Breaking News: American Airlines to merge with US Airways

As many may know, AA and US have been in merger talks for quite sometime. As of this evening, plans for the deal are said to be final in as little as 2 weeks. Of all pans out, history would be made.

America West Took over US Airways, and retained the US name. Now this same industry defying management team, is planning to take over one of the most legendary legacy carriers of all time.

I think the big airlines merging and creating a bigger airline hurts the passengers.  With all these mergers competetion becomes less and less with little competition they can raise their rates.  I hope this doesn't raise ticket prices!  Ticket prices are already high this winter, I was waiting for them to drop after the holiday's, then after the new year, but the prices are still up there. 

After this deal with Soutwest and Airtran I feel Southwest's ticket prices are higher and rivaling the major carrier.  Southwest is supposed to be a discount carrier, but I guess someone has to pay for this deal (the pax)!

This summer Southwest stranded me in Baltimore because of an engine problem I didn't want to wait around for four hours so I went up to Airtran who refused to honor my Southwest ticket I was given a snotty attitude saying they "are two diff. companies."

As I walked away I noticed a sign on a kiosk with both company's logo's ...  Nice.

Damn, UA got CO, SW got AirTran, and now US is gonna get American. This sure is interesting...

As long as they don't touch JetBlue, I honestly don't give a damn lol.

Yeahh mann, thats all i ride, i know all my flights i've ridden, with the last one being 863 and 864 to/from domican republic

As for American Airlines and US Airways, what would the name be? I see american airlines received a new tailwing logo, as seen here.

http://files.doobybrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/american-airlines-new-livery-design-2.jpg

so i guess that^ would have something to do with the livery.

Damn, UA got CO, SW got AirTran, and now US is gonna get American. This sure is interesting...

Here's the historical list. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airline_mergers_and_acquisitionshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airline_mergers_and_acquisitions

AA and US have been in talks for a while. It was bound to go through. All these airlines are buying eachother out.

Sometimes the talks don't always pan out, so you can never be sure until the deal is signed. US Airways proposed a merger with AA a few years back and it was rejected quite fast. They also made a bid for Delta in 2006, which was immediately rejected and viewed as a hostile takeover.

This has also posed a few problem for the AA executives, as the terms in an America West (now US Airways) merger always call for the current CEO to retain his position at the new carrier. Essentially, Doug comes in as an aggressive CEO with a track record for performance, and wants to move up through the ranks through acquisition.

I think the big airlines merging and creating a bigger airline hurts the passengers.  With all these mergers competetion becomes less and less with little competition they can raise their rates.  I hope this doesn't raise ticket prices!  Ticket prices are already high this winter, I was waiting for them to drop after the holiday's, then after the new year, but the prices are still up there. 

After this deal with Soutwest and Airtran I feel Southwest's ticket prices are higher and rivaling the major carrier.  Southwest is supposed to be a discount carrier, but I guess someone has to pay for this deal (the pax)!

This summer Southwest stranded me in Baltimore because of an engine problem I didn't want to wait around for four hours so I went up to Airtran who refused to honor my Southwest ticket I was given a snotty attitude saying they "are two diff. companies."

As I walked away I noticed a sign on a kiosk with both company's logo's ...  Nice.

It depends on the situation and every merger is unique. You also have to realize that even though one company may take over/merge with another doesn't mean those two companies are together or even know anything about the other. Many times some of the employees are not excited about the merger either. Since you caught an Air Tran attendant at a time when the companies had officially merged, yet continued to operate as two separate companies until the merger is complete.

In the case of US Airways, a takeover was the best for most all parties involved. Operating costs reduced, the fleet was updated, and US has reported 6 consecutive quarters of profit. This could be a goof thing for American. However, it will prove to be very challenging, and AA isn't completely sold just yet.

In Europe, the trend is to merge and keep separate identities. In the US the trend is merge, integrate, and streamline. 

It's ok, but the original AA livery was iconic to me. It was the only one to last for as long as it did.

After this I can see Delta buying out Alaska Airlines and starting another round of mergers.

Anything is possible

Don't forget Lufthansa owns 19% of JetBlue, and they may become a Star Alliance member very soon. 

When Continental and United merged, that spelled the end of Continental and the SkyTeam alliance, and strengthened the Star Alliance which is , and has always been the world largest airline alliance. Founded by United and Lufthansa, it would only make since for the new United to retain its status, and for JetBlue to join the team.

If anymore mergers were to ensue, I could see link-ups like:

Alaska > Hawaiian (Keeping both brands)

American > Alaska, Hawaiian 

Delta > Alaska, Hawaiian

Hawaiian > Alaska (Keep both brands)

Southwest > Alaska, Frontier

United > Frontier

This is all we have left now....

Note: Delta is leasing AirTran's 717's, which Southwest are selling back to Boeing Capital

It depends on the situation and every merger is unique. You also have to realize that even though one company may take over/merge with another doesn't mean those two companies are together or even know anything about the other. Many times some of the employees are not excited about the merger either. Since you caught an Air Tran attendant at a time when the companies had officially merged, yet continued to operate as two separate companies until the merger is complete.

This is true but look at it from the average customers view...  If you slap both logos on everything in the airport prematurely what is the average customer supposed to think?  The average customer is not reading and keeping up on the highlights of the merger, I know I wasn't this was at a time when I was extremly busy and heard about the merger in the past and thought "huh, cool that is a done dea.l"   I'm not going to get into what a good policy it would've been for Airtran to honor Southwest's tickets and vice versa if they are co-branding everything in the airport at that time.  I was fine I went outside for some fresh air, got some pics of New Flyer parking lot shuttles BUT IMO this is a move that would've lost a customer who doesn't fly often, maybe once or twice a year for their vacation, who doesn't follow this news but sees both airlines on everything but is turned away with an attitude.  What are they to think?  This will push that customer to another airline the next time they book a ticket at a time when the airlines are at war.  But I guess this has more to do with customer service and less to do with industry news, so... 

I dont see either Alaskan Air or Hawaiian Air making a merger with anyone.  The markets they serve and the codeshare options they provide makes them too profitable to try and marry one airlines.  Maybe a merger with eachother is possible but I dont see Alaskan or Hawaiian merging with a main line carrier anytime soon.

As for AA's new theme, the tail completely ruins it for me.  I also hope both airlines learned from their prior merger mistakes and actually make something of their combined assets.  

Archived