MTA delays new system that will replace MetroCards with 'smart' debit or credit cards

Via Garibaldi 8

MetroCard Touch... I like that.

I'm amazed at how long it's going to take to make the switch. Right now, we just need [or, I at least expected to have] an upgraded MetroCard system where we can just tap-and-go. How much faster would bus boarding be with that system in place? ...And swiping on the bus is a no-no. That would take even longer than dipping. Swipe too fast... Swipe too slow... Delays galore. I remember the old fareboxes having a card swipe area.

found from youtube

i m not sure does it always work like this, but it looks cool and efficient ^_^

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

found from youtube

That's the Octopus Card in Hong Kong, which is not only a valid fare medium on its trains, but on its buses, minibuses, taxis, and parking meters. They're also functional as debit cards and are accepted at most retail venues in the territory, as well as in the neighboring city of Shenzhen and the nearby territory of Macau.

It's really sad when you consider how much potential a card like this has, and that full rollout of the card in Hong Kong was in 1997 - coincidentally, the same year that Metrocard was fully rolled out.

The MTA should pursue a smart card (Think Oyster Card) system as well. Not everyone that uses Public Transport has a credit or debit card so that should be an option too. Those who use debit/credit cards or the smart cards can pay slightly less than those who just use cash. That's just my thoughts anyway.

That has always been a part of the plan. There will probably be an MTA-branded debit card that only works on MTA facilities for those who don't have or prefer not to use their own credit or debit card - but don't be surprised if there's a fee for the card.

The idea is to encourage people to use their own cards (or phones or whatever other technology can be used for payments), not to force them to use something they might not have.

How would they implement transfers? or is this for quick one time uses? I think they may go ahead with this to reduce the need for MVM machines and maintenance.

I mean, the technical specifications of such a project haven't been released, so I wouldn't be able to tell you...

TVMs will still be necessary for single-trip riders and reloading the farecards that hopefully go along with it, so it's probably more of a customer-oriented convenience thing. This is the only thing I can really think of where the MTA is going out of its way to accommodate its customers - most other times, they're either playing catch-up with their peer systems or giving straphangers the cold shoulder.

That's the Octopus Card in Hong Kong, which is not only a valid fare medium on its trains, but on its buses, minibuses, taxis, and parking meters. They're also functional as debit cards and are accepted at most retail venues in the territory, as well as in the neighboring city of Shenzhen and the nearby territory of Macau.

It's really sad when you consider how much potential a card like this has, and that full rollout of the card in Hong Kong was in 1997 - coincidentally, the same year that Metrocard was fully rolled out.

Someone is going to use the excuse: but New York City is not like Hong Kong!

So? Things take time. And those systems are nowhere near as big as ours. Even if it was about to be rolled out tomorrow, it would still take about 1 1/2-2 years to refit every turnstile and bus within the city.

Yes things do take time.If we had started at the same time others did,I gurantee you we'd have the system up and running with little to no problems by now.But as usual,the MTA is too damn slow and stupid and now we have to wait eons for a technology that we should've jumped on after seeing success from a few cities at most.

Screw this, keep the MetroCard. I don't like the idea of wireless ANYTHING that deals with payments. I like having a card which nobody can just go near and start collecting data.

I guess that means you don't use any credit cards then w/the wireless technology... Really isn't that big of a deal. There is a way you can protect yourself in any event.

Yes things do take time.If we had started at the same time others did,I gurantee you we'd have the system up and running with little to no problems by now.But as usual,the MTA is too damn slow and stupid and now we have to wait eons for a technology that we should've jumped on after seeing success from a few cities at most.

The issue of scale is total BS at this point, because all of Japan's major metropolitan areas accept the Suica card, and there's pretty much no transit system in the world that matches Japan's systems in scale.

MTA is probably going to keep dragging its feet though, even though there's already a working transit smartcard system less than a block away from its stations.

I guess that means you don't use any credit cards then w/the wireless technology... Really isn't that big of a deal. There is a way you can protect yourself in any event.

Not to mention there are smartcard standards which address the problem. For example, Sony's FeLiCa standard solves the problem by supplying power to the RFID from the card reader, not from a battery in the card itself. Since you need the RFID to be powered to read it in the first place, you'd need to be carrying a compatible card reader and a power source for it.

Also, just because it isn't wireless doesn't mean it's not safe - didn't South Carolina get all of its tax data stolen a few months ago?

I hate the fact of knowing that someone who I don't know knows where I am (except the goverment).

RFID cards only have a range of about 25 centimeters or so.

And how close are people on a rush hour train?

No I do not. Chase gave me one of those. I took a hammer to the RFID chip.

Don't like RFID??? so don't use it~~~ :lol:

Just like other systems, they keep the traditional magnetic card system for the riders who do not have the smartcard, like tourists, rarely riders, and some people like you

People still have their choices ^_^

• 1 month later...

found from youtube

Saw the video and thats exactly how everyone in DC does it whether they have the SmarTrip card physically in their hand or,as shown in the video,in mini purses,wallets,etc. I like the name a previous poster used;Metrocard Touch.Sounds awesome.Using credit/debit cards sounds stupid.

Screw this, keep the MetroCard. I don't like the idea of wireless ANYTHING that deals with payments. I like having a card which nobody can just go near and start collecting data.

Late on this but I know what you mean. Credit card scammers who carry black boxes that are easily concealable, about the size of a deck of cards with circuit boards to capture credit card data. They run programs on their computers to decipher the data then upload it on a blank magnetic strip card (a gift card or something) then go on shopping sprees. But the FBI has cracking down on this with limited success so far. I've met a dude who actually does this that's how I came to be in the know about this sort of high tech criminal activity. Very, very alarming to say the least

To be honest let's just sick with the MetroCard. It's there already in place and works fine. I mean sure there are swiping mishaps but one just goes to the agent and he or she will hook you up of course always take the receipt.I'd say no to the smart card because not everyone has credit or debit cards and not everyone has a smartphone with NFC. And in addition it's solid state meaning that it won't be easy to fix mechanically.

To be honest let's just sick with the MetroCard. It's there already in place and works fine. I mean sure there are swiping mishaps but one just goes to the agent and he or she will hook you up of course always take the receipt.I'd say no to the smart card because not everyone has credit or debit cards and not everyone has a smartphone with NFC. And in addition it's solid state meaning that it won't be easy to fix mechanically.

I would disagree... While the MetroCards have been improved, they are certainly not where they should be... We still have to go to a subway station to refill the cards and if you forget to refill your card and live in a more suburban area where there are no subways, it's a total PITA to get a MetroCard since the few stores that may sell it often run out or don't have the one that you need, and they also only accept cash to boot.  I think at this point and time you should be able to refill your MetroCard online and the (MTA) should create a separate website for this so as not to clog up the main site. 

Archived