Got called from NICE and it wasnt soooo NICE

nuyorican

No offense either but riding buses all day is nothing like driving them. Driving them wares on you more, and it's not like driving a car either with comfy seats and a suspension that's easy on ur body.

I wasn't comparing the experience of riding on a bus with driving one - my point was that most bus fans only ride a bus for 30 minutes or one hour at a time. A bus operator is on that bus for three to five hours per shift, eight hours or more a day, with very limited breaks and dealing with the public the whole time

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't comparing the experience of riding on a bus with driving one - my point was that most bus fans only ride a bus for 30 minutes or one hour at a time. A bus operator is on that bus for three to five hours per shift, eight hours or more a day, with very limited breaks and dealing with the public the whole time

Three to five hours? Don't you guys have a law that permits them from taking an earlier break if it's long routes with lots of bus stops? We do have that here.

I wasn't implying you were - just adding what I posted in addition..... :)

Three to five hours? Don't you guys have a law that permits them from taking an earlier break if it's long routes with lots of bus stops? We do have that here.

Let's say a driver is doing the n4, Freeport to Jamaica is at least an hour, an hour and 15 min easily the driver will then turn around in Jamaica and do Jamaica to Freeport so you easily have 2 - 2 and a half hours with no real break. A driver can use a bathroom in Jamaica if needed, When I'm on the LIRR I ofen see nice bus drivers park the bus a block up from the last stop in Jamaica (a little bit from the first Jamaica --> Freeport stop) so I figure they are taking a bathroom break or getting a snack. Anyone who has watched the buses come and go in Freeport has seen that drivers on routes like the n4 drop off in Freeport and go right back around to go to Jamaica, Sometimes you'll see a driver park and then a supervisor go talk to them and a few minutes later they are going back to Jamaica. They all seem to have time to use a bathroom or go over to dunkin donuts or at least the coffee stand right at the RR. But that's at easily 4 to 4and a half hours without a real break.

BTW I've always wondered, the LIRR ticket office where the bathrooms are located close at something like 2pm, to nice drivers have access to the bathrooms in the ticket office? Do they have a private bathroom (just for staff) to use at the facility?

Well, I know NICE has a bathroom at Roosevelt Field Bus Terminal and there's a public bathroom at Hempstead. But as far as LIRR stations, I believe the NICE operators only use the public ones, at least when the waiting rooms are open. Is there a bathroom at 165th St Bus Terminal, I never looked?

Meal breaks and recovery time is typically covered in a union contract.  Still, it's not uncommon for a break between runs to be as short as 5 minutes, although sometimes a driver can grab a few extra minutes and leave the starting point of a route late and make up time along the way.  

Meal breaks and recovery time is typically covered in a union contract.  Still, it's not uncommon for a break between runs to be as short as 5 minutes, although sometimes a driver can grab a few extra minutes and leave the starting point of a route late and make up time along the way.  

Wouldn't it also be covered under state law?  An employee working more than 6 hours is entitled to 2 15 minute "smoking" breaks and 1 half hour meal break OR  one full hour break? 

I've always had problems (more so under LIB bc I don't really ride the bus that often anymore) of drivers being being more than 5 min early.  My beef with that is that they don't about why they are there to do the job, to give the community a ride, but are more concerend with being in Freeport as soon as possible to have more of a break.

This is more common with some drivers than others, when I would take the bus every morning one driver would be at least 7-8 minutes early like clock work, I'd try to be out there 10 minutes early but some mornings what can you do.  And with my luck the next driver would be 5 minutes late (these were the same two drivers every day btw). 

It would happen to me early morning on the N19, I'm not going to lie about this!  Because I'd be early but still just miss the bus I'd be waiting 40 minutes some mornings because like I said the next bus would be 5 min late like clock work.

That was in the past...  I rode the bus last week and the bus came exactly the minute it was scheduled, so in my expereince nice is on point 1000% better than MTA LIB!

Wouldn't it also be covered under state law?  An employee working more than 6 hours is entitled to 2 15 minute "smoking" breaks and 1 half hour meal break OR  one full hour break?  

I'm not sure what law it's covered under since we're talking about drivers.  I assume that the state law you reference is covered since transit drivers get at least a meal break between the first half and second half of their work day.

It would happen to me early morning on the N19, I'm not going to lie about this!  Because I'd be early but still just miss the bus I'd be waiting 40 minutes some mornings because like I said the next bus would be 5 min late like clock work.

That was in the past...  I rode the bus last week and the bus came exactly the minute it was scheduled, so in my expereince nice is on point 1000% better than MTA LIB!

I wish I could say the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

On Friday, I was waiting on Old Country Road for the N48 or N24 to Hicksville . The N24 was supposed to arrive about 10-15 mins before the N48. The N24 was late, as I didn't see it, but the N48 was early, but since I was going to Whole Foods anyway it worked out. I just didn't want to be in the cold any longer than I had to be. Late buses make a difference in the winter!

