Thoughts on the BM3?

Kriston Lewis

aren't you better off taking the (N)(R) or (Q) to 14th street to catch up with an x28 futher down it's route? If you have an unlimited monthly or local weekly your express bus ppr cost goes down to $3.50 now due to updated transfer policies.

I don't use either of those metrocards as it is once in a blue moon that I come into the city without driving for Lakeland. But it's like I said, I go to 5th Ave off the M42 and hunt for a X28 stop. Not too familiar with lower end stops as I immediately doze off upon entry and a seat :)

I don't use either of those metrocards as it is once in a blue moon that I come into the city without driving for Lakeland. But it's like I said, I go to 5th Ave off the M42 and hunt for a X28 stop. Not too familiar with lower end stops as I immediately doze off upon entry and a seat :)

Interesting you drive for lakeland PM me I have questions for you big time.

1) I personally don't care why they aren't on the BM3, or where they're at on whatever public transportation mode.....

2) Of course I have - Enough for me to tell you there being a lot of hot 20 somethings on the x1/10/17 is a blatant embellishment.....

I'll even take the subjective/adjective "hot" part out of the equation - You aint fin to see a bunch of 20 year old chicks like that on the express......

BM3 off peak ridership is scattered along ocean & parts of sheepshead; there is no one stop or particular area you can gauge a majority from.....

3) You just put em in the same sentence..... Try practicing what you preach.

- Why is the B100 "SRO crushed" (lol) during the rush?

You got the Madison HS kids (for starters) & the masses going to/coming from the Brighton line (which includes ppl. coming off the 44).....

Now I don't know if service got any better on that line, but the 100 used to have the problem of buses running few & far between......

- Where do those pax get off anyway?

I'm hoping you mean in general..... In what direction of travel are you inquiring about anyway?

- Why don't B100 riders use the BM1?

Think about it - maybe because you have those that take the B100 that aren't going to/coming from Mill Basin..... maybe because those that are taking B100's to the subway aren't going to Manhattan.... maybe it's a cost issue....

the B100 in the morning is always packed with those NewFlyer CNGs both AM Rush and PM rush every season but most of the time this route runs through JMHS as a daily rider and alot of other schools but most of the time its packed in Fillmore Av and E.66 St

And the BM1 gets its seats filled up PM rush many times but compare that on a weekend

I took it again this evening. Worked out well, in fact one of the other riders greeted me with saying "You're back!". I guess expresses have some camaraderie attached with them. I'll be living there starting Tuesday.

Now I don't know if service got any better on that line, but the 100 used to have the problem of buses running few & far between......

This evening, there was a conga line of about 6-8 buses on layover at Kings Highway.

the B100 in the morning is always packed with those NewFlyer CNGs both AM Rush and PM rush

Saw a couple this evening that were packed also, although there was still some room in the back. That's a problem with the low floors in general.

the B100 in the morning is always packed with those NewFlyer CNGs both AM Rush and PM rush every season but most of the time this route runs through JMHS as a daily rider and alot of other schools but most of the time its packed in Fillmore Av and E.66 St

And the BM1 gets its seats filled up PM rush many times but compare that on a weekend

Ok, but I'm not questioning the B100's usage..... I know they're packed.

This evening, there was a conga line of about 6-8 buses on layover at Kings Highway.

Yeah, I've also seen the line of buses that goes as far north on E.16th to about midblock b/w kings highway & av. P on quite a few occasions..... How consistently these buses are leaving from the terminal, is another story (which is what I'm inquiring about).....

I took it again this evening. Worked out well, in fact one of the other riders greeted me with saying "You're back!". I guess expresses have some camaraderie attached with them. I'll be living there starting Tuesday.

LOL... Yes, we have our little clicks... I have a few folks that I yack with here and there on the Riverdale expresses... Some of the BM3 can be quite friendly from my own personal experiences, at least at the stops anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All

This is my first time posting as I would love to try out the BM3 as I really hate the q train.

I live in the Coney Island area (ave u) and curious to know if anyone would be willing to help me with my commute. I used my hopstop app to see how I can figure this out.

It's telling me I should take the b68 to Beverly Rd to catch the super express. My question is that if I do get on at this stop will the bus be super crowded? Or should I just take the ave u bus (b3) and catch another bm3 (non super express)

Thanks in advance! I hope to check out this forum on a regular basis :)

Hey All

This is my first time posting as I would love to try out the BM3 as I really hate the q train.

I live in the Coney Island area (ave u) and curious to know if anyone would be willing to help me with my commute. I used my hopstop app to see how I can figure this out.

