Rockaway Line Reconstruction Thread

Amtrak7

Pretty much. Plus there's really very little ridership for Lefferts late at night for a full length train. 

Is it really that big a drop at night? those 3 stops have more riders than most of the Rockaways combined (if you discount Far Rock and Howard Beach).

*Not that I think people would be happy waiting 40min for a train to show, but still think Lefferts kinda got the raw deal there.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it because most residents from the Rockaways head for Brooklyn or Manhattan on the (A) during the rush hour and midday periods? I thought there would have been plenty of Rockaway beach crowds regardless.

A lot more people work Monday through Friday than on Saturday and Sunday. People who are at work aren't going to the beach.

Is it really that big a drop at night? those 3 stops have more riders than most of the Rockaways combined (if you discount Far Rock and Howard Beach).

*Not that I think people would be happy waiting 40min for a train to show, but still think Lefferts kinda got the raw deal there.

Why are you discounting Far Rock and Howard Beach?

Assuming the A north of Euclid runs on a 20 minute headway at night and that each branch runs on a 20 minute headway at night, there are three options for late night service:

1. A runs to Lefferts, round-robin shuttle from Euclid serves both Rockaway branches. Riders to the Far Rock side (the busier of the two Rockaway branches, by far) have to take a scenic tour of the Rock Park side before they can get home.
  2. A runs to Lefferts, shuttle from Euclid serves Far Rock, shuttle from Broad Channel serves Rock Park. Riders to the Rock Park side have to transfer to a shuttle, then transfer to a second shuttle.
  3. A runs to Far Rock, shuttle from Euclid serves Lefferts, shuttle from Broad Channel serves Rock Park. The busiest branch gets through service, and nobody else has to transfer more than once.

Option 3 is clearly the best, and that's not even considering the political implications of not providing 24/7 direct service to AirTrain.

A lot more people work Monday through Friday than on Saturday and Sunday. People who are at work aren't going to the beach.

Why are you discounting Far Rock and Howard Beach?

Assuming the A north of Euclid runs on a 20 minute headway at night and that each branch runs on a 20 minute headway at night, there are three options for late night service:

• A runs to Lefferts, round-robin shuttle from Euclid serves both Rockaway branches. Riders to the Far Rock side (the busier of the two Rockaway branches, by far) have to take a scenic tour of the Rock Park side before they can get home.
  • A runs to Lefferts, shuttle from Euclid serves Far Rock, shuttle from Broad Channel serves Rock Park. Riders to the Rock Park side have to transfer to a shuttle, then transfer to a second shuttle.
  • A runs to Far Rock, shuttle from Euclid serves Lefferts, shuttle from Broad Channel serves Rock Park. The busiest branch gets through service, and nobody else has to transfer more than once.
Option 3 is clearly the best, and that's not even considering the political implications of not providing 24/7 direct service to AirTrain.
IMHO during the summer (at least weekends) the (A) should be going to Rockaway Park directly and not Far Rock.

i wonder if there is a way to remind google that the a train is back  :lol:  cause they still have free shuttle from beach 90th street to far rock and the (A) only to jfk lol. :lol:

I did remind them. Waiting on MTA reply.

The GTFS that the MTA website puts out has and always has had the Rockaways and South Ferry. But Google cut them out in November, replacing them with the (H), and they're still on that custom GTFS.

IMHO during the summer (at least weekends) the (A) should be going to Rockaway Park directly and not Far Rock.

Bad idea. The Far Rock side carries the bulk of the ridership every day except possibly very hot weekends. Also, the subway hasn't had a summer pick since the 90's

I did remind them. Waiting on MTA reply.

The GTFS that the MTA website puts out has and always has had the Rockaways and South Ferry. But Google cut them out in November, replacing them with the (H), and they're still on that custom GTFS.

yeah cause broad channel is not there and the 1 only goes to rector street

Dont know about that. I commuted overnights for the last 11 years until i recently moved. the number of riders changing for the lefferts shuttle vs the number of riders on a rockaway train past Liberty Jct after 1am may beg to differ...

• 2 months later...

It started in the early 90s when they eliminated the H, created the Rock Pk S and the Rush Hour Rock Pk A. Prior to that, Lefferst trains ran 24/7. From Midnight to 5am, The H ran from Euclid ave to Rock Park to Far Rock then back to Euclid. It was known as the "Round Robin" Just before the change, they experimented with having a Far Rock bound H wait at 90th St for a Rock Pk H so FR passengers would have a shorter trip. It all came down to the fact that Far Rock has a greater ridership during overnights. So what was done was its current service pattern. Far Rock A 24/7, a Lefferts Shuttle overnights, and a Rock Pk shuttle 24/7. 

Not all the time. 

Interesting. I always thought Lefferts had higher ridership, even overnight.

Nope. Its why they switch which branch got 24/7 service back in the early 90's. Not to mention the Lefferts shuttle is a 4-car opto with a handful of riders everynight- with the exception being the first 3 shuttle trips after midnight. If you watch trains leave rockaway blvd during any time youll see the first couple of cars of the lefferts with a good amount of people compared to the Far Rock having a good amount throughout the train with a good chunk in the middle going to JFK. 

• 3 months later...

Archived