Here's some things I know about the airport shuttles I figured I'd let ya know about:

-The Port Authority-controlled routes at JFK mainly go from Federal Circle to cargo areas, and go around lont term parking lots taking customers from the AirTrain station to their cars and emergency AirTrain shuttle service. LGA has the A and B routes which are basically terminal loops. As Burrstone said, all are operated by Air Serv.

-There are employee shuttles at LGA operated by Air Serv using cutaway buses.

-Now the employee shuttle system at JFK is a little different. It seems that most of the airlines have their own employee shuttle systems, and most contract them out to a company called Golden Touch. It's owned by Veolia, but the real operator of those buses is actually Academy through a franchise. They seem to have Gilligs, Orion Vs, and RTSs as well as cutaways.

-If you're considering EWR, the Port Auhority buses go to economy parking and serve as AirTrain backups, they are all Orion 7s as well but they are operated by Academy directly. Golden Touch runs most or all the employee shuttles there and I believe they run the airside shuttle for United Airlines (which IIRC uses Thomas SLF buses), and it seems they use mainly cutaways.

I probably didn't tell you everything about those employee buses since not all are operated by Golden Touch and there are probably much more than I know of out there. Good luck!

Here's some things I know about the airport shuttles I figured I'd let ya know about:

-The Port Authority-controlled routes at JFK mainly go from Federal Circle to cargo areas, and go around lont term parking lots taking customers from the AirTrain station to their cars and emergency AirTrain shuttle service. LGA has the A and B routes which are basically terminal loops. As Burrstone said, all are operated by Air Serv.

-There are employee shuttles at LGA operated by Air Serv using cutaway buses.

-Now the employee shuttle system at JFK is a little different. It seems that most of the airlines have their own employee shuttle systems, and most contract them out to a company called Golden Touch. It's owned by Veolia, but the real operator of those buses is actually Academy through a franchise. They seem to have Gilligs, Orion Vs, and RTSs as well as cutaways.

-If you're considering EWR, the Port Auhority buses go to economy parking and serve as AirTrain backups, they are all Orion 7s as well but they are operated by Academy directly. Golden Touch runs most or all the employee shuttles there and I believe they run the airside shuttle for United Airlines (which IIRC uses Thomas SLF buses), and it seems they use mainly cutaways.

I probably didn't tell you everything about those employee buses since not all are operated by Golden Touch and there are probably much more than I know of out there. Good luck!

So, a joint contract between Veolia and Academy? Really, thats quite interesting....

• 1 month later...

Fixed Route and ParaTransit Bus Drivers Wanted

OPEN HOUSE
Monday, March 4, 2013
10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Veolia Transportation/NICE
700 Commercial Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530

Looking for service oriented candidates.
Up to $1,000 incentive bonus for new drivers.
Candidates must possess a valid NYS CDL class B license with full P and Airbrake endorsements.
If you are unable to attend our Open House but would still like to be considered for a position, please visit our website at:
http://www.nicebus.com/About_NICE/Job_Opportunities/index.html

Veolia Transportation is an equal opportunity employer

Diane S. Ialenti
Director of Human Resources

700 Commercial Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530

Office: 516-542-0100 x4505
Cell: 516-749-4716
Email: Diane.Ialenti@veoliatransdev.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Found this penny saver when I was out and about (someone turned it upside down and I noticed the ad on the back)...

muxl7MB.jpg

Not bad!  40 hour week, starting out making $732-$822 a week before taxes are taken out ("the starting driver's pay 0f $18.30-$20.55 is one of the highest of any bus company.) Although it doesn't mention any benefits besides life insurance.   

• 1 month later...

They using useless weekend shuttle. n23 and n27 and n27 and n20 is not working out at all without n27 going back to RFM and n21 need.

Last saturday, n27 missed n20 and n23 twice and day before yesterday, n23 missed n27.

There's less service on n20, so n21 is truly needed.

They using useless weekend shuttle. n23 and n27 and n27 and n20 is not working out at all without n27 going back to RFM and n21 need.

Last saturday, n27 missed n20 and n23 twice and day before yesterday, n23 missed n27.

There's less service on n20, so n21 is truly needed.

Hmmm, you think NICE is so useless? You think you know how to solve all the problems you and LIBRU complain about? I don't see you going to work for them? You're unemployed, why don't you go for your CDL and work for NICE, since you ride NICE everyday anyway...

I said only n20/n23 and n23/n27 combo is useless because they're suppose to connect to each other according NICE Bus and connecting buses are suppose to wait, but some drivers drive slow, and we have to wait an hour day before yesterday for next n27.

I said only n20/n23 and n23/n27 combo is useless because they're suppose to connect to each other according NICE Bus and connecting buses are suppose to wait, but some drivers drive slow, and we have to wait an hour day before yesterday for next n27.

I know what you said, but you could always join NICE and show them how to drive a bus fast and fix those connection issues you and LIBRU always "complain" about.

Archived