Rockaway Line Reconstruction Thread

Amtrak7

The part where Prince Cuomo's office releases every bit of good news from the (MTA) to pretend he gives a crap about transit is hilarious.

Great to see service being restored so quickly, though. I would've kept the (H) designation for the shuttle, though.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MTA Bus

The MTA has surprised me this year. Ever since Sandy, the MTA has actually been getting stuff done faster than expected.

I wonder which gets restored first: A to Far Rock or service to B116th? Would've been nice to ride from Far Rock to B116th. I too hope they keep the H.

And if it's just the A to Far Rock, is the S going to go from Broad channel to b90th?

On May 30, the service will be the same as it was on October 27.

On the weekend of June 8-9, all GO's on all lines end at or before 5AM Sunday. Could this be the Rockaways restoration? (or is there another reason for this?)

I think the PR parade is that weekend.........

Great news!

I wonder what will happen with the GO this weekend, the (H) shutdown. If it still goes through it might be so they can run test trains, finish whatever work is left, and not to be crazy but possibly make it full length for its last weekend. Next weekend is gonna be awful for the (H).

Track work along the viaduct......

The part where Prince Cuomo's office releases every bit of good news from the (MTA) to pretend he gives a crap about transit is hilarious.

Great to see service being restored so quickly, though. I would've kept the (H) designation for the shuttle, though.

I find it hilarious that when Kendell said that, it got -9 votes, yet here you are with +3. 

Good news, nevertheless.

I find it hilarious that when Kendell said that, it got -9 votes, yet here you are with +3. 

Good news, nevertheless.

Well everyone was convinced that Elmer (Kendell) was a spammer/max foamer by the time he made that post... but yeah, this progress is real amazing; photos on the MTA site do tell a lot!

I find it a little scary that the work was done so quickly after the storm from the standpoint that the bridge after Howard Beach-JFK Airport could be.....delicate. I too would like to see the (H) designation left on the shuttle. I'm gonna go one more time just for pictures. I couldn't take any the first time cause it was raining.

The H runs between Far Rockaway and Beach 90th. It won't be running after May 30. The shuttle between Rockaway Park and Broad Channel serves an entirely different function - why should it have the same letter?

I wonder which gets restored first: A to Far Rock or service to B116th? Would've been nice to ride from Far Rock to B116th. I too hope they keep the H.

And if it's just the A to Far Rock, is the S going to go from Broad channel to b90th?

Both will be restored at the same time.

On May 30, the service will be the same as it was on October 27.

That means that the A Rockaway Park, S shuttle from Rockaway Park to Far Rockaway Mott Av and A from Far Rockaway Mott Ave to 07 St Manhattan will resume service I hope so.

I find it a little scary that the work was done so quickly after the storm from the standpoint that the bridge after Howard Beach-JFK Airport could be.....delicate. I too would like to see the (H) designation left on the shuttle. I'm gonna go one more time just for pictures. I couldn't take any the first time cause it was raining.

I didn't even realize that both tracks were being worked on at the same time.

This will serve the public transportation for the summer

Buses don't need a convoy of shuttle buses

They were working on replacing the old tracks between Beach 60 St & Beach 67 St, that last section of old track is in really bad shape and has been holding off replacement for a year now. I saw the work train on Saturday with what I believe was the MOW train. 

The shuttle bus service was really poor for the Mott Ave - B116 St shuttle, at one point there were only four buses out at a time. Four 40-foot buses for three 300-foot trains? I can see why they put that D60HF on the Q22.

That also makes sense why they put three D60HF's (1003, 1009 & 1014) on the Q52, most of the runs were short-turn runs to Liberty, Im pretty sure the MTA was expecting more people to use the (H) Shuttle bus to the Q52 rather than the (A) shuttle bus.

Am I the only one that thinks Rock Park was finished a month ago, and they just said screw it, B90 only gets two riders a train, nobodys gonna take it over the Q53, just keep it closed?

Also good thinking @LupoJohn regarding the bridge. That thought didn't even cross my mind.

I rode the (H) yesterday, they replaced the track going towards Mott Avenue between Beach 67 and Beach 60, trains no longer go 10 mph into Beach 60. The rest of the old track is still there, of which trains go normal speed on.

The H runs between Far Rockaway and Beach 90th. It won't be running after May 30. The shuttle between Rockaway Park and Broad Channel serves an entirely different function - why should it have the same letter?

Because the original designation for the Rockaway shuttle was (H)? And the (MTA) still uses that designation internally to refer to it.

Because the original designation for the Rockaway shuttle was (H)? And the (MTA) still uses that designation internally to refer to it.

That's what I been screaming for months now. Everyone thinking the (H) disappearing forever or some shit like that, but yet it never left in the first place.

Finally someone gets it...

I piloted a test train from Howard Beach to Far Rock on Tuesday night/Wed morning. It was a good ride. Only 1 or 2 signals that were screwy, and I hit one of the stupid birds that fly into the train.

Does it still count as a 12-9 :P

mta updated the service advisory for the  (A) train though its the same since after service was restored in the immediate aftermath of sandy and now has an end date. 

Sandy Reroute

Posted: 05/23/2013  3:59PM

Until Thursday May 30, 2013:

a.png No trains between Howard Beach-JFK/Broad Channel and the Rockaways due to damage sustained during hurricane Sandy.

Free Shuttle buses operate nonstop between Howard Beach a.png and Mott Av h.png Stations.

h.png Free shuttle trains operate between Mott Av and Beach 90 St, days and evenings.

Q22 buses provide local service in the Rockaways.

Find out more at: http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/RebuildingRockawaysAfterHurricanSandy.htm

I piloted a test train from Howard Beach to Far Rock on Tuesday night/Wed morning. It was a good ride. Only 1 or 2 signals that were screwy, and I hit one of the stupid birds that fly into the train.

What was the walkthrough like?  Did they have you run the train across and then when you made the station stops c/r opened on wrong side or was it a test train where you ran it to far rock straight no stops etc?

No its not.

The original designation is the S shuttle train from Broad Channel to Rockaway Park.

They also have an Rockaway Park A train.

The H was designated since Hurricane Sandy which was lifted by a crane hoisted on the tracks and built therein.

The H train is only running from Far Rockaway/Mott Ave to Beach 90 Street.

mta updated the service advisory for the  (A) train though its the same since after service was restored in the immediate aftermath of sandy and now has an end date. 

Sandy Reroute

Posted: 05/23/2013  3:59PM

Until Thursday May 30, 2013:

a.png No trains between Howard Beach-JFK/Broad Channel and the Rockaways due to damage sustained during hurricane Sandy.

Free Shuttle buses operate nonstop between Howard Beach a.png and Mott Av h.png Stations.

h.png Free shuttle trains operate between Mott Av and Beach 90 St, days and evenings.

Q22 buses provide local service in the Rockaways.

Find out more at: http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/RebuildingRockawaysAfterHurricanSandy.htm

Now this a.png service to the Rockaways resumes May 30, 2012

Seem to be some good news.

The only problem is that this is 2013 not 2012.

Hurricane Sandy occurred Oct 2012 lol

Does it still count as a 12-9 :P

He did say they were stupid birds... sooo Nope, they don't count! :lol:

Now this a.png service to the Rockaways resumes May 30, 2012

Seem to be some good news.

The only problem is that this is 2013 not 2012.

Hurricane Sandy occurred Oct 2012 lol

Haa, that one little typo though.... :D

Archived