It's telling me I should take the b68 to Beverly Rd to catch the super express. My question is that if I do get on at this stop will the bus be super crowded? Or should I just take the ave u bus (b3) and catch another bm3 (non super express)

When I lived in Midwood I would just walk most of the time if I was walking from say Coney Island Avenue to Ocean Avenue or take the bus for the short distance.  If you get on at Avenue U it won't be too crowded.  Why would you avoid taking a Super-Express?  The Super Expresses are for Midtown (bypass Downtown) so unless you work Downtown, the BM3 Super Express is best.  I hate taking the (Q) too, so I use the express bus when I go back to Sheepshead Bay.  I just hate the crowds and the ghetto like atmosphere that exists at times.  BM3 is much more civilized and tranquil. I'll be using it either tomorrow or Saturday since I need to run some errands down there. Nice to have another express bus convert around here.  :D

When I lived in Midwood I would just walk most of the time if I was walking from say Coney Island Avenue to Ocean Avenue or take the bus for the short distance.  If you get on at Avenue U it won't be too crowded.  Why would you avoid taking a Super-Express?  The Super Expresses are for Midtown (bypass Downtown) so unless you work Downtown, the BM3 Super Express is best.  I hate taking the (Q) too, so I use the express bus when I go back to Sheepshead Bay.  I just hate the crowds and the ghetto like atmosphere that exists at times.  BM3 is much more civilized and tranquil. I'll be using it either tomorrow or Saturday since I need to run some errands down there. Nice to have another express bus convert around here.  :D

What do you know of the BM4's habits?

Thanks for your response.

I am just not sure of the super express schedule. My assumption is that the time i entered into hopstop there is no super express stopping on ave u/ocean ave. They did not mention the super express on Ave U for some reason.

Sorry a first timer so I'm a bit confused. PS yes I'm in midtown, 34th st :)

Another person fed up with the Brigton.... Surprise, surprise....

Growing trend I'm starting to notice....

Hey All

Welcome to the forums!

To answer your concerns....

In the morning, yeah the express is gonna be crowded by time it hits Beverly.... That's the second to last pick-up stop in Brooklyn before heading into Manhattan.... It is 100% senseless to waste 1/2 hour taking the B68 from Av U to Beverly, to then xfer over to the BM3 or BM4.... You're way better off taking the B3 (or walking, if you're close enough) to Ocean av & just taking the BM3 from there (Av U/Ocean av)...

You work in midtown, take the super express... during the AM hours b/w like 6:30 & 8, the midtown buses (super expresses) & the downtown loop buses are all you're gonna be seeing running to manhattan anyway.... That's how service is set up on the BM1, 2, 3, and 4 - peak direction buses only either serve lower manhattan or midtown manhattan.... Weekends & weekday off peak hrs, the lower manhattan & the midtown manhattan services are combined....

....btw, I'm also someone that abandoned the Brighton line (used to take the (B) to west 4th, if you're curious) for the express bus... Crowds have gotten worse; got sick of letting trains pass to the point where I had to try to squeeze onto one @ Church..... I take the BM1 downtown loop buses from utica/flatlands & xfer over to the M5.... BM1 is usually about 1/3 to 1/2 full by time I get on... No problems getting a seat whatsoever.....

Thanks for your response.

I am just not sure of the super express schedule. My assumption is that the time i entered into hopstop there is no super express stopping on ave u/ocean ave. They did not mention the super express on Ave U for some reason.

Sorry a first timer so I'm a bit confused. PS yes I'm in midtown, 34th st :)

hopstop sucks dude

Thanks again guys. I go to work a little late so I will be on a 8:45 bus

Hope it turns out well :) If it does I will be back for more :)

Trainmaster; if hopstop sucks can you suggest another way to check bus schedules and such? Is google maps any better?

Update(sorry there is no option to edit my post above)

I took the bm3 from ave u/ocean ave at around 8:24, and I loved it. Until the driver announced it was a downtown only bus!! I had to take the R train to my destination from trinity.

Just curious how this happened? I thought I was getting on a super express to Madison Ave. I am not upset but I want to plan better for my next trip on the bus.

Trainmaster; if hopstop sucks can you suggest another way to check bus schedules and such? Is google maps any better?

