Take the Nostalgia Train to the Yankees Home Opener

For more: http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=1011

Take the Nostalgia Train to the Yankees Home Opener
1011-nostalgia-train-1.jpg1011-nostalgia-train-2.jpg

Yankee fans riding the subway to Opening Day on Monday against their bitter rivals the Boston Red Sox are in for a special treat.  Fans can head up to Yankee Stadium riding aboard New York City Transit’s special “Nostalgia Train.”  First pitch is at 1:05 p.m.

The Yankees have a stellar 4-1 record in home openers since the MTA first ran the “Nostalgia Train” to the Stadium in 2008.  So Yankee fans, get the season started off right and ride the “Nostalgia Train” to the game!

The four-car “Nostalgia Special” (photo attached below) will depart from Grand Central-42nd Street on the 4, uptown express platform at 11:30 a.m. and run non-stop to 161st Street-Yankee Stadium.  The cars on the train will be the 1917 vintage Lo-V (low voltage) cars, which were removed from regular passenger service in 196

:lol:  The number "9" is missing. 

Actually 1964. These are Mainline Lo-Vs, not the Steinways that ran on the 3rd Avenue El. Though Mainline Lo-V trailers did run on the 3rd Avenue El like 4902 for example, which has been fully restored I might add. 

I was able to get on those Low-V's once in my whole entire life, last year, on the Lex from 59th Street via express all the way home, on route as a (4). Caught it by pure chance. That was a heck of a lot of fun. These things got quite a kick to it, I was impressed by it's performance. I would definitiely recommend to anyone who wants to railfan one of these classics to do just that, it's a joyride.

I always wanted to ride on one of the BMT multiplexes but that's not happening anytime soon........

Cool! Really, they were built in 1917 and removed in 196, a negative lifespan.

Also, during the games I think some (C) trains should run via Concourse, as it'll help a little.

Totally agree a million percent. It dictates common sense. Throw some (C) service on the GC on weekends, and even perhaps some weekend (B) service during game timewould be a viable option. It would clearly pay off as ridershiip patterns and fares collected would certaintly pay for the OT wages of the train crews during games would'nt it?

The IND did it in the mid 20th century.

Never understood why Central Command do not or refuse to understand that these (D) trains are CRUSHLOADED ridiculous beyond a dream during game nights (Especially during weeknight rush hours forcing me to commute by car to avoid the mayhem) and additional service can solve that problem. They need to bring this up to the directors in the agency. At least increased service on the (D) so no time is wasted with the unnecessary switching at 161st when the trains are running express on the GC during the evening commute. Don't they listen to their train crews and TSS's and actually consider their feedback from such situations in service patterns let alone the straphangers? I know, 'budget constraints' as usual. 'Shortage' of cars. Yeah right, cry me a river!

That's what fare revenue is for to pay for the expenses and still get a surplus in profits, obviously, with the increase in ridership, during game days or nights, for obvious reasons. If they was to go to feverish lengths to cockblock Lunar New Year and St. Patty celebrators for (7) GO's for the sake of getting ready for the Mets season I would imagine then they would do the same for Yankee games. Invest in additional service! End of story!

The way they do things at the top of the chain in the agency sometimes, really......

Yeah I had to let it out, wanted to say this for a long time lol. :lol:

Cool! Really, they were built in 1917 and removed in 196, a negative lifespan.

Also, during the games I think some (C) trains should run via Concourse, as it'll help a little.

I think those extra trains should be the (D) instead like they do during the weekday. More like adding some more (D) service than rerouting another line. In any case, I can't agree with your thought that it should be the (C) as it is already infrequent and its two cars shorter.

Since the Yankees got a nostaglia train why the Mets never had a nostaglia train event?

They could had rolled a redbird (7) just for fun if they still have it in the Corona Yard.

The train itself has a higher fanbase than the Mets :lol:

I agree with you.  During weekday matinees and weekend games, there should be extra service going to Yankee and Mets games.  There is already extra service after baseball games.  Also, SEPTA runs events express specials to Pattison before events.

MTA Service Info
Delays  Posted: 04/01/2013  6:14AM 

Monday, April 1, take the b.pngd.png and 4.png trains to 161 St-Yankee Stadium for the Yankees' Home Opener, starting at 1:05 PM. 

Well I guess I'm going get the car started and drive to the work site today, first day, ain't taking no chances being stranded on the way home. No way. You know the evening commute is going to be a horrid mess this evening. Could bypass all of that and take the MNRR though.......

All good with the Yankee fans, cool. But I've seen alot of drunk dudes causind major disturbances on the (D) that can be annoying to tired people just trying to get home from work. I'll just follow up on the season opener on ESPN later tonight.

Since the Yankees got a nostaglia train why the Mets never had a nostaglia train event?

They could had rolled a redbird (7) just for fun if they still have it in the Corona Yard.

They've run redbirds/train of many troubles colors on the 7 for the Mets before.

Hasn't happened in a while though...the last time I can remember was 2008 when Shea Stadium closed...can't remember if they ran when Citi opened or not.

The train itself has a higher fanbase than the Mets :lol:

Sadly, true. And this is a Mets fan speaking....

Yes but I think will see a red bird during the all star game at citi field. Lets Go Mets

Hold your heads high and rejoice! Did you see that game? My god. Ruben Tejada had the big, early hit and afterwards Collin Cowgill nailed the 7th inning jaw dropping grand slam wham goodbye see u later to the moon hit to set matters straight for the 11-2 win against the Padres with authority. Ahem, expect a (7) redbird to hit the rails on the IRT Flushing line shortly in the coming weeks and months. I mean this is the only one out of two times the Mets managed to pull off a grand slam in the history of the team! On opening day!

Let's go Mets! Wooooooooooo........

Oh so realizm is a Met fan. That's cool.

On topic, I am hoping I see the train of many colors for the 2013 All Star Game. Does anybody remember if the Nostalgia train ran to Yankee Stadium in 2008 before the All Star Game started?

Oh so realizm is a Met fan. That's cool.

MEET THE METS,

MEET THE METS,

Step right up and greet the Mets!

Bring your kiddies,

bring your wife;

Guaranteed to have the time of your life

because the Mets are really sockin' the ball; knocking those home runs over the wall!

On topic, I am hoping I see the train o..........

Ok I'll stop now.

They've run redbirds/train of many troubles colors on the 7 for the Mets before.

Hasn't happened in a while though...the last time I can remember was 2008 when Shea Stadium closed...can't remember if they ran when Citi opened or not.

The last time the TOMC ran was 2009. They did a run to South Ferry (new station). As for whether any of those SMEEs will run this year is up in the air at this point due to the obvious reasons.

The last time the TOMC ran was 2009. They did a run to South Ferry (new station). As for whether any of those SMEEs will run this year is up in the air at this point due to the obvious reasons.

They had some big problems with it last I heard of it, it's basically inoperable.

They had some big problems with it last I heard of it, it's basically inoperable.

That is one of the obvious reasons. I heard some issues took place with the train too. You also have to consider the condition of the trains too (assuming some of them were stored outside exposed to the elements).

That trip to South Ferry Terminal was a museum excursion. I was referring to the last time they ran in regular passenger service, which I believe was 2008 when Shea closed. I don't remember if they ran on Opening Day 2009 for Citi or not. They definitely have not run since.

Archived