1999 New Flyer up for auction via copart (any info?)

Burrstone

I was looking at buses on copart (big salvage auction throughout the US) and stumbled upon this.  The bus has no numbers and has really sparked my curiosity.  Does anyone know what's up with this bus?

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e19s1&lotId=18643212&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS#
lRuFcFD.jpg 

nEoGAgy.jpg

fasRweM.jpg

R4XQpAF.jpg

d0vDOLU.jpg

i9EPHDp.jpg

QdOgDIV.jpg

ggCYtIU.jpg

ACV:

$0 USD

322.JPG
     Repair Cost:
        $0 USD
            Title State/Type:
    NY 

CLEAN TITLE

Odometer:
EXEMPT
            Primary Damage:
        MINOR DENTS/SCRATCHES
            Secondary Damage:

VIN: 5FYC2LL01XU019700
         Body Style: BUS
            Color: WHITE
            Engine: 8.5L 4
            Drive: Rear-wheel Drive
            Cylinders: 4
         Fuel:
        COMPRESS
            Keys: NO

Representatives:

CLIFFORD CATULLO
                 -
                 General Manager

(cliff.catullo@copart.com)

CHERIE HARGROVE
                 -
                 Regional Manager

(cherie.hargrove@copart.com)

Office Hours:

8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. Monday through Friday.

Please allow 24 hrs for response.
             Physical Address:

1983 MONTAUK HIGHWAY

BROOKHAVEN,
                     NY  

Phone:
                     (631) 776-0994

Fax:
                     (631) 776-1724

Mailing Address:

1983 MONTAUK HIGHWAY

BROOKHAVEN,
                     NY  

More Information:

Sales are held MULTIPLE SALE DAYS PER WEEK at     12:00
(see the calendar for more information) Preview and preliminary bidding
are available one day prior to the sale day and until one hour before
the start of the virtual sale.        

I don't know, go all the way out to Suffolk just to see an old New Flyer C40LF. The other ones were auctioned off from within the city on eBay. What was so different about this one that they went to all the trouble to drive it out there?

I don't know, go all the way out to Suffolk just to see an old New Flyer C40LF. The other ones were auctioned off from within the city on eBay. What was so different about this one that they went to all the trouble to drive it out there?

I wondered if these were driven under their own power or towed?  It says it runs and drives, but I guess that doesn't mean anything.

When I first saw it I figured it was salvage or flooded in Sandy (or something) but it has a clear title and the damage listed is "normal wear & tear" (which I'd assume is extensive on a 1999). 

This bus ;ooks good, when I first saw the bus I didn't look at the title, I thought it was one of the new C40LF's then I saw it was a 1999.  I'm surprised they didn't take any parts out of the bus.

Looks like it's not the only one either. There appears to be atleast five others in the background.

Yes, but right now it's the only one listed, I don't know if those other buses have been sold or will go up for auction in the future.

If I am not mistaken, I do believe that one or two other units (822 or 852) are now operating under some other company, so maybe not.

It was 852...it was sitting parked by my house for about 2 months in the same spot (approvingly out never received a ticket lol) before someone moved it

I don't think the buses were damaged in Sandy or they would probably be somewhere else and not on the auction site.

Yup, Somewhere in Suffolk.

The buses are in service for a bus company in Suffolk? Where?

I don't think the buses were damaged in Sandy or they would probably be somewhere else and not on the auction site.

The buses are in service for a bus company in Suffolk? Where?

I know of at least one ex Gleason C40 was acquired by a commercial driver training school.  I think it's 822, maybe 811 but it can be seen on 110 occasionally. 

I know of at least one ex Gleason C40 was acquired by a commercial driver training school. I think it's 822, maybe 811 but it can be seen on 110 occasionally.

Oh, good to see they're putting the buses to good use. At first, when I read they were in Suffolk being used, I was thinking in service on Suffolk Transit. :o

If you google the vin#.....its 848 and that bus has been sitting on the auction site since Summer of 2012. http://www.subchat.com/buschat/readflat.asp?Id=263778

It was 852...it was sitting parked by my house for about 2 months in the same spot (approvingly out never received a ticket lol) before someone moved it

Interesting.

I know of at least one ex Gleason C40 was acquired by a commercial driver training school.  I think it's 822, maybe 811 but it can be seen on 110 occasionally. 

Very cool.  I bet the school is Commercial Driver Training, I see (or used to see) their trucks and buses all over 110.  It's good to see a company giving some of their students experience on a 40' transit bus.

I was hoping a Suffolk Transit operator purchesed these buses as a spare (yes I know the buses are owned by Suffolk County).

Do you know if it was a diesel or CNG bus?

Wow Gilligs getting a beating here.  lol  I've seen many senior drivers on the 35ft Gilligs, I've been told that's because senior drivers have gotten comfortable with the 35ft buses and don't want to deal with the newer 40ft buses, I've also been told senior drivers prefer the Gilligs over the newer Orions, and also that they're "used" to the Gilligs so that's why they chose them.  It's probably a combination of that, but I'd assume if you'd been used to a Gillig for that long and are set in your way a new Orion is going to seem....different.

Wow Gilligs getting a beating here.  lol  I've seen many senior drivers on the 35ft Gilligs, I've been told that's because senior drivers have gotten comfortable with the 35ft buses and don't want to deal with the newer 40ft buses, I've also been told senior drivers prefer the Gilligs over the newer Orions, and also that they're "used" to the Gilligs so that's why they chose them.  It's probably a combination of that, but I'd assume if you'd been used to a Gillig for that long and are set in your way a new Orion is going to seem....different.

I did say "some" of the Gilligs, for a lot of municipalities they work fine, and I think they hold up pretty darn good at the airports, considering the beating they take. 

Archived