Mayor Bloomberg to Sound of on Earphone Safety

BM5 via Woodhaven

Bloomberg is doing a great job addressing these problems, but is it necessary at the moment. We have many other problems like transportation at the moment. $250 million should not be put to waste for something so minimal.

Transportation?

How about Unemployment, Homelessness, Budget issues, etc...

Look, its an ad campaign, not something to build support for a new law. At the most, you'll just get some new ads on TV. Who cares if you don't every commercial you see? You'll still be able to hear your music with your precious beats at whatever volume you wish. You going deaf is not anyone's problem but your own. I see no problem in this new campaign and I agree with Amtrak7.

Yeah, this mofo is way out of his mind.

Besides, what does he have to worry about? The majority of people are using "ear-buds" which are barely considered quality headsets. The majority of the populous doesn't even own an actual pair of headphones.

Hell, most use headsets with MP3 Players, which even at the highest volume do not capture the sound quality and intensity of sound that is achieved when using a Discman (CD's) or even a Walkman (cassette's) for that matter.

Imagine if he were mayor during the mid-late 80's, how would he combat the hearing loss associated with "ghetto blasters"? Or would he ban those for wasting an excess amount of batteries.

Seriously though, you think Bloomberg cares about the average NY'er? Please, eveyone one of us is a peon in his eyes.

I cringe at the those who hate Bloomberg. He's probably the greatest victory for public health and safety that NYC will have in the modern times!

Hate? Errr, no more like many disagree with his policies.

Speaking for myself, I don't hate Mr. Bloomberg as many others here.How? I never had lunch with the man in person to size up his character away from the spotlight, how can I hate Mr. Bloomberg?  I personally simply have major disagreements on many of his policies. It's OK to express constructive and non offensive critical opinions regarding city, state and federal politicians right? I would think so. First amendment constitutional right, I'm a US citizen and I will excersize my right. So will everyone else here.

He did make the right move on the smoking ban I will give it to him for that.

Thank you.

You liked to a Breitbart story reporting something the New York Post broke? Sorry, you could sh!t out news more legitimate than that... Not paying attention to this story until a real outlet confirms it.

This coming from somebody who detests Bloomberg, too.

You liked to a Breitbart story reporting something the New York Post broke? Sorry, you could sh!t out news more legitimate than that... Not paying attention to this story until a real outlet confirms it.

This coming from somebody who detests Bloomberg, too.

This good enough for you: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/03/06/report-cranked-up-earphones-next-on-bloombergs-health-hit-list/. ?

Yessir! Breitbart's site is just most godawful place, that link killed me.

Agree with the above, this is nonsense. Nonsense not just because this is far beyond where he should be involved, but nonsense because this is nowhere near the worst noise problem we have in this city. My 5 minutes at 14th on the Lex every day mean roughly 110 decibels of noise, far more than I ever play on my iPod. I might go deaf, but it won't be the iPod that does it.

Agree with the above, this is nonsense. Nonsense not just because this is far beyond where he should be involved, but nonsense because this is nowhere near the worst noise problem we have in this city. My 5 minutes at 14th on the Lex every day mean roughly 110 decibels of noise, far more than I ever play on my iPod. I might go deaf, but it won't be the iPod that does it.

Damn. I couldn't has said that any better than this. Glass shattering slam dunk. 

I think Bloomberg has been pointing out WAY too many health concerns... I see how in his eyes he's just trying to help people be more healthy, but we see it as taking away what we like. I really do see he went overboard with the soda ban... I mean c'mon, people are simply just going to buy two 16-oz drinks instead of one 32 oz drink. 

Now with the headphone thing, I think its good he's pointing this out. Not only does it damage people's hearing, but it bothers others when your on public transportation and you hear someone blasting rap music out their earphones. I find it extremly annoying when someone comes on a half-empty bus with no-one talking and all of a sudden someone comes in with their headphones blasting so loud that you can hear it from the other end of the bus...

The thing is, i'd rather have someone blasting it thru their headphones than without headphones... Thats what really pisses me off. What, you can't afford to buy a pair of ear-buds meanwhile you have a $500 iPhone?

Archived