Maybe they contracted it to the wrong people? Buses are easy to do. Install a gps unit on the vehicle, link it up to the satellites up above and the world wide web down below. The subway is a completely different ballgame and unlike buses, it's not something that can be replaced on a constant bases. How long did it take for the IRT to get it's ATS and countdown clocks? Almost a decade. The L line with CBTC? Again, almost a decade. Things in the subway don't happen over night not to mention expensive as compared to just installing a box on just over 2,000 buses for way less. Not to mention inflation as the years progress. And you can't say that's an excuse because all you have to do is look in the supermarket for that one. Just as a persons paycheck doesn't rise to meet the current cost of living, the (MTA) doesn't get the amount of money needed to get things done at once.

Here in some countries in Europe it was done in a few years in railroad trains, railroad tunnels and subway tunnels. So I'm not sure why it would take longer in NYC? Is there some difference in regulations perhaps?

Here in some countries in Europe it was done in a few years in railroad trains, railroad tunnels and subway tunnels. So I'm not sure why it would take longer in NYC? Is there some difference in regulations perhaps?

But there's a difference. Europeans pay the taxes needed to get things done. Since us Americans don't like paying the extra taxes, things come a lot slower.

thats because of the work trains they let out of 38th st yard, during the week after 9 they deadhead some (D)'s via Culver to B'way Laffetyte and start service there

Also, you guys need to realise our system is old, PLUS you can't have the B divison have the count down clocks, the B divison don't have the ATS like the A divison, plus the B divison still have older equipment, so its going to be awhile for the contdown clocks to come unless the update the subway cars and etc.

just be glad your train comes when it comes

It can be sectionalized, its not ATS, its the money. It was way over budget in the A division, and they are looking for cheaper solutions. For instance, one doesn't need the expensive ATS system (which will not only tell you that a train is coming, but what train it is) for areas where only one line is running (lets say the (5) along the Dyre branch or the (F) in Brooklyn below Church). The ATS system is most useful in areas where there's multiple lines running on one track with its ability to distinguish between different lines and identify non-revenue trains and make appropiate announcements before those trains come thru.

I personally think the system they have now on ther B div where you get an announcement that the next train is, for example, approaching on the local track or is 2 stations away, is good enough. I don't think te countdown clocks offer enough of an advantage over that system to be worth te money

I'm curious, is ATS a necessary system upgrade on a line before CBTC equipment can be installed,d or do the 2 systems have nothing to do with each other?

2nd Ave is not going to be ATS/CBTC compatible upon opening. For that, the entire Broadway & Brighton line would have to be upgraded, and that won't be happening any time soon. 96 St/2 Av will have a old fashioned tower.

Thanks for clarifying that, I kinda doubted that the MTA will CBTC 2nd Avenue right off the bat, from the start. For many reasons.

I personally think the system they have now on ther B div where you get an announcement that the next train is, for example, approaching on the local track or is 2 stations away, is good enough. I don't think te countdown clocks offer enough of an advantage over that system to be worth te money

That system is completely useless. It doesn't give anybody enough information to help them make routing decisions.

I'm curious, is ATS a necessary system upgrade on a line before CBTC equipment can be installed,d or do the 2 systems have nothing to do with each other?

The two are independent - any form of ATS installed under a wayside signal system would probably have to be thrown out when the wayside signals are replaced by CBTC. And the Canarsie line got ATS as part of the new CBTC system. So any line which is slated to get CBTC soon should probably not get ATS first.

Archived