Otherwise, if you can get out earlier in the mornings, you can get that 08:25 Super Express that stops at Ave U. and Ocean.  You can purchase a weekly Express Bus Plus card for $55.00 a week if you ride on Saturdays.  There is no service on Sundays on the BM express buses, but you can always grab the X27.  The X28 may be back soon as well which I'm involved with fighting to get restored.  :D  Brooklyn needs to continue to fight to keep its express bus service as the subway is not the answer for everyone. 

err yes google is slightly better just download BM schedules on mta.info via full site avoid mobile sites.

Otherwise, if you can get out earlier in the mornings, you can get that 08:25 Super Express that stops at Ave U. and Ocean. You can purchase a weekly Express Bus Plus card for $55.00 a week if you ride on Saturdays. There is no service on Sundays on the BM express buses, but you can always grab the X27. The X28 may be back soon as well which I'm involved with fighting to get restored. :D Brooklyn needs to continue to fight to keep its express bus service as the subway is not the answer for everyone.

Dude you do realize X27 is no where near the BM3 right so that isn't a viable option for one who needs the BM3 he will have to use the (Q) regardless. As B35 stated the rush crowds are crazy hence the importance of BM3 at rush hour other times not so much forget sunday unless (Q) screws up in that situation BM3 should run an emergency enhanced weekend schedule when brighton line has G/Os so Bm3 can get more use on weekends.

Dude you do realize X27 is no where near the BM3 right so that isn't a viable option for one who needs the BM3 he will have to use the (Q) regardless. As B35 stated the rush crowds are crazy hence the importance of BM3 at rush hour other times not so much forget sunday unless (Q) screws up in that situation BM3 should run an emergency enhanced weekend schedule when brighton line has G/Os so Bm3 can get more use on weekends.

It's an option if he wants to use it.  I'll be using it tomorrow. I REFUSE to take that damn subway when I have an express bus card and can ride in comfort with no beggars aggravating me.  I'm using the BM3 to get to Sheepshead Bay and heading to Bay Ridge for a while to relax and will take the X27 to the city after that.  

It's an option if he wants to use it. I'll be using it tomorrow. I REFUSE to take that damn subway when I have an express bus card and can ride in comfort with no beggars aggravating me. I'm using the BM3 to get to Sheepshead Bay and heading to Bay Ridge for a while to relax and will take the X27 to the city after that.

ok if in bay ridge x27 works in sheepshead bay BM3 works. Which stops on bm4 get the most use?

ok if in bay ridge x27 works in sheepshead bay BM3 works. Which stops on bm4 get the most use?

The BM4 is a back up bus for me.  Nothing more, so I can't say as I don't go to Gerritsen Beach that often.  Usually the times that I've waited for it, a late BM1 comes rolling up.  <_<

Google maps is better than hopstop, I'll say that much..

But if you want the official MTA schedule for the BM3 (from the MTA website), here it is: 

BM3 timetable (click the link & print it if you want)

Update(sorry there is no option to edit my post above)

I took the bm3 from ave u/ocean ave at around 8:24, and I loved it.

Until the driver announced it was a downtown only bus!! I had to take the R train to my destination from trinity.

Just curious how this happened? I thought I was getting on a super express to Madison Ave. I am not upset but I want to plan better for my next trip on the bus.

1] You have to look at the destination sign.... As I stated earlier, there are two specific peak hour services:

- The downtown loop buses (that only serve lower manhattan)

- The super express buses (that only serve midtown manhattan)

2] You have to make sure the bus you're boarding reads this signage:

Midtown

57th st

Some drivers may have the "super express" signage up after it reads Midtown 57th st, some might not

(but during the AM peak, they still go express to midtown)... At the very least, you have to get on a bus that has the Midtown 57th st signage....

Just be a little more careful next time.... and of course, when in doubt, don't hesitate to ask the driver...

It's an option if he wants to use it.  I'll be using it tomorrow. I REFUSE to take that damn subway when I have an express bus card and can ride in comfort with no beggars aggravating me.  I'm using the BM3 to get to Sheepshead Bay and heading to Bay Ridge for a while to relax and will take the X27 to the city after that.  

I have a question for you you were knowledgeable about the BXM6 earlier right which stops get more riders metropolitan oval or hugh grant circle?

I have a question for you you were knowledgeable about the BXM6 earlier right which stops get more riders metropolitan oval or hugh grant circle?

There are only three pick up stops.  In talking with a Parkchester resident on here, it seems as if the first stop is the big pick up.  B35 can confirm this better than I can.

easily met oval....

....and anymore questions about the route, ask them in the bronx thread.....

There are only three pick up stops.  In talking with a Parkchester resident on here, it seems as if the first stop is the big pick up.  B35 can confirm this better than I can.

Correct.

Archived