Pols: Let’s make a spot for the G train

Harry

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Brooklyn, even middays the Fulton line is like a ghost town other than broadway junction and maybe Utica. Cpw, you aren't saving much time running the express. Perhaps they should split the A, like send it to lefferts and run the other portion with a shuttle from Euclid or rockaway blvd.

C should've had 10 car trains instead of being stuck for another 40 yrs as 8 car trains, too bad about the r32s, they aren't going anywhere till all the r179s are here, just deal with it.

I believe the (C) has plenty of seat availability during the off-peak because many Fulton Street riders are already in Manhattan (or Downtown Brooklyn) working. It certainly isn't empty when its running, since its crushloaded at rush hour from my prespective. Not only that, but there are lots of people in the summer who use it for Natural History of Museum. And its 10-12 minute headways are capable of handling the amount of passengers it carries when its running.

Back to the (G), yes the (MTA) should start improve service on the IND Crosstown Line as the areas are growing there. I love to see increase service and full length trains on the (G) (and (C)). I hope for it to happen sometime in the future.

The line is quite lightly traveled early evenings too (i.e. around 7:30 PMish).

Must be because for most who are commuting from the LIC financial district also the industrial parks end their shifts at approximately 5PM from when I've worked there for the DOE last year I've noticed. I think. But with that stretch to the Metropolitan Ave hub, always busy, as others and myself (you too) discussed.

Realizm: When I said the G, I mean late nights when the E is the only line running local and weekends when it is just the R. Basically when the M isn't there, QB has only 1 local line serving it. What I want is for QB to be 2 locals all the time like it used to be in the early part of the V's existence. No bottlenecks at all. I am well aware you can't run 3 locals at the same time to 71st.

We could just bring the (V) back. Even the (W) will be coming back when the 2nd Ave line opens so why not? The extra service of the (V) is a welcome addition.

It was a separate discussion. Just go back a page or 2.

It is indeed a separate discussion. That's why I questioned it.

As an addendum, they can also make an out of station transfer at Fulton St to Atlantic center....there were rumblings about a tunnel, but I think an OOS transfer would be helpful there.

W is not only possible, it is certain.

True, I'm sure it will definitely happen by 2016 at the very latest when the 2nd Ave Line is all green lights for revenue service. (I wonder if the straphangers will ride the (W) again in just their draws in celebration of the return of the (W)? Maybe I should participate and wear nothing but underwear and a bow tie.... with combat boots.... Yeah. no? Maybe?)

True, I'm sure it will definitely happen by 2016 at the very latest when the 2nd Ave Line is all green lights for revenue service. (I wonder if the straphangers will ride the (W) again in just their draws in celebration of the return of the (W)? Maybe I should participate and wear nothing but underwear and a bow tie.... with combat boots.... Yeah. no? Maybe?)

Only as certain as the political representation of Astoria. Let's not forget the politicians are a major reason that Astoria gets what it wants. I doubt the MTA really wanted to run all of its Broadway services through a single track in each direction during peak hours.

Only as certain as the political representation of Astoria. Let's not forget the politicians are a major reason that Astoria gets what it wants. I doubt the MTA really wanted to run all of its Broadway services through a single track in each direction during peak hours.

Well don't forget that fact that the (N) was a Broadway Express along with the (Q) also as an express terminating at 57th Street which from where the ROW to the 2nd Ave line starts, during the duration of the (W) on Broadway before it's demise as a local, which was a hit with the supplemental (R) local service. With the new connection from 57th Street to 63rd Lex and up 2nd Ave which the (Q) will utilize without interference at the swithes past 34th street I think that this could actually work with out the unnecessary bottlenecking at that point of the line. (Yeah I know it's bad as it is already)

The (MTA) will do what they'll do come 2016-2020. Just be ready for the unexpected. It's most likely that the BMT Astoria Line will get its headways adjusted to make the impact on ridership slightly less stressful. The (MTA) has always been logical.

Well don't forget that fact that the (N) was a Broadway Express along with the (Q) also as an express terminating at 57th Street which from where the ROW to the 2nd Ave line starts, during the duration of the (W) on Broadway before it's demise as a local, which was a hit with the supplemental (R) local service. With the new connection from 57th Street to 63rd Lex and up 2nd Ave which the (Q) will utilize without interference at the swithes past 34th street I think that this could actually work with out the unnecessary bottlenecking at that point of the line. (Yeah I know it's bad as it is already)

Censin: I forgot to mention in my post that in my opinion the (W) was not directly the cause and effect of the pressure from Astoria community leaders initially. Why?

Because remember the (W) was implemented as  the result of needed repairs on the south side of the Manny B by the DOT. So that side was was closed and well service wasstill  needed on the West End Line. Thus the implematation of the (W) Broadway express. Then of course the (W) needed a terminus so Ditmars was that terminus. They also did this with the (B) reroute via Broadway back when the DOT needed to work on the north side of the bridge in the 80's so it was natural to the MTA to send West End Line trains to Astoria. it worked when they shut down the north side of the bridge and the Christie St Connection, so why not?

Anyway, so after the service was restored on the south end of the bridge in 2001 they decided to run the (W) as a local. Then the MTA ended up in the deficit and so the (W) faded into history. Now that we are anticipating a surplus once again with the capital budget it would be feasible for the MTA to bring back the (W).

Now that's where your point comes in, as since then, there was a very rapid population surge in Astoria necessitating the need for two Broadway services since when the repair work on the south end of the Manny B began with the DOT.

Now with  the (Q) going to 2nd Ave, the logical solution then would be for the MTA to bring back the (W) to maintain a continuum of service on a now much more densely populated neighboorhood called Astoria. I can almost guarantee you that's exactly the logic of the MTA, to do just that!

